Cole McGrath (Infamous) vs. Alex Mercer (Prototype)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sacred 117
Setting: Ruins of Empire City. Both will have all of their upgrades, and the power of both Coles (good and evil) will be examined as one (if possible). They will start the match on equal level rooftops facing each other with 10 blocks of separation. Make your case!

NemeBro
This is a very original thread.

Sacred 117
Really? I've actually seen this done a few times. Of course, that could be sarcasm for all I know, I'm not assuming such. I realize how difficult it can sometimes be to convey tone through written speech.

Anyways, your take on the match?

BloodRain
Mercer crushes Cole, good and/or evil.

Beast Cole can't be defeated in the same way Mercer can't be defeated. They can come back from really powerful attacks, still, it takes lesser force to take them out. Beasts is below Mercer's attacks more than visa versa. A draw or Alex takes it.

COG Veteran
McGrath lites him up.

Sacred 117
I actually have an opinion on this one. Honestly, I think Cole would take it. A stun baton was shown capable of stopping Mercer in his tracks. Imagine what 30,000-300,000+ volts shot at him in various ways would do to him. Also, Mercer can be hit by bullets, which travels much slower than a bolt of lightning. Combine that with Cole's ability to activate adrenaline-based perception and Mercer will be virtually unable to dodge him. Cole also has a greater variety of offensive capabilities, along with fire and ice. Whereas Mercer is a relatively formless, one-dimensional fighter, relying primarily on brute force. I see Mercer having only a physical edge on him. The rest goes to Cole for me. Nothing Mercer has ever faced has proven nearly as powerful as Cole. This is just how I feel about it.

BloodRain
Dunno. Seeing as its Cross who is at head of this army party, that baton must have had both high voltage and the right amps, waves, pulse, something, tolateforscience.. something to specifically target the body functions. Because when Mercer is taking tank shells to the face, anything less than a large bolt shouldn't down him too easily.

The thing is its that edge you gave Mercer at the end that pushes the win to him. Cole is peak humanly fast, so it wont be the easiest thing to tag someone who can move faster than the eye can see. Cole is also low superhuman in body, while Mercer casually throws hundred ton tanks around. To where Cole would need several well timed and powerful blasts to have that chance, Mercer only needs a single touch to win. Brutally.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by BloodRain
Dunno. Seeing as its Cross who is at head of this army party, that baton must have had both high voltage and the right amps, waves, pulse, something, tolateforscience.. something to specifically target the body functions. Because when Mercer is taking tank shells to the face, anything less than a large bolt shouldn't down him too easily.

The thing is its that edge you gave Mercer at the end that pushes the win to him. Cole is peak humanly fast, so it wont be the easiest thing to tag someone who can move faster than the eye can see. Cole is also low superhuman in body, while Mercer casually throws hundred ton tanks around. To where Cole would need several well timed and powerful blasts to have that chance, Mercer only needs a single touch to win. Brutally.

You're not honestly saying Cross's stick has power output matching Cole, are you? As for Mercer's speed, Cole has an adrenaline function to help him with that. Physicality is a given for Mercer, but Cole has a larger arsenal of greater variety. Whereas Mercer is rather mindless when it comes to combat, overexerting with every attack and leaving himself wide open. Also, Cole can toss vehicles to, so flying tanks wouldn't be much of a problem. Honestly, Shock Wave = problem solved. All of this, and that's before considering his good/evil elemental augments. Mercer, to my knowledge, never adapted to electricity, so how does he plan to hold up to fire and ice? I'm unsure of the effects of the two on biomass, but I don't see that ending well for him.

BloodRain
No I'm saying that the volts/amps are likely to be specific here as you wouldn't have regular electricity taking out a guy who eats tank shell explosions. A minor what-if, though its fair to look at how durable Mercer is. Not to mention that the baton that only shows its effect in gameplay doesn't do more damage than normal explosives. Basically Cole can shock him with all but the stronger charges and it will only manage to temp slow him down.
His 'adrenalin' makes him react faster but still only in human limits when Blacklight was surpassing human limits when taking its first baby steps.

Besides throwing cars not being close to casually throwing tanks down a city-block, its the fact that Mercer's strength is so high that it would take a single strike from him to end Cole. This is that guy who can kill people with a casual, non-powered, non-charged punch.
Just compare: At the start of iF2, when Cole was stronger than iF1 but before his ice/fire powers, he found a helicopter to be a challenge, having to run from it until he used one of the 4 strongest moves in his disposal. Mercer regularly took on military force including many armed forces, tanks and helicopters, along with surrounding infected and larger beasts.

Mercer has Cole in speed, durability and strength to one-shot. Cole has Mercer in a few special moves (trying to freeze him over or bringing down a giant bolt on him) that can give him an edge, but its a small edge to Mercer's blade collection.

Sacred 117
No I'm saying that the volts/amps are likely to be specific here as you wouldn't have regular electricity taking out a guy who eats tank shell explosions. A minor what-if, though its fair to look at how durable Mercer is. Not to mention that the baton that only shows its effect in gameplay doesn't do more damage than normal explosives. Basically Cole can shock him with all but the stronger charges and it will only manage to temp slow him down.
His 'adrenalin' makes him react faster but still only in human limits when Blacklight was surpassing human limits when taking its first baby steps.

