KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » As few as 5,000 blue whales left in the world.

As few as 5,000 blue whales left in the world.
Started by: juggernaut94

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
juggernaut94
You don't say?

As few as 5,000 blue whales left in the world.

I usually don't get affected by these kind of things. I do get cross but not to the point where I actually rage.

But I was reading the news yesterday, and came across this:

Blue Whale Tragedy

It's not for some people because the article contains pictures of a blue whale basically... 'torn in half' by a container that was passing by. Struck it whilst it was asleep. I know this happens often, just that there's not much footage of it.

But this really pissed me off because whales are such large, rare, beautiful, majestic creatures. And to think, as few as 5,000 blue whales left? In the world? It's truly heartbreaking.

I know some people aren't bothered or care, but this was kind of like a slap in the face, a 'wake-up call' of some sort for me.

I feel like we shouldn't even be in the ocean, in the first place. It sounds unreasonable because we do transport large containers and materials in bulk via the ocean and some of our food comes from the ocean... But bloody hell, it feels like we've taken so much from the land. We've conquered land, cleared forests and produced so much pollution - I don't really care what happens to the human population. What bothers me is how our actions, human activities, are affecting wildlife on a daily basis.

Perhaps I'm taking this a bit too far lol. But yeah, thoughts? Or is there really nothing to say and accept this?

Old Post May 12th, 2012 01:04 PM
juggernaut94 is currently offline Click here to Send juggernaut94 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut94 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

Re: As few as 5,000 blue whales left in the world.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by juggernaut94
I don't really care what happens to the human population.
Yes you do.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post May 12th, 2012 02:22 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Can they just finally go extinct so that people can stop moaning about it?

Last edited by ArtificialGlory on May 12th, 2012 at 02:48 PM

Old Post May 12th, 2012 02:45 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
Can they just finally go extinct so that people can stop moaning about it?

laughing laughing laughing

Cold heartless bastard.

laughing

That's something I would say. no expression

Fer realz, though. We should be better humans, on the whole.

Old Post May 12th, 2012 03:00 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision
Face Flowed Into Her Eyes

Why stay out of the ocean completely?

Just be more mindful of where whales are so you don't run over them with your ships.

“Where the longleaf pines are whispering
to him who loved them so.
Where the faint murmurs now dwindling
echo o’er tide and shore."

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 12th, 2012 03:26 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

I bet the Japanese are behind this.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post May 12th, 2012 04:16 PM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

Re: As few as 5,000 blue whales left in the world.

But this really pissed me off because whales are such large, rare, beautiful, majestic creatures.
So if whales were ugly, horrific creatures, would you not give a shit? That's a little vein and messed up.

quote:
I don't really care what happens to the human population. [/B]
On the other hand, I'm not really that surprised anymore.

I think it's a little funny how humans only give a shit about animals becoming extinct when they're endangered. When they're numerous and thriving, they're a nuisance.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Last edited by Tzeentch on May 12th, 2012 at 04:44 PM

Old Post May 12th, 2012 04:40 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut94
You don't say?

Originally posted by RE: Blaxican
So if whales were ugly, horrific creatures, would you not give a shit? That's a little vein and messed up.

On the other hand, I'm not really that surprised anymore.

I think it's a little funny how humans only give a shit about animals becoming extinct when they're endangered. When they're numerous and thriving, they're a nuisance.

Vain*.

And even if they were ugly, horrific creatures, I'd still feel the same way. Even if centipedes were becoming extinct, I'd be pretty annoyed as well because they do have a role in their ecosystem / habitat that they're in.

And I personally have always 'given a shit'. I have always cared about animals, be them in millions, thousands, or tens. Alas, one can only do so much.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
Why stay out of the ocean completely?

Just be more mindful of where whales are so you don't run over them with your ships.

True. I really meant that since we do use the ocean often as a way of transport, oil-extracting, etc., we should be more careful.

Old Post May 12th, 2012 06:05 PM
juggernaut94 is currently offline Click here to Send juggernaut94 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut94 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tzeentch
#gottem

[BI have always cared about animals[/B]
Except humans? That's a little weird.

"The Daemon lied with every breath. It could not help itself but to deceive and dismay, to riddle and ruin. The more we conversed, the closer I drew to one singularly ineluctable fact: I would gain no wisdom here."

Old Post May 12th, 2012 06:13 PM
Tzeentch is currently offline Click here to Send Tzeentch a Private Message Find more posts by Tzeentch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
red g jacks
Restricted

Account Restricted

it would suck to live in a whale-less world. probably wouldn't miss centipedes much.

Old Post May 12th, 2012 09:46 PM
red g jacks is currently offline Click here to Send red g jacks a Private Message Find more posts by red g jacks Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

If whales were to disappear it would be a tragedy, but life would go on and eventually another kind of animal would take their niche.

I'm not saying "fvck the whales", I'm just wondering how essential they are to the ecosystem...maybe keeping krill from overpopulating?

-A Grave Epitaph in Santa Rosa County, Florida; I wish I could remember the man's name.

Old Post May 12th, 2012 09:49 PM
Omega Vision is currently offline Click here to Send Omega Vision a Private Message Find more posts by Omega Vision Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lestov16
CTU Field Agent

Someone needs to call Paul Watson in this *****...

"Tell him that you've got credible intelligence about a threat to his life"-
Jack Bauer

Old Post May 13th, 2012 12:20 AM
Lestov16 is currently offline Click here to Send Lestov16 a Private Message Find more posts by Lestov16 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by dadudemon

Fer realz, though. We should be better humans, on the whole.

Speak for yourself man...I'm ****ing great.

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post May 13th, 2012 01:19 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rudester
Tommy

why cant we have them in a large cotainer where we can repopulate them and be mindful of them?

Old Post May 13th, 2012 04:41 AM
rudester is currently offline Click here to Send rudester a Private Message Find more posts by rudester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Omega Vision

Originally posted by rudester
why cant we have them in a large cotainer where we can repopulate them and be mindful of them?

Because a container large enough to keep a population of blue whales and their food supply would be the size of one of the smaller Great Lakes?

Old Post May 13th, 2012 04:42 AM
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

sliced in half whilst sleeping hmm... clearly a freddy kreuger victim.

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post May 13th, 2012 05:02 AM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0mega Spawn
TheWarmestSun

whale that blows... get it Happy Dance

My Reality Is Your Imagination.

Old Post May 13th, 2012 05:05 AM
0mega Spawn is currently offline Click here to Send 0mega Spawn a Private Message Find more posts by 0mega Spawn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rudester
Tommy

poor whaley... FREE WILLY

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post May 13th, 2012 05:14 AM
rudester is currently offline Click here to Send rudester a Private Message Find more posts by rudester Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

This is the saddest thing I've ever read.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post May 13th, 2012 04:26 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
This is the saddest thing I've ever read.
erm

Old Post May 13th, 2012 05:47 PM
Lord Lucien is currently offline Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote