Marvel vs. DC

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SebastianisI
Which is the superior comic book company (imprints included)?

Golgo13
Vertigo solos. Or at least they did. Actually both Wildstorm and Vertigo once lead in the innovation of comics.

-Pr-
Both have too many pluses and minuses to really be superior to one another.

They're about the same imo.

curryman
Vertigo.

Endless Mike
Originally posted by -Pr-
Both have too many pluses and minuses to really be superior to one another.

They're about the same imo.

This. You should add a "tie/can't decide" option

Q99
They go back and forth. With all DC's behind-the-scenes malarky and creators coming and going and complaining about meddling, I'd say Marvel's currently ahead.

Turn back the clock awhile and Marvel was bad enough that they inspired a mass exodus that formed Image.

the ninjak
I think the attitude amongst readers that one has to be "better" than the other is similar to tribe mentality.

Both have great characters and stories.

Personally I grew up on Marvel as a kid whilst dabbled in DC. In the end I appreciate both. Vertigo though pushed the boundaries in mature reading.

And personally I have gotten more out of certain Pen and Paper universes than from comic ones.

I think Western comics need to look to the way the Japanese and Koreans do their Manga. The way they create larger volumes covering more plot and character development.

I grew up reading old 60's reprints of Marvel comics that had 3 comics per issue and lots of alternate content contained within based on the issues they held.

Golgo13
Currently, Image is the better company, leading in quality titles. IMHO.

SebastianisI
So if I take my vote out of the equation it seems to be a tie. Interesting.

I'm kinda new to comic books, I've actually been reading Marvel for a while now via torrenting and such but I recently decided to start purchasing them mainly because I felt I was missing out by not having the experience of reading the comics in physical form, but also because I think I've been taking them for granted and will value them more when I only have limited funds to purchase them.

So anyway I now buy all the comics I read, and decided to switch over completely to DC as I was getting bored of Marvel (subscribing to Action Comics, Detective Comics, Stormwatch, the entire DC Dark line, and Fables/Fairest) plus I prefer the idea of the NEW 52 reboot to Marvel NOW! and from what little I've read so far DC just feels a little more mature and of higher quality.

Also, I think while Marvel's sense of continuing storyline can be good, with their big story events, big crossovers, major switchups to the universe, and then exploring the aftermath of those things, I think I prefer DC's milder take on it, where they do seem to have those things, just nowhere near the extent that Marvel do.

Also this is just my opinion but DC seems to have more of a classical, elegant feel to it, whereas Marvel, I dont know, just seems a bit tacky in comparison... I dont know, as I said I havent got too much experience with the comics so maybe im being influenced by the movies or something.

Q99
Originally posted by Golgo13
Currently, Image is the better company, leading in quality titles. IMHO.

It is a great place for creator-owned stuff.

Mindship
Silver-age Marvel is the gold standard by which all comics should be measured.

Since then, Marvel's slipped and DC's gotten better. Now, they both have their moments.

Q99
Originally posted by Mindship
Silver-age Marvel is the gold standard by which all comics should be measured.

Personally I prefer Bronze Age. That's when you get more of the continuing story arcs and character development.

Stuff like the Claremont X-men, Wolfmen/Perez Titans, and GreenLantern-GreenArrow still hold up *really* well.

GreenLantern
It has to be DC, I'm a Lantern fanboy! But I only say this because I don't read Marvel ...

Started with Green Lantern: Rebirth and it took off from there!

I did read Marvel for a time, starting with Spider-Man, going through changes and leading up to Civil War, then through to the start of Secret Invasion, but a mix of lack of money and most of SI's massive reveals going over my head (with having no knowledge of most characters) I ended up packing it in.

Little snippets of things I've read about Marvel being better to work for, and DC limiting the control of writers or whatever, whether true, false or dated, is irrelevant, as I've not worked for either!

Astor Ebligis
Just comparing All-New Marvel NOW! to The New 52, DC >>>>>>>>>>> Marvel. DC for the most part is simply more mature, has better characters, and has the superior stories. The only edge Marvel has imo is the X-family line.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Astor Ebligis
DC for the most part is simply more mature,

Like DC doesn't have its moments of being silly roll eyes (sarcastic)

Bentley
Originally posted by Kazenji
Like DC doesn't have its moments of being silly roll eyes (sarcastic)

It doesn't. Stop hating ahah

Kazenji
shifty....suuuuuuure

As for this thread they're both good but not without their pro's & cons.

Bentley
The only thing laughable about DC is their attempt to sell Wonder Woman and Superman as a couple. Other than that they are just the better company g_grin

Existere
The only thing laughable about Marvel is their attempt to sell Kang the Conqueror as a credible threat.

Amirite?

Bentley
Originally posted by Existere
The only thing laughable about Marvel is their attempt to sell Kang the Conqueror as a credible threat.

Amirite?

You believe Kang is incredible, I understand your admiration.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Existere

Amirite?
They haven't even fully convinced Bentley yet.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.