Besides throwing cars not being close to casually throwing tanks down a city-block, its the fact that Mercer's strength is so high that it would take a single strike from him to end Cole. This is that guy who can kill people with a casual, non-powered, non-charged punch.
Just compare: At the start of iF2, when Cole was stronger than iF1 but before his ice/fire powers, he found a helicopter to be a challenge, having to run from it until he used one of the 4 strongest moves in his disposal. Mercer regularly took on military force including many armed forces, tanks and helicopters, along with surrounding infected and larger beasts.

Mercer has Cole in speed, durability and strength to one-shot. Cole has Mercer in a few special moves (trying to freeze him over or bringing down a giant bolt on him) that can give him an edge, but its a small edge to Mercer's blade collection.

Everything Cole does puts out more than a damn baton. To say otherwise is understating Cole's power.

You forget something. Cole's an evolved meta human, not some Blacklight grunt or civilian bystander. I'd say he can handle Mercer's power. His durability is proven on more than one occasion, such as his first helicopter incident. I don't know if we're talking about the same one, but I don't remember him running from it. As I recall, he tanked a hit to the dome from one atop a speeding car. Both were heading toward each other, so the force was further multiplied. What does he do? He gets up, brushes off the hit, and brings down da choppuh, and he didn't need ionic powers to do it.

Mercer's blades all serve the same purpose, so they're not exactly game changers. He wields them with wasted energy and lacking discipline, and they can't do him good beyond trying to kill something with them. Cole's variety, however, leave him room for strategy and efficiency, and that's if I were only talking about one Cole. We're considering both of them as a complete idea, so his arsenal is doubled.

NemeBro
He has never shown the durability to take a bladed attack from a character than tosses tanks city blocks away.

Sacred 117
The same way Mercer has never been able to stand up to elemental metas. Like I said, how would Mercer hold up against lightning, fire, and ice?

ares834
Considering a nuke wasn't able to completely destroy him, he should hold up just fine.

Sacred 117
Originally posted by ares834
Considering a nuke wasn't able to completely destroy him, he should hold up just fine.

A crow conveniently landed on him allowing him to regenerate. Burn that away, and he won't get the same chance. Besides, I'm pretty sure Cole would live through it too if he conveniently crashed into the city's power grid or some shit. Plus, didn't Cole nuke the Beast? It's been a while, so the details elude me.

BloodRain
Originally posted by Sacred 117
Everything Cole does puts out more than a damn baton. To say otherwise is understating Cole's power.

You forget something. Cole's an evolved meta human, not some Blacklight grunt or civilian bystander. I'd say he can handle Mercer's power. His durability is proven on more than one occasion, such as his first helicopter incident. I don't know if we're talking about the same one, but I don't remember him running from it. As I recall, he tanked a hit to the dome from one atop a speeding car. Both were heading toward each other, so the force was further multiplied. What does he do? He gets up, brushes off the hit, and brings down da choppuh, and he didn't need ionic powers to do it.

Mercer's blades all serve the same purpose, so they're not exactly game changers. He wields them with wasted energy and lacking discipline, and they can't do him good beyond trying to kill something with them. Cole's variety, however, leave him room for strategy and efficiency, and that's if I were only talking about one Cole. We're considering both of them as a complete idea, so his arsenal is doubled.
Not talking about power though am I? If I wanted to cite power Id say how the majority of Cole's attacks dont come close to tank shells or missiles.

Cool, tanked a chopper tapping his head. That would make him as tough as the Infected. Which Mercer can one-shot with punches alone. Cole has low-superhuman perception when focused, Mercer moves at 200mph, he will be killed by his single attack.

Yes, the purpose of ripping shit up. Blade that slice through heavily armoured tanks > Cole's flesh.

The single thing for Cole here is either his AoE freezing or dropping a lightning bolt. Thats it.

Sacred 117
Tanking tank shells implies that he gets hit... a lot. He gets hit by bullets as well. Faster than lightning bolts? I think not.

You're telling me that he gets hit while also telling me "he's too fast to be hit". Both can't be true, so something's wrong with what you're saying.

Sure, and he'll take an arsenal of three elements to the face. None of which he can adapt to.

You know Cole has grenades that can restrain opponents, right? He can basically just execute him where he lies.

BTW, welcome back.

BloodRain
Their speed isnt the issue, its that Mercer tanks tanks where all but a few strong attacks of Cole's can be survived by humans. And besides not having that damaging output, there's the fact that whatever Cross used against Mercer only repels him. He is barely harmed by it, all it does is give him a shock. Putting these two together and we have most of Cole's attacks not being strong enough and only creating a temporary shock.

Not if what he's hit by is faster than him. Don't forget that Mercer fights squads of military forces at a time, so many bullets flying. This is one on one with one guy that outruns helicopters and leaps over cityblocks and buildings, the other can focus their perception to momentarily just hit low-superhuman.

Mercer is faster, stronger, more agile, more durable, has more fatalities and can handily take the majority of Cole's attacks head on.

