Ultimate Spider-man Animated

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Estacado
So anyone watching this?
You checked an episode with Thor in it and it's pretty good the jokes had rofl.

Here you can guys can find the episodes:
http://www.watchcartoononline.com/ultimate-spider-man-episode-1-great-power

DARTH POWER
Are you frigging kidding me?!

Estacado
Why?

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by Estacado
Why? Its basically panned because of the style involved. Although the jokes themselves can be funny it takes too much influence from family guy, and has loebs writing style all over it (the constant crossovers) . I thinks its actually one of the few shows where there are petitions for it to be cancelled. People are also quite pissed that they cancelled Spectacular Spiderman and are ending Avengers EMH to make this and an avengers show in the same style. You not gonna find too much love for this show.

Estacado
Originally posted by HueyFreeman
Its basically panned because of the style involved. Although the jokes themselves can be funny it takes too much influence from family guy, and has loebs writing style all over it (the constant crossovers) . I thinks its actually one of the few shows where there are petitions for it to be cancelled. People are also quite pissed that they cancelled Spectacular Spiderman and are ending Avengers EMH to make this and an avengers show in the same style. You not gonna find too much love for this show.
I just read it in the Avengers thread it's a shame cause it's not comparable to Avengers cartoon the jokes are pretty good but the show it self didn't show anything to say it's better than any of the previous cartoons.

HueyFreeman
Originally posted by Estacado
I just read it in the Avengers thread it's a shame cause it's not comparable to Avengers cartoon the jokes are pretty good but the show it self didn't show anything to say it's better than any of the previous cartoons. I agree. The extra stigma of hatred comes from those shows being cancelled.

SamZED
Not exactly a fan of this show. But I HAD to watch the Wolverine episode. And I loved it but mainly because I love it when those two team up. Plot is from an old Ultimate Spider-man issue where they switch bodies. And while I enjoy animated team ups the show itself isnt getting better. Only makes me want to see the New Avengers episode on AEMH even more.

JakeTheBank
Holy shit:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/06/19/the-boy-who-hated-ultimate-spider-man/

DARTH POWER
Wait.. Is it not official about Avenger's EMH being cancelled??

I understand Nabil's frustration over Ultimate Spidey. I think what really frustrated us is the fact that this show came right after the deceased Spectacular Spidey.

DARTH POWER
Ok have a confession to make. I watched the episode with Wolverine and I liked it.

Stall_19
Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Ok have a confession to make. I watched the episode with Wolverine and I liked it.

Yeah..same here. Might be that it was something actually adapted from the comics, might be because it didn't feature Iron Fist & Co as much but I thought that episode was decent. Still not enough for me to quit hating the show.

SamZED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dugz4Vg6jn0&feature=g-all-u

Kill me now.

basilisk
Juggs got stopped by running into a giant foot. Then got owned.

I-Drop
Show sucks ass

vansonbee
They really ruin Spider Man in this show. Giving him a bike and a spider web cannon?

Heard rumors that its gonna get cancel around 2nd season. Is this true?

KingD19
Originally posted by basilisk
Juggs got stopped by running into a giant foot. Then got owned.

Because apparently his powers are centered around his helmet. So without it, he's a normal guy.

basilisk
Originally posted by KingD19
Because apparently his powers are centered around his helmet. So without it, he's a normal guy. Yeah, he lost his powers when he was swallowed and crapped out without the armor. But even before with his powers on his charge got stopped dead by running into the android's foot. Another dumb episode anyway. The Juggernaut bit reminded me of that Wolv & The X-Men episode where likewise some giant monster showed up and beat up Juggernaut.

SamZED
Well.. the last episode didn't suck. And yeah, I still keep watching the show, im an optimist.

tkitna
I've never watched an episode of it because i've read how bad it is. I guess I better catch a few on youtube to make my own opinion.

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by tkitna
I've never watched an episode of it because i've read how bad it is. I guess I better catch a few on youtube to make my own opinion.

Just watch the first few minutes and you'll get what all the complaining is about.

