sharingan vs byakugan

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

deathcon27
no this is not neji vs sasuke i only want to know which one you guys(and girls) think is better in an offensive defensive and against each other

RE: Blaxican
Hmmm. The ability to see objects in every direction versus the ability to alter-reality, send people to other dimensions, summon nigh-invincible shields that can also attack, summon black fire that can eat through anything, and trap enemies in horrific optical illusions that are nearly impossible to escape from.

Tough choice.

Astner
I really want to reply to this topic categorizing the abilities and bring up the comparisons, and advantages and disadvantages with each technique using the manga. But I'm just too tired and I need to get up early tomorrow. Perhaps I'll attend to it later.

KingD19
Byakugan is better for recon I suppose. Sharingan is better for everything else.

socool8520
Byakugan is a great counter to the sharingan as I recall. Isn't it stated that the Byakugan can see through genjutsu?

If we are talking from a clearly taijutsu stand point, then I think Byakugan is better since you have nearly 360 vision, can see chakra points, hidden weapons or enemies, etc.

However from an all purpose stand point, the sharingan is clearly better. The power of genjutsu, although over rated, is powerful nonetheless. Not too mention the offensive and defensive capabilities. With attacks and defense like Susan'o, Amaterasu, Tsukiyomi, there is no way the Byakugan can compare. The best defense I have seen from The byakugan is neji's rotation defense, and he is the only one I have seen do it. They also have the gentle fist method, but this requires you to get close. This is not true of sharingan.

The sharingan is much better in my opinion. The only drawback is the cost of vision with sharingan as opposed to none I can think of with byakugan.

Q99
I think Byakugan is possibly better than base Sharingan (2 tomoe), but a mastered basic sharingan (3 tomoe) passes it, and a mangekyo is in an entire different league.

socool8520
^ I see your point about basic sharingan being about equal, but I think being able to copy jutsus instantly gives it the slight advantage

Q99
Originally posted by socool8520
^ I see your point about basic sharingan being about equal, but I think being able to copy jutsus instantly gives it the slight advantage

That's long-term useful, but it's still limited by the user's ability to use the jutsu (i.e. if you don't have that element release or skill in shaping chakra or even just enough chakra, you can't use it. If you aren't physically on a level for the taijutsu, yours'll be a shadow of it, and so on). Note how despite having it for years, Sasuke doesn't actually have a crazy number of jutsu, because everyone he fights uses different elements or kekkei genkai or non-hand seal jutsu and all that. He ends up still learning most of his stuff the old fashion way, taijutsu aside.

And that's about all basic sharingan gives you, aside from genjutsu defense (which byakugan gives too) and enhanced perception/chakra sight.

Byakuyan's perception ability allowing you to see what your opponent is doing, and hurt their organs and even chakra systems, is a very immediately-useful thing, and lets you do stuff like learn to

Now, three tomoe you get into both precog, which is awesome, and being able to do eye genjutsu of your own. That's where it surpasses byakugan.

socool8520
Good point. But Sasuke was able to replicate Lee's speed for the most part (which I think is doo-doo), although it was more taxing. I think the fact that Sasuke doesn't know alot of varied jutsus is just forgetful on the writer's part (more so with Kakashi). As far as I know, Byakugan does not give you physical boosts like that in that short of time like the Sharingan could do. But again, over use of the sharingan blinds you and all that happens with over use of the Byakugan is fatique.

Q99
Sasuke was able to copy his moves and from that manage to get his speed up in intense training. He didn't copy the speed strait off, that is to say the eyes didn't up his speed directly just told him what to aim for with physical training.

Going by the databooks, even post speed training he wasn't *as* fast as Lee, just close (3.5 vs 4).

I think there's a real issue that once you're good, you don't need the weak jutsu most everyone has, and a lot of the jutsu you want require some tool, or physical modification, or seal-less trick, that can't really be copied so easily.

Part of the reason Kakashi can do so many is he has 3 elements, which almost no-one else does, and that's another thing that requires intense non-eye training as a prereq.

socool8520
It's still lame considering he wasn't training for nearly as long as Lee, and got up to comparable speed. That was too much Sasuke love from Kishi.

Even weak justus can be useful and modified, depending on the situation. Especially deception and hiding type justsus.

