If person A has 100 times more money than person B

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Archaeopteryx
Is person A, as a general rule, 100 times happier than person B?

Dolos
Think of it this way: If person B is $100,000 in debt, than person A needs to come up with one thousand dollars to get out of debt.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Archaeopteryx

No. There are studies that show that there is not much increase in happiness after a certain limit of wealth (US middle class wealth about) is attained.

Though, I am parroting this popsci fact like a good little sheep, cause I have no idea how they define happiness...

Archaeopteryx
Originally posted by Dolos
Think of it this way: If person B is $100,000 in debt, than person A needs to come up with one thousand dollars to get out of debt.

Your reply is not relevant to the question the thread is about. I can be millions in debt but perfectly happy knowing a good bankruptcy lawyer will help me not have to pay.

Mindset
Originally posted by Dolos
Think of it this way: If person B is $100,000 in debt, than person A needs to come up with one thousand dollars to get out of debt. Having money or the lack thereof =/= Being in debt.

You're discussing a related but different scenario.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
No. There are studies that show that there is not much increase in happiness after a certain limit of wealth (US middle class wealth about) is attained.

Though, I am parroting this popsci fact like a good little sheep, cause I have no idea how they define happiness...

It was much higher than that. But there was diminishing returns after a certain point.

Edit - Nope, I'm wrong, too.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/science-money-makes-you-happier-2013-04-30

It would appear you just get happier and happier but I am certain you get less happier with more more than a previous increment. No?

Mindset
Only the insane are happy.

Oliver North
the issue is really how you define happiness followed by what Bardock said.

Mindset
Oliver, are you happy?

Oliver North
Originally posted by Mindset
Oliver, are you happy?

when I drink?

Symmetric Chaos

I doubt it.

Consider: A has $1; B has $0.01
An essentially meaningless difference in net worth.

Consider: A has $100,000,000; B has $1,000,000
Both are extraordinarily wealth and you'd expect the marginal value of the extra money to be quite low.

Consider: A has $100,000; B has $1000
Here is the approximate range where it would make sense for A to be much happier than B.

I'm not sure exactly how happiness is measured but I've seen example of scales where people were asked to rate their happiness from 1 to 10 and those surveys showed little to no difference due to things like wealth.

Lord Lucien
v3SyhT1Gl38

Bardock42
Originally posted by Symmetric Chaos
I doubt it.

Consider: A has $1; B has $0.01
An essentially meaningless difference in net worth.

Consider: A has $100,000,000; B has $1,000,000
Both are extraordinarily wealth and you'd expect the marginal value of the extra money to be quite low.

Consider: A has $100,000; B has $1000
Here is the approximate range where it would make sense for A to be much happier than B.

I'm not sure exactly how happiness is measured but I've seen example of scales where people were asked to rate their happiness from 1 to 10 and those surveys showed little to no difference due to things like wealth.

If you rate out of ten (1-10 with natural numbers) no one can possibly be 100 times more happy than anyone else, so that would be a no by default

Originally posted by dadudemon
It was much higher than that. But there was diminishing returns after a certain point.

Edit - Nope, I'm wrong, too.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/science-money-makes-you-happier-2013-04-30

It would appear you just get happier and happier but I am certain you get less happier with more more than a previous increment. No?

Yeah, well you can find studies for everything right?

dadudemon
Yeah, well you can find studies for everything right?

Peer reviewed and results duplicated studies by unbiased 3rd parties who have no interest in duplicating or rejecting the results?

awesome

Yeah, those types of validation are certinaly rare to come by. sad

Bardock42
Peer reviewed and results duplicated studies by unbiased 3rd parties who have no interest in duplicating or rejecting the results?

awesome

Yeah, those types of validation are certinaly rare to come by. sad

lol, they really aren't.

Mindset
Originally posted by Oliver North
when I drink? thumb up

Symmetric Chaos

They describe the relationship as being log-linear which means it slows down as you go further along it. I'm not sure the results make any sense as reported, though.

If the highest rating is "Very Happy" then when you reach a point where 100% of people report being "Very Happy" (which they did) then you've reached the limits of your scale. Without a more detailed scale it's ridiculous to say that it goes up without measure.

Mindship
Is person A, as a general rule, 100 times happier than person B? That has not been my experience. At best he (or she) is a bit happier when it comes to managing the ordinary stuff, like having the cash to pay bills. However, when it comes to self-worth, self-esteem as related to quantity of cash, he/she is likely to be more insecure, anxious and frustrated.

No one gets out alive.

siriuswriter
As long as person B's basic needs are met, according to Maslow's Hierarchy I see no reason why A and B can't have the same amount of happiness.

Master Han

Most happiness studies don't have mathematical scales...

Shakyamunison

No. Money cannot buy happiness.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Shakyamunison

Google says you're wrong.

But there are diminishing returns.

Also, I'm a broken record.

Astner
This is the reason I personally don't donate to charity.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Astner
This is the reason I personally don't donate to charity.

Also the sociopathy.

Astner
Also the sociopathy.
Sociopathy is no longer a diagnosable condition.

Bardock42
Sociopathy is no longer a diagnosable condition.

It is however a commonly used term for a diagnosable condition.

Astner
It is however a commonly used term for a diagnosable condition.
Right, that condition would be antisocial personality disorder. Haven't you been keeping up with the DSM?

Shakyamunison
Google says you're wrong.

But there are diminishing returns.

Also, I'm a broken record.

Google? That's like using wiki.

Bardock42
Right, that condition would be antisocial personality disorder. Haven't you been keeping up with the DSM?

Marginally.

dadudemon
Google? That's like using wiki.

Let's forget about this discussion and take a shower, together.

Here is my shower:

http://i.imgur.com/9VViaQi.jpg

U rdy? embarrasment

Shakyamunison
Let's forget about this discussion and take a shower, together.

Here is my shower:

http://i.imgur.com/9VViaQi.jpg

U rdy? embarrasment

laughing No thanks.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.