Who the the strongest character that............

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dum Dum Dugan
Who is the strongest character with the lowest durability?

Who the most durable character with the lowest level of strength?

Think this is interesting topic that no one has made a thread about to my knowledge

Digi
There was some indie comics guy, he was a gruff, middle-aged Irish dude (or something similar). Scoob introduced me to him. Anyway, he was basically a walking piece of durability PIS. Nothing ever scratched him, and they ramped it up to things that would phase heralds. Like, skydiving without a parachute with nukes strapped to him.

Anyway, no strength to speak of whatsoever. So he gets my vote for "durable, not strong."

Strength without durability? Dunno. Realistically, it's harder to have that and seem believable. A class 10 punch with human durability would liquify your arm.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by Digi
There was some indie comics guy, he was a gruff, middle-aged Irish dude (or something similar). Scoob introduced me to him. Anyway, he was basically a walking piece of durability PIS. Nothing ever scratched him, and they ramped it up to things that would phase heralds. Like, skydiving without a parachute with nukes strapped to him.
dam he sounds kinda interesting. Good choice.

I was thinking maybe Adam Destiny. He was pretty much immune to any form of harm, but seem to have human level of strength.

Strength without durability? Dunno. Realistically, it's harder to have that and seem believable. A class 10 punch with human durability would liquify your arm.
True, maybe spiderman. He pretty strong but not that durable.

Galan007
There was some indie comics guy, he was a gruff, middle-aged Irish dude (or something similar). Scoob introduced me to him. Anyway, he was basically a walking piece of durability PIS. Nothing ever scratched him, and they ramped it up to things that would phase heralds. Like, skydiving without a parachute with nukes strapped to him. Lol, really? You remember the character's name?

Digi
Honestly, He-man maybe for the opposite one. His durability's fine, but it's the clear weak link when compared with his strength.

Originally posted by Dum Dum Dugan
True, maybe spiderman. He pretty strong but not that durable.

Disagree. His durability is roughly equal to his strength. He's taken hits from an angry Hulk and Morlun and been ok. His durability isn't anything special, mind you, but it's also not comparatively low compared to his strength.

Originally posted by Galan007
Lol, really? You remember the character's name?

PM Scoobless. I don't, and couldn't find him in a search.

Dum Dum Dugan

Disagree. His durability is roughly equal to his strength. He's taken hits from an angry Hulk and Morlun and been ok. His durability isn't anything special, mind you, but it's also not comparatively low compared to his strength.

normally implied that there glancing blows. Also for every high showing he has like the Hulk one (which is not that many especially direct hits) there are low showings. I think it is comparatively low compared to his strength. The lowest? No. he still pretty dam durable. However his strength is not relative to his durability when you compare him to characters like Captain America for instance. Spiderman is with out a doubt stronger then capt it not even debatable. However one could argue Capt being just as durable as Spiderman or at least within the same ball park. That in it self shows that his strength is not proportionatly to his durability.

Dum Dum Dugan
Honestly, He-man maybe for the opposite one. His durability's fine, but it's the clear weak link when compared with his strength.

/B]

yea this is better then spiderman by far. To be honest I through spiderman out there because I couldent think of anyone else.

Digi
yea this is better then spiderman by far. To be honest I through spiderman out there because I couldent think of anyone else.

Seemed like it. Those haymakers from Morlun weren't glancing.

Or the time he went through time fighting every battle in his entire history, one after another with no break.

And anyone with 40+ years of continuity is going to have both good and bad showings, but Pete's fine in the durability department.

Dum Dum Dugan
Seemed like it. Those haymakers from Morlun weren't glancing.

At the time this was written Morlun was a 25 tonner who absorbed life force. This was later changed to him being legitment class 100. But context of when the fight took place is important.

Or the time he went through time fighting every battle in his entire history, one after another with no break.

what? Not sure what your referring to at all.

And anyone with 40+ years of continuity is going to have both good and bad showings, but Pete's fine in the durability department.
yes and you seem to focus on his highest showings. His normal durability levels are not tanking 100 class punches.