Zack Fair
What was the deal with the Rinnegan...? Just watched for the first time the entire Naruto/Shippudden shows in about a month so i may have missed/forgotten/mixedup something. It was hyped to be the ultimate eye thingy, but it sort of didn't deliver IMO. Unless of course it was the sole reason responsible for Nagato being so powerful and having so much chakra?

Enlighten me Narunerds!

socool8520
The rinnegan allowed for Nagato to use all those paths. Force/attract power, chakra absorption, shinra tensei, shared vision between members, pretty much everything Nagato was able to accomplish with his six paths. It's the strongest of the eye powers

Zack Fair
The rinnegan allowed for Nagato to use all those paths. Force/attract power, chakra absorption, shinra tensei, shared vision between members, pretty much everything Nagato was able to accomplish with his six paths. It's the strongest of the eye powers

thumb up Thanks.

socool8520
no prob.

Q99
In addition to that, someone with Rinnegan is supposed to have access to every element, though we haven't seen that in use yet.

It's still lame considering he wasn't training for nearly as long as Lee, and got up to comparable speed. That was too much Sasuke love from Kishi.

Mind, Sasuke was already very fast. The difference wasn't huge.

Not as useful as Byakugan's telescopic/x-ray/360 vision IMO. It lets you see long ways off, and see hiding things, and see anyone coming behind you. The last one, in a ninja world...? So very useful. At no point does it become not-useful, and it's basically better than the Rinnegan's shared vision (as long as you don't take eye damage).

TheAuraAngel
Byakugan allows you to see through clothes.

It is better. :T

socool8520
Mind, Sasuke was already very fast. The difference wasn't huge.

I disagree. Sasuke wasn't even capable of blocking an attack from lee with his weights on during their first encounter. big speed difference. It wasn't until the training period with Kakshi that he was even comparable to Lee.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by deathcon27
no this is not neji vs sasuke i only want to know which one you guys(and girls) think is better in an offensive defensive and against each other

A basic gist of the common abilities of these two doujutsu.

Sharingan:
1) Gives one the ability to see chakra, but not the chakra pathways.
2) Gives one the ability to track the physical movements of any object, no matter how fast it or the user himself is moving. Once the Sharingan evolves into its 3-tomoe stage, this ability advances and the user becomes capable of predicting the future movements of said object.
3) Gives one the ability to potentially mimic any jutsu they see with their Sharingan.
4) Gives one the ability to use and counter genjutsu with their eyes.

Byakugan:
1) Gives one the ability to see chakra, as well as the chakra pathways within a person. Gifted users are also capable of seeing the Tenketsu, tiny points along the chakra pathway that are used to emit chakra.
2) Gives one X-ray vision that allows one to see through physical objects and people.
3) Gives one Telescopic vision that allows one to see distant objects.
4) Gives one a 360 degree field of vision, with a small blind spot, and a variable range.

Offensive standpoint:

The Sharingan allows one to use genjutsu with their eyes, and this allows them to trap opponents in a genjutsu just by looking them in the eye.

Sharingan users can also potentially mimic any Taijutsu, Genjutsu, or Ninjutsu that they see. Of course, this ability is limited. They cannot mimic a technique they are simply incapable of performing, such as a technique that has requirements the user does not possess. Various examples include:
a) Sasuke being incapable of mimicking Storm-Release jutsu, as he lacks the Advanced Chakra Nature necessary to use Storm-Release.
b) Sasuke being incapable of mimicking Naruto's ability to summon Toads, as he lacks the Summoning Contract with Toads.
c) Sasuke being incapable of mimicking A's Raiton Armor, as he lacks the chakra reserves necessary to use the Armor.
d) Sasuke being incapable of mimicking Earth-Release jutsu, as he hasn't trained enough to acquire Earth-Release.

In other words, the limiting factor to this ability is the user's own capabilities.

In most cases, the Byakugan's lack of an offensive edge is rendered irrelevant, as the user would have been trained in Gentle Fist. Using the first ability of the Byakugan, a GF user can attack the chakra pathway, and cause massive and potentially fatal damage to the opponent. If one can see the Tenketsu, they could also shut down their opponent's ability to use chakra. It should be noted however that Gentle Fist is only useable if one possesses the Byakugan; whereas if one possesses the Byakugan, they do not automatically possess GF.