The worst part is they cancelled Spectacular Spider man and started this s***!

Newjak
Finally got around to watching this show and I found it pretty enjoyable. To each their own though.

Firefly218
I occasionally watch this show on Netflix and it's pretty good.

DARTH POWER
NO! They've been brainwashed into believing they actually want to watch this!

In all seriousness, catching the odd episode I can see it has improved, but it's still way too kiddish for my taste. And has nothing on all previous Spider-Man animations.

Newjak
NO! They've been brainwashed into believing they actually want to watch this!

In all seriousness, catching the odd episode I can see it has improved, but it's still way too kiddish for my taste. And has nothing on all previous Spider-Man animations. I never watched teh Spectacular one but I recently rewatched the old 90s Cartoon and I don't think it holds up well.

JayDaDon
Spectacular was amazing. With the nostalgia glasses removed, I'd say it was the best Spider-man show.

DARTH POWER
Spectacular was my favorite too. But I also loved the 90's one. I remember how excited I was for that Spiderman/X-Men crossover. Because they were both great cartoons at the time.

That was the only thing missing in Spectacular- The superhero crossovers.

But even the crossovers in Ultimate are Meh. Just hate how damn kiddish it is. And really hate those "freeze frame for a laugh" moments.

KCJ506
Spectacular is probably the Spider-man show that paid tribute most to the original comics. As every character that appeared that had a name was from the comics. Not a single one was made up for the show. It even used obscure characters like Sha Shan Nguyen.

It also had great characterization(just about every character was developed enough that Peter didn't even have to be around for there to be story), great story arcs, phenomenal fight scenes and the villains are handled great, like the creators actually gave a damn. Especially with how Norman Osborn and Doc Ock were handled. Helps that it's producer was Greg Weisman.

Firefly218
Disney wanted the show to continue. It was Sony that canceled this show. Disney wanted to continue the show under their banner with the same animation style. Sony threw a fit and was going to sue Disney since this the animation style and property was Under Sony not Marvel or Disney. So it was Sony's fault and if you read in interviews Greg Wiseman said Sony is to blame not Disney.

Femi32
I never saw Spectacular Spider-man. sad

KCJ506
Originally posted by Firefly218
Disney wanted the show to continue. It was Sony that canceled this show. Disney wanted to continue the show under their banner with the same animation style. Sony threw a fit and was going to sue Disney since this the animation style and property was Under Sony not Marvel or Disney. So it was Sony's fault and if you read in interviews Greg Wiseman said Sony is to blame not Disney.

That is incorrect. The issue was that even though Marvel/Disney had the animation rights to Spider-man, Sony still owned certain elements of Spectacular, since it was produced by them. So if Marvel/Disney wanted to continue Spectacular, they'd then have to license those elements back. And it's very unlikely they'd pay off a rival studio for a character they own, instead of starting from scratch.

Here's a quote from Weisman pretty much saying the same thing.

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=14223

Firefly218
Marvel wanted to continue the series, but it wasn't logical doing so if Marvel had to pay Sony - a direct competitor.

DARTH POWER
All this goes to show- We always whine about Sony having the rights to Spider-Man instead of Marvel, but clearly we should be careful what we whine about.

It was Sony that gave us the awesome show that was Spectacular Spider-Man. Whilst Marvel has got the rights back now and given us this Ultimate rubbish. Also someone pointed out to me that if Marvel won Spider-Man back, that we would not get all these Avenger movies plus new Spider-Man movies every year. Because there's only so much Marvel studios could produce.

On another note I wonder what "concessions" Marvel gave Sony for the Live-Action Spider-Man movies as part of the deal for regaining the Spider-Man cartoon rights?

Firefly218
Ultimate Spiderman is geared towards a younger audience, and is doing quite successful. Sucks for you if you don't like it.

JayDaDon
I feel like since Disney bought Marvel it means we may never see a shred of maturity in their animated works again.

DARTH POWER
^ Sadly JayDaDon is right. Actually wish they left the rights with Sony. Who cares about animated crossovers when they're as childish as they are now at Marvel.

