Before Watchmen!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Prep-Man
Damn, this sounds good. Nice lineup of creators. This will counter X-Men Vs Avengers from Marvel.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36724

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=36726

Martian_mind
Comedian+Brain Azzarello?

This could actually be awesome.

Yeah, **** you Alan Moore.

Kazenji
Who the hell gives a shit about Moore nowadays, He's just a grumpy old man now

sounds good this thing.

Bentley
Cannot say I care much about this, barring the pleasure of the desecration Moore's old works to hear him whine.

Digi
lol at the Moore hatred. It's his creation, he's entitled to be upset if he wants. Frankly, I kind of agree with him...this is pretty shameless. Nothing else needs to be written in the Watchmen-verse for it to be complete, but they're dredging it up for sales. If they cared about artistic integrity, they'd try to bring Moore back on or drop it entirely.

-K-M-
Curious if they will follow the art style as in the original Watchman, or redo the outfits from the movie?

roughrider
Originally posted by Digi
lol at the Moore hatred. It's his creation, he's entitled to be upset if he wants. Frankly, I kind of agree with him...this is pretty shameless. Nothing else needs to be written in the Watchmen-verse for it to be complete, but they're dredging it up for sales. If they cared about artistic integrity, they'd try to bring Moore back on or drop it entirely.

I agree. I thought they legally needed his consent, too. Wasn't Jim Lee trying to persuade him to sign off on this, and he refused?

JakeTheBank

This.

There is literally no reason for this to be made.

Mr.Mxyzptlk
I'm disgusted and appalled at the very idea of them doing this.

srankmissingnin
I agree with Digi that this is unnecessary and I'm not overtly excited... but I have to say that is a murders' row of amazing artists. Should put these guys to work on some books I actually want to read, instead of all the crappy "90s Image style" guys DC have penciling their current on goings.

Adam Hughes on Dr Manhattan? That's not the type of cheese cake art I'm after. lol

JakeTheBank
Also can't say I'm thrilled with JMS on the project.

Digi
Disgusted probably isn't the term I'd use. JMS makes the point that Moore has written stories for many characters created by other authors, including very famous characters like those in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. JMS calls it a double standard to say Moore can do that, but others can't use Moore's work. Of course, it's wrapped in all kinds of praise for Moore so as not to seem callous.

It's a fair point. But I think the fault is that many characters (Superman, for instance) were serialized. The mode of storytelling lent itself to ongoing adventures. Others did not. Authorial intent should also be considered imo, as a show of decency. It might not be wrong to write this, but it's certainly insulting to Moore, so their hands aren't totally morally clean when they essentially ignore what he says.

Obviously, I can't bring myself to outrage of any sort. But I still tend to side with "it didn't need to be made."

Rage.Of.Olympus
They should be using these creative teams for the DCnU instead of this shameless money grab.

Bentley
I don't hate Moore, I just love to hear him whine. That way you can realize the kind of cranky hermit he has always been stick out tongue

Edit: Also his argument about Moby Dick is kind of crap, there have been sequels to Crime and Punishment and to Animal Farm, but they are not considered as a part of the books themselves.

JakeTheBank
Disgusted probably isn't the term I'd use. JMS makes the point that Moore has written stories for many characters created by other authors, including very famous characters like those in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. JMS calls it a double standard to say Moore can do that, but others can't use Moore's work. Of course, it's wrapped in all kinds of praise for Moore so as not to seem callous.

It's a fair point. But I think the fault is that many characters (Superman, for instance) were serialized. The mode of storytelling lent itself to ongoing adventures. Others did not. Authorial intent should also be considered imo, as a show of decency. It might not be wrong to write this, but it's certainly insulting to Moore, so their hands aren't totally morally clean when they essentially ignore what he says.

Obviously, I can't bring myself to outrage of any sort. But I still tend to side with "it didn't need to be made."

