As few as 5,000 blue whales left in the world.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

juggernaut94
I usually don't get affected by these kind of things. I do get cross but not to the point where I actually rage.

But I was reading the news yesterday, and came across this:

Blue Whale Tragedy

It's not for some people because the article contains pictures of a blue whale basically... 'torn in half' by a container that was passing by. Struck it whilst it was asleep. I know this happens often, just that there's not much footage of it.

But this really pissed me off because whales are such large, rare, beautiful, majestic creatures. And to think, as few as 5,000 blue whales left? In the world? It's truly heartbreaking.

I know some people aren't bothered or care, but this was kind of like a slap in the face, a 'wake-up call' of some sort for me.

I feel like we shouldn't even be in the ocean, in the first place. It sounds unreasonable because we do transport large containers and materials in bulk via the ocean and some of our food comes from the ocean... But bloody hell, it feels like we've taken so much from the land. We've conquered land, cleared forests and produced so much pollution - I don't really care what happens to the human population. What bothers me is how our actions, human activities, are affecting wildlife on a daily basis.

Perhaps I'm taking this a bit too far lol. But yeah, thoughts? Or is there really nothing to say and accept this?

Mindset
Originally posted by juggernaut94
I don't really care what happens to the human population. Yes you do.

ArtificialGlory
Can they just finally go extinct so that people can stop moaning about it?

dadudemon
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Can they just finally go extinct so that people can stop moaning about it?

laughing laughing laughing

Cold heartless bastard.

laughing

That's something I would say. no expression

Fer realz, though. We should be better humans, on the whole.

Omega Vision
Why stay out of the ocean completely?

Just be more mindful of where whales are so you don't run over them with your ships.

Mindset
I bet the Japanese are behind this.

RE: Blaxican
But this really pissed me off because whales are such large, rare, beautiful, majestic creatures.So if whales were ugly, horrific creatures, would you not give a shit? That's a little vein and messed up.

On the other hand, I'm not really that surprised anymore.

I think it's a little funny how humans only give a shit about animals becoming extinct when they're endangered. When they're numerous and thriving, they're a nuisance.

juggernaut94
Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
So if whales were ugly, horrific creatures, would you not give a shit? That's a little vein and messed up.

On the other hand, I'm not really that surprised anymore.

I think it's a little funny how humans only give a shit about animals becoming extinct when they're endangered. When they're numerous and thriving, they're a nuisance.

Vain*.

And even if they were ugly, horrific creatures, I'd still feel the same way. Even if centipedes were becoming extinct, I'd be pretty annoyed as well because they do have a role in their ecosystem / habitat that they're in.

And I personally have always 'given a shit'. I have always cared about animals, be them in millions, thousands, or tens. Alas, one can only do so much.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Why stay out of the ocean completely?

Just be more mindful of where whales are so you don't run over them with your ships.

True. I really meant that since we do use the ocean often as a way of transport, oil-extracting, etc., we should be more careful.

RE: Blaxican
Except humans? That's a little weird.

red g jacks
it would suck to live in a whale-less world. probably wouldn't miss centipedes much.

Omega Vision
If whales were to disappear it would be a tragedy, but life would go on and eventually another kind of animal would take their niche.

I'm not saying "fvck the whales", I'm just wondering how essential they are to the ecosystem...maybe keeping krill from overpopulating?

Lestov16
Someone needs to call Paul Watson in this *****...

jaden101
Originally posted by dadudemon

Fer realz, though. We should be better humans, on the whole.

Speak for yourself man...I'm ****ing great.

rudester
why cant we have them in a large cotainer where we can repopulate them and be mindful of them?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by rudester
why cant we have them in a large cotainer where we can repopulate them and be mindful of them?
Because a container large enough to keep a population of blue whales and their food supply would be the size of one of the smaller Great Lakes?

0mega Spawn
sliced in half whilst sleeping hmm... clearly a freddy kreuger victim.