Firefly218
^ Sadly JayDaDon is right. Actually wish they left the rights with Sony. Who cares about animated crossovers when they're as childish as they are now at Marvel.

Um... Kids would care

BTW, I actually think kids are a bigger market when it comes to Disney animation. As far as I know, kids love this show. Even my little sister watches this on Netflix

KCJ506
The reason Ultimate is so "successful" is because little kids will literally watch anything you put on TV for them. That's not really saying much though. Any show will be a success with that particular age group. On the other hand, shows like Batman TAS, X-men TAS and Justice League/Unlimted were a far bigger success due to being watched by not only that age group but also by older kids, teens, and adults. That is why those shows left such a legacy behind.

I don't hate Ulimate Spider-man, but for people to keep using it being geared towards the younger crowd is really not a good excuse. Just because a work of fiction is aimed at a certain demographic doesn't mean they don't need to put any quality or effort into anything. It doesn't matter who it's aimed at. I mean the Disney and Pixar films have a good number of both kid and adult fans. And Spongebob has even been a hit with it's intended demographic and the older ones.

Originally posted by JayDaDon
I feel like since Disney bought Marvel it means we may never see a shred of maturity in their animated works again.

That's actually more on Jeph Loeb(the current head of Marvel animation). He thinks serialized story telling doesn't work in cartoons.(despite past cartoons having them) He's pretty much saying that all kids these days have ADD. This is one of the reasons why Earth's Mightiest Heroes was replaced with Avengers Assemble.

JayDaDon
If he doesn't think serialized story telling works in cartoons, the only conclusion is he must be deaf and blind.

Firefly218
Originally posted by KCJ506
The reason Ultimate is so "successful" is because little kids will literally watch anything you put on TV for them. That's not really saying much though. Any show will be a success with that particular age group.

Generalization

Just because a work of fiction is aimed at a certain demographic doesn't mean they don't need to put any quality or effort into anything.

There are a lot of people who put a lot of effort into making this show.

Quality is subjective. I don't share your opinion, as don't the millions of people who watch Ultimate Spiderman consistently.

I like the idea of spidey joining SHIELD. There may be a couple odd elements, like spidey breaking the 4th wall, being part of a team, having a motor cycle, killing genuine moments with punny comedy etc.. It doesn't bother me too much.

DARTH POWER
Generalization

There are a lot of people who put a lot of effort into making this show.

Quality is subjective. I don't share your opinion, as don't the millions of people who watch Ultimate Spiderman consistently.

There's nothing subjective about it. No one under the age of 5 enjoys this show. And like KCJ506 said, with popular brand names like Spider-Man, Avengers or Batman, you can easily put them in stupid funny (for kids) low quality format, and that demographic is guaranteed to watch it.

Doesn't change the fact that this is a poor show, and that the one Sony was doing "Spectacular" was a great show.

I like the idea of spidey joining SHIELD. There may be a couple odd elements, like spidey breaking the 4th wall, being part of a team, having a motor cycle, killing genuine moments with punny comedy etc.. It doesn't bother me too much.

Your not capable of criticizing Marvel so your opinion holds little weight.

Firefly218
There's nothing subjective about it.

EVERYTHING is subjective about it. The perceived quality of a show is absolutely dependent on the interpretation of the viewer. You, as a viewer, may find it lacking in quality. I, as an occasional viewer, find that it isn't. Ultimately, the show feels like a light-hearted take on spiderman.

No one under the age of 5 enjoys this show.

Another blatantly wrong generalization. A majority of this show's viewership is comprised of an age group above 5.

And like KCJ506 said, with popular brand names like Spider-Man, Avengers or Batman, you can easily put them in stupid funny (for kids) low quality format, and that demographic is guaranteed to watch it.

There have been many shows targeting the same demographic that have utterly failed. Besides, I don't think Marvel has to worry about catering too much to the older people - considering the show airs on Disney XD.

Doesn't change the fact that this is a poor show, and that the one Sony was doing "Spectacular" was a great show.

