Control - Kendrick Lamar

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

KingD19
Any rap/hip-hop enthusiast hear K.Dot's verse on Big Sean's song featuring Kendrick and Jay Electronica?

It's been lighting up the internet since Monday night when he posted the song up.

He essentially compares himself to the rap greats and calls out a lot of people in the rap game to not only step their game up, but to get back to the competitive nature of the genre.

JdcNoGmt7Ws

Tzeentch._
A few people have posted their reponses.

B.O.B.'s was meh.

KingD19
I liked Joell Ortiz's.

Based
"New n*ggas just new n*ggas don't get involved."

*50 randoms and scrubs make Kendrick responses.*

People liked B.O.B. 's but I think his lyrics are whack. All he did was copy Kendrick's and Drake's flow. Wow. Lupe was good for a song he made in two hours but I don't know why he got involved.

Someone who got mentioned better make a response otherwise Kendrick just proved the rap game is made up of pussies.

KingD19
The funny thing is, the only people insulted or feeling like he dissed them are people he specifically didn't mention. All the guys he did he's cool with and just wanted to say that friendships aside, Rap is a competitive genre and he wanted it to go back to being that way. And they're the ones that don't feel insulted(but should still respond as he did pose a challenge).

I guess BOB felt insulted since Kendrick did a song with him and didn't call him out.

Based
True that's a good reason but really the ones that really should be making some great comeback music are the guys form NY. I wanna see Nas, Hov and the A$AP crew fvck shit up. I hope Kendrick did enough to motivate them but I haven't heard of any of those guys say something about this. Hell Fiddy might say something about that NY claim before them..

Anyways I wonder why Kanye wasn't mentioned. He's 10 times better than half those people he mentioned. Maybe he's too good too be mentioned here lol.

KingD19
Well he pointed out in the verse. "Eminem, Andre 3000, the rest of y'all. New n*ggas just new n*ggas, don't get involved."

He didn't call out Kanye because he regards him in that class with the greats like Andre, Em, Jay, Nas, etc... And he's not calling them out. They did their thing already.

Out of everybody who responded, no one was on the list he mentioned. But from New York I think it was Joell Ortiz, that kid from X-Factor, Astro, and Fred The Godson.

Lupe responded, so did BOB and Cassidy.

Darth Martin

LeonBuco666
Kendrick lamar isssssssssssssssss whackkk.
If this dude was trying this shit back in the 90's
He would of got his career ended
Nas, wu tang, ice cube, krs one, rakim, pac, Big L, big Pun, uncle murda, AZ, black thought, cypress hill, scarface etc
The hip-POP gane today is what it is, pop. Kendrick lamar is lyrically shit, overall shit.
Eughhh i have a head ache.
Hes not king of NY nor is any of the "artists" Greatest Of All Time, He's is really really shit, then again, hip hop is dead, thanks to current "hip hop" rappers

Tzeentch._
It's ironic because you seem to have missed the point of his bar entirely.

LeonBuco666
He wants rap to go back to how it used to be, never mossed the point, disregarded it because he never started in the game how it used to be, nor would he have survived back then, hes signing his own death certificate.

Tzeentch._
His skills as a rapper are irrelevant in regards to the quality of rap today. Whether he's a master rapper or not doesn't mean you can ignore how shit modern rap.

KingD19
Lol if you think Kendrick is whack in any regard, especially lyrics and bars. Listen to Good Kid m.a.a.d City. Hell, listen to his original EP and Overly Dedicated. His first 2 mixtapes. Kendrick is one of the best young artists out today, and one of the best lyricists ever, not only from California, but ever.

If you think different your head doesn't work right or you're just hating on him and have never actually listened to his songs.

Also, he was already literally crowned King of the West Coast by Snoop Dogg and Dr. Dre. As for saying he's King of New York. You clearly didn't catch the bar as while he might have been speaking literally just to rile people up(despite the fact that he actually gets more record plays in New York than most New York rappers), it was an allusion to Biggie calling himself the King of NY, and therefore comparing himself to Biggie.

As well as the movie King of NY where Chris Walken murders all of his competition with no remorse, even though he knew most of them. The same thing Kendrick is doing.