SevenShackles
Their speed isnt the issue, its that Mercer tanks tanks where all but a few strong attacks of Cole's can be survived by humans. And besides not having that damaging output, there's the fact that whatever Cross used against Mercer only repels him. He is barely harmed by it, all it does is give him a shock. Putting these two together and we have most of Cole's attacks not being strong enough and only creating a temporary shock.

Not if what he's hit by is faster than him. Don't forget that Mercer fights squads of military forces at a time, so many bullets flying. This is one on one with one guy that outruns helicopters and leaps over cityblocks and buildings, the other can focus their perception to momentarily just hit low-superhuman.

Mercer is faster, stronger, more agile, more durable, has more fatalities and can handily take the majority of Cole's attacks head on.

thumb up

Sacred 117

We've already been over all of this.

A. Cross's stick doesn't have near the same voltage as McGrath, and it was still a problem for Mercer. Here, that will only get worse.
B. Exactly. "Faster than him." Wouldn't you say lightning bolts are? Coupled with perception, Mercer will have a much harder time.
C. That's a given. We established that at the start of the debate. I'll take Mercer's physical superiority, and I raise you Cole's various means of offense AND defense comprised of things Mercer is not typically confronted with.

BloodRain
Worse to what degree? That unknown volt/amp could only shock him. A strong jolt from Cole is likely above the baton, but what does that mean? Its stronger than something Mercer shrugs off? Again humans can be hit with most his jolts and not die. To assume any shock will start to bring Mercer down is a stretch.

That's vs a couple dozen people, not one. And comparing his perception to the raw speed here, Cole would still have a tough time tagging him. The difference is that the variation isn't that great. Bolts and grenades, wot do much. Fire attacks, not stacking up to explosives Mercer usually eats. Ice attacks, most useful as it would hold him for a moment so Cole would have to act really quick before he busts out, assuming he's hit as the ice power is the slowest one. The AoE drain won't help, the tornado will stall, the AoE freeze will be the same as normal freeze, leaving dropping a massive bolt on him his best ultra attack.

Shock with bolts, temp freeze if tagged with ice, and damage with dropped bolt that severely drains him. Tis is what he's bringing to the table.

Sacred 117
Cole passively carries enough charge to blow up vehicles simply by sitting in them. (He mentions this in the first game.) Furthermore, all of his attacks have a passive ability as well, such as levitating foes.

Explosives don't have the same incendiary value to them. They rely more on fragmentation and concussive force (real life fact), so how would biomass stand to extreme temperatures? We basically agree on ice, but how would ionic powers barely do anything? I don't see where you're getting that.

Add the fire, and I believe that's enough to put Mercer away. Mercer has no experience dealing with the likes of that, so how can he survive it?

BloodRain
Thats because, just like with guns, he'd involuntarily spark an ignition on both. Anti-gravity floating doesnt pose much of a threat to a guy with both long ranged grapples and air dashes.

Without knowing how hot, his pyro grenades can be compared to real grenades, rockets or HEAT weapon explosions that hit 600C. Mercer also faces Thermobaric weapons that hit 4,000C. Also even though he was splattered, a good chunk of his biomass still survived being close to a nuke. Because draining him wouldn't do much and nor would a tornado that doesn't 'destroy' a chopper.

KingD19
How would Cole fare against a Bio-Bomb attack?

NemeBro
Mercer survived a city block exploding with him inside the building the blast originated from (It was a military base).

Cole hasn't got shit.

LeonBuco666
Cole gets destroyed
Mercers armor and shields can deflect everything cole has, given how quick he can react, one shield up, bye bye cole attack, hello whipfist, goodbye coles chest

DatCanadian
Worse to what degree? That unknown volt/amp could only shock him. A strong jolt from Cole is likely above the baton, but what does that mean? Its stronger than something Mercer shrugs off? Again humans can be hit with most his jolts and not die. To assume any shock will start to bring Mercer down is a stretch.

That's vs a couple dozen people, not one. And comparing his perception to the raw speed here, Cole would still have a tough time tagging him. The difference is that the variation isn't that great. Bolts and grenades, wot do much. Fire attacks, not stacking up to explosives Mercer usually eats. Ice attacks, most useful as it would hold him for a moment so Cole would have to act really quick before he busts out, assuming he's hit as the ice power is the slowest one. The AoE drain won't help, the tornado will stall, the AoE freeze will be the same as normal freeze, leaving dropping a massive bolt on him his best ultra attack.

Shock with bolts, temp freeze if tagged with ice, and damage with dropped bolt that severely drains him. Tis is what he's bringing to the table.

Oh man, oh man, I joined this site just for you.

Here are some counters

1) Alex has shown no on the spot adaptation. That virus Cross inserted on him he needed a doctor to help him out. Only thing I'd accept is that Bloodtox thing, and even then it took so long. Electricity immunity? No. Cole's bolts were enough to power up substations, and take out cars in a few hits while each still having enough capacity to electrify a car.

