Jupiter Ascending (Wachowskis)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Patient_Leech
No idea what this is about, but I saw a blurb online about Mila Kunis signing on for it. IMDB. Anybody have any info on what it's about?? Sounds like nothing is known about it yet..

(I made a thread for the other up-and-coming Wachowskis film in the Sci-Fi Forum: Cloud Atlas)

Patient_Leech
Saw an article that this now has an official release date. And according to IMDB it is:

25 July 2014 (USA)

And the premise sounds interesting, sort of a new take on the Snow White tale...

Placidity
I just want to say Mila Kunis is a whore.

quanchi112
I like these kinds of fantasy movies. More the merrier.

Patient_Leech
Why is Mila Kunis a whore?

Originally posted by quanchi112
I like these kinds of fantasy movies. More the merrier.

Amen. Same here, bro. That's why the Wachowskis hold a special place in my heart.

Tzeentch._
Placidity's bitter. He asked her to go with him to prom via youtube, and she told him to **** off.

marwash22
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Placidity's bitter. He asked her to go with him to prom via youtube, and she told him to **** off. wrong.

Plac has a thing for Ashton Kutcher and he's mad at Mila 'cause she's boning him.

Tzeentch._
I'm pretty sure its actually both.

Placidity
You filthy whore lovers.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Placidity's bitter. He asked her to go with him to prom via youtube, and she told him to **** off.

Who?
Lana Wachowskis or Mila? embarrasment

Patient_Leech
This is supposed to start filming soon. Rumored to be a Trilogy, and sounds like it's going to be a complicated shoot...

Kazenji
THVFkk-sEus

ares834
Looks like it has some awesome visuals. I'll definitely check it out.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by ares834
Looks like it has some awesome visuals. I'll definitely check it out.

thumb up

It looks really good. I liked Cloud Atlas a lot, too.

Patient_Leech
This looks like it could be pretty damn cool actually.

marwash22
Tatum's design looks dumb, but the movie overall seems interesting.

Darth Martin
Man, I don't know. Cloud Atlas was probably the weirdest movie I've seen in a minute.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Cloud Atlas was probably the weirdest movie I've seen in a minute.

That's some of the goofiest urban grammar I've heard all year.. lol

But seriously, you're right. Cloud Atlas was weird. I think it was meant to be, though. I actually enjoyed it even though I found it quite puzzling. This looks like it'll be less weird. It looks about like what I was hoping for: a cool sci-fi space adventure. It looks at least on par with Man of Steel or Thor as far as visuals and scope go.

And a big plus: Mila Kunis. thumb up

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l37/theBULLDOGfan/Alan%20Photos%202/MilaKunis300px.jpg

Stealth Moose
Honestly, Cloud Atlas had some really deep points and a lot of context not easily seen on the first viewing. It's probably less linear and more cerebral than your normal sci-fi film though, and that's why it is both the most expensive indie movie ever made and one of the largest flops considering said budget.

However, I insist that it's one of the most mentally mind blowing and stimulating movies I've ever seen.

Esau Cairn
I think the movie should be re-titled Jupiter Falling.

Looking at the clip, how many times does Mila (Jupiter) seem to fall off something?

Also the $64 million dollar question, does Sean Bean stall alive til the end?

Stealth Moose
Sean Bean didn't die in Silent Hill 2. He's defying his own trope.

Kazenji
He also lived in National Treasure & Flight Plan.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Honestly, Cloud Atlas had some really deep points and a lot of context not easily seen on the first viewing. It's probably less linear and more cerebral than your normal sci-fi film though...
Yeah, I've been meaning to watch it a 2nd time, with subtitles.

siriuswriter
I cannot wait for this movie. It's just the kind of thing I love to watch!

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Kazenji
He also lived in National Treasure & Flight Plan.

I totally forgot. Nice catch.

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Yeah, I've been meaning to watch it a 2nd time, with subtitles.

Let me know if it's an eye-opener.

Darth Martin
Honestly, Cloud Atlas had some really deep points and a lot of context not easily seen on the first viewing. It's probably less linear and more cerebral than your normal sci-fi film though, and that's why it is both the most expensive indie movie ever made and one of the largest flops considering said budget.

However, I insist that it's one of the most mentally mind blowing and stimulating movies I've ever seen. It's definitely one that's understandably difficult to take in all in one viewing.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
I think the movie should be re-titled Jupiter Falling.