LeonBuco666
Best lyricists ever?
Awwww hell no! Im not even wasting my time with you, you dont know real hip hop/rap, no "rap" artist today, the majority are Not rappers
Lamar, drake, asap rocky, lil wayne, nicki minaj, lil sean, lil jon etc
Not lyricists, pop artists, your head is definately not straight. And snoop dogg and dre? They sold out a while ago, so them saying that doesnt surprise me.
Lamar does NOT come close to the likes of GZA, Raekwon, GFK, Eminem, Krs-one, Big Daddy Kane, Common, LL cool J, canibus, RZA, Redman, Pac, Biggie, Ice Cube, Mc Ren, Rakim, Nas, Scarface, Black Rob, Warren G, Nate Dogg(Lyrically)
Please dont come to me telling me lamar is one of the best "rappers-lyricists" ever, and before you start going, "but dre said" no, **** dre, he didnt even write his own lyrics as for snoop, guys lost beef to eazy e, an hes worse than dre for not writing his own shit.
Please dont come at me with this new school vs old school shit.
Gawd, lol, "lamar is one of the best lyricists, not just west coast, but ever!"
Hahahahahaha you gotta be smoking crack.

KingD19
You just proved that not only do you not know anything about comics or movies, but music either. Tsk tsk tsk.

LeonBuco666
Originally posted by KingD19
You just proved that not only do you not know anything about comics or movies, but music either. Tsk tsk tsk. I know enough about comics, a lot about movies and more than enough than you about music please, stop embarrasing yourself, lol, you proved you know nothing of hip hop, qhen you said lamar was one of the greats laughing out loud laughing out loud laughing out loud

Darth Martin
Lol at this troll saying Kendrick Lamar is wack. Ignorance.

Based
Oh hipsters.

LeonBuco666
im not a troll, but you guys have bad taste, bad judgement on what makes a good rapper. hip/hop an rap is dead, all hip hop artists today are pop artist and they make me sick.

Wei Phoenix
Kendrick Lamar, Ab-Soul hell the whole TDE are some of the only good rappers left rising up. Chance is alright, but DOOM is still the king.

KingD19
TDE/Black Hippy are monsters.

LeonBuco666
Kmc has some of the best debaters and users ive come across ive got mad respect for you guys, but rap is really not your thing if you consider lamar to be a great, lol or good lol

Darth Martin
And your definition of good would be.....?

Wei Phoenix
So Kendrick's verse in that BET Cypher, is he still trash Leon?

KingD19
One of the best cypher verses ever.

Darth Martin
GkFoDrGrKoM

http://cdn.chud.com/a/a5/900x900px-LL-a514bf4b_clapping.gif

KingD19
The joke's on Leon. As Kendick is bulletproof based on that massacre of everyone who ever doubted him, his non-belief means nothing.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by KingD19
The joke's on Leon. As Kendick is bulletproof based on that massacre of everyone who ever doubted him, his non-belief means nothing.

High five!

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/5nBvU6z.gif

LeonBuco666
My definition of good in this case would be, eminem's verse on renegade, a "Great" would be Nas with One Love, or The message, or Krs One, with Return of the boom bap, or maybe even, Bone Thugz n harmony with the cross roads, Pac with well, 1 or 2 of his albums, Big L put it on or ebonics, Ice cube amerikkkas most wanted or death certificate, geto boys mind playin tricks on me, GZA liquid swords, raekwons incarcerated scarfaces, Ghostface killah with Iron Maiden any of the wu tang albums, and singles........Lamar doesnt even compare you guys are either deluded, or just arent very lets say, well educated in Hip-Hop/Rap......Haha, lamar is a great hahahaha funny shit

Darth Martin
SpScHR13QJI
duavU5KzO3U
EwsEjzseESI
6xRerLLcJvY
3_eQbg8tuns

I could go on but if you don't like those it probably wouldn't help.

MF DELPH
Kendrick Lamar is solid. I wouldn't call him an all-time great yet. G.K.M.C was a solid major label debut. One of the better LPs I've heard in recent years (though, admittedly, there has been a predominance of bad releases in recent years). I personally wasn't feeling Section.80. Kendrick isn't even the best MC active, so to put him at the top of the mountain when cats like Nas, Blackthought, Elzhi or Phonte would eat his lunch while getting head from his wife doesn't sit well with me. What I do appreciate about Kendrick, however, is that with his success and maintstream exposure an emphasis on skill, substance, and lyricism is returning to the forefront of the genre in lieu of image/posturing/"swag". A big part of the issue in hip hop today, however, is the audience, which is something else Kendrick highlights. One of his biggest singles, Swimming Pools, is a cautionary song about over indulging in alcohol when socializing and getting swept up in peer pressure and the night life but it's been co-opted as a "turn up" anthem. The message in songs goes over a lot of the current audience's heads.