0mega Spawn
whale that blows... get it Happy Dance

rudester
poor whaley... FREE WILLY

http://mspaintmoviespoilers.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/free-willy.png

AsbestosFlaygon
This is the saddest thing I've ever read.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
This is the saddest thing I've ever read. erm

u70EYe4vy8U

Darth Truculent
www.seasheperd.org

Bluesteel
Sea Sheperd dont care about whales. They are lying terrorists who are only seeking drama to promote themselves.

Thoren
We need Captain Kirk to save them.

En Sabah Nur X
cancer resistance of whales could possibly teach us to be extremely resistant to it, hopefully the whales don't go away with their secret.

0mega Spawn
well... imma wail if all the whale go farewell... beer

Major_Lexington
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
well... imma wail if all the whale go farewell... beer

oh Wale Well Well! laughing

Darth Truculent
Bluesteel you sound like the Japanese & Faroesse . . . I guess you don't care about the planet

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Darth Truculent
Bluesteel you sound like the Japanese & Faroesse . . . I guess you don't care about the planet
Or he just doesn't buy into the Sea Shepherd propaganda.

For an example that I don't pretend is perfect (it has lots of obvious flaws with it but as a whole still stands true) think of the Spanish Civil War. Anyone who didn't support the Republicans didn't necessarily love fascism or not care about freedom. They just noticed that much like the captain of the Sea Shepherds is a charlatan and a liar the Republican forces were primarily supplied and supported by Joseph Stalin.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Darth Truculent

I don't get the Japanese part. no expression

Bardock42
Would we all feel better if we had named this thread "As many as 5000 blue whales left in the world!"

Robtard
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I don't get the Japanese part. no expression

Cos the Japanese are known for their not planet caring.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Robtard
Cos the Japanese are known for their not planet caring.

I have a friend who loves the planet. Does this mean she is not Japanese? confused

Robtard
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I have a friend who loves the planet. Does this mean she is not Japanese? confused

Yes, or she's Japanese and a traitor to Japan.

Shakyamunison
Yes, or she's Japanese and a traitor to Japan.

She will not be happy about that. laughing out loud

Omega Vision
I'm more concerned about Bengal tigers. There's fewer than 3000 of them in the world IIRC.

red g jacks
i read not to long ago there's around 3000 or so tigers total left in the wild, and that there's a larger of them in captivity (somewhere around 5000, iirc). that's including all the subspecies.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by red g jacks
i read not to long ago there's around 3000 or so tigers total left in the wild, and that there's a larger of them in captivity (somewhere around 5000, iirc). that's including all the subspecies.
Well 150 or so of them were killed when that private owner in Ohio released all his animals and wildlife officials shot them to protect the local populace.

It's horrific that a private citizen with no qualifications was allowed to keep a whole number percentage of an endangered species.

red g jacks
yea, i heard about that.

i honestly think there should be some sort of line we draw between what type of animals people can own, even in regard to the ones that aren't endangered. its not too uncommon for wild animals people keep as pets to get released into an environment they're exotic to and still manage to survive, and that seems like something that could easily cause problems.

one story that comes to mind is a while back when i lived in florida, there was some news story about a giant python they found with an alligator inside it. the snake was most likely a pet that was released, as it isn't a native species.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by red g jacks
yea, i heard about that.

i honestly think there should be some sort of line we draw between what type of animals people can own, even in regard to the ones that aren't endangered. its not too uncommon for wild animals people keep as pets to get released into an environment they're exotic to and still manage to survive, and that seems like something that could easily cause problems.

one story that comes to mind is a while back when i lived in florida, there was some news story about a giant python they found with an alligator inside it. the snake was most likely a pet that was released, as it isn't a native species.
Right now pythons and boas are taking over the Everglades, real talk.

And just two hours east of here, in Ocala, there's a river with a huge population of wild monkeys--descendants of a few monkeys who escaped during the filming of one of the Tarzan movies.

red g jacks
wow @ wild monkeys in florida. that is news to me.

a somewhat less extreme example i have seen for myself is that in certain parts there was a flourishing population of wild iguanas.