I understand your butt hurt that Spectacular SM was cancelled, but there is no need to project that anger at Ultimate SM

Your not capable of criticizing Marvel so your opinion holds little weight.

Once again, I do criticize Marvel's bad decisions and I defend there good ones.
Cancelling Spectacular SM was a good business decision, considering that Disney would have to pay substantial royalties to its direct competitor (Sony) in order to air it.

Also, the new spidey show catering to kids brings in enough dough as it is.

SamZED
Spectacular is probably the Spider-man show that paid tribute most to the original comics. As every character that appeared that had a name was from the comics. Not a single one was made up for the show. It even used obscure characters like Sha Shan Nguyen.

It also had great characterization(just about every character was developed enough that Peter didn't even have to be around for there to be story), great story arcs, phenomenal fight scenes and the villains are handled great, like the creators actually gave a damn. Especially with how Norman Osborn and Doc Ock were handled. Helps that it's producer was Greg Weisman. Easily the best Spider-man cartoon ever made. I've honestly tried to give USM a chance but it's unwatchable in comparisson.

JayDaDon
Agreed. Shows like Spider-man demand serialized stories with depth, not random episode to episode spongebob BS.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by SamZED
Easily the best Spider-man cartoon ever made. I've honestly tried to give USM a chance but it's unwatchable in comparisson.

http://i58.tinypic.com/2reiruo.jpg

IceBreaker2000
I dont watch shit shows

DARTH POWER
Originally posted by IceBreaker2000
I dont watch shit shows

thumb up

Firefly218
thumb up

It's funny how you run away when I actually respond to your bullshit

DARTH POWER
It's funny how you run away when I actually respond to your bullshit

You moron, I've not ran anywhere. It's just anyone defending Ultimate Spider-Man to the extent you are just not even worth responding to. But fine I will now:

EVERYTHING is subjective about it. The perceived quality of a show is absolutely dependent on the interpretation of the viewer. You, as a viewer, may find it lacking in quality. I, as an occasional viewer, find that it isn't. Ultimately, the show feels like a light-hearted take on spiderman.

Ok, tell me, where is the quality in this show? Is the stupid humor supposed to impress me?

Who actually enjoys this show? You yourself admits to being an "occasional viewer." Why don't you watch every episode if it's so good. There's nothing good about this show. Not the animation quality, not the story telling, not the characterisation, NOTHING!

All the previous Spider-Man cartoon's were always high quality in all those categories. So yes Marvel really f***ed this one up.

Another blatantly wrong generalization. A majority of this show's viewership is comprised of an age group above 5.

So what is it then? 6-7 year olds?

No one above the age of 10 is going to be interested in this. They will be more into things like Transformers. Shows with great animation, action and storytelling.

There have been many shows targeting the same demographic that have utterly failed.

Spider-Man's a name that tends to attract kids in case you hadn't noticed.

Besides, I don't think Marvel has to worry about catering too much to the older people - considering the show airs on Disney XD.

Yeah if they don't want this show to be remembered then yeah they're doing the right thing making it as stupid as it is.

And btw Star Wars The Clone Wars aired on cartoon network, and the new Star Wars:Rebels will air on Disney XD, despite those both being shows that attract many adults, and brings in many more viewers to the channel.

I understand your butt hurt that Spectacular SM was cancelled, but there is no need to project that anger at Ultimate SM

You expect me to be happy that they replaced a great show with a shitty one?

Once again, I do criticize Marvel's bad decisions and I defend there good ones.
Cancelling Spectacular SM was a good business decision, considering that Disney would have to pay substantial royalties to its direct competitor (Sony) in order to air it.

If you criticize Marvel in comments, I've yet to see it.

They didn't have the rights to Spectacular. I get that. That doesn't mean they should turn around such a successful show and go in a really stupid direction with a reboot.

Marvel don't have the Movie rights to Spider-Man, but they could have used the animation rights to give us all a taste of how great a Marvel Spider-Man is. Instead they give us this crap.

