Who is the better Martial Arts trainer?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

byrdgang21
Rank these guys in order from best to worst as martial arts trainers.

Captain America
Batman
Ogun
Stick
Master Splinter

pain100
Captain America maybe

Bouboumaster
Thanos

Odekahn
Captain America
Master Splinter
Batman

Philosophía
Anyone putting Captain America above Batman in being a better martial arts trainer should slap themselves.

Odekahn

Philosophía
Originally posted by Odekahn
It's not all about who has the most skilled student, patience and teaching methods are important too. Cap has the edge there imo. I'm not looking at the individuals for their martial arts skills, only their methods of instruction. Method of instruction is subjective. If Batman being an ******* produces better results than Captain America being a nice trainer, then Batman's output is objectively better, thus he is a better trainer as far as the quality of his trainees.

Simple.

Odekahn

Jynocidus
Batman

Philosophía
Originally posted by Odekahn
Yes AND no. Think of the movie Karate Kid. Who was the better instructor, Myagi or the leader of the Cobra dojo? Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing Batman to the Latter, it's just an extreme example of my thought process.

I'm an actual martial artist so I've seen my fair share of both types of teachers. I think you mistake harsh training for bad character. Nightwing is one of the most well-adjusted guys in the DCU, and Batman picked and trained him just after his parents died right in front of him. He is not the leader of the Cobra dojo. But I don't think that's what this is about.

Batman's students are better from a purely fighting, martial arts aspect - which is what I suspect the thread is asking.

pym-ftw
Bucky could beat any individual member of the Bat-Family.

Odekahn

ares834
Originally posted by pym-ftw

erm

Cassandra Cain says hi.

Odekahn
I guess I see Cap more like Obiwan and Bats like Vader. Both's students are entirely capable, and Vaders might be the better fighters, but I just don't see Bruce's methods of teaching as... Healthy. Lol

pym-ftw
Originally posted by ares834
erm

Cassandra Cain says hi.
The one not trained by Batman? thumb up Legit argument

She's faster, but he is stronger. I'd say at worst its a 6/10 difference.

DarkSaint85
Yeah, but Cap has lost one student.

Bats has lost Jason, Stephanie and Damian.

Cap ftw of the two.

Wei Phoenix
I don't think this thread is about who is more patient or kinder. If you go to an MA teacher its because you want to learn how to be a better fighter. If Batman trains Bob X and Captain America trains Bob Y with the same amount of allowed time, say they take the same breaks and whatnot and the only difference is training methods then I believe Bruce's student would come out on top. Once again it's not about who had the most fun learning or who had the easier time. You go to a teacher to learn, not to have a jolly good time.

Odekahn
Originally posted by Wei Phoenix
I don't think this thread is about who is more patient or kinder. If you go to an MA teacher its because you want to learn how to be a better fighter. If Batman trains Bob X and Captain America trains Bob Y with the same amount of allowed time, say they take the same breaks and whatnot and the only difference is training methods then I believe Bruce's student would come out on top. Once again it's not about who had the most fun learning or who had the easier time. You go to a teacher to learn, not to have a jolly good time.

You go to learn lots of things. Martial Arts isn't ONLY about fighting.
It's a way of life. Bruce's way may be more effective temporarily in combat, but a vengeful, dark life isn't a healthy way to live.

The topic is to rank them by their martial arts training.

ODG

Uriel005
Can't believe Stick is getting passed over here....

ODG
Originally posted by Uriel005
Can't believe Stick is getting passed over here.... I voted for him at least. sneer

Q99
I think I'd go Stick as well. Daredevil was pretty high level from pretty early in his career.

Splinter gets props for training a fighting unit more-so than individuals.

---

Hm, one matter I'm thinking of is a lot of Bruce's students had co-trainers. Tim trained some under Shiva which marked a major milestone for him as a martial artist (though granted Bruce was more important). Steph under Cass (heck.. come to think of it, didn't Stephanie have more time under Cass than under Bruce? The time training under Bruce was more intense and constant, but still, she had a foundation before then).

Damian, of course, had training under Talia and then Dick before Bruce started with him.

ODG
^ I was under the impression that Dick tried to rein in Damian's skills, rather than add to them. Damian was taught to kill and use lethal force, after all. I do recall Damian learning certain skills from Bruce, like the pressure point to forehead move, but it was much the same with him. Bruce didn't seem to really add too much that already wasn't there. He was just trying to temper it.

TrevorPhillipss
Wasn't Daredevil also trained by Izo?

Q99
One very good one is, of course, David Cain.

His students are Cass, Mad Dog Cain (who's a bit below Cass but still well outmatched League known assassins like Shrike, and his fight with Cass was basically a draw), and Bruce Wayne

Originally posted by ODG
^ I was under the impression that Dick tried to rein in Damian's skills, rather than add to them. Damian was taught to kill and use lethal force, after all.

That's not 'reining in,' that's adding more options, less lethal ones but still expanding his skill set.

Yea.

RedX1852
my Dude Cap for me and in a DC/Marvel Crossover they Stalemated Each other even with Batmans "127 styles of Martial Arts"

ODG
Originally posted by Q99
That's not 'reining in,' that's adding more options, less lethal ones but still expanding his skill set. If you have proof Dick taught him new moves to replace his lethal moves, by all means, post it. I recall him lecturing him on not hitting as hard. Not hitting in a different way. I haven't read their time together as a duo in a while, but I remember no such thing.

Warlord
Stick. Matt own

MF DELPH
I'd say Stick or Splinter.

Added bonus to Splinter for the manner by which he actually learned his martial skills, as a rat inexplicably mimicking the moves of his owner, and was able to grasp those abilities with such accuracy and aptitude that when he was later mutated into a humanoid rat he was able to train 4 mutate turtles to become master martial artists as well, to a level where they win inter-dimensional MMA tournaments.

dial J for Josh
Originally posted by pym-ftw

I think that Nightwing would be a good matchup.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.