Looking at the clip, how many times does Mila (Jupiter) seem to fall off something?

An irony that I'm sure has not escaped the Wachowskis. They're quite sharp. If you've ever studied the Matrix films you'll know just how sharp: i.e. nothing is an accident.

jaden101
This is going to be equally as big a failure as John Carter.

Kazenji
Doesn't mean it was shit movie because of a box office performance.

Esau Cairn
An irony that I'm sure has not escaped the Wachowskis.

I can see the Wachowskis saying, "Do you know what this scene needs? ANOTHER SLO-MO FALL!" & high-fiving each other.

Stealth Moose

thumb up

Some of the best movies I've seen were way off of the grid. And I don't mind hipster-style "It's so indie it's good"; I mean good budget movies who just didn't get any exposure.

Patient_Leech
I can see the Wachowskis saying, "Do you know what this scene needs? ANOTHER SLO-MO FALL!" & high-fiving each other.
lol, exactly. I bet it became an inside joke between them.

thumb up

Some of the best movies I've seen were way off of the grid. And I don't mind hipster-style "It's so indie it's good"; I mean good budget movies who just didn't get any exposure.
Solomon Kane comes to mind. And don't forget that The Shawshank Redemption was a box office failure.

Esau Cairn

Solomon Kane comes to mind. And don't forget that The Shawshank Redemption was a box office failure.

Agree with Solomon Kane...it went straight to the shelves here in Australia.
Grew up reading Conan & Kane novels...was good to see a decent rendition of it.

Kazenji
Only thing i've read of Solomon Kane is one of the comic adaptations of the stories from Dark Horse.

Esau Cairn
Robert E. Howard was the creator/writer.

Kazenji
Hence why i said "comic adaptation of the stories"

Esau Cairn
"Hence"?

I luv it when you use fancy words.

Patient_Leech
"Hence"?

I luv it when you use fancy words.

laughing

Kazenji
And there's your boyfriend.

NemeBro
Lana Wachowski looks like a reasonably attractive chick these days.

Would smash.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by NemeBro
Lana Wachowski looks like a reasonably attractive chick these days.

Would smash.
It wouldn't bother you that "she" was actually born a dude??

NemeBro
Don't be so transphobic.

Patient_Leech
Oh, Mr. Hat..

jaden101

John Carter ticked both boxes of bombing at the box office and being a shit film.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by jaden101
John Carter ticked both boxes of bombing at the box office and being a shit film.

Carter bombed because of poor marketing.

Have you actually seen the film?

It was a good action/adventure movie.

Patient_Leech
Jesus H Christ do not turn this into another John Carter thread. Resurrect the actual thread if you must. Holy shit. You ALL apparently love the movie because you bring it up so much.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by siriuswriter
I cannot wait for this movie. It's just the kind of thing I love to watch!
Yeah, same here. I'm pretty excited about it. I do worry, though, that it won't be a financial success unless it's marketed extremely well. None of the actors/actresses are really massive stars (I bet they were all reasonably affordable). That's not to say that they won't be quality, because they certainly will be. I like Sean Bean a lot, but he doesn't exactly spell massive box office receipts.. lol. And I doubt they would greenlight a project like this without sequels in mind, so I'm already fearing the worst for future installments. Knowing the way the Wachowskis function it'll probably be frustrating if we don't get to see their full vision. The Matrix Trilogy is a massively under-appreciated mind bending masterpiece that largely went over everyone's head. We were quite blessed to see it completed.

But we'll at least have this one, so oh well. And who knows maybe it'll do surprisingly well. *shrug*

(And I don't even know that sequels are planned, but it's rumored to be a Trilogy.)

Tzeentch
John Carter sucked. It was the definition of a generic action/adventure movie.

Let's talk about how much John Carter sucked, not Jupiter Ascending (which is also going to bomb).

Stealth Moose
Quiet, heathen. Get thee hence.

Back to the subject, the cast isn't obscure nor subpar. Marketing however is key. Well known actors with great achievements under their belt do films that end up in Red Box or Netflix queues all the time, relatively unnoticed. This film needs to have a deal with Burger King or Subway to spread the word. Or you know, multi million dollar ads.

Patient_Leech
... the cast isn't obscure nor subpar.