Darth Martin
The thing about him though is that he has the crossover appeal that those guys don't. I love Nas. I think he's the GOAT. Hell, I probably would say Life Is Good>GKMC but besides him those other rappers you mention get no shine.

Kendrick, while being incredibly dope, still is considered one of the top rappers mainstream-wise. Have to give him props for this. He hasn't sold out yet.

Look at Eminem. My favorite rapper of all time. Today, he's still technically as skilled as ever but his music has fallen dramatically. Kendrick is both technically skilled, as well as choosing good production all the while making great music as a result. He's just has that alpha male that awesome rappers like J. Cole and Big K.R.I.T. lack. He's ruling over the game with an iron fist to me.

Also, IMO Section 80 is the best thing Kendrick has.

LeonBuco666
The other rappers i mentioned get no shine? Shit.
Krs-one is a lyrical god
Nas is top 3 for obvious reasons
eminem is more skilled now than hes ever been, his production value has fell heavily tho i agree
Ice cube is probably one of the most skilled emcees to come from the west coast
Raekwon, gza, ghostface and Inspektah deck are overall top 10's easily
Rakim, nuff said
Rza's probably the best producer second only to dre
Big L has freestyles which shit on anything Lamar has done
Eminems whole infinite album > own anything lamar has done
Mos Def has more soul and presence than any other rapper ive heard
even deep underground artists like immortal technique are more skilled than lamar
Tupac wasnt a brilliant rapper that being said, he more of an impact than nearly every person mentioned on this thread albeit second to rakim.
biggie was incredibly skilled and had great flow
as far as being a GOAT lyricist goes or even GOAT rapper, Lamar just isnt on that level or even close to it... Props for lamar though, I like that hes trying to bring back that competitiveness back and that raw feel to hip/hop, his message is great but his skill isnt close to ANY of the guys ive mentioned, at all.

Darth Martin
Calm down. I was referring to this:
Originally posted by MF DELPH
Kendrick isn't even the best MC active, so to put him at the top of the mountain when cats like Nas, Blackthought, Elzhi or Phonte would eat his lunch while getting head from his wife doesn't sit well with me.

LeonBuco666
Nas & BlackThought >>>>>> Lamar

Darth Martin
From a career standpoint, yes, Nas is the GOAT. But, today, if both were to hop on a track together it's not like Nas would make Kendrick look retarded.

Did you even listen to the tracks I posted?

LeonBuco666
Originally posted by Darth Martin
From a career standpoint, yes, Nas is the GOAT. But, today, if both were to hop on a track together it's not like Nas would make Kendrick look retarded.

Did you even listen to the tracks I posted?
Yeah i did, and it doesnt impress me, im sorry but Nas far superior than Lamar in everyway and if they did hopnon a track together, i'd imagine nas would outshine Lamar the same way Eminem outshined Jay Z's entire album with one verse on one track...

Based
Nas couldn't even do shit on one of Jay Z's most mediocre albums. Please. He's great yes but he's never making Kendrick sound retarded

Darth Martin
Originally posted by LeonBuco666
Yeah i did, and it doesnt impress me, im sorry but Nas far superior than Lamar in everyway and if they did hopnon a track together, i'd imagine nas would outshine Lamar the same way Eminem outshined Jay Z's entire album with one verse on one track... Doesn't sound like your being very objective.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JKCmzLU8TbM/UWWbUKVxA8I/AAAAAAAAD4Q/hQ5KDSRZU90/s1600/suspicious.gif

Renegade is whole different subject but I swear Hov held his own. Two of the best verses I've ever heard him spit.

Originally posted by Based
Nas couldn't even do shit on one of Jay Z's most mediocre albums. Please. He's great yes but he's never making Kendrick sound retarded What are we talking about? Hope your not referring to BBC. Clearly wasn't giving any serious effort. God help you if you doubting Nas could slay Hov on wax right now.

LeonBuco666
Nas could leave jay z feeling like a vegetable with utter ease, and easily Kendrick,.

And Eminem outright made Hov look like a little girl. It was superbly woeful from Jay's standpoint.

Darth Martin
Disagree. Hov's verses really hit home to me. Flow wise I can see someone giving Em the edge but lyrically those are two of Jay-Z's more impressive verses.

Also, if you listened to those videos I posted objectively then you'd know Kendrick could definitely hold his own.

LeonBuco666
Em outshined Hov on renagade outright.