I lost a lot of respect for JMS when he started bashing the creative team for Spider-Man like a kid on the internet. Ever since he jumped to DC, his work has been lacking a lot.

Prep-Man
The covers look fantastic.

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/prepman005/WATCHMEN_2012_ROR_Cvr-666x1024.jpg
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/prepman005/WATCHMEN_2012_OZY_Cvr-666x1024.jpg
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/prepman005/WATCHMEN_2012_NITE_Cvr-666x1024.jpg
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/prepman005/WATCHMEN_2012_MM_Cvr-666x1024.jpg
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/prepman005/WATCHMEN_2012_DR_M_Cvr-666x1024.jpg
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/prepman005/WATCHMEN_2012_SILK_Cvr-666x1024.jpg
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/prepman005/WATCHMEN_2012_COM_Cvr-666x1024.jpg

srankmissingnin
What that Rorschach cover as a poster.

Prep-Man
What about it?

Badabing
I'll read it. And I disagree with everyone about Moore. sneer

Hatred is good. biscuits

roughrider
JMS is a part time comic writer these days; he can't commit to a regular schedule, so stick him with the occasional mini. Brian Azzarello I have a lot of faith in, as well as Darwyn Cooke.

I predict all of these creators steer well clear of Alan Moore at the next Comic Con. evil face

Galan007
I'm glad Moore doesn't have anything to do with this, tbh. I know most consider the original Watchmen series to be a classic, but it really doesn't hold up well, imo. I've tried reading it a few times over the past couple of years, and I just.... Don't like it. ermm

quanchi112
Originally posted by Rage.Of.Olympus
They should be using these creative teams for the DCnU instead of this shameless money grab. Dc is pretty pathetic as a company in general. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

Kazenji
For the Moore hate..i remember seeing something Jason Aaron wrote for his article over at CBR, Him telling Moore to get ****ed not sure what it was over.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Kazenji
For the Moore hate..i remember seeing something Jason Aaron wrote for his article over at CBR, Him telling Moore to get ****ed not sure what it was over.

Really? What happened?

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Galan007
I'm glad Moore doesn't have anything to do with this, tbh. I know most consider the original Watchmen series to be a classic, but it really doesn't hold up well, imo. I've tried reading it a few times over the past couple of years, and I just.... Don't like it. ermm

GASP! I'm shocked you didn't like what is considered the greatest comic book story of all time! wink

Seriously, I agree with you. It wasn't bad per say, but I'll laugh my ass off if this prequel is better than the original, which I think it will be.

Did you enjoy Sandman more? It's considered by some to be the greatest run in comics.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Prep-Man
Really? What happened?

I found it

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/06/creators-react-to-jason-aarons-reaction-to-alan-moores-reaction-to-being-offered-the-watchmen-rights-back/

its to do with these Prequels/sequels for Watchmen, DC trying to offer the rights back to Moore

Moore basically saying the current comic book industry has'nt got a 'Top flight of talent' or even a middle or bottom.

Mr.Mxyzptlk
Originally posted by quanchi112
Dc is pretty pathetic as a company in general. This doesn't surprise me one bit.

I really hate these dark times when I find myself at least partially seeing what Quan says as making sense. sad

Prep-Man
I found it

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/01/06/creators-react-to-jason-aarons-reaction-to-alan-moores-reaction-to-being-offered-the-watchmen-rights-back/

its to do with these Prequels/sequels for Watchmen, DC trying to offer the rights back to Moore

Moore basically saying the current comic book industry has'nt got a 'Top flight of talent' or even a middle or bottom.

Wow. confused

Thanks for the link.

-Pr-
Watchmen is overrated, but lol @ people accusing DC of being pathetic.

Butthurt ftw.

Mr.Mxyzptlk
Originally posted by -Pr-
Watchmen is overrated, but lol @ people accusing DC of being pathetic.

Butthurt ftw.