Agreed. I didn't mean to imply that. What I mean is, someone like Tom Hanks (who was in Cloud Atlas) would have been a big house-hold name to help sell the film. I think that's a big reason why World War Z did well. It may have looked like just another zombie movie, but hey, Brad Pitt is in it, so they must be stepping it up a notch. (Not only that, it was his production company, so he had a lot riding on it).

If they take the "From The Creators of The Matrix Trilogy" marketing route again, I think it will just keep backfiring on them because the Matrix Trilogy was so largely misunderstood and under-appreciated.

But yeah, like you said, that or fu#king McDonalds or Burger King... lol. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Tzeentch
Frankly, if anything they should just leave the Wachowski name off the marketing altogether. They're reaching Shyamalan-level credibility, imo. The last commercially/critically accalimed movie they did was V for Vendetta.

Kazenji
If your talking about directing then they didn't even do that movie, It was James McTeigue.

dadudemon
Jesus H Christ do not turn this into another John Carter thread. Resurrect the actual thread if you must. Holy shit. You ALL apparently love the movie because you bring it up so much.

HA! laughing laughing laughing laughing

jaden101
Carter bombed because of poor marketing.

Have you actually seen the film?

It was a good action/adventure movie.

Obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have said it.

It wasn't good. That's why it bombed. All the marketing in the world wasn't making up for awful acting.

jaden101

The comparison is applicable here cos the film clearly has a similar context.

dadudemon
All the marketing in the world wasn't making up for awful acting.

Star Wars: A New Hope would like to have a word with you.

jaden101
Originally posted by dadudemon
Star Wars: A New Hope would like to have a word with you.

It gets a pass given that it had one of the greatest actors in the history of film in it.

Not to mention no one in it was anywhere near as bad as Taylor ***** or whatever it's name is.

Stealth Moose
It gets a pass given that it had one of the greatest actors in the history of film in it.

http://static3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120513011459/tardis/images/5/53/Peter_Cushing.jpg

RIP Tarkin.

jaden101
I was obviously meaning James Earl Jones. BEST OF THE BEST!!!

Stealth Moose
As to that, I say:

http://www.noooooo.info/darthvadernooo.jpg

Remember, Tarkin > Vader in ANH. Tarkin told Vader what to do and he did it.

Kazenji

It wasn't good. That's why it bombed. All the marketing in the world wasn't making up for awful acting.

Each to their own i suppose

i'm with Esau & Leech, It being a good movie.

jaden101
As to that, I say:

http://www.noooooo.info/darthvadernooo.jpg

Remember, Tarkin > Vader in ANH. Tarkin told Vader what to do and he did it.
until Vader said his famous line 'NO ONE PUTS BABY IN THE CORNER'.

Stealth Moose
Yet another Lucas update? Next thing you'll know, Padme was sleeping with Obi-Wan and totally had that choke coming.

Tzeentch
That was definitely Anakin's robe he was wearing on Mustafar. That's why Anakin was so pissed.

Obi-Wan's a baller.

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by Tzeentch
That was definitely Anakin's robe he was wearing on Mustafar. That's why Anakin was so pissed.

Obi-Wan's a baller.

Obi is trolling Anakin and is directly responsible for his fall. New revision storyline.

dadudemon
Obi is trolling Anakin and is directly responsible for his fall. New revision storyline.

Obi would have had a difficult time trying to get with Padme with Anakin's dick constantly in his mouth.

"Spread your Chosen One baby-batter all over my face! gurgle gurgle...it's in my beard! WEEEE!"

jaden101
You've taken that too far.

Tzeentch
Way to make it ghey DDM.

I approve.

Patient_Leech
Not to mention no one in it was anywhere near as bad as Taylor ***** or whatever it's name is.
I can't stand that guy. He is a lousy actor.

Firefly218
Trailer for this movie didn't really interest me

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Firefly218
Trailer for this movie didn't really interest me

Yeah. It didn't do a lot for me either, aside from looking pretty fantastic. But it is just a teaser. I'm gonna try to resist watching the full trailer.

Esau Cairn
John Carter sucked. It was the definition of a generic action/adventure movie.

Y'know 5 minutes of research would've stopped you from making such idiotic observations.

You didn't like the movie...that's fine but get your facts straight when you want to share an opinion.

