wasted potential and missed chances

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

SevenShackles
Doing this from my phone so forgive any writing and spelling errors on my part.

Was curious as to others ideas and opinions on unfullfilled and unexsplored story lines and characters. For example when a story leaves off open ended and then nothing comes from it or hints to further involvement with bigger possibilities for upcoming events but gets totally ignored taking away potwntial depth from the story.
as in son of vulcan it leaves off with the protagonist at titans tower.. His whole background revolved around white martians and even introduced white martian hybrids. Heck there was a white martian in hiding (miss martian) on the team at the time that could of lead to many story avenues. Instead he got tossed on cyborgs doomed titans team that got picked apart and killed in one issue. Son of vulcan was in a coma but stil a waste.

Sooo what about u guys?

Galan007
I still wish Marvel would have expanded on The Collective more. The guy literally had infinite potential, and he only appeared in, what? 3 issues?

thumb down

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Galan007
I still wish Marvel would have expanded on The Collective more. The guy literally had infinite potential, and he only appeared in, what? 3 issues?

thumb down
that sounds familiar were they those glowing blue guys? Had situations with the x-men and magnetos brotherhood and stuff to do with erased memories and maybe somerhing to do with high evolutionary or someone

TheGodKiller
Sentry.

Galan007
Originally posted by SevenShackles
that sounds familiar were they those glowing blue guys? Had situations with the x-men and magnetos brotherhood and stuff to do with erased memories and maybe somerhing to do with high evolutionary or someone I'm talking about this guy:
http://www.comicvine.com/the-collective/4005-42938/

Damborgson
Sentry for wasted potential that's for sure

SevenShackles
Lord havok and the extremist during that mim were cool. They blanked out before monarch got torn open by SMP, teleporting into another universe.
They could easily worked into DCnU in a JL or stormwatch or both at some point

the Darkone
Tyrant has great potential

Estacado
Darkness.
He has the power of half of creation and all he does is creates goblin like creatures and tentacles.....ermm

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Estacado
Darkness.
He has the power of half of creation and all he does is creates goblin like creatures and tentacles.....ermm
I never thought of that you r right! I do remember him turnig into some beast in a storyline with both witchblade and magdelon(sp?)

Estacado
Originally posted by SevenShackles
I never thought of that you r right! I do remember him turnig into some beast in a storyline with both witchblade and magdelon(sp?)
Yeah he shapeshifted into a dragon in the First Born mini....he did some cool stuff.....but lately he did nothing impressive...on avarage all he does is create darklings.....it has been stated numerous times that Darkness is the most powerful weapon on Earth and Jackie doesnt really use his potentional...........in a book it was said that the Darkness unchecked could swallow all of reality.....

Digi
Originally posted by Estacado
Yeah he shapeshifted into a dragon in the First Born mini....he did some cool stuff.....but lately he did nothing impressive...on avarage all he does is create darklings.....it has been stated numerous times that Darkness is the most powerful weapon on Earth and Jackie doesnt really use his potentional...........in a book it was said that the Darkness unchecked could swallow all of reality.....

Sounds like standard comic hyperbole. Has he done anything at all to suggest he should be hitting such levels? I tend to think wasted potential refers more to character. Power levels need to be given a limit or narrative problems develop.

Newjak
A lot of stuff with Ares comes to mind after his Marvel Mini.

Estacado
Originally posted by Digi
Sounds like standard comic hyperbole. Has he done anything at all to suggest he should be hitting such levels? I tend to think wasted potential refers more to character. Power levels need to be given a limit or narrative problems develop.
Another Darkness user was moving planets with his powers......
It's not hyperbole the Darkness is half of creation in Top Cow.......

ATM there is a slight chance that after re-booting the Universe....the Darkness formed it to it's will but we have to find out yet...

Bentley
The only potential Sentry had was shown in the Ages of Sentry mini.

SevenShackles
Originally posted by Bentley
The only potential Sentry had was shown in the Ages of Sentry mini.

If they dialed the void back as far as plot devices go and used it in a more plot driven way it could of been awesome. Siege just took a shit on any plot they managed to build and threw void at Asgard literally.

If they had him being all superman-ish with his one personality and seemingly under control and despite that dudes like ironman and cap keeping an eye on him trying to take it easy with him much to his annoyance Only for him in his own series to actually be having issues with the void but not to many instances where it's totally out of his control. Just stuff like that 'heal someone and the void will give someone else cancer' type stuff.
Sentry isnt much of a character without void with not much of a personality either way. Never seemed to develop much outside his own titles.

curryman
Originally posted by Newjak
A lot of stuff with Ares comes to mind after his Marvel Mini.

The Hood, Ares, Marvel-Boy, Sentry and any other character Bendis got his hands on smile

Q99
The end of the pre-reboot era. Mainly, the suddenness of it. You have a chance to give actual epilogues to many character's stories, and yet it was done so suddenly that only a few had anything like a satisfying stopping point.

TheGodKiller
Originally posted by Digi
Wasn't the Darkness the same entity which was eventually revealed to be the Great Evil Beast?

If it was, then this current host is indeed a fail user of such power. IIRC, Superman also managed to beat him, didn't he?

AlmightyKfish
Originally posted by Q99
The end of the pre-reboot era. Mainly, the suddenness of it. You have a chance to give actual epilogues to many character's stories, and yet it was done so suddenly that only a few had anything like a satisfying stopping point.

I agree with this, seeing as it's almost COIE in scale, you'd think they'd have given the DCU a proper send off, like COIE did with pre crisis.

But no, we got a dark and gritty alternate universe and Barry changing history.

Similarly, the end of Hellblazer was sudden and pretty disappointing. It was clearly just the planned end of Mulligans run with a few pages thrown in to finish John's story, which it failed to do so in any satisfying way. There could of been a chance to write a proper finish for Vertigo Constantine, and it was completely wasted.

the Darkone
Originally posted by curryman
The Hood, Ares, Marvel-Boy, Sentry and any other character Bendis got his hands on smile

Bendis is a Death God, every character he touches turns into sh**. I didn't care the Sentry, over hyping but he did had great potential, Ares, Ultron his work seem to get worse and worse IMO.

Sentry
Blue Marvel
Ares
Phobos
Tyrant
Mikaboshi all these characters were wasted potential, but they have a chance of being reinvent by Hickman, Redeemer if they do it right especially with Sentry, Ares and Blue MArvel have chance to do something great. Bring a new Sentry in from another universe along with Miracle Man and current Hyperion and Blue Marvel can take it too another level.

Tyrant can still be Darkseid like character in the universe IMO

curryman
I also feel that they should have kept Ellis on Thunderbolts. He was doing amazing work with that title.

American Eagle is a very, very interesting character. I wish they'd utilise him more.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.