A new age of comic books?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Endless Mike
We all know about the Golden Age from the late 30s to the mid 50s, the Silver age that lasted until the 70s, the Bronze Age that lasted until the mid 80s, but everything after that has just been referred to as the "modern age" (or the "dark age" for a while in the 90s).

Do you think, with such events as the DC reboot, we are entering a new "age"? Or did the new age already start several years ago?

And if we are, what do we call it?

Galan007
I think the sole purpose of DC's "New 52", and Marvel's "NOW" was to usher in a new age of comics.

Endless Mike
Do you think they succeeded or not?

Newjak
Originally posted by Endless Mike
Do you think they succeeded or not? They may have a little but I would actually dub this the multi-media age cause TV and movies have done more to continue the comic book industry than anything else they've done imo.

What do you guys think?

Galan007
Do you think they succeeded or not? Yes.

the ninjak
I can only speak for Marvel's Marvel Now books representing a new age.

And personally both the X-men and Avengers titles are upholding their ambitions. The X-men titles....especially Wolverine and the X-men is holding on to the ideals of the original X-men series whilst pushing the saga ahead into the modern era.

Avengers on the other hand is separating their holy trinity into separate ideas.-

-Thor: Is keeping his mythological storytelling within the cosmic awareness of the universe.
-Cap: Is keeping his protection of Earth in check. As well as his future realized current storyline where he is struggling to raise a child in the future.
-Stark: Has recently contained the Extremis virus and is now ready to venture forth into space. Which is a step that I always perceived Tony flying into the next step of his evolution.

Personally I'm quite pleased with Marvel Now.

Golgo13
I still think it's about the same.

-Pr-
While the Avengers are doing well in this new "post Bendis" age, X-Men are doing pretty bad, at least where Bendis is concerned. If this is a new age, I can't think of a word harsh enough to describe it.

DC's new age has been somewhat successful for the most part. The difficult thing is going to be keeping the momentum they'd built up.

Q99
We all know about the Golden Age from the late 30s to the mid 50s, the Silver age that lasted until the 70s, the Bronze Age that lasted until the mid 80s, but everything after that has just been referred to as the "modern age" (or the "dark age" for a while in the 90s).

Do you think, with such events as the DC reboot, we are entering a new "age"? Or did the new age already start several years ago?

And if we are, what do we call it?

We've kinda had a few short-lived mini ages.

The 90s is often considered a 'dark age' of comics, but the late 90s/early 00s is very much a time of reconstruction, taking stuff from past eras and updating it. Then the late 00s has shifted again, with a return to a lot of the grittier/darker 90s ton, and often the removal of the more experimental 90s/00s stuff in preference to darker versions of the silver age versions.

Also, for quite awhile what's happened in Marvel and DC has closely paralleled each other, but in the last few years, they've had a divergence in philosophy. Marvel has had a steady stream of events in that tie into each other, using story/continuity and planning. DC, on the other hand, has obviously gone for more the reboot route, restarting the universe from scratch, and changes in story and direction can happen fairly suddenly, very different than the visible progression at Marvel and it's emphasis on both buildup and dealing with fallout.

Originally posted by -Pr-
While the Avengers are doing well in this new "post Bendis" age, X-Men are doing pretty bad, at least where Bendis is concerned. If this is a new age, I can't think of a word harsh enough to describe it.

DC's new age has been somewhat successful for the most part. The difficult thing is going to be keeping the momentum they'd built up.

Sales wise, that remains to be seen.

DC's reboot... only got a small boost compared to pre.

Fan reception wise, I see more positive buzz about Marvel Now than 52, but it's not really too fair to compare a year and a half vs 2 months.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by -Pr-
While the Avengers are doing well in this new "post Bendis" age, X-Men are doing pretty bad, at least where Bendis is concerned.

Originally posted by -K-M-
Bendis, uh... finds a way.

http://skorinc.us/brodyharper.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Ian_Malcolm_jurassic_park.jpg

g_troll

Golgo13
Originally posted by Q99

The 90s is often considered a 'dark age' of comics, but the late 90s/early 00s is very much a time of reconstruction, taking stuff from past eras and updating it. Then the late 00s has shifted again, with a return to a lot of the grittier/darker 90s ton, and often the removal of the more experimental 90s/00s stuff in preference to darker versions of the silver age versions.

Also, for quite awhile what's happened in Marvel and DC has closely paralleled each other, but in the last few years, they've had a divergence in philosophy. Marvel has had a steady stream of events in that tie into each other, using story/continuity and planning. DC, on the other hand, has obviously gone for more the reboot route, restarting the universe from scratch, and changes in story and direction can happen fairly suddenly, very different than the visible progression at Marvel and it's emphasis on both buildup and dealing with fallout.

Fan reception wise, I see more positive buzz about Marvel Now than 52, but it's not really too fair to compare a year and a half vs 2 months.

Comparing the numbers from previous years, DC had a considerable boost. Same with Marvel, seeing as they were going down.