I find the majority of the comic industry as pathetic and have for years now. That's why I said partially. wink

Bentley
Seriously, I agree with you. It wasn't bad per say, but I'll laugh my ass off if this prequel is better than the original, which I think it will be.

I highly doubt it. Gibbons detail and visual storytelling alone is leagues above most of the visuals that most comics have been putting out in recent years.

Prep-Man
Originally posted by Bentley
I highly doubt it. Gibbons detail and visual storytelling alone is leagues above most of the visuals that most comics have been putting out in recent years.

It just didn't engage me. Most of the creators involved here are insanely good. I LOVE Cooke. If his Minutemen is half has good as New Frontier (Which was a masterpiece, IMO), it will be awesome and IMO better than Watchmen. Watchmen is good, but not the greatest comic book story, IMO.

Bentley
I'm not saying Watchmen is the best, but one of the reasons it is very good is that the art conveys a lot of information, it's an integral part of what made the storytelling in the book so effective. I mean no disrespect to any generic comic artist, but many of them just draw pretty pictures to illustrate the story. If it loses that element it won't even read like Watchmen at all.

roughrider
There was a more legitimate reason to do this three years ago, when the Watchmen movie came out. But just as that movie carried a feeling of 'sigh...well it's here', this feels like something well past the point of relevance.

roughrider
I found it

While one could read into it Moore is extremely arrogant, he makes a point that is true not just for this & comics, but also for the Hollywood industry and their obsessions for constant sequels and remakes these days. He's saying stop trying to hump the corpse of something written 25 years ago, and instead find someone who's written something that is radically original and could be the next Watchmen event.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Mr.Mxyzptlk
I really hate these dark times when I find myself at least partially seeing what Quan says as making sense. sad I'm still sore at them over the complete reboot. Such a slap in the face to longtime supporters of dc such as myself.

roughrider
I'm not surprised. After the only reboot that really meant something in 1985 (COIE), DC has gotten reboot crazy since then. Batman seems to be the only major character who gets left alone in these things, for the most part.

quanchi112
Originally posted by roughrider
I'm not surprised. After the only reboot that really meant something in 1985 (COIE), DC has gotten reboot crazy since then. Batman seems to be the only major character who gets left alone in these things, for the most part. Yeah, I am not surprised either but they keep changing everything and screwing over the fans who have been there for a long time. I know this business is about money in the end but they have been pretty shameless and this is just another example of it.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Mr.Mxyzptlk
I find the majority of the comic industry as pathetic and have for years now. That's why I said partially. wink

Why?

Originally posted by quanchi112
I'm still sore at them over the complete reboot. Such a slap in the face to longtime supporters of dc such as myself.

Don't lie. erm

I'm not surprised. After the only reboot that really meant something in 1985 (COIE), DC has gotten reboot crazy since then. Batman seems to be the only major character who gets left alone in these things, for the most part.

This is the first real reboot since 1985. That's twenty-seven years, and it's been an overwhelming success, and several DC mainstays are better for it.

Newjak
Originally posted by Galan007
I'm glad Moore doesn't have anything to do with this, tbh. I know most consider the original Watchmen series to be a classic, but it really doesn't hold up well, imo. I've tried reading it a few times over the past couple of years, and I just.... Don't like it. ermm You obviously just didn't get the story then and are not smart enough to understand the masterpiece it is!

Seriously though I agree with you. It was alright imo.

quanchi112

Don't lie. erm

It's true since my reemergence into the realm of comics. Off the top of my head I read countdown, legion of 3 worlds, multiple superman arcs, OWAW, multiple WW arcs, Day of Vengeance, Day of Judgment, Black Adam mini, Jsa arcs, Kingdom Come, LOSH arcs such as Foundations, Superman/Batman arcs, Kingdom,Jla arcs, sinestro corps war, paradise lost, 52, COIE, DOTNG, Spectre arcs, Green Lantern arcs, multiple annuals, and crossover tie ins, etc.

