KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » Marvel vs. DC

RE: opening post.
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
DC 7 35.00%
Marvel 13 65.00%
Total: 20 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Marvel vs. DC
Started by: SebastianisI

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
SebastianisI
Restricted

Account Restricted

Marvel vs. DC

Which is the superior comic book company (imprints included)?

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 10:31 AM
SebastianisI is currently offline Click here to Send SebastianisI a Private Message Find more posts by SebastianisI Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Vertigo solos. Or at least they did. Actually both Wildstorm and Vertigo once lead in the innovation of comics.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 10:34 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

Both have too many pluses and minuses to really be superior to one another.

They're about the same imo.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 10:40 AM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
curryman

Vertigo.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 11:26 AM
curryman is currently offline Click here to Send curryman a Private Message Find more posts by curryman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Endless Mike
Sqirrel Girl fanboy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by -Pr-
Both have too many pluses and minuses to really be superior to one another.

They're about the same imo.

This. You should add a "tie/can't decide" option

Sig by Starlock

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 11:48 AM
Endless Mike is currently offline Click here to Send Endless Mike a Private Message Find more posts by Endless Mike Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

They go back and forth. With all DC's behind-the-scenes malarky and creators coming and going and complaining about meddling, I'd say Marvel's currently ahead.

Turn back the clock awhile and Marvel was bad enough that they inspired a mass exodus that formed Image.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 04:32 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
the ninjak
FRINGE Division

I think the attitude amongst readers that one has to be "better" than the other is similar to tribe mentality.

Both have great characters and stories.

Personally I grew up on Marvel as a kid whilst dabbled in DC. In the end I appreciate both. Vertigo though pushed the boundaries in mature reading.

And personally I have gotten more out of certain Pen and Paper universes than from comic ones.

I think Western comics need to look to the way the Japanese and Koreans do their Manga. The way they create larger volumes covering more plot and character development.

I grew up reading old 60's reprints of Marvel comics that had 3 comics per issue and lots of alternate content contained within based on the issues they held.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 05:05 PM
the ninjak is currently offline Click here to Send the ninjak a Private Message Find more posts by the ninjak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Currently, Image is the better company, leading in quality titles. IMHO.

Old Post Feb 3rd, 2013 08:27 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SebastianisI
Restricted

Account Restricted

So if I take my vote out of the equation it seems to be a tie. Interesting.

I'm kinda new to comic books, I've actually been reading Marvel for a while now via torrenting and such but I recently decided to start purchasing them mainly because I felt I was missing out by not having the experience of reading the comics in physical form, but also because I think I've been taking them for granted and will value them more when I only have limited funds to purchase them.

So anyway I now buy all the comics I read, and decided to switch over completely to DC as I was getting bored of Marvel (subscribing to Action Comics, Detective Comics, Stormwatch, the entire DC Dark line, and Fables/Fairest) plus I prefer the idea of the NEW 52 reboot to Marvel NOW! and from what little I've read so far DC just feels a little more mature and of higher quality.

Also, I think while Marvel's sense of continuing storyline can be good, with their big story events, big crossovers, major switchups to the universe, and then exploring the aftermath of those things, I think I prefer DC's milder take on it, where they do seem to have those things, just nowhere near the extent that Marvel do.

Also this is just my opinion but DC seems to have more of a classical, elegant feel to it, whereas Marvel, I dont know, just seems a bit tacky in comparison... I dont know, as I said I havent got too much experience with the comics so maybe im being influenced by the movies or something.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2013 06:36 AM
SebastianisI is currently offline Click here to Send SebastianisI a Private Message Find more posts by SebastianisI Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Golgo13
Currently, Image is the better company, leading in quality titles. IMHO.

It is a great place for creator-owned stuff.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2013 12:33 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Silver-age Marvel is the gold standard by which all comics should be measured.

Since then, Marvel's slipped and DC's gotten better. Now, they both have their moments.

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2013 01:32 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Originally posted by Mindship
Silver-age Marvel is the gold standard by which all comics should be measured.

Personally I prefer Bronze Age. That's when you get more of the continuing story arcs and character development.

Stuff like the Claremont X-men, Wolfmen/Perez Titans, and GreenLantern-GreenArrow still hold up *really* well.

Old Post Feb 4th, 2013 01:55 PM
GreenLantern

It has to be DC, I'm a Lantern fanboy! But I only say this because I don't read Marvel ...

Started with Green Lantern: Rebirth and it took off from there!

I did read Marvel for a time, starting with Spider-Man, going through changes and leading up to Civil War, then through to the start of Secret Invasion, but a mix of lack of money and most of SI's massive reveals going over my head (with having no knowledge of most characters) I ended up packing it in.

Little snippets of things I've read about Marvel being better to work for, and DC limiting the control of writers or whatever, whether true, false or dated, is irrelevant, as I've not worked for either!

Old Post Feb 17th, 2013 01:14 PM
GreenLantern is currently offline Click here to Send GreenLantern a Private Message Find more posts by GreenLantern Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Astor Ebligis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Just comparing All-New Marvel NOW! to The New 52, DC >>>>>>>>>>> Marvel. DC for the most part is simply more mature, has better characters, and has the superior stories. The only edge Marvel has imo is the X-family line.

1. quanchi112
2-9. Various posters
10. Nai

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 12:04 PM
Astor Ebligis is currently offline Click here to Send Astor Ebligis a Private Message Find more posts by Astor Ebligis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Originally posted by Astor Ebligis
DC for the most part is simply more mature,

Like DC doesn't have its moments of being silly roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 01:29 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Kazenji
Like DC doesn't have its moments of being silly roll eyes (sarcastic)

It doesn't. Stop hating

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 02:11 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

shifty....suuuuuuure

As for this thread they're both good but not without their pro's & cons.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 02:18 PM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

The only thing laughable about DC is their attempt to sell Wonder Woman and Superman as a couple. Other than that they are just the better company

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 03:07 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smurph
------

The only thing laughable about Marvel is their attempt to sell Kang the Conqueror as a credible threat.

Amirite?

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 03:10 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Originally posted by Existere
The only thing laughable about Marvel is their attempt to sell Kang the Conqueror as a credible threat.

Amirite?

You believe Kang is incredible, I understand your admiration.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2014 03:23 PM