Patient_Leech
lol... Holy jesus... Here's the thread you all are looking for: Disney's John Farter

Esau Cairn
Hey you have a passion with Riddick....my fondest childhood memories were reading Tarzan, John Carter & Conan novels.

Tzeentch
Y'know 5 minutes of research would've stopped you from making such idiotic observations.

You didn't like the movie...that's fine but get your facts straight when you want to share an opinion. We've had this discussion before.

You: "Waaaaaah John Carter was an adaptation of a book written decades ago."

I care... why? The source material doesn't stop the movie from being a generic piece of shit. That the book is the inspiration for a lot of modern sci-fi/fantasy we have today is irrelevant.

Patient_Leech
Hey you have a passion with Riddick....my fondest childhood memories were reading Tarzan, John Carter & Conan novels.

Yeah, it's just not the right thread for it. You didn't start it, I know. I read the first two John Carter novels and loved them, too. And the movie was nothing like them. I liked the design of a lot of it, but it completely destroyed my vision of the story and characters, inserting stupid sci-fi cliches and made John Carter himself extremely unlikable (which was not the case in the books).

Jupiter Ascending (as far as I know) is not taken from any source material, aside from apparently having some parallels with Snow White. But it's clearly far from a literal translation of it. It looks to be an original work of science fiction from the Wachowski siblings... the kind of thing I've been waiting for them to do. A sci-fi space adventure by them will hopefully be quite the geek wet-dream.

Esau Cairn
Hey I said my peace about JC & that's all you'll hear from me about it.

I like the Wachowskis but they'll always suffer from having any of their current works being compared to the Matrix Trilogy all the time...especially special effects.

Oneness
I can't wait. This looks really good.

Patient_Leech
Pretty amusing image of the albino Channing Tatum...

http://img.moviepilot.com/assets/tarantulaV2/embedded_images/Jupiter-Ascending-EW-Exclusive_1389124843.jpg

(click image for source)

Stealth Moose
"Channung Tatum has Zero Melanin "

Yeah, I could have told you that.

Still looking forward to this movie though. Saw a preview when I went to see American Hustle or something. Thor 2? I forget.

Kazenji
fOvITFK98gg

quanchi112
Could go either way on this one.

Patient_Leech
Was debating whether or not to watch the trailer, so watched about half of it. I saw enough... I think it looks good.

Love this shot...

jaden101
As I said before. I've a terrible feeling this will be this year's John Carter. I hope not though. The Wachowskis can go either way. At least they're always daring enough to do something different though.

Robtard
"Set in the future where gods rule over humans, Jupiter Jones (Mila Kunis) is an unlucky Russian immigrant who cleans toilets for a living. She encounters Caine (Channing Tatum), an interplanetary warrior whom the Queen of the Universe sent to kill Jupiter. Caine tells Jupiter that the stars were pointing to an extraordinary event on the night she was born, and that her DNA could mark her as the universe's next leader."

And people have hope for this being a good sci fi. Tantum Channing alone just about guarantees it will be mediocre at best.

marwash22
eh, if anything it looks like we'll get a halfway decent character for the versus forum out of this.

jaden101
Plus Mila Kunis might get her jugs oot.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Robtard
"Set in the future where gods rule over humans, Jupiter Jones (Mila Kunis) is an unlucky Russian immigrant who cleans toilets for a living. She encounters Caine (Channing Tatum), an interplanetary warrior whom the Queen of the Universe sent to kill Jupiter. Caine tells Jupiter that the stars were pointing to an extraordinary event on the night she was born, and that her DNA could mark her as the universe's next leader."

And people have hope for this being a good sci fi. Tantum Channing alone just about guarantees it will be mediocre at best.

Yeah Channing Tantum is teribble........... roll eyes (sarcastic)

whatever you say Robtard.

Kazenji
*Terrible

fcuking 15 min rule.

Patient_Leech
I've never seen the fvck-face in anything, I don't think.

Wait, I have... the G.I. Joe movies and Public Enemies. All of which sucked, and I guess he wasn't very memorable because I never even really knew who he was.

Kazenji
Didn't even know he was Public Enemies

he was decent in 21 Jump Street & White House Down.

marwash22
i didn't really buy him in "White House Down", but that could just be due to the movie being poorly written. I more or less liked him in the "Joe" movies, particularly the second one where i thought he played well off of The Rock.