I never said peter was not fine in durability. I said compared to his strength his durability is not as high.

it very easy arguement to make. Spiderman is clearly>>>>capt in strength

However the same case is not nearly as easy to make for Spiderman being more durable. This is because his strength is beyond his durability. If Spiderman lacked in any area is be his durability when compared to his other stats.

roughrider
Seems like the best example of high durability & low strength would be Wolverine. His strength is just enhanced, on a par with Captain America, and now his durability has gotten him surviving atomic level explosions (see during Civil War) with enough time to heal.

Superhuman strength with low durability, first one that come to mind is Wonder Woman. Just because they still let sharp, pointed objects pierce her skin, even if she can shrug off a blow from Superman. It's because of the bracelets thing she does, that they still want her to be in jeopardy that way.

Dum Dum Dugan
Originally posted by roughrider
Seems like the best example of high durability & low strength would be Wolverine. His strength is just enhanced, on a par with Captain America, and now his durability has gotten him surviving atomic level explosions (see during Civil War) with enough time to heal.

Superhuman strength with low durability, first one that come to mind is Wonder Woman. Just because they still let sharp, pointed objects pierce her skin, even if she can shrug off a blow from Superman. It's because of the bracelets thing she does, that they still want her to be in jeopardy that way.
My bad man, i should have been clearer. I was referring to pure durability. With out factoring thigns like damage soak and healing factor.

roughrider
Then Spider Man for superhuman strength but much lower levels of durability.

Puck and Unus The Untouchable for low strength, high durability.

Digi
what? Not sure what your referring to at all.

ASM #500. One of the overlooked aspects of that issue is that he had to fight his way through his own history to get back to the present. I re-read the fight, and it's unclear if it's his entire history, or just scattered battles as he jumps from time to time. But, based on what was shown on-panel, he had to fight at least 30 or so battles back-to-back against all of his classic villains. An insane stamina/durability/will feat.

yes and you seem to focus on his highest showings. His normal durability levels are not tanking 100 class punches.

Not so. My point is that his durability roughly matches his strength. Tanking Class 100 punches consistently would put his durability higher than his strength, which it is not.

I never said peter was not fine in durability. I said compared to his strength his durability is not as high.

And I disagreed. Both are roughly equal imo, and nothing to write home about unless he's angry. It's his speed and agility that separate him.

However the same case is not nearly as easy to make for Spiderman being more durable. This is because his strength is beyond his durability. If Spiderman lacked in any area is be his durability when compared to his other stats.

Pete's top durability fats do top Cap's. But I think I see the problem. Cap is very durable for a high street. So you're comparing Pete to someone whose durability is easily arguable as >>>> his strength, comparatively speaking. Cap makes a lot of low metas seem less durable...doesn't mean they have low durability though, just that Cap has great durability for his level.

SamZED
normally implied that there glancing blows. Also for every high showing he has like the Hulk one (which is not that many especially direct hits) there are low showings. I think it is comparatively low compared to his strength. The lowest? No. he still pretty dam durable. However his strength is not relative to his durability when you compare him to characters like Captain America for instance. Spiderman is with out a doubt stronger then capt it not even debatable. However one could argue Capt being just as durable as Spiderman or at least within the same ball park. That in it self shows that his strength is not proportionatly to his durability. Spider-man has a lot of good durability feats. The number of times he's taken direct class 100 atacks is pretty high as well. I was always under the impression Cap can take so much damage mostly because of his will power, but his durability is not on Spider-man's level. Even going by basic things like lifting things. Spider-man wouldnt be able to lift a train or a tank unless he had durability to go with it, Cap's bones would just snap in that situation and not only because he lacks the strength. But overall I agree Pete's durability doesnt measure to his strength. Or more like, with him it depends on his state of mind. When needed he was shown taking crazy amount of damage.

ASM #500. One of the overlooked aspects of that issue is that he had to fight his way through his own history to get back to the present. I re-read the fight, and it's unclear if it's his entire history, or just scattered battles as he jumps from time to time. But, based on what was shown on-panel, he had to fight at least 30 or so battles back-to-back against all of his classic villains. An insane stamina/durability/will feat. I remember that issue. Yeah, that was an insane feat. Dont think he went though EVERY battle, that'd be insane. But it was clearly implied he went through dozens.

Badabing
True, maybe spiderman. He pretty strong but not that durable. You're thinking of Spidey's costume. It's the opposite of Hulk's pants. Spidey's costume gets shredded if it's raining.