So that means no blocking with the shield (a default ability) or shrugging off electricity. Especially since it affects cellular regeneration and makes him spasm. Even for one hit Cole can trap him in an infinite loop of zappy zappy. Armor might weaken the effects but overall, it ends for Mercer the moment he gets hit as he has shown no capabilities to form rubber or metal (which would be both useless)

2) Ice is going to hurt Mercer. It will take out a chunk of his biomass if not blocked since it will freeze his biomass. Not as much as electricity but it will still hurt him.

3) Shockwaves that are capable of flipping cars and reducing gravity will keep Alex away.

4) Civilians will run away from the fight once it starts. They're not stupid like in the game, they will run. And once they run away, what does that mean? No food source for Alex unless he runs away. And Cole is not giving him any time

Cole has plenty of energy around. Even if power was cut down, cars and backup generators are around. Even attacking his enemy will give him energy (Righteous strike), or using electrocution grenade and electrifying something to drain more energy

5) Alex is fast. No doubt that is true. But Cole reacts to rockets regularly. And has an ability that allows him to slow down time in his senses. A 350 mph moving train is slowed down. And Alex's max speed, with maximum output courtesy of me, ranged from average 120mph to 250, take your pick. What I'm saying is Cole will tag Alex.

Try it, make your friend stand a dozen meters in front of you, then run towards you. Raise your hand as your life depends on it, and see how much bolts you can fire as your friend dodges.

Alex shoots an average of 3.2 bolts per second. And that's not his fastest move. There's still sticky and redirect rockets.

6) His Gigawatt blades in the comics were enough to shred off a mutant's arms that duked it out with the military. And that thing was absorbing neuroelectricity too so you can add in some electric resistance factor. Those Blades would deal damage to Alex.

7) Ending time

Cole can summon a lightning storm, actually prolonged multiple amount of bolts. Can be held longer, long ranged, controllable current that's not attracted to lightning rods, instant call down.

A single lightning bolt is around 4 -5x the heat of the sun. That bolt's transfer of energy lasts only for 30 microseconds, practically nothing.

Cole can prolong it for 10 seconds. More with karmic overload...

Look at each of those carefully. Look back to me.
A lightning storm would end Alex. Debate to me how it doesn't compare to nuke, I don't care, nuke is overkill on Alex anyway. He will be ended by the storm

Now please do counter my points. I love them both, have both games, and want a debate. Now please do debate with me~

Or else ignoring me would mean Cole's victory.
And PS, the Beast which is a casual city buster and capable of teleporting and creating black holes, will SOLO the whole Prototype verse by himself....

Peace out~!

EDIT
Also, before anyone says it.

Alex Mercer barely survived a nuke.
He was on the edge of the blast, it was underwater and he was washed ashore as pile and goo. Only when the crow landed on him did he regenerate. Granted he would probably live anyway but would take a long time to regenerate, say a day or two.

That would mean KO by Cole, or he can just get rid of Alex on that puddle form.

PS Touching Cole will electrify
Bring it on Alex fans
BRING IT ON

Sacred 117
Originally posted by DatCanadian

Here are some counters

1) Alex has shown no on the spot adaptation. That virus Cross inserted on him he needed a doctor to help him out. Only thing I'd accept is that Bloodtox thing, and even then it took so long. Electricity immunity? No. Cole's bolts were enough to power up substations, and take out cars in a few hits while each still having enough capacity to electrify a car.

So that means no blocking with the shield (a default ability) or shrugging off electricity. Especially since it affects cellular regeneration and makes him spasm. Even for one hit Cole can trap him in an infinite loop of zappy zappy. Armor might weaken the effects but overall, it ends for Mercer the moment he gets hit as he has shown no capabilities to form rubber or metal (which would be both useless)

2) Ice is going to hurt Mercer. It will take out a chunk of his biomass if not blocked since it will freeze his biomass. Not as much as electricity but it will still hurt him.

3) Shockwaves that are capable of flipping cars and reducing gravity will keep Alex away.

4) Civilians will run away from the fight once it starts. They're not stupid like in the game, they will run. And once they run away, what does that mean? No food source for Alex unless he runs away. And Cole is not giving him any time

Cole has plenty of energy around. Even if power was cut down, cars and backup generators are around. Even attacking his enemy will give him energy (Righteous strike), or using electrocution grenade and electrifying something to drain more energy

5) Alex is fast. No doubt that is true. But Cole reacts to rockets regularly. And has an ability that allows him to slow down time in his senses. A 350 mph moving train is slowed down. And Alex's max speed, with maximum output courtesy of me, ranged from average 120mph to 250, take your pick. What I'm saying is Cole will tag Alex.

Try it, make your friend stand a dozen meters in front of you, then run towards you. Raise your hand as your life depends on it, and see how much bolts you can fire as your friend dodges.

Alex shoots an average of 3.2 bolts per second. And that's not his fastest move. There's still sticky and redirect rockets.

6) His Gigawatt blades in the comics were enough to shred off a mutant's arms that duked it out with the military. And that thing was absorbing neuroelectricity too so you can add in some electric resistance factor. Those Blades would deal damage to Alex.

7) Ending time

Cole can summon a lightning storm, actually prolonged multiple amount of bolts. Can be held longer, long ranged, controllable current that's not attracted to lightning rods, instant call down.