I think he's a better comedic than dramatic actor. To me, he doesn't have the look (or voice) of a tough guy which makes it difficult for me to take him seriously in action movies.

This one may work though, seeing as he's in heavy makeup and it's more of a "character" role.

Robtard

whatever you say Robtard.

I didn't say he was "terrible".

I did imply he's mediocre, at best. So that's what I said.

quanchi112

whatever you say Robtard. All Rob does is say movies are going to suck and this actor sucks.

Kazenji
The movie has been pushed to February 2015.

Tzeentch
Wow.

quanchi112
The movie has been pushed to February 2015. Another annoying time delay. The Seventh Son also fell victim to time delays that have been frustrating.

Patient_Leech
Son of a *****, really? Do you have a link?

I was looking forward to this this summer... : /

quanchi112
Son of a *****, really? Do you have a link?

I was looking forward to this this summer... : /

http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/04/showbiz/movies/jupiter-ascending-release-date-2015/

Weak move on their end. They don't have faith in the film IMO.

BruceSkywalker

just tells me they don't have faith in the wachowski's ...

Patient_Leech
http://www.cnn.com/2014/06/04/showbiz/movies/jupiter-ascending-release-date-2015/

Weak move on their end. They don't have faith in the film IMO.

...and no explanation of why. Son of a bee-otch. Hopefully it's to further render the (no doubt) extensive CG visuals.

Robtard
If it is CGI reasons, they probably would have said: "SFX is taking longer than we imagined; we want to deliver a fantastic visual experience to the audience"; that is something not terrible and rather encouraging to the awaiting fans.

So it's likely that it scored poorly with initial screenings and they're editing the crap out of it in hopes of getting a film that will at least break the budget and not Jon Carter all over the place. Which is something studios are reluctant to release.

quanchi112
...and no explanation of why. Son of a bee-otch. Hopefully it's to further render the (no doubt) extensive CG visuals. That is what they are saying but I don't buy it. I like these kinds of films to succeed so it sends the messages to studios to take more chances on them. I still remain cautiously optimistic but don't really believe this has a chance of being a mega hit to general audiences. I just hope I enjoy it when it does come out.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Robtard
If it is CGI reasons, they probably would have said: "SFX is taking longer than we imagined; we want to deliver a fantastic visual experience to the audience"; that is something not terrible and rather encouraging to the awaiting fans.

agreed

Originally posted by Robtard So it's likely that it scored poorly with initial screenings and they're editing the crap out of it in hopes of getting a film that will at least break the budget and not Jon Carter all over the place. Which is something studios are reluctant to release.

thumb up thumb up

Patient_Leech
That is what they are saying but I don't buy it. I like these kinds of films to succeed so it sends the messages to studios to take more chances on them. I still remain cautiously optimistic but don't really believe this has a chance of being a mega hit to general audiences. I just hope I enjoy it when it does come out.

I agree. I don't expect it to be a huge success. But there's no way it won't be a druggy space trip. That's where I'm placing my optimism.

quanchi112
I agree. I don't expect it to be a huge success. But there's no way it won't be a druggy space trip. That's where I'm placing my optimism. If the wachowski's flub this up they will have lost all credibility IMO.

Patient_Leech
Bump.

This comes out next weekend in the States and I think it'll need all the support it can get.

Kazenji
Found a review which was posted up on IMDB from another site

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/movies/what-on-earth-are-the-wachowskis-up-to-now/

Tzeentch
I think it's gonna bomb horrifically.

Still gonna see it, though. Looks like a decent sci-fi romp at least.

ares834
It definitely will. I didn't even know it was coming out this weekend and yet was planning to see it.

BruceSkywalker
does anyone think WB will have the batman v superman teaser in front of this?

Patient_Leech
Found a review which was posted up on IMDB from another site

http://www.macleans.ca/culture/movies/what-on-earth-are-the-wachowskis-up-to-now/

Interesting review. Thanks for posting. It sounds like pretty typical Wachowskis material, so I'm sure I'll thoroughly enjoy it.

Esau Cairn
I think it's gonna bomb horrifically.

Still gonna see it, though. Looks like a decent sci-fi romp at least.

Well hopefully it's no Cloud Atlas...