-Pr-

TBH, that notion about Diana is pretty out-dated. She hasn't been that way in years.

It would be like saying Aquaman still sucks outside of water.

Digi
Originally posted by Badabing
You're thinking of Spidey's costume. It's the opposite of Hulk's pants. Spidey's costume gets shredded if it's raining.

Lol. Truth.

Originally posted by -Pr-

well....

-Pr-
Lol. Truth.

well....

Mid 90s, Spider-boy.

Digi
lmao. Is that to make me angry, or legit? I can't decide.

-Pr-
lmao. Is that to make me angry, or legit? I can't decide.

I... Haven't decided yet.

but yeah, the whole "weakened out of water" thing was pretty much done away with in the 90s.

Galan007
PM Scoobless. I don't, and couldn't find him in a search. His name is Brit. Just skimmed through his appearances. The dude is awesome. He utterly no-sells ANYTHING thrown his way. thumb up

roughrider
Originally posted by -Pr-

Sucks out of water, or sucks period. Hmmm, which is it...? shifty

Digi
His name is Brit. Just skimmed through his appearances. The dude is awesome. He utterly no-sells ANYTHING thrown his way. thumb up

Excellent, thanks.

Anyway, Brit wins the "durable but not strong" category unless someone has a better entry, which would almost be impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brit_%28comics%29

Galan007
Based on what I've seen (I've already read all but a few of his appearances), no one is more durable than Brit--and I'm even taking into account durability powerhouses like classic Juggernaut, Citizen Steel, etc. Brit simply can't be harmed, ever... And the rest of his stats are just peak human. That said, no greater durability/strength ratio exists in comics. I feel totally confident saying that.

Great character. Thanks for turning me on to him. thumb up

Existere
Well, Butterball might beat out Brit, if only because he possesses the same powerset but is probably physically weaker and otherwise incapable of gaining muscle mass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterball_(Emery_Schaub)

As for high strength, low durability... maybe Sunspot?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunspot_(comics)

At least, back in the day.

Also, it strikes me that Magneto has showings where he amps his strength super high, and I don't know that he can do the same for his durability...

Galan007
Originally posted by Existere
Well, Butterball might beat out Brit, if only because he possesses the same powerset but is probably physically weaker and otherwise incapable of gaining muscle mass
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterball_(Emery_Schaub)

As for high strength, low durability... maybe Sunspot?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunspot_(comics)

At least, back in the day.

Also, it strikes me that Magneto has showings where he amps his strength super high, and I don't know that he can do the same for his durability... Not trying to get into a feat war, but what are BB's best feats? (I'm unfamiliar with the character)

Because when I see Brit do things like this:
http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t/11062294_b1.jpg http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t/11062296_b2.jpg http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t/11062298_b3.jpg

...It just blows me away.

Existere
Not trying to get into a feat war, but what are BB's best feats? (I'm unfamiliar with the character)

Because when I see Brit do things like this:
http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t/11062294_b1.jpg http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t/11062296_b2.jpg http://s4d2.turboimagehost.com/t/11062298_b3.jpg

...It just blows me away. Couldn't tell you, haven't closely followed the character- for all I know, he has an upper limit that Brit surpasses. I guess I'm just running under the assumption that their powers are everything that they are billed as (absolute invulnerability)... which is a bit of a fallacy. But whatever.

Galan007
Yeah, I suppose if they both possess absolute imperviousness to all harm, BB would have the more skewed durability/strength ratio.

...At least Brit can attain normal human/post-pubescent strength-levels. biscuits

Digi
Based on what I've seen (I've already read all but a few of his appearances), no one is more durable than Brit--and I'm even taking into account durability powerhouses like classic Juggernaut, Citizen Steel, etc. Brit simply can't be harmed, ever... And the rest of his stats are just peak human. That said, no greater durability/strength ratio exists in comics. I feel totally confident saying that.

Great character. Thanks for turning me on to him. thumb up

Not a problem. Thanks for completing the puzzle and figuring out who he was. I remember the 1-2 issues I read of him were a riot. I should go back and find more.

And yeah, at best someone would tie him in the strength/durability ratio. I doubt it's better to be "better" than him in any defensible sense.

-Pr-
Sucks out of water, or sucks period. Hmmm, which is it...? shifty

There'd have to be something about him that sucked in the first place.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.