Insomniatric
That's a lot compared to the amount of tigers left in the world (a little over 100, I think).

Archaeopteryx
Originally posted by Omega Vision
If whales were to disappear it would be a tragedy, but life would go on and eventually another kind of animal would take their niche.

I'm not saying "fvck the whales", I'm just wondering how essential they are to the ecosystem...maybe keeping krill from overpopulating?

And how essential are humans to the eco system?

Oliver North
Originally posted by Archaeopteryx

we're the apex predator on like 70% of the planet's land...

EDIT: where we aren't, it is due to humans not living there

Tzeentch._
And how essential are humans to the eco system? When the giant asteroid is days away from smashing Earth into space dust, I highly doubt the whales are going to be the ones stepping up to the plate to save the planet.

Bruce Willis alone is worth the human population's weight in whale blubber.

Omega Vision
The only reason ecology is of any importance (i.e., why we'd care about whales) is the effects that ecological changes have on human life.

Remove humans and it's a moot point. So humans are absolutely, supremely essential to the ecosystem.

Archaeopteryx
Originally posted by Oliver North

Yes we are, but that doesn't mean we're essential to the eco system. The opposite in fact is true...if humans were to disappear from the earth the eco system would be much healthier.

Oliver North
Yes we are, but that doesn't mean we're essential to the eco system. The opposite in fact is true...if humans were to disappear from the earth the eco system would be much healthier.

a different ecosystem would be different in ways you call healthier, sure

and yes, apex predators are essential to their ecosystems

Archaeopteryx
a different ecosystem would be different in ways you call healthier, sure

and yes, apex predators are essential to their ecosystems

Apex predators existed for hundreds of millions of years before we were here, though unlike us were not harmful to the biosphere. We do far more damage to the eco system than good.

Oliver North
that is an entirely unrelated point though

Symmetric Chaos
if humans were to disappear from the earth the eco system would be much healthier.

No, just different. Ecosystem "health" really just means something we consider healthy or beneficial.

Take cities for example. They are a whole new ecosystem, one that is almost totally dependent on human action. If you remove people from cities the existing ecosystem there will collapse and be replaced with a new one. Neither is "healthier".

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
No, just different. Ecosystem "health" really just means something we consider healthy or beneficial.

Take cities for example. They are a whole new ecosystem, one that is almost totally dependent on human action. If you remove people from cities the existing ecosystem there will collapse and be replaced with a new one. Neither is "healthier".
The reason why I've never bought into the notion of nature having a "balance".

Ascendancy
Neither is "healthier" in and of itself, but and other top predators don't sustain themselves in ways that destroy the environment they are in without balance. That said, I don't know that humanity suddenly disappearing and leaving untreated toxic waste, spent and unspent nuclear fuel, and whatever other various processed and unprocessed chemicals lying around would be a good thing.

Symmetric Chaos
Originally posted by Ascendancy
Neither is "healthier" in and of itself, but and other top predators don't sustain themselves in ways that destroy the environment they are in without balance.

You can't destroy "the environment" only whatever environment there currently is.

Health is really a human-centric thing. Cyanobacter killing off so many other life forms it defined an epoch was natural. An asteroid wiping out the dinosaurs was natural.

In both cases the environment wasn't destroyed. It just changed.

Humans are no different except that, unlike cyanobacter and large pieces of rock, we are consciously self interested. If the current environment changes too much we all die. That's bad because we die not because things have changed, change is a constant.

Grand-Moff-Gav
Neither is "healthier" in and of itself, but and other top predators don't sustain themselves in ways that destroy the environment they are in without balance. That said, I don't know that humanity suddenly disappearing and leaving untreated toxic waste, spent and unspent nuclear fuel, and whatever other various processed and unprocessed chemicals lying around would be a good thing.

Actually they can, just look what the grey squirrels did to red squirrel populations.

Bardock42
That said, I don't know that humanity suddenly disappearing and leaving untreated toxic waste, spent and unspent nuclear fuel, and whatever other various processed and unprocessed chemicals lying around would be a good thing.