Q99
Originally posted by Golgo13
Comparing the numbers from previous years, DC had a considerable boost. Same with Marvel, seeing as they were going down.

The line-wide events did help both of them. It's definite short-term good moves, and good moves for the industry, long term it remains to be seen. DC's still got major weaknesses outside their main books, they can boost sales of the major ones pretty well, but they have trouble promoting the minor and mid tier ones.

I like Marvel's move a lot better because it's a much more repeatable move, and seems a better way to gain new people while holding on to more of the old, so I suspect long term it'll pan out better.

Golgo13
Someone already posted the sales compared to the first issues of the DCnU and so far, DC is holding onto the sales a bit better. Uncanny Avengers for example is already pushed out of the top 10.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Q99

I wasn't talking so much sales wise, but yeah.

Q99
Someone already posted the sales compared to the first issues of the DCnU and so far, DC is holding onto the sales a bit better. Uncanny Avengers for example is already pushed out of the top 10.

We have precisely two months of sales and Marvel Now started higher, and has major books that have not yet started, it is a *bit* soon to draw conclusions smile

Golgo13
I'm not drawing conclusions, but looking at the numbers of drop offs. The #1 issues were inflated becuase of alternate covers.

Q99
I'm not drawing conclusions, but looking at the numbers of drop offs. The #1 issues were inflated becuase of alternate covers.

Yea, there was some inflation there. Still, the inflation effect should go away quickly.

Cogito
Originally posted by Galan007
I think the sole purpose of DC's "New 52", and Marvel's "NOW" was to usher in a new age of comics.

Interestingly, it's always been considered DC that has ushered in the new ages.

Now, if in ten or twenty years when this new age has a fancy name or whatever, it's sure as shit not going to be defined by "NOW".

The interesting debate will be whether it was started by the New 52 or the sudden prominence of super hero movies.

Q99
Originally posted by Cogito
Interestingly, it's always been considered DC that has ushered in the new ages.

Mind you, while they often get a starting point*, it's generally just because their points are somewhat sooner, and Marvel's are often more influential**.

*The first appearance of Barry Allen

** The creation of the Fantastic Four , Spider-man , and the Hulk really revolutionized comics.

And/or in some cases, the changes were happening at the same time in both.

DC lead the Golden Age, Marvel the Silver, both jumped into the Bronze and Modern at around the same time as there was more back-and-forth with the writers.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Q99
Mind you, while they often get a starting point*, it's generally just because their points are somewhat sooner, and Marvel's are often more influential**.

** The creation of the Fantastic Four , Spider-man , and the Hulk really revolutionized comics.

DC lead the Golden Age, Marvel the Silver, both jumped into the Bronze and Modern at around the same time as there was more back-and-forth with the writers.

I would say more mainstream. Fantastic Four was based a little bit off of Challengers of the Unknown. The Hulk isn't a new concept, either. Some of the things Marvel made homage to like Imperial Guard, Dr. Strange, X-Men, FF, etc... Had DC come first. Then Marvel made it into something bigger (like X-Men or FF).

Cogito
Originally posted by Q99

No question Marvel ran with the Silver Age, and even the Bronze Age, but my point was just that DC was the trigger to both.

Actually here, I'd argue that Marvel's film success with mainstream audiences pushed DC into the new 52, which pushed Marvel to NOW. So while from the comic standpoint it was DC that really started this new age, it was Marvel that pushed them into it.

Q99
Challengers of the Unknown, in the adventuring group bit, yes, but not so much the interpersonal conflict among superheroes part.

And among Superheroes? The Hulk made a huge splash. Misunderstood monster protagonist was not a thing in the comic medium before him.

Actually here, I'd argue that Marvel's film success with mainstream audiences pushed DC into the new 52, which pushed Marvel to NOW. So while from the comic standpoint it was DC that really started this new age, it was Marvel that pushed them into it.

Mm, the movies probably didn't push anything. Successful movies don't affect comic sales significantly (they sell some tie-ins but that's about it), and DC's had the Dark Knight movies too.

Galan007
The interesting debate will be whether it was started by the New 52 or the sudden prominence of super hero movies. I believe that the slew of comic-based movies is what got the ball rolling for this new age. The movies peaked and/or renewed the interest of comic books for millions of people-- naturally, DC saw this as an opportunity to remake their company from the ground up, in order to attract all of these new-found readers. Once Marvel saw what a success that move was for DC, they did the same basic thing with their company.

I do miss the old universes, though. sad

Golgo13
Originally posted by Q99
Challengers of the Unknown, in the adventuring group bit, yes, but not so much the interpersonal conflict among superheroes part.

And among Superheroes? The Hulk made a huge splash. Misunderstood monster protagonist was not a thing in the comic medium before him.

Mm, the movies probably didn't push anything. Successful movies don't affect comic sales significantly (they sell some tie-ins but that's about it), and DC's had the Dark Knight movies too.

I know, which is why I said "a little bit".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.