Movies influencing continuity

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JakeTheBank
Obviously, this is something that's been going on for years, especially when it comes to the Marvel Universe. One just has to look at the new comic book, "Avengers Assemble" to see how the latest Avengers incarnation is inspired from the movie's roster.

But does it go a bit too far?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/GraphicCity/news/?a=58511

Agent Coulson, a fairly popular character from the Marvel Cinematic Universe, will make his 616 debut in the pages of Battle Scars, a limited series set right after the events of Fear Itself which introduces us to the new character Marcus Johnson, who is in turn, revealed to be the long lost bi-racial son of Nick Fury.

In the preview for the final issue of Battle Scars, Marcus apparently suffers an eye injury and shaves his head, ironically resembling the Ultimate/Cinematic version of Nick Fury, all while wearing Steve Rogers' Super Soldier uniform.

Honestly, this seems waaaaay too forced to me and feels like a cheap way to try and draw in movie fans by accommodating them through tweaking the 616 universe to resemble what they see in the movies. What do you think?

Blight
I agree. Why can't we let the movies be the movies and the comics be the comics?

I was so irritated with the inclusion of Bullseye having the Cattlebrand Mark on his face and Spiderman with Organic shooters for a time. Screw off with that nonsense!

Galan007
The movies were originally modeled after the comics (mainly those of the Ultimate universe.) Now the comics are being modeled after the movies that are modeled after the comics.

Funny bit of irony...

Newjak
I honestly don't mind this as much as other probably will. There are things I like from the movies that I wish the comic book characters were like. I'm actually pretty excited to get Agent Coulson in comics. Obviously not everything works out all nice and easy like Organic Webshooters, but I would say bad things get introduced in comics all the time even if it isn't from movies.

Blight
Originally posted by Newjak
I honestly don't mind this as much as other probably will. There are things I like from the movies that I wish the comic book characters were like. I'm actually pretty excited to get Agent Coulson in comics. Obviously not everything works out all nice and easy like Organic Webshooters, but I would say bad things get introduced in comics all the time even if it isn't from movies.
Fair point.

I'm actually alright with Agent Coulsen. I like him in the movies Even though it will be short lived.

The Nick Fury thing? Not feeling it.

Newjak
Yeah I don't know about the Nick Fury son thing either but often times to me what ends up determining whether is something is bad or not is the quality of story it gives us.

So we'll see.

Blight
Good Point. I don't read Marvel anymore anyway stick out tongue

Kazenji
Besides movies even TV has influenced continuity with comics especially with Superman.

-Pr-
Just not too much, thankfully.

Darth Jello
Originally posted by Blight
I agree. Why can't we let the movies be the movies and the comics be the comics?

I was so irritated with the inclusion of Bullseye having the Cattlebrand Mark on his face and Spiderman with Organic shooters for a time. Screw off with that nonsense!

I actually liked the way they did Bullseye and it isn't a brand in the comics. He ditched the costume after he realized wearing a big uniform with a target on his head was stupid in an atmosphere of heightened security. He then got the brand tattooed on his forehead but Daredevil ended up actually carving it into his scalp with a rock.
I used to think characterization of certain characters becoming more modeled after the movies (i.e. Wolverine) was a turnoff but after seeing the big picture, it kind of looks like that's where the writers were going anyway with most characters so I don't necessarily see any influence of tv or movies to be a bad thing. I mean does anyone really hate Harley Quinn or Mr. Freeze's origin or X-23 or Firestar?

Blight
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I actually liked the way they did Bullseye and it isn't a brand in the comics. He ditched the costume after he realized wearing a big uniform with a target on his head was stupid in an atmosphere of heightened security. He then got the brand tattooed on his forehead but Daredevil ended up actually carving it into his scalp with a rock.
I used to think characterization of certain characters becoming more modeled after the movies (i.e. Wolverine) was a turnoff but after seeing the big picture, it kind of looks like that's where the writers were going anyway with most characters so I don't necessarily see any influence of tv or movies to be a bad thing. I mean does anyone really hate Harley Quinn or Mr. Freeze's origin or X-23 or Firestar? I hate x23....

So Tattooing is better than a costume? A Costume that you can get out of when the heat's on you?

Kazenji
Originally posted by Darth Jello
I used to think characterization of certain characters becoming more modeled after the movies (i.e. Wolverine) was a turnoff but after seeing the big picture, it kind of looks like that's where the writers were going anyway with most characters so I don't necessarily see any influence of tv or movies to be a bad thing. I mean does anyone really hate Harley Quinn or Mr. Freeze's origin or X-23 or Firestar?

Reminds me of Bullseye MAX for Punisher.

JakeTheBank
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=58677

Darth Jello
Bullseye's always been into branding which is why he drew the martini target on his head and then got the tattoo. I guess having and adamantium skeleton and still managing to assassinate a mutant with a metal needle in Magneto's Genosha gives you the confidence to do that kind of shit...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.