A single lightning bolt is around 4 -5x the heat of the sun. That bolt's transfer of energy lasts only for 30 microseconds, practically nothing.

Look at each of those carefully. Look back to me.
A lightning storm would end Alex. Debate to me how it doesn't compare to nuke, I don't care, nuke is overkill on Alex anyway. He will be ended by the storm

Now please do counter my points. I love them both, have both games, and want a debate. Now please do debate with me~

Or else ignoring me would mean Cole's victory.
And PS, the Beast which is a casual city buster and capable of teleporting and creating black holes, will SOLO the whole Prototype verse by himself....

Peace out~!

EDIT
Also, before anyone says it.

He was on the edge of the blast, it was underwater and he was washed ashore as pile and goo. Only when the crow landed on him did he regenerate. Granted he would probably live anyway but would take a long time to regenerate, say a day or two.

Bring it on Alex fans
BRING IT ON

Funny. I was thinking to myself earlier today "Maybe I'll revive the Cole v. Alex thread" with intentions of making a new argument. Lone behold, someone comes along and beats me to it, making the exact same argument I had planned to. Lol, I guess we're back. big grin

COG Veteran

BRING IT ON

Hmmm... Bloodrain has some worthy competition for once. This should get interesting. smile

DatCanadian
Originally posted by COG Veteran
Hmmm... Bloodrain has some worthy competition for once. This should get interesting. smile

I would say I like the term idiot with a death wish, but hey, that sounds nice too.

Originally posted by Sacred 117
Funny. I was thinking to myself earlier today "Maybe I'll revive the Cole v. Alex thread" with intentions of making a new argument. Lone behold, someone comes along and beats me to it, making the exact same argument I had planned to. Lol, I guess we're back. big grin

Too arms brother!
big grin

DatCanadian
Something I missed but quite important, so I'm saying it now before I sleep.

Cole's durability is not important here. Although he's traded blows with giant mutants before. Survived a tower collapsing on him and barely feeling anything, toxic missiles, constant sniper rifles, and being crushed by a magma hand didn't stop him from casting a lightning storm. He's also durable enough to fall from 50 storey buildings, and get hits by train with not much damage, or both. But it doesn't matter, he'll be using graviton shockwaves (which stuns enemies, I can see them struggling to shoot but they aren't able to) or electric tornadoes, which have a habit of scattering electricity once you use it.

He discharges electricity passively. And is enough to electrocute anyone on water with him, and power up trains which take up a lot of energy

He also oneshots choppers, one in a cutscene, the other on a comic. And that time he was weakened.

Cole is capable of hand to hand combat like that dance fighting style, capioera something? And augments his fists with electricity, electrocuting the enemy too. Not saying one can fatally injure Alex, but if he is by any chance grabbed by a hand, (not a weapon, any of Alex weapon is too dangerous and will probably be knocked away) he can punch Alex to stun free himself.

And sorry for double posting. But really needed to get that out

BloodRain
Oh man, oh man, I joined this site just for you. Kinda flattering actually. Welcome.

Shields will be advantageous. Humans could safely defend from Cole's attacks with riot shields, so Mercer, being the superhuman he is with a shield capable of blocking stronger explosives, has the defensive if it comes to that. His armoured skin alone is greater than a riot shield.

Besides being Cole's slowest power, it wont take long to recover. Shockwaves or being pushed away are the least of his porblem.

They wouldn't be too far, and given the insane speed difference nothing will stop Mercer from quickly grabbing a snack if needs be.

Concerning Cole its not about whether he'll get the opportunity to drain some power, he wont. Not because he wouldn't get the chance if he needed to, but because any damage he receives from Mercer will leave him in only three states; unconscious, crippled or dead.

That comparison illustrates how Cole shockwaves the RPGs. He sees someone fire one off a couple dozen meters away, raises his hand and sends out a pulse. The main difference is that Mercer is dynamic where the launcher is static, just standing there aiming. Second difference is that Mercer is not a linear projectile. He will move, evade and react to his target.

For those visuals compare a batter getting ready to hit a ball pitched at him, to the same batter reacting to a ball at the same speed that instead of going in a straight line towards him starts moving around like it has a mind of its own.

Tagging Mercer is going to be a lot harder than RPGs.

Said it before and I'll say it again; For Mercer Vs Cole, hand to hand combat is not an option. In that situation Cole loses all advantages he might of had.

7) Cole can summon a lightning storm, actually prolonged multiple amount of bolts. Can be held longer, long ranged, controllable current that's not attracted to lightning rods, instant call down.

To start with the Ionic Storm is powerful and will cause a ton of damage.. but it wont kill him just like that. Damage wise there a big difference between what his lightning does to what Mercer has taken. Blackwatch blew up a large building with Mercer inside and he just walked it off. No armour, just him.

Second is the accuracy. Its known that this attack has troubles hitting moving targets, even low superhuman speed is trouble to hit. Not to mention that he has a limit on usage.

