Strongest Scifi power/race/empire the Goa'uld from Stargate can defeat

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
It seems most people believe that forces like the Borg and the Galactic Empire would crush the Goa'uld Empire, so I'm asking what people think the strongest empire or race or other kind of scifi organization is that the Goa'uld could defeat.

Here are the stipulations: must be from a science fiction Universe, must be a race, empire, or organization, no individuals or small groups, and we are using the Goa'uld Empire circa SG-1 season six, and assuming that in this struggle they don't (by some miracle) fall to infighting, and are united under a single leader, like Sokar, Anubis, Ba'al, or Apophis.

ScreamPaste
I feel dumb for not knowing anything about the Goa'uld. Never watched the Stargate tv series. mmm

Omega Vision
Originally posted by ScreamPaste
I feel dumb for not knowing anything about the Goa'uld. Never watched the Stargate tv series. mmm
Well, it's a pretty large series with ten seasons, though for the purposes of the Goa'uld only the first 8 seasons really matter (and by the eighth season the old school Goa'uld were weakening and new threats were starting to appear).

The basics are that they are parasitic snakes who use humanoid hosts (though I seem to recall a Goa'uld taking control of a carnivorous insect that had been eating his host as part of a torture ritual) and pose as Gods of human cultures (think the Ancient Astronaut theory). By reverse engineering technology of the aliens who built the Stargates and by discovering Earth and seeding the galaxy with human slaves they managed to forge an empire that for ten thousand years spanned most of the Milky Way Galaxy. They have thousands of ships, an untold number of jaffa soldiers, and planets full of human servants (though few of these worlds appeared to be industrialized, and in the movie, Continuum, one of the Goa'uld System Lords reacted with shock and disgust when she discovered that Earth's human population had reached billions, implying that the mean population of Goa'uld worlds is in the millions or less).

Their primary ships are called Ha'taks, and they're close to a kilometer wide. Their shields are strong enough to deflect a pair of naquadah-amped nuclear warheads (which, IIRC were stated as being 1000 times as powerful as normal nukes) without any trouble, and their weapons were powerful enough to overcome the shields of other Ha'taks. Each Ha'tak carries up to two thousand Jaffa troops (which I've always thought was a stupidly small number considering you could fit twice as many troops on a comparatively smaller cruise ship), and Jaffa troops are essentially humans who are trained from birth to fight for the Goa'uld and incubate immature Goa'uld symbiotes in their bellies. This gives them greater strength than normal humans (the best and strongest of them might qualify for Peak Human status), greater reflexes, a more powerful immune system, a longer life span (provided they keep getting new symbiotes they can live well past 100 years and still be strong and vital), and a moderate healing factor.

ScreamPaste
From the sounds of this, you might get a good fight from the Terran Dominion of Star Craft. mmm Not sure they'd (The Goa'uld) come out on top, but their empire is certainly larger, if not as well armed.

FinalAnswer
From what I remember, would give the Mass Effect universe a good fight.

EDIT: As far as individual races, without any intervention, the Goa'uld could probably conquer most everyone except maybe the council races and the Batarians.

Not counting Reapers because lol.

Omega Vision
Are there any Babylon 5 fans here? At what level are the Babylon 5 factions? Oh, and what about the races/factions from Halo?

I haven't read any of the Halo novels, so I'm not sure what they say about the power of the Covenant, but I've often wondered if the Covenant could beat the Goa'uld.

Also, more specs on the Ha'taks: they have sublight drives that are easily capable of going 5% of lightspeed (they could go from Earth to Saturn in minutes) and their hyperdrives are capable of moving the ship 32,000 times the speed of light.
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
From what I remember, would give the Mass Effect universe a good fight.

EDIT: As far as individual races, without any intervention, the Goa'uld could probably conquer most everyone except maybe the council races and the Batarians.

Not counting Reapers because lol.
Aren't the Council Races pretty much all the important ones?

FinalAnswer
The Humans, Turians, Salarians and Asari are the only members of Council space that have a military worth speaking of, the Krogan don't count because they were devastated by the genophage and have no ships. The Batarians have a military about on par with Humanity's, but aren't part of Council space.

And I suppose the Quarians have the best fleet in the galaxy, but have weak ground forces.

I forgot about the Geth though, they would probably be the biggest straight up challenge for the Goa'uld, if they were facing the entire collective.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
The Humans, Turians, Salarians and Asari are the only members of Council space that have a military worth speaking of, the Krogan don't count because they were devastated by the genophage and have no ships. The Batarians have a military about on par with Humanity's, but aren't part of Council space.

And I suppose the Quarians have the best fleet in the galaxy, but have weak ground forces.

I forgot about the Geth though, they would probably be the biggest straight up challenge for the Goa'uld, if they were facing the entire collective.
Are the Geth anything like the Replicators? Because the Replicators wiped out the Goa'uld Empire in a matter of a few days when they invaded the Milky Way. Though, I suppose the Replicators are the most powerful force in the Stargate Verse not counting ascended beings or the Pre-Ascended Ancients.