Now tell me none of this counts pretty much and you officially pissed me off.

roughrider

This is the first real reboot since 1985. That's twenty-seven years, and it's been an overwhelming success, and several DC mainstays are better for it.

So you don't count Zero Hour in 1994 or Infinite Crisis in 2006? Maybe they weren't as across the board, but it was DC again trying to work out their continuity and alter character history.

-Pr-
So you don't count Zero Hour in 1994 or Infinite Crisis in 2006? Maybe they weren't as across the board, but it was DC again trying to work out their continuity and alter character history.

They altered histories on a very minor level for the most part, so no, I wouldn't consider them reboots any more than say, tweaking Superman's history or adding Vulcan to X-Men lore. The major characters were left alone, and even in this new reboot, there are about a dozen characters who have already been confirmed as being pretty much unchanged.

Bentley
It's not a real reboot unless D-listers like Ted Kord get rebooted out of existing.

Digi
They altered histories on a very minor level for the most part, so no, I wouldn't consider them reboots any more than say, tweaking Superman's history or adding Vulcan to X-Men lore. The major characters were left alone, and even in this new reboot, there are about a dozen characters who have already been confirmed as being pretty much unchanged.

Well, be clear, Flashpoint was a wholesale reboot. They rearranged histories and details of basically everyone, whether they're admitting it or not. The very fact that they're surrounded by a different universe means that much has changed with them. And anything between the crises has been stripped from most characters explicitly.

I agree with you on the earlier stuff though. Even the middle crisis was tame in terms of retcons and changes. Change is often needed, so it wasn't a horrible move. I wonder if/when Marvel will follow suit because they see DC's sales.

quanchi112
I wonder if/when Marvel will follow suit because they see DC's sales. That's my biggest worry and will totally break bust off my rage-o-meter scale.

JakeTheBank
I think Marvel's history is far less flexible than DC's. They have what-ifs and different realities to play with outside of 616, too (Ultimate, AoA, Zombies, etc) so I don't think Marvel would do a massive across the line reboot - which is a good thing.

The reboot worked with DC because DC has a history of events having cataclysmic side effects which ripple across the multiverse, changing history as editorial deems necessary. Marvel has had no reason to ever do such a wide scale thing and doing it to boost sales would just be a gimmick. It could happen, sure, but it wouldn't make sense nor would it benefit Marvel beneficially.

srankmissingnin
I can't see Marvel rebooting anytime soon, especially since every indication is that DC's sales are leveling off and if things stay continue on pace we will be back to the status quo by the end of the year.

I think they should though. Marvel has never needed too since they has always been better at managing continuity across their line, but we are going on 70 some odd years of in continuity stories and as well as Marvel has been able to manage, things are gradually getting more convoluted and complicated as time goes on. I think a roll back would be beneficial especially with so many characters having fix date origins.

Prep-Man
Rumor has it that they will be rebooting, but it wouldn't make sense. They already started with #1's across the line. X-Men needs some major rebooting.

JakeTheBank
Marvel is pretty easy to jump into, as compared to DC prior to the reboot (though I personally had no problems, really). The X-Men are really the only aspect of the Marvel U that might need tweaking, but Spider-Man's canon is pretty straight forward, One More Day/Brand New Day included. Avengers canon is also pretty streamlined, and considering how the Avengers have been pushed as the cornerstone of the Marvel U for years and how much bigger they're getting, I can't see Marvel undoing all that history in an attempt to attract more fans.

Prep-Man
Most of DC's continuity is not that hard to follow. It may take a little work, but people make too much of a big deal out of it. Prior to 2005, I hardly read anything DC. I didn't even read that much books, but for me it wasn't hard to follow at all. It's not Shakespeare!