Basically as I've said the single thing a normal Cole has to threaten Mercer is dropping a bolt on him, something Cole would have difficulty with even if it manages to do great harm. Other than that becoming the Beast is the only option. The massive explosion kamakazi would force a temp draw, both slowly coming back from being pasted, so barring that its more even; Ionic storm, gravity and regen Vs Durability, speed, strength and regen.
Cole's durability is not important here. Although he's traded blows with giant mutants before. Survived a tower collapsing on him and barely feeling anything, toxic missiles, constant sniper rifles, and being crushed by a magma hand didn't stop him from casting a lightning storm. He's also durable enough to fall from 50 storey buildings, and get hits by train with not much damage, or both. But it doesn't matter, he'll be using graviton shockwaves (which stuns enemies, I can see them struggling to shoot but they aren't able to) or electric tornadoes, which have a habit of scattering electricity once you use it.

He discharges electricity passively. And is enough to electrocute anyone on water with him, and power up trains which take up a lot of energy

He also oneshots choppers, one in a cutscene, the other on a comic. And that time he was weakened.

Cole is capable of hand to hand combat like that dance fighting style, capioera something? And augments his fists with electricity, electrocuting the enemy too. Not saying one can fatally injure Alex, but if he is by any chance grabbed by a hand, (not a weapon, any of Alex weapon is too dangerous and will probably be knocked away) he can punch Alex to stun free himself. Cole's durability is greatly important here. Being inside a falling tower or surviving falls is nothing compared to what Mercer dishes out. I mean, the guy has the strength to throw heavily armoured tanks (near 100 tons) hundreds of feet, one-shot them with strong blunt force or his blade, or when in a dive can destroy large buildings.

We have seen the limits of Cole's durability in iF2 when the Militia ram into the car he was standing on. He describes the pain as "a small death", so badly injured that simply crawling away took a lot of effort. This means that Mercer would be able to kill Cole with his bare fists.

TL;DR- Cole would have trouble tagging Mercer with ice or bolts, and wouldn't be too bothered if he was struck not to mention his defences. Best bet is to drop an even harder to tag bolt that is in all honesty below the blast Mercer took unscathed. The worst part is that this will not be a lengthy dual, no. The match will last until Mercer closes the gap and is in Cole's face, meaning Cole has a couple seconds to put down Mercer before his durability gets slaughtered by overwhelming strength

Becoming The Beast is the single option Cole has to defeat Mercer.

DatCanadian

DatCanadian
Also, I missed my chance to edit it in, but anyway, bolts are more effective than bullets since

Bullets: Makes hole on Alex's body, that's it
Bolts: Electrifies whole body, stuns, disables movement or causes involuntary ones, cancels regeneration

And finally, Cole's grenades can bust large barricades, almost the same as a frag grenade. But why doesn't it make civilians or enemies splatter to bits? Rated T game and gameplay challenge.

It'll be boring if you can just oneshot every enemy in infamous.

LeonBuco666
I just have to say alex mercer WITHOUT gameplay mechanics is very dangerous.
He's far more intelligent than Cole
Physically stronger.
His double whipfist would be to much for Cole he'd get sliced up like bread.
Yes, his blades are metal, organic metal, slices through tank ajd helicopter armor like a warm knife to the butter.
Your argument for the shield and armor being fodder to coles attacks as it would have the same effect is wrong, in the games if you use the armor bullets, rocket, minigun fire all bounces off of you.
Same case with the shield.
In the mercer comics, he gets stunned with electricity numerous times and it doesnt effect him in the slightest
The nuke feat was actually ground zero, he wasnt at the end of the blast radius, but granted it was underwater, not that it should make a difference.

DatCanadian
Originally posted by LeonBuco666
I just have to say alex mercer WITHOUT gameplay mechanics is very dangerous.
Firstly I do agree! Then again all game characters without those tend to become more powerful

Agreed. Though one hit from Cole can stun him for a combo to an infinite loop of electric bolts. That severely limits what intelligent tactics he can come up

I have to say, that might not help when your enemy has a gun. What I mean, is Cole has the necessary abilities to play keep away with Alex. I do agree that one hit will end Cole

That worked well with Cross right? Anyway shockwaves and dodging will work. But the use of this provides Cole a circuit he can zap Alex with

It looks metallic but mainly its composed of dense organic matter, as Alex's ability is to manipulate biomass. But even if it is metal, it will conduct electricity to him. Not sure where you're heading here

I recall while playing rockets don't bounce off of my armor. And when blocking with the shield, it does make Alex stop to hold it against the blast. Electricity is not the same as modern firearms. It's pure energy.

Think of it this way, would a blocking a taser with a human shield work? Yes, you'll get electrocuted too if you do that, so no.

Really? Care to provide some links to the scans or posting them online? What are those electric sources? Because Cole can direct his electricity accurately, as shown on that scan and when Cole directs a lightning storm yet it never gets attracted to lightning rods. His electricity is way higher in terms of offensive capabilities than a simple taser I would say

What's your point? He still got pulverized even then. A lightning storm would be too much for our friend Alex.