Defensive standpoint:

The Sharingan for instance, can be used to successfully repel genjutsu, and it can even be used to turn an opponent's genjutsu against themselves.

In addition, if one can copy an opponent's jutsu successfully, the user could use the copied jutsu to cancel out the opponent's jutsu.
Though arguably it is the ability to track fast moving objects that is its best defensive aspect. Once the user gains the 3-tomoe Sharingan, they can predict the physical movements of said fast-tracking objects, giving them a significant advantage. Of course, this also possesses limitations.

The user's physical capabilities come into play here, i.e. if one's body cannot keep up with one's eyes, then it doesn't matter if you can still see the attack, as your body cannot move in time to react to the attack. In addition, certain things, like Chakra cloaks moving on their own for instance, cannot be predicted. Finally, sheer top-end speed, like that of A's max speed, can get apparently past the Sharingan's tracking & predictive ability. I believe that A was only able to get past Sasuke as he moved around him, and Sasuke's neck couldn't turn quickly enough, i.e. it wasn't the Sharingan itself that failed there. But that is a discussion for some other time.

Finally, the Sharingan can also be used to cast Izanagi, which is commonly used to negate any damage that occurs to the user. Said reality-warping comes at the price of the Sharingan going blind however.

The Byakugan on the other hand, allows one to see anything and through anything, that is within their range. This range varies, and its lowest known value is at least 50 metres. In addition, their visual range is 360 degrees, and has only a small blind-spot. The weakness of this blind-spot can be somewhat mitigated by moving it around.
As such, the user would be capable of seeing an attack coming from any direction at least 50 meters away, and they could easily avoid said attack.

Sneaking up on a Byakugan user would also be impossible.

Though the Byakugan lacks the ability to repel/counter genjutsu like the Sharingan, it can still be used to determine if one is trapped in a genjutsu. Hinata used her Byakugan to determine that Tobi was not an illusion, and actually existed at the spot where they could see him. As such, by itself, it provides a passable defence against genjutsu.

Some GF users possess an additional powerful defence. Kaiten is a spinning tech that emits chakra in every direction and thus it functions as an omni-directional shield.

Of course, once again, GF itself isn't automatically gained when one has the Byakugan. Rather, it uses the Byakugan's unique abilities. Much like Uchiha use the Sharingan's abilities in order to use their Windmill and Shuriken techs.

There are other aspects worth noting too. If either is transferred, the Sharingan stays active all the time, whereas the Byakugan can be turned on an off at will. Thus the Sharingan user will have to fight with one eye covered up or else his chakra will be drained rapidly if he is not an Uchiha, whereas the Byakugan user need not cover up his eye if he is not a Hyuuga.
Another thing to note is that the Byakugan is present in virtually every Hyuuga that is born, and can be activated instantly. Unlike the Byakugan, the Sharingan isn't always present in every Uchiha, and it needs to be awakened first before it can be used regularly. In order to awaken the Sharingan, an Uchiha needs to undergo some form of emotional pressure.
One final thing to note is that the Sharingan possesses an advanced form, namely the Mangekyou Sharingan, which itself has its own extreme advantages and disadvantages. The Sharingan is also capable of evolving into the Rinn'egan, the third and most powerful doujutsu, but the conditions to do so are unknown.

If these two are used against each other, it would ultimately depend on the combatants themselves in my opinion.
Most people agree that the order is 3 Tomoe Sharingan > Byakugan > 2 Tomoe Sharingan. However, depending on the combatant's own skills, one could easily argue that a Byakugan user would best a 3 Tomoe Sharingan user, or that 2 Tomoe Sharingan user would best a Byakugan user.

Both have their advantages and disadvantages. The Sharingan is geared more towards combat, while the Byakugan is superior when it comes to vision, though the Hyuuga are capable of using its unique abilities in conjunction with their chakra control to come up with a very powerful style of taijutsu.