Patient_Leech
Yeah, I fear this is not being marketed well at all. I expected a Super Bowl trailer, but didn't see one (unless it came in the 4th quarter after I stopped watching). Seventh Son comes out the same day and it was plastered all over the screen during the latest big UFC match.

Kazenji
Seventh Son isn't getting released here until March 5, Unless it bombs and goes straight to dvd.

Lestov16
The general consensus seems to be that this movie is a lazily-unoriginal and bland Star Wars clone with ideas ripped off from the Matrix amongst many other sources, a confusingly complex plot, and OTT hammy acting and dialogue. IOW, this movie sucks ass.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Lestov16
The general consensus seems to be that this movie is a lazily-unoriginal and bland Star Wars clone with ideas ripped off from the Matrix amongst many other sources, a confusingly complex plot, and OTT hammy acting and dialogue. IOW, this movie sucks ass.

They did The Matrix movies, so that wouldn't be "ripping off," it would be rehashing. I didn't really expect great reviews because the Wachowskis are largely misunderstood. I loved the Matrix sequels when many people didn't, so I suspect it'll still be good. And this is in space, so it should rock! .

Spawningpool
I feel like I should not watch this movie

Robtard
I'm watching this, expect it to be a heaping pile of shit though. How long did it spend on the cutting table being revamped? But SciFi draws me in.

Firefly218
Wachowskis have started to care about visuals more than story

BruceSkywalker
im seeing this free tomorrow..

thank goodness for free movie passes

dynamix
Was not a fan of this movie. Everything about this movie reminds me of a Saturday morning cartoon (could be a good thing, I suppose, depending on who you are). The two leads had no chemistry at all and their romantic progression seems forced (and awkward) as hell. And yea it recycled ideas from lots of other movies.

BruceSkywalker
just got back .. This is one of the worst films I have ever seen... the acting was very very lowpar, the script sucked, the visuals were good.. I can see why Eddie Redwayne tried to deny this piece of shiite..

rudester
Fuken crap waste of time and money..best review called it space junk.
.lol

rudester
So she's queen of earth and still cleaning toilets..

Patient_Leech
Jesus, I don't understand the negativity with this when people crowd Michael Bay shit in droves. It was great, but it also helped that I saw it on an amazing 3D IMAX screen and I'm a big sci-fi fan. But I stand by the fact that the Wachowskis are largely misunderstood.

Q99
Jesus, I don't understand the negativity with this when people crowd Michael Bay shit in droves. It was great, but it also helped that I saw it on an amazing 3D IMAX screen and I'm a big sci-fi fan. But I stand by the fact that the Wachowskis are largely misunderstood.

Seriously. Visually and world-building wise, it was flat out incredible. Action was great. The technology was very clever. Captures a sense of scale nicely.

Plot wise? It was a bit of a romance story, except instead of Bella Swan there's someone much better than Bella Swan, and instead of Edward, you have someone better than Edward.

I mean, you had Space Queen facing off with Prince Ass while Space Werewolf Boyfriend fought Captain Space Dragon, all taking part in a giant exploding factory inside a big hurricane in space while the Space Police in the Normandy try and get to them.

I suspect we'll have a cult classic ala Fifth Element.

Also had plenty of shades of Dune in it, and a bit of warhammer 40k and Mass Effect (the Aegis ship is Normandy-esque, and the Captain was pretty badass. Makes me want to play as Black Femshep).

Originally posted by Lestov16

I think the disappoint more comes from it *not* being a Star Wars- or Guardians of the Galaxy- clone.

Female centric romance story in a baroque visually stunning space setting is way off from many people's expectations.

And the plot was pretty darn straightforward.

I will say I don't know if I'd have liked it as much if I went in with high expectations, but knowing going in 'romance focus, don't expect it to be a top SF film,' it actually positively surprised me some.

Patient_Leech
I don't think comparisons to Twilight are fair, despite Caine being spliced with something like a wolf. He never shape shifted or anything and this movie wasn't nearly as stupid and dreadfully bad as those movies. The action was great and it wasn't only romance. There is plenty of social commentary about corporate greed at the expense of the common people and the destruction of nature (ie planets and entire civilizations).

I thought it was fabulous. Don't understand what was disappointing. The Wachowskis have proven themselves to be just as savvy as the top CGI / action directors in the business... if not better, because they understand drama, character, and story.