JakeTheBank
Well, you had already been a Marvel reader prior to that, correct? It's easy enough jumping into a brand or company of comics if you already have experience in another. Choosing what to read, figuring out your preferred style of art and writing, piecing together canonical events, etc. I had already worked out most of what made Marvel Comics tick by the time I started reading DC. And I didn't have any issues with it, but I still had to figure out what Post and Pre-Crisis meant, the impact Zero Hour had, etc, etc.

The books themselves aren't hard to get into or follow, but canonical events themselves are another story.

Prep-Man
Yeah, true. Marvel and Image. To the Extreme! big grin

roughrider
Most of DC's continuity is not that hard to follow. It may take a little work, but people make too much of a big deal out of it. Prior to 2005, I hardly read anything DC. I didn't even read that much books, but for me it wasn't hard to follow at all. It's not Shakespeare!

You should have seen what a big deal Crisis On Infinite Earths was in 1985 - 50 years of DC history was impossibly convoluted and had to be wiped clean. That was a true new beginning then.

Prep-Man
Impossible isn't the word I would use. I read a bunch of those stories too and it's not that hard to get into. At least for me. COIE was probably the best big event I have read.

srankmissingnin
Impossible isn't the word I would use. I read a bunch of those stories too and it's not that hard to get into. At least for me. COIE was probably the best big event I have read.

I think you should download some PC and Silver Age Superman comics (Superman, Action, Superman's GF Lois Lane, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen) and let us know how well you fallow whats going on, and if there is a sense of continuity from one issue to the next let alone across the Superman line. Silver Age virtually had no continuity, shit changed on a whim from issue to issue. cool

Prep-Man
I can follow just fine. cool

quanchi112
Originally posted by srankmissingnin
I can't see Marvel rebooting anytime soon, especially since every indication is that DC's sales are leveling off and if things stay continue on pace we will be back to the status quo by the end of the year.

I think they should though. Marvel has never needed too since they has always been better at managing continuity across their line, but we are going on 70 some odd years of in continuity stories and as well as Marvel has been able to manage, things are gradually getting more convoluted and complicated as time goes on. I think a roll back would be beneficial especially with so many characters having fix date origins. I do think once the newness wears off marvel will be back on top. They are just the superior company across the board. They aren't perfect but I prefer marvel by leaps and bounds to dc.

Prep-Man
jms addresses before watchmen/babylon 5 comparisons.

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&d=36766

Galan007
Did you enjoy Sandman more? I enjoyed Sandman a LOT more.

Existere
Ah... ugh.

Watchmen's one of my favorite books. A lot of people think it's overrated or just OK, and that's cool, but I personally feel it really deserves all the cred it gets. I don't really want them to touch the characters, but I guess that won't ruin the integrity of the original book, and will allow people who have wanted to explore those characters further a chance to do so... I guess.

-Pr-
Well, be clear, Flashpoint was a wholesale reboot. They rearranged histories and details of basically everyone, whether they're admitting it or not. The very fact that they're surrounded by a different universe means that much has changed with them. And anything between the crises has been stripped from most characters explicitly.

I agree with you on the earlier stuff though. Even the middle crisis was tame in terms of retcons and changes. Change is often needed, so it wasn't a horrible move. I wonder if/when Marvel will follow suit because they see DC's sales.

Huh?

Originally posted by JakeTheBank
Marvel is pretty easy to jump into, as compared to DC prior to the reboot (though I personally had no problems, really). The X-Men are really the only aspect of the Marvel U that might need tweaking, but Spider-Man's canon is pretty straight forward, One More Day/Brand New Day included. Avengers canon is also pretty streamlined, and considering how the Avengers have been pushed as the cornerstone of the Marvel U for years and how much bigger they're getting, I can't see Marvel undoing all that history in an attempt to attract more fans.

X-Men is straight ****ed up in general.

srankmissingnin
Originally posted by Existere
Ah... ugh.

Watchmen's one of my favorite books. A lot of people think it's overrated or just OK, and that's cool, but I personally feel it really deserves all the cred it gets. I don't really want them to touch the characters, but I guess that won't ruin the integrity of the original book, and will allow people who have wanted to explore those characters further a chance to do so... I guess.