Nao, this thread can die. Unless anyone wants me to include MS tl;dr as well. vin

RE: Blaxican
^ What a nerd

Demonic Phoenix
I love you too.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by deathcon27
no this is not neji vs sasuke i only want to know which one you guys(and girls) think is better in an offensive defensive and against each other you must be new to the manga

Astner
The Byakugan has a few advantages over the Sharingan. The most notable being the ability to see the chakra holes. Overall it's a more efficient version of the Sharingan's ability to read chakra flows. The gentle fist style is centered around this ability. The gentle fist is a style of taijutsu you can't train your body against, making it one of the most powerful taijutsu styles.

http://i.imgur.com/R25h7.png

http://i.imgur.com/9rZUP.png

http://i.imgur.com/JyiKe.png

http://i.imgur.com/R2xlL.png

Then there's the advantage of a 360 degree vision, and even though there's a blind spot it's definitely an advantage over regular sight.

http://i.imgur.com/E705c.png

http://i.imgur.com/7eYDQ.png

http://i.imgur.com/m5qlb.png

Then there's farsightedness, while not that useful in combat it's highly effective for scouting.

http://i.imgur.com/WbWhR.png

Finally, and most impressively is the ability to see through any genjutsu. Even the Shisui's Kotoamatsukami was overcome by Ao's eye. Granted, it was Danzō who used the ability, but Ao's eye didn't originally belong to him either.

http://i.imgur.com/l0uFo.png

Once again I have to go to bed, in the next post I'll focus on the Sharingan and it's advantages (excluding the Mangekyo for obvious reasons).

AsbestosFlaygon
Izanagi and Izanami.

/thread

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Astner
Once again I have to go to bed, in the next post I'll focus on the Sharingan and it's advantages (excluding the Mangekyo for obvious reasons). no need to post all of that, we all know the story

the only issue the sharingan has is that you need to meet the requirements to achieve mangekyo, and someone else with awakened sharingan and steal their eyes (if possible) to truly get everything it can offer. not sure how this is factored into this discussion, but that is a valid point.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Astner

Finally, and most impressively is the ability to see through any genjutsu. Even the Shisui's Kotoamatsukami was overcome by Ao's eye. Granted, it was Danzō who used the ability, but Ao's eye didn't originally belong to him either.

http://i.imgur.com/l0uFo.png

It didn't overcome Kotoamatsukami. It let Ao see that the 4th Mizukage was under a genjutsu.

Q99
Of course, they can still wear a cool eyepatch, even a non-removable one, at no disadvantage if they wish.

deathcon27
now i know alot of people here are talking bout eternal mangekyo sharingan and rinnegan but im talkin about the basic sharingan vs basic byakugan becuz every1 knows byakugan cant even compare to rinnegan i personally say sharingan becuz byakugan has a blind spot so without 8 trigrams it wont do much good they both might as well cancel each other out in the ability of tracking there enemies movements but sharingan also provides the ability to see whether something is ninjutsu or genjutsu while byakugan without gentle fist leaves you with good vision same for sharingan without mastery of either they cancel each other p.s. the rinnegan actually grants access to all 7 paths look it up

JackSThor
Byakugan wins, Izanagi and other speacial sharingan type jutsu are useless against the byakugan. Since the sharingan needs to be able to see opponent to be usefull, byakugan can use far away out of the range of any sharingan technique. Then find the best opening to approach the user and attack with distance GF.

Think about it, engage sharigan run and keep your distance just enough so that sharigan can't target you, then use gureilla warfare tactics to wear sharigan down (distance type GF) maybe till they bleed out of their eye or is blind, and the best part is that you can still see the sharigan user even with ur back turned and running around, perfect for guirllia tactics. While you can see everything that your opponent does while he can't see u.

Sure Sharingan packs more of a punch, but the power is nothing if it can't hit.

mskrepnik
Originally posted by Tzeentch._
Hmmm. The ability to see objects in every direction versus the ability to alter-reality, send people to other dimensions, summon nigh-invincible shields that can also attack, summon black fire that can eat through anything, and trap enemies in horrific optical illusions that are nearly impossible to escape from.

Tough choice.

Well, sharingan seems beter after you fully activate it.
To activate it, you need to kill your family or your best friend.
Hyuga gets its byakugan when they are born.
See the diff.??

Q99
Yea, there is the matter that despair is a major trigger point for the sharingan.

socool8520
Originally posted by mskrepnik
Well, sharingan seems beter after you fully activate it.
To activate it, you need to kill your family or your best friend.
Hyuga gets its byakugan when they are born.
See the diff.??

Doesn't seem to be that much of an issue when most of he Uchiha we have seen are batshit crazy anyways.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.