Q99
I mean it purely in a positive way, the "It's a story about an initially fairly ordinary girl who get a superhuman awesome boyfriend," sense.

It is of course, much much better than Twilight, just nothing the similar story aspect and how that has some of the same appeal points.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Q99
Seriously. Visually and world-building wise, it was flat out incredible. Action was great. The technology was very clever. Captures a sense of scale nicely.

Precisely. The sense of scale to me was fantastic. Interstellar did not properly capture scale. It was directed in such a way as to completely negate the fantastic scale that it should have had. Jupiter Ascending had such amazing visuals to encapsulate the world building or perhaps more appropriate: universe building.

Q99
Precisely. The sense of scale to me was fantastic. Interstellar did not properly capture scale. It was directed in such a way as to completely negate the fantastic scale that it should have had. Jupiter Ascending had such amazing visuals to encapsulate the world building or perhaps more appropriate: universe building.

And the scale is not only visual, but in dialog too.

A Captain has a throw-away line about losing two million people under her command in a battle.

In a lot of Space Opera who *don't* get scale, that's a "oh no, two million! That's so huge!" number. In a civilization with, at minimum, thousands of worlds, that's, well, a throw-away line, as it should be!

Worlds live and die, millions is a common-place number, and this is a Big and Old civilization.

Tzeentch
Jesus, I don't understand the negativity with this when people crowd Michael Bay shit in droves. It was great, but it also helped that I saw it on an amazing 3D IMAX screen and I'm a big sci-fi fan. But I stand by the fact that the Wachowskis are largely misunderstood. Because Michael Bay films are shitty but fun.

Haven't seen this one yet, but every trailer I've seen hints at it being melodramatic and ultra srs business- in which case its going to have to actually be a well made film in regards to plot, characterization, acting etc.

Q99
Because Michael Bay films are shitty but fun.

Haven't seen this one yet, but every trailer I've seen hints at it being melodramatic and ultra srs business- in which case its going to have to actually be a well made film in regards to plot, characterization, acting etc.

There are fun moments. The action's very good. There's a bureaucracy scene with Terry Gilliam making a cameo! The cops are awesome.

I mean, the characters are rather standard- Normal girl finds out she's heir to being space queen, hot badass guy, yadda yadda. They do the job, though, and the worldbuilding in the story is good.

Daisy Roberts
Originally posted by rudester
So she's queen of earth and still cleaning toilets..

LOL))))you are right))

Patient_Leech
Because Michael Bay films are shitty but fun.
Fun to make fun OF, you mean.

Q99
Fun to make fun OF, you mean.

Hah, yea smile

Action wise, the Wachowski siblings don't make their fight scenes nearly as long, and I can tell what's happening better!

Q99
It's doing solidly internationally.

Makes sense that it'd do well in Russian, what with a daughter of Russians main character. That and Russia having a big SF tradition.

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Q99

Makes sense that it'd do well in Russian, what with a daughter of Russians main character. That and Russia having a big SF tradition.

that prolly won;t be enough to not call this a total misfire, disaster flop, bomb, etc

Q99
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
that prolly won;t be enough to not call this a total misfire, disaster flop, bomb, etc

Yea. Though at least if it's worldwide total is above production costs it won't be as big of a one.

Trajectory-wise, it looks pretty similar to Fifth Element, the last weird original-property space opera. While I like them, I don't think weird setting space opera have enough public draw yet...

Robtard
Originally posted by Q99

I heard that Kunis wipes from back to front. Just what I heard

Tzeentch
Fun to make fun OF, you mean. Kind of like Prometheus I guess, yeah.

Q99
Kind of like Prometheus I guess, yeah.

Prometheus or Michael Bay, I'd prefer Jupiter Ascending and Wachowskis over either of 'em ^^

Tzeentch
Because Channing Tatum? I can respect that.

Q99
Well, him and just the setting and visuals. I'm a big fan of worldbuilding.

Lestov16
Kind of sad that the fight choreographers/main actor of The Matrix made a better and more successful film than the actual auteurs of The Matrix did.

BruceSkywalker
so will you guys out up the money for a sequel???

hahahahahahahahahaha

playa1258
The scale was very impressive in this film.

Time Immemorial
Is this worth seeing?

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
Is this worth seeing?

nope

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
nope

Roger

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>