I think a lot of it has to do with Watchmen being an exploration of the medium and a commentary on superheroes and politics of an era that is really no longer relevant. Watchmen was the a product of the time it was created in, but the comic book industry and superheros have moved on since then... largely because books like Watchman (and TDKR, Maus and Born Again... really anything from '86) elevated the medium and opened the door for change. Watchmen is a seminal book, and maybe on of the most important comics ever created, but removed from the context of it's creation I can see why it might not read like anything special.

That's one of the reasons I'm sceptically about this project. What do these creative teams have to say about the comic book medium or politics that requires the Watchman brand? My guess is not much and this is just a vehicle to tell character driven stories where the plot is largely inconsequential.

Prep-Man
I will bet you five bucks it will be good? Will it be as revolutionary as Moore's tale? Definitely not, but in Cooke I trust!

Kazenji
Alan Moore should grow up

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/comics/news/?a=53928

roughrider
George Lucas gets endless flak from certain media and fanboy quarters, for continuing the Star Wars stories - his creation, that he owns - the way he sees fit. But when Alan Moore raises objections about anyone else using Watchmen in ways he doesn't want, he gets told to shut up and grow up?

srankmissingnin
George Lucas gets flak for being terrible and retroactively changing things on a whim which in turn negatively impact the original story. Him continuing Star Wars isn't the problem, the problem is that he frequently makes unnecessary changes to the original trilogy and the prequels were terrible. If his stories were good no one would care. Everyone was pumped for Phantom Menace... and then we saw it.

Galan007
I think a lot of it has to do with Watchmen being an exploration of the medium and a commentary on superheroes and politics of an era that is really no longer relevant. Watchmen was the a product of the time it was created in, but the comic book industry and superheros have moved on since then... largely because books like Watchman (and TDKR, Maus and Born Again... really anything from '86) elevated the medium and opened the door for change. Watchmen is a seminal book, and maybe on of the most important comics ever created, but removed from the context of it's creation I can see why it might not read like anything special. Pretty much. Imo, if you remove Watchmen from the context of the period it was created in, it really doesn't hold up well at all.

Frankly, I don't care about Moore's views of society during that time... And I could care even less about reading his comic book portrays of said views. Personally, I see the original Watchmen series as little more than Moore's half-assed way of trying to 'stick it to the man.' A lot of people probably care. I just.... Don't. Never will. That's why I'm excited to see a fresh take on the same characters.

*dodges random objects being thrown*

srankmissingnin
That's my view as well, and one of the reasons I feel the movie under performed.

Watchmen is a seminal comic book, but it is not a story that transcends medium or the era it was created in. I can appreciate Watchmen did for the medium in the context of the period it was created and the issue it address, but the fact is Watchmen isn't timeless tale; from a political and even a pure comic history stand point it's intrinsically tied to a time that is long gone... and that I am too young to remember.

Galan007
Funnily enough, I enjoyed the movie more than the comics (mainly because of Dr. M.)

srankmissingnin
The movie also doesn't have a retarded giant squid alien monster. Sorry Watchmen purests, but the changes the movie made, were made for the better.

Galan007
laughing out loud So true.

Existere
I think a lot of it has to do with Watchmen being an exploration of the medium and a commentary on superheroes and politics of an era that is really no longer relevant. Watchmen was the a product of the time it was created in, but the comic book industry and superheros have moved on since then... largely because books like Watchman (and TDKR, Maus and Born Again... really anything from '86) elevated the medium and opened the door for change. Watchmen is a seminal book, and maybe on of the most important comics ever created, but removed from the context of it's creation I can see why it might not read like anything special.
I guess I don't entirely agree, but I won't argue that decades later, Watchmen is removed from the political and industry context that inspired it. I still love the story telling for what it is, but to each his own.