Also have you heard Kendricks verse on love game? Meh, he was okay, and I enjoyed listening to him, maybe its because he was on an eminem track, i duno lol, but yeah, he done alright there but Em was much much better and imho, his skill is as good as its ever been, i dont understand everyones problem

The thing is, hes a 40 year old guy now, its 2013....like Shady said himself, there are no n'sync and there are no backstreet boys no more for him to call out, he doesnt need to diss his mom, kim or any of his ex's any more because hes matured, and so has his Writing.

People still expect him to be writing and producing shit like 'fack' and there the kind of people who think hes slipping, even though that track was literally a bunch of noise which wasnt takem serious by Em himself. He's a Rap God.
Think about the different categories.....
Lyricism.... Listen to Infinite...i dont think ive ever seen someone rhyme so many multi-syllable words in a single sentence contiually for 3 and a half minutes and give it great subject and matter. His word play is incredible and his lame lines are also still quite amusing like ---"i can piss a happy meal off" lol
story telling --- Stan & lose yourself are easily two of the best story telling songs ive ever heard...slick rick is untouchable in this department though.
Flow ---- near perfect.
Beats --- well recently its gone downhill, but it doesnt bother me cos id rather listen to the writing than a decent beat.
Battle rapping (diss songs) -- ICP, Ja rule, Jermaine, canibus, everlast??? These guys all got destroyed by Em, careers got ended tbh
Freestyling --- well hes brilliant, not the best but its still superb,

Kendrick held his own though, il give him that...but he still cant touch Em imo

Darth Martin
I thought Kendrick's verse on Love Game was excellent. If you listen closely it seemed to me he was actually mimicking some of Eminem's earlier flows and sounds.

KingD19
Yeah. His Love Game verse was awesome. And I love the running theme on Sherane being a crazy *****.

Darth Martin
Kendrick held his own though, il give him that...but he still cant touch Em imo Right now? Are you serious? Did you listen to the videos I posted? GKMC/Section 80>>>MMLP 2

LeonBuco666
Yes im serious, he cant touch eminem.
His line 'thats acronym and a metaphor for ya, i deserve a medal for all the ways i adore ya"
Was brilliant tho, although Em killed that track, Kendrick done alright.

Darth Martin
Em had so many corny lines on his last two solo efforts though. If you honestly and objectively listened to those six tracks I posted on the last page.......

Technically, Marshall is still as skilled as ever. But his delivery, production, subject matter, and overall music direction are clearly inferior at this point to Kendrick.

LeonBuco666
His delivery and his direction are far better than kendricks....Em is superior to Kendrick in all fronts but i do agree that his production & subject matter fall below kendrick nowadays.

I was never expecting Headlights....Not in a million years

Darth Martin
You just contradicted yourself.

LeonBuco666
When

Darth Martin
His delivery and his direction are far better than kendricks....Em is superior to Kendrick in all fronts but i do agree that his production & subject matter fall below kendrick nowadays.

You conclude with Eminem is superior "on all fronts" yet admit K.Dot does some things better.

His delivery is not better. Since the Forever remix Marshall has been screaming on damn near every song and its quite annoying. Before then, he had the damn Arabian accent on Relapse(which I've grown to accept over the screaming anyday). Kendrick's delivery is one of the things what sets him apart from alot of his peers.

Which direction are you referring to? I'm talking about musical direction. Kendrick produces cohesive, concept albums which have been hailed(for the most part) by critics and fans alike as original and refreshing. The last one, GKMC, was pretty much declared an instant modern classic upon its release.

You don't hear him doing corny lines, making wack songs, etc. He's clearly just a better artist at the moment. It's his era. Nothing to be ashamed of. Eminem is still my all-time favorite emcee and in his prime (99-02) anyone would be hardpressed to match him. But right now, despite technically being as impressive as ever from a skill standpoint(rhyme schemes, multis, etc.), he's clearly not making music up to par with his earlier self.

LeonBuco666
Yes, I know he isnt I never said he was better now than his was in his prime 96-02
Relapse was absolutely fantastic, IMO better than anything K.Dot has done.... Im sorry but i guess its just your own opinion, which differs greatly from mine.

Darth Martin
Section 80/GKMC>Relapse.

Nice try, though. Relapse is criminally underrated and one of the better albums to release the last few years.

KingD19
It seems that you're willfully ignoring Kendrick's skills in an effort to downplay him. I'm not saying that's what you're actually doing. But for someone who said he's listened to the stuff we've talked about, and for you to still claim he's not that good. You've got to either be not hearing it or something like that.

LeonBuco666
I blatantly said before hes good, just not as anywhere good as Em now, or 10 years ago.

Darth Martin
Have you listened to Section 80 or GKMC?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.