LeonBuco666
I would surely have to disagree that a lightning storm is in anyway hotter than the surface of the sun, if it was that more intense it would set of a chain reaction to earths atmosphere.
And i ment by the blades that they actually are metal, just organic....doesnt make a difference tbh unless they come in melee in which case cole gets snapped in half.
Its a really tough fight to call
But alex would win 6/10
Ill try find some scans for you
And the shields an armor would probably disperse the electrical attacks, but then again hes going to be a much easier target from all of that weight
If mercer actually lets loose with nothing holiding him back, anything that can be used as a projectile, is getting thrown, he is very accurate with projectiles

DatCanadian
I would surely have to disagree that a lightning storm is in anyway hotter than the surface of the sun, if it was that more intense it would set of a chain reaction to earths atmosphere.
Natural lightning was enough to be as hot as that as proven by scientists. Cole is just summoning a continuous multiple stream of lightning bolts from the sky dubbed the lightning storm.

Now I do agree it has errors but it would still be warm enough to turn Alex to puddle form. Also not sure where I read it, but some guy told that Alex shrugs off thermobaric shells, when I remember it kills you in one hit if you don't have critical mass

Well then nothing to say there then, Alex cuts Cole in half. Only problem is, he won't be getting close or fast enough to do that with Cole's plethora of abilities.

I do agree it will be a tough fight. But this is a battle that Alex can't afford to get hit once by bolts. Because one bolt would be enough to drive him to the border of barely escaping an infinite combo of lightning attacks.

Thanks!

There's really not much difference with those defense abilities aside from being unable to glide with armor. But organic armor will not counter electricity

And would he have time to pick those up? They are also counterred by shockwaves and rolling. If Alex is too close he can throw faster but also get zapped faster, if he's too far he's a bit more safe but Cole can also easily counter his attacks

LeonBuco666
Theirs plenty of arguments for this argument between this fight, really original thumb up laughing out loud
But i myself will have to call it down the middle and call it even IMO.
But comic Mercer has some great great feats.
If it did come close quarters i think its a possible that alex would consume cole in which case alex would be more powerful than ever!
The new protagonist for infamous, from the looks of the gameplay trailer, looks like he'd own mercer and cole by himself, cant wait to see his other powers

DatCanadian
Theirs plenty of arguments for this argument between this fight, really original thumb up laughing out loud
I've only visited the Alex vs cole debates just a few weeks ago. One thing I noticed is that noone really defends Cole so I took the mantle :P You really had to look around to make it even though. And thanks!
Personally they're both awesome guys, and I rather want to see them team up. Lately I've been reading a fic where they team up with Master Chief in the Mass Effect Verse

But i myself will have to call it down the middle and call it even IMO.
I agree! They're a lot more even then the naked eye. Both are really vulnerable to each other's attacks but can counter most of them. But even then I side with Cole mainly because he's like Alex's weakness

But comic Mercer has some great great feats.
I want to see them someday. Are they available on the PS3? Maybe if I earn money I'll buy some along with Cole comics so I can just look at their feats instead of searching online

If it did come close quarters i think its a possible that alex would consume cole in which case alex would be more powerful than ever!
I think Cole's electric body will interfere with Alex's shapeshifting mass actually. He's more like a slim guy while Cole's more of an electric apparition on a human body. But man the fused version of them would be epic

The new protagonist for infamous, from the looks of the gameplay trailer, looks like he'd own mercer and cole by himself, cant wait to see his other powers.
Indeed he looks awesome! Delsin Rowe's smoke and fire powers already make him look like he can handle Kessler.
And now he has terrakinesis and dubstep powers (neon) after getting them from the FETCH trailer.
I doubt he can beat Cole and/or Alex yet though

LeonBuco666
From what the new guy is shaping up to be though, he looks immense.
I like these type of debates, were you can debate with another user and not begin to insult eachother, and at the end of it call it how it is and agree upon it.
Im not sure if their availible on ps3 but they'll be on DC's website or vertigo, cant remember which it was, im pretty sure it was DC who made the adaptation.
And yes indeed, a fused version of the two would be epic, but id like Mercer to be in control more, IMHO, seeing as he's a lot smarter, he could use the powers of Cole more effectively, plus he'd be gaining Cole's memories, which obviously means his experience, damn, a shapeshifting monster who can control fire, ice and electricty would be a deadly foe.

Villelater
Anyway i know this kinda off Topic here but...i made a thread called Splatterhouse360 Rick vs Prototype 1 guy...a guy said rick would lose...im just asking if Rick would also lose to the Infamous guy?

LeonBuco666
Yes, hard.

DatCanadian
From what the new guy is shaping up to be though, he looks immense.
I like these type of debates, were you can debate with another user and not begin to insult eachother, and at the end of it call it how it is and agree upon it.
Im not sure if their availible on ps3 but they'll be on DC's website or vertigo, cant remember which it was, im pretty sure it was DC who made the adaptation.
And yes indeed, a fused version of the two would be epic, but id like Mercer to be in control more, IMHO, seeing as he's a lot smarter, he could use the powers of Cole more effectively, plus he'd be gaining Cole's memories, which obviously means his experience, damn, a shapeshifting monster who can control fire, ice and electricty would be a deadly foe.

Delsin is already a level 5- in my opinion. Probably capable of taking an army

It's hard to find these kinds of debates for me actually. The last one resorted to continue insulting others as he seemed to lose the argument stick out tongue
Oh, same adapters of the infamous comics too.
Mercer is indeed the 'smarter' one of the too with all his consumed scientists. But Cole would probably be the one calming him down when he gets too reckless.