Bentley
Yeah, the storytelling, specially the visuals by Gibbons are an excellent example of how to comunicate in the media. I understand that by itself it won't make you love the book, because the context and the themes are still what they are, but there are elements from the narrative that still hold themselves quite well.

roughrider
George Lucas gets flak for being terrible and retroactively changing things on a whim which in turn negatively impact the original story. Him continuing Star Wars isn't the problem, the problem is that he frequently makes unnecessary changes to the original trilogy and the prequels were terrible. If his stories were good no one would care. Everyone was pumped for Phantom Menace... and then we saw it.

...Again: George Lucas owns Star Wars. He has the right to do with it what he wants, no matter what some fans may claim. The three prequels combined for $2.5 billion worldwide, but a small minority of fans & media have created the perception no one liked them, because they've been screaming like infants since the Special Editions in 1997.

Watchmen is as seminal a comic as The Dark Knight Returns was in that same year of 1986. While I was glad a movie did get made, I sympathize with Alan Moore's feeling of just leave enough alone, already.

Existere
Yeah, the storytelling, specially the visuals by Gibbons are an excellent example of how to comunicate in the media. I understand that by itself it won't make you love the book, because the context and the themes are still what they are, but there are elements from the narrative that still hold themselves quite well. Yeah, and the themes aren't so lost in the comic world. As political commentary and as a significant mark in the low/high art battle, sure, Watchmen may no longer hold the impact that it once did. As a deconstruction of super heroes and the ideals that bind them, I still feel pretty connected to what Moore's breaking down. I guess I'm also just a fan of Moore's particular style with which he layers his plots and the vehicles that he uses to discuss them. I still find it pretty cool, and I'm not old enough to place it within a particular political or industry context.

Meh, to each his own.

-Pr-
...Again: George Lucas owns Star Wars. He has the right to do with it what he wants, no matter what some fans may claim. The three prequels combined for $2.5 billion worldwide, but a small minority of fans & media have created the perception no one liked them, because they've been screaming like infants since the Special Editions in 1997.

Watchmen is as seminal a comic as The Dark Knight Returns was in that same year of 1986. While I was glad a movie did get made, I sympathize with Alan Moore's feeling of just leave enough alone, already.

Srank's point stands, though. Lucas didn't just continue Star Wars, he changed, in some places, the very core of the OT, which nobody is really attempting to do with Watchmen.

Lucas gets hounded because he makes negative changes, not because he makes changes.

And I saw Phantom Menace twice in cinemas (though I didn't pay for both trips). I can admit that, even as a life-long Star Wars fan, Phantom Menace is (bar the saber fight), a steaming pile for the most part.

Money is not a reflection of quality.

Bentley
He also has kept the original versions from release in new formats, which is a shame because most of his edits bring nothing to the table and are ugly.

-Pr-
He also has kept the original versions from release in new formats, which is a shame because most of his edits bring nothing to the table and are ugly.

Exactly. The precise reason I didn't buy the Blurays were because he refused to put in the original cuts.

Most people don't realise it, but it's no coincidence that ESB, the best in the series, wasn't directed by Lucas.

roughrider
Srank's point stands, though. Lucas didn't just continue Star Wars, he changed, in some places, the very core of the OT, which nobody is really attempting to do with Watchmen.

Lucas gets hounded because he makes negative changes, not because he makes changes.

Strangely enough, all three prequels are certified fresh by critics on Rotten Tomatoes. So there must be some quality.

To some people, any change in Star Wars equals negative change. That's how closed their minds are.
I could complain about a few changes he did, but overall I liked what he brought to the film with all the extra CG effects. He's helped create a new generation of fans as a result. And the story is fully intact; I don't subscribe to the notion he's changed the core of the story at all. If he's done anything by adding the prequels, it's that he's made it Anakin/Darth Vader's story overall, and not Luke's in particular.

But we're not going to settle this argument here. It's become as polarized as the Israeli-Palestinian debate.