FinalAnswer
I don't recall much, but I don't think they act in the same manner as the Replicators.

Copied from Mass Effect wiki:

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Are there any Babylon 5 fans here? At what level are the Babylon 5 factions?

Babylon 5 factions aren't much except for the First Ones, who are quite powerful. I think they could beat the Goa'uld handily.

Omega Vision
Do you have any idea of the scale of the Geth's fleet? Because individual System Lords had hundreds of ships, and there were over a dozen System Lords at any given time, with the top dogs (Ba'al, Cronus, Ra, Sokar, Anubis, Apophis, Heru'ur) having more than the average number. After the fall of the Goa'uld, the Free Jaffa Nation was able to send ten Ha'taks to attempt to stop the incursion of the Ori Fleet, and this was done reluctantly, implying that they sent a token force. Keep in mind that this is after massive numbers of the ships were destroyed by infighting and the Replicator invasion.

FinalAnswer
No precise numbers, but a single geth fleet orbiting around the planet of Chaorum was estimated to be between 5000 and 10000, though I would suspect most of these would be mere fighters and dropships. I would assume that something like a tenth of those numbers would be the number of dreadnoughts, cruisers, frigates, ect.

There are several other planets the Geth occupy, so several times those numbers, with the bulk of their numbers, I assume, located around their "home" planet of Rannoch.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Do you have any idea of the scale of the Geth's fleet? Because individual System Lords had hundreds of ships, and there were over a dozen System Lords at any given time, with the top dogs (Ba'al, Cronus, Ra, Sokar, Anubis, Apophis, Heru'ur) having more than the average number. After the fall of the Goa'uld, the Free Jaffa Nation was able to send ten Ha'taks to attempt to stop the incursion of the Ori Fleet, and this was done reluctantly, implying that they sent a token force. Keep in mind that this is after massive numbers of the ships were destroyed by infighting and the Replicator invasion.

Not sure of exact numbers but They share a hive mind of sorts and once their bodies are destroyed they simply upload into a new one with all knowledge/exp up till the death of their last body preserved and shared amongst the collective.
They also have sub types and high hacking/interfacing capability.

And more on their military

I put in bold the only number tally of a single geth fleet I saw when I gave it a quick read threw. You can ignore the mentions of reaper tech as normal non heretic geth wouldn't use it. (as far as I know)

Charlotte DeBel
The funny things about Goa'uld is that their space fleet is better than 95% of everything in ME-verse, but in the land fighths... Jaffa are maybe the most jobber soldiers ever.
So in Starcraft and ME Goa\ulds will be able to put a decent space fights but will be horribly owned on the planet surface.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
The funny things about Goa'uld is that their space fleet is better than 95% of everything in ME-verse, but in the land fighths... Jaffa are maybe the most jobber soldiers ever.
So in Starcraft and ME Goa\ulds will be able to put a decent space fights but will be horribly owned on the planet surface.
Rebel Jaffa were pretty badass. So were the Sodan (So'dan?). It was lame how they killed off those guys in one episode. The Ori ruined everything.

My impression though is that the Jaffa were poorly prepared to fight actual organized militaries like the SG Teams, they were more like shock troops trained and equipped to keep slaves in check. Jack O'Neill said it best when he compared the P-90 to the Staff Weapon: the latter is a weapon of terror, the former is a weapon of war.

Tell me, how big/powerful are ME ships? So far all the info that's been quoted to me has measured Geth ships by how they stack up to Organics' ships, but seeing as I don't know anything about those that doesn't help me much.

Charlotte DeBel
The greatest advantage of Goa'uld ships against ME ships are shields. The Citadel races don't have anything to pierce them.
And in the land battless... kinetic weapons are Jaffa's doom and as you've said they are pathetic against actual combat units.

Omega Vision
On a side note, did you ever notice how much bad luck befell the Russian characters in SG-1?

It's like the writers were trying to make up for the fact that SGC lacked redshirts.

Charlotte DeBel
I HATED this plot point. It's like the writers never lived past the cold war stereotypes.
Heroic Americans save the day... That said, the series are decent enough to acquire a large Russian-speaking fandom, but using a rival SG project (Russian) as a bunch of incompetent redshirts (or Red shirts) was beyond stupid.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Charlotte DeBel
I HATED this plot point. It's like the writers never lived past the cold war stereotypes.
Heroic Americans save the day... That said, the series are decent enough to acquire a large Russian-speaking fandom, but using a rival SG project (Russian) as a bunch of incompetent redshirts (or Red shirts) was beyond stupid.
I find it ridiculous how they were able to keep everything a secret throughout SG-1 and even after a CITY (granted, it was cloaked) crashed into San Francisco harbor from space. I stopped paying attention to SGU after the first season--did the secret ever get out?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.