Originally posted by Villelater
Anyway i know this kinda off Topic here but...i made a thread called Splatterhouse360 Rick vs Prototype 1 guy...a guy said rick would lose...im just asking if Rick would also lose to the Infamous guy?

Yup, he will. Too much of a range advantage for Cole and he reently just got ice jump/lightning tether/firebird strike

LeonBuco666
Cole would be the cool headed side of it the one who keeps the body working at an effective pace without losing control of themself and getring reckless.
Alex would be the quick thinking genius side, using the powers to their best effect and the fight stategy.
Rick would lose to both Cole & Alex both are to versatile, if Rick got close to Cole he could win, but it would be tough to get near him as the same for Mercer would struggle, although i believe he could more often than not, but Rick wouldnt stand a chance against Mercer, he'd get one-shotted.

DatCanadian
Heh maybe I should write about something like that. Any forum sub sections here for that?

It is a common thing for if A > B. And C is < B. Then it would be A>B>C.
Letters are characters

So, anyone else willing to fight for Mercer's pride? Well not really pride, more like victory. It's more like 6:4 on Cole's favor right now, right?

Sacred 117
So... are y'all devising a fanfiction right now? Lol, if so, I already love where it's going.

LeonBuco666
I think its a possibility lol

Sacred 117
If y'all go through with it, be sure to let me read it. smile

LeonBuco666
Of course.

DatCanadian
Okay, possibility of making a fic increases. Depending on solely how many fans are willing to see Alex and Cole either curbstomp or try to get the underworld of an advance city

I think we're getting off topic though, maybe we should make a thread. So any more debaters

LeonBuco666
Okay so, i have already contacted DatCanadian, the possiblity like he has said has increased....i think we may come together to write it and whatever. So keep your eye on this forum for a thread within the coming weeks, i may make one now and me and DatCanadian will keep you updated. I have a good feeling about this one!

I think we have covered the possibilites for this match. Ill make a thread for the Fic now

Sacred 117
Epicsauce! smile I'll definitely be following.

As per the debate, which I assume is now over with, I want to add simply that I don't believe Alex can/will one-shot Cole. If Cole's tanking collapsing towers, that at least puts him on an equal or higher durability level than the Hunters, who Alex NEVER one-shots.

With that said, can't wait to see the fic! Hope it kicks ass! rock

LeonBuco666
I think it will sacred, look at the general discussion sub forum i have just posted a thread for future updates and too see if we get a following.
The hunters can take helicopter missiles, minigun fire and tank missiles to the face with out much problem, i dont think cole could take a tank missile directly to the face.

DatCanadian
Even then, I think one blow from Alex will cripple Cole. One unarmed shot from him can already break human bones, Cole on the other hand seemed to have more passive regeneration. What I mean is that he recovers from damage later on. Of course if he survives an unarmed attack from Alex he'll probably need to drain electricity.

But I firmly do not believe Cole an tank a blade, hammer fist, whipfist, claws. He's better of tanking them

Anyway Cole can probably survive a tank cannon indirectly. But if its straight at him, I believe that's a no. He's better of blasting it back. Still, if he has a steady source of electricity he'll survive it a couple of times as long as he's draining electricity. As long as it's not direct to his body.

Got it. I still need to ready some things though. And there's also a possibility I might post it on another site after or during just to get motivation. stick out tongue

LeonBuco666
Thats a good idea post it on another site, preferably a game site, see what the gaming community thing of a rough draft after we have gotten some ideas together, ill leave you to do the writing since im stuck to my phone for the forseeable future we'll come up with plot points, storyline, dialogue, fights etc together...
And also at the level mercer was at by the end of the game, it only took 4-5 strikes to kill a hunter. And yes an indirect tank shell wouldnt kill him, as long as he and a nice amount of electricity, but a direct hit to his chest area or face, would kill him almost instantly.

DatCanadian
Hmm, might try it on that site I've been going to. Maybe the infamous forums. I'll linger on it for a bit.

Was it with the sword? I love that sword. So powerful and effective against infected. Not so much against ranged enemies or Super Soldiers. I rather rely on whipfist. Even then I can't take the Super Soldiers

Explosions are annoying anyway. Bullets on the other hand... Cole takes several sniper bullets to be taken down, even towards the head. I'm assuming it's some sort of magnetic repel effect against bullets, but he can survive against machine gun fire for some time before needing help. Still, I recommend him getting elec drain

LeonBuco666
The blade yes, the supersoldiers were always easy to dispose of using muscle mass, thats a crazy strength amp too
Yeah i agree though, PM me back so we can just get the basics done or email me basics as in location, date etc

DatCanadian
I have a feeling that Amp weapon is gonna be as effective as Cross though. If Cole gets too close. Not recommended for a close up though

K. Also did you get my second pm?

LeonBuco666
No, only got the first one

DatCanadian
It should be there now

LeonBuco666
Just sent a reply. We'll just contact through pm from now on.

Nemesis X
mbNrAqmE8cM

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.