Also, the new spidey show catering to kids brings in enough dough as it is.

So did Spider-Man 3. Spider-Man brings in dough no matter what. That's no excuse to stop even trying to give us great stories. Thank goodness Sony is still branding Spider-Man with great movies.

Femi32
This show only lasted a few episodes with me. It's utterly terrible, just like Hulk and the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. Avengers Assemble is barely better and it's still mediocre.

We're in the dark ages when you can't convince networks to have intelligent, deep, animated comic book shows in the midst of the Golden Age of live action comic book movies.

Newjak
Guys while we may all have different opinions on the show I would like to ask you to please stay civil with each other. Thank you.

DARTH POWER
^ Ok, will do.

Newjak
^ Ok, will do. Thank you I appreciate it! big grin

Firefly218

Ok, tell me, where is the quality in this show? Is the stupid humor supposed to impress me?

In my opinion there's great voice acting, good animation, some good humor, unique stories and good morals for kids.

Who actually enjoys this show? You yourself admits to being an "occasional viewer." Why don't you watch every episode if it's so good. There's nothing good about this show. Not the animation quality, not the story telling, not the characterisation, NOTHING!

My viewing habits are irrelevant. However, since you asked politely - I don't watch it as much as you because I'm usually busy. I also don't watch Dexter as frequently as I used to because, once again, I'm busy. And Dexter is an amazing show. My viewing habits have absolutely NOTHING to do with the quality of a show.

All the previous Spider-Man cartoon's were always high quality in all those categories. So yes Marvel really f***ed this one up.

Quality is subjective. Many kids absolutely love this show, hence the 3rd season renewal.

So what is it then? 6-7 year olds?

No one above the age of 10 is going to be interested in this. They will be more into things like Transformers. Shows with great animation, action and storytelling.

According to Marvel.com, Ultimate Spiderman is Disney XDs #1 show, with an age range from 2 - 14 years.

http://marvel.com/news/tv/2012/6/11/18858/ultimate_spider-man_swings_to_a_second_season_on_marvel_universe

Just because the show is appealing to kids and not adults doesn't mean that it lacks quality. Ultimate Spiderman is a different kind of show, and if you don't like it then don't watch it.

Spider-Man's a name that tends to attract kids in case you hadn't noticed.

In order to sustain consistent viewership a show has to have more than just a popular brand. Ultimate Spiderman has sustained itself for 3 seasons now. The FRIENDS spinoff Joey only lasted for half a season, DESPITE its incredibly popular brand. The name 'spiderman' may initially attract kids, but it has to continue to attract kids, and the only way to do that is to actually be good.

And btw Star Wars The Clone Wars aired on cartoon network, and the new Star Wars:Rebels will air on Disney XD, despite those both being shows that attract many adults, and brings in many more viewers to the channel.

On Disney channel, kids are a goldmine compared to adults. Also, by targeting kids, Marvel is building brand loyalty for the next generation.

You expect me to be happy that they replaced a great show with a shitty one?

Is that butthurt talking?

If you criticize Marvel in comments, I've yet to see it.

They didn't have the rights to Spectacular. I get that. That doesn't mean they should turn around such a successful show and go in a really stupid direction with a reboot.

Marvel don't have the Movie rights to Spider-Man, but they could have used the animation rights to give us all a taste of how great a Marvel Spider-Man is. Instead they give us this crap.

The show is going in a good direction. Ratings are consistent and stable, kids love it, Marvel's making lots of money and securing brand loyalty.

So did Spider-Man 3. Spider-Man brings in dough no matter what. That's no excuse to stop even trying to give us great stories. Thank goodness Sony is still branding Spider-Man with great movies.

Yes but Ultimate Spiderman is consistently doing really well; which means people enjoy it. Spiderman 3 got rich off its predecessors - Ultimate Spiderman is at a point where its bringing in an audience unfamiliar with previous spidey shows.

Firefly218
Originally posted by Newjak
Guys while we may all have different opinions on the show I would like to ask you to please stay civil with each other. Thank you.

yessir starwars

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.