But that's the thing, untreated toxic waste, pent and unspent nuclear fuel and whatever other various processed and unprocessed chemicals are only bad in relation to humans.

We don't like those things cause they **** us up.

Insomniatric

Actually, there's a small village somewhere in Asia where tigers prey on people (it's so bad that people wear masks on the back of their heads to deter the tigers). The tigers will even attack their canoes when they're in the middle of a river.

My second post in this thread about tigers, weird, didn't even intend for that to happen.

Archaeopteryx
Originally posted by Insomniatric
Actually, there's a small village somewhere in Asia where tigers prey on people (it's so bad that people wear masks on the back of their heads to deter the tigers). The tigers will even attack their canoes when they're in the middle of a river.

My second post in this thread about tigers, weird, didn't even intend for that to happen.

Big cats (and bears) kill people all over the world. Having said that we kill a lot more of them than the other way around.

Insomniatric
Big cats (and bears) kill people all over the world. Having said that we kill a lot more of them than the other way around.

I know that, we've driven tigers to the brink of extinction. I was just talking about this one particular village where the tigers are higher on the food chain than people.

Omega Vision
I know that, we've driven tigers to the brink of extinction. I was just talking about this one particular village where the tigers are higher on the food chain than people.
I think in those cases tigers are cordoned into such tight spaces that they have a caged animal mentality and will be unnaturally aggressive toward humans.

Darth Jello
Whale shit reduces carbon levels greatly by stimulating growth of phytoplankton.

Oliver North
Originally posted by Darth Jello
Whale shit reduces carbon levels greatly by stimulating growth of phytoplankton.

so does carbon capture technology wink

If you are talking about the same Indian community I'm thinking of, the issues also involve being poorly developed and and the area being a tiger sanctuary where individuals aren't allowed to hunt the animals.

To be frank, the continued existence of tigers in the modern world is a human aesthetic. We could annihilate the species with little difficulty, and almost did it by accident.

crystalmaden
They should conserve these beautiful whales on the ocean. They're such a wonderful creature.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
This is the saddest thing I've ever read.

cdtm
Japan and Iceland are the main culprits, apparently.

rudester
Dame those fancy Japanezes and those blonde Icelanders.

Jmanghan
Apparently there are 25k now, so a rise in the amount.

Robtard
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Apparently there are 25k now, so a rise in the amount.

You're welcome

Jmanghan
You're welcome ??

Blakemore
**** you Wales, **** you dorphins

rudester
I wonder what perfume whale smells like?

rudester
I'll take two perfume whales please!

Blakemore
Whales are big animals, so are orca, but they live in water, so I'll be safe.

jaden_2.0
https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1506116303l/27274407._SY475_.jpg

S_W_LeGenD
I usually don't get affected by these kind of things. I do get cross but not to the point where I actually rage.

But I was reading the news yesterday, and came across this:

Blue Whale Tragedy

It's not for some people because the article contains pictures of a blue whale basically... 'torn in half' by a container that was passing by. Struck it whilst it was asleep. I know this happens often, just that there's not much footage of it.

But this really pissed me off because whales are such large, rare, beautiful, majestic creatures. And to think, as few as 5,000 blue whales left? In the world? It's truly heartbreaking.

I know some people aren't bothered or care, but this was kind of like a slap in the face, a 'wake-up call' of some sort for me.

I feel like we shouldn't even be in the ocean, in the first place. It sounds unreasonable because we do transport large containers and materials in bulk via the ocean and some of our food comes from the ocean... But bloody hell, it feels like we've taken so much from the land. We've conquered land, cleared forests and produced so much pollution - I don't really care what happens to the human population. What bothers me is how our actions, human activities, are affecting wildlife on a daily basis.

Perhaps I'm taking this a bit too far lol. But yeah, thoughts? Or is there really nothing to say and accept this?

There should be authentic UN-led effort to save these majestic whales.

truejedi
I guess the whales we have today are very small compared to the whales from 400 years ago. Especially the Sperm whale. Very sad stuff.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.