And does George Lucas lose sleep over these things? He has fun with his fans obsessions!

Bentley
What? Israel-Palestina is polarized? In Israel maybe.

Deadline
Watchmen was the a product of the time it was created in, but the comic book industry and superheros have moved on since then...

I'm not sure if all you said was accurate. The world hasn't changed that much. Only seen the movie by the way, but I have an understanding of the themes and the world which the comic was set in.

-Pr-
You'd have to read the comic tbh, the movie doesn't really do a wonderful job at conveying what Moore did in the comic.

Kazenji
Alan Moore Comments Further On Before Watchmen And Entertainment In General

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/Thorverine/news/?a=54720

Galan007
When is this series supposed to be released?

Galan007
Anyone know?

Juntai
Not sure, but I'm actually interested in a few of the titles.

Prep-Man
Some recent new art:
http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/prepman005/BW.jpg

http://i937.photobucket.com/albums/ad214/prepman005/MM.jpg

Galan007
Hopefully all of the interior art isn't New Frontier-ish.

As for when this comes out: "Summer 2012" is all I could find. sad

The Pict

This.

There is literally no reason for this to be made.

thumb up

Can't believe they are doing this, nobody wants this comic. A Watchmen Prequel?! Come on!

Obviously somone suggested it in the DC boardroom and someone saw dollar signs.

Batman-Prime
It's about business and money, nothing else matters. So let's see if they are successful, either enough people will buy the books and they will continue or it won't make profit and they will stop. The majority should decide.
Sure one doesn't have to like what the "majority" likes but if they swallow the stuff someone like Georg Lucas spits at them, it's ok and I couldn't care less. I don't have to like, read or watch it after all ^^.

Newjak
Originally posted by Batman-Prime
It's about business and money, nothing else matters. So let's see if they are successful, either enough people will buy the books and they will continue or it won't make profit and they will stop. The majority should decide.
Sure one doesn't have to like what the "majority" likes but if they swallow the stuff someone like Georg Lucas spits at them, it's ok and I couldn't care less. I don't have to like, read or watch it after all ^^. This is pretty much what I think.

As for Alan Moore he does have a right to be angry, but the problem he just assumes no one can and will be able to top and or add to or fairly represent anything he does to the point he refuses to even give them a chance. So he doesn't actually know if the things were better It makes him sound arrogant and self-serving with a huge ego to boost.

Galan007
I believe "Before Watchmen" has the potential to outshine its predecessor. THAT, in my opinion, is why Moore is so opposed to it.

F*cking hack. ermmnone

Kazenji
Shipping dates

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=56211

Bouboumaster
Shipping dates

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=56211

The art is incredible. Sure as hell I'll buy this.

Prep-Man
I think I'll wait for the trade.

JakeTheBank
Alan Moore, you so crazy:

Prep-Man
THAT ART!! eek!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/gavon/top-secret-look-at-before-watchmen

Now that is how you do an event.

Bouboumaster
THAT ART!! eek!

Now that is how you do an event.

Holy shit.

I want that.

Blight
Alan Moore, you so crazy:

I think this quote just insured I don't buy another piece of Moore's work again. The guy has the gall to tell people how to be fans?

Galan007
THAT ART!! eek!

Now that is how you do an event. I'm most psyched for Curse of the Crimson Corsair. From the spoilers I've read, it sounds really good.

roughrider
Interesting that Moore claims DC aren't interested in comics anymore. Well, what are they going to be interested in if not that? Will it all become animation and live action properties? Marvel is already way down that road with a head start.

Blight
Interesting that Moore claims DC aren't interested in comics anymore. Well, what are they going to be interested in if not that? Will it all become animation and live action properties? Marvel is already way down that road with a head start. technically dc is owned by warner bros. So could be stick out tongue

roughrider
Maybe they really don't care about trying to patch things up with Moore anymore; let him rage all he wants over in blighty.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.