Alien: Isolation

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Kazenji
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/10/21/alien-isolation-trademark-suggests-fox-hasnt-given-aliens-games/

Kazenji
Ripley's had a daughter....no expression

found out its in a deleted scene for Aliens

hooray for more retcon.

Nemesis X
So the developer's a mystery huh? Well after Colonial Marines, I think it's safe to say it's not Gearbox. There's no way they're getting a second chance after all that controversy but should they really, next E3 should be pretty entertaining. "We promise you what you're looking at right now is legitimate gameplay footage this time. We swear."

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kazenji
Ripley's had a daughter....no expression

found out its in a deleted scene for Aliens

hooray for more retcon.

Her daughter died during the 57 years Ripley's away so something could happen. It's not that implausible.

-Pr-
Someone didn't watch the special edition.

But yeah, not sure how I feel about this, tbh. At least it's not gearbox.

Ushgarak
I corrected the thread title to avoid confusion.

Smasandian
There is a rumour that this game is Creative Assembly's Alien game they were rumoured to be making.

-Pr-
I'd heard that too. I'm cautious, but I still hold out hope for a decent alien game.

Smasandian
The last good Alien game was Alien Vs Predator 2.

But I did hear the Alien: Infestation for the DS was pretty good.

-Pr-
I don't know, I liked the Alien V Predator game from a few years back. It wasn't as good as AVP 2, obviously, but I still think it did many things right, and did a great job of building an authentic atmosphere to me.

Kazenji
Originally posted by -Pr-
Someone didn't watch the special edition.

Maybe i have just forgot some of it.

Smasandian
Well, I agree that using her daughter is slightly strange. From the Aliens: Special Edition, I didn't get a single sense that she met up with Alien at some point.....

But it is an issue. It makes no sense why they use her character for this game. Does anybody care?

The star of the show is the alien, not if your playing Ripley's daughter. The reason AvP2 was such a great game because it had nothing to do with the film series (aside from references).

Kazenji
Had a look at Creative Assembly earlier they haven't had great success outside of their Total War games

who knows might change with this one.

Smasandian
Is still an rumour that Creative Assembly is doing it.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Smasandian
Well, I agree that using her daughter is slightly strange. From the Aliens: Special Edition, I didn't get a single sense that she met up with Alien at some point.....

But it is an issue. It makes no sense why they use her character for this game. Does anybody care?

The star of the show is the alien, not if your playing Ripley's daughter. The reason AvP2 was such a great game because it had nothing to do with the film series (aside from references).

One of the rumours is that it's an FPS where you'll fight humans more than aliens for the majority of the game.

If that's true, you'd think they'd have learned something from CM ie, let us shoot some ****ing aliens and stop trying to be like COD.

Smasandian
Hmm, interesting.

From what I read, I thought the game would be similar to Amnesia and etc....

-Pr-
A horror game? I'd be in to that.

Smasandian
I think a lot of people would.

According to Kazenji, it would be horror/stealth against one single Alien.

The issue is that the alien in Alien is not as scary as it used to be, due to all the other games/movies treating them as easy prey.

-Pr-
I can see that. I think that after the first three movies, their stock dropped rapidly, and the AVP stuff didn't exactly help matters.

Horror/stealth would be fun. An Alien is supposed to be terrifying, so i'd like to see it.

Smasandian
So would I.

Tzeentch._
I just don't see a single alien working.

They'd be better off just going the Silent Hill route.

"They're aliens attacking the colony! Here, here's a broom if you want to fight them off!"

Would be much more terrifying.

Smasandian
It depends on what you find is terrifying.

If the created the Alien as a bad ass, similar to the first movie then I think it would still work. It would have be designed where you get by the Alien by the skin of your teeth.

Nemesis X
JkfpCZeGyOQ

jinXed by JaNx
As excited as I am to play this game i'm quite skeptical. I like the idea that the developers are going for a more survival horror route but I don't how how well that will work with only one, Alien in a 8+ hour game. As suspenseful as the game play may be it doesn't seem like there will be much mystery to go along with it. I think the Alien franchise is best suited for a game that combines both, survival and full throttle action. Combined with good writing and computer AI you can have sequences where the Aliens are disposable whilst still being threatening. I'm excited to give this game a try though and am hopeful. It's been proven that when given time and care the Aliens can be a great game franchise.

Smasandian
I think the idea of having an action oriented Alien game is kind of passe.

I like the fresh idea that CA is doing with this game and I'm hoping it turns out well.

Given the amount of FPS horror games like Outlast and Amensia, I think this could do well.

0mega Spawn
A survival horror with one alien is a perfect idea.
I mean seriously if a xeno attacked you right at this moment wtf would you do? unless you have a powerful firearms on hand.
The execution is whats important in a game scenario

Arachnid1

I like the fresh idea that CA is doing with this game and I'm hoping it turns out well.

Given the amount of FPS horror games like Outlast and Amensia, I think this could do well. Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
A survival horror with one alien is a perfect idea.
I mean seriously if a xeno attacked you right at this moment wtf would you do? unless you have a powerful firearms on hand.
The execution is whats important in a game scenario

Agreed. I love the idea of one lethal alien. I don't want futuristic minigun to tear through 100. I want to be absolutely terrified of the idea of being stalked by one unstoppable terror.

Tzeentch
A surival horror with one alien is a perfect idea.

But is it a perfect idea for 8 hours?

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Tzeentch
A surival horror with one alien is a perfect idea.

But is it a perfect idea for 8 hours?

It worked for Amnesia. Granted there's more than one monster in that game but there's like only one in each level you have to avoid so the game may as well had only the one monster.

Smasandian
That's a good questions.

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows. Also, what about replay value, or other modes? Amensia was sold for $20 bucks while this game will probably be normal price.

I guess it will depend on how good the Alien AI is. If it's not scripted, it might be pretty damn awesome. This is the type of Alien game I want and if the reviews say its good, I'm totally buying it.

jinXed by JaNx

Given the amount of FPS horror games like Outlast and Amensia, I think this could do well.

I wasn't suggesting a full on action romp. You can have action in a movie or video game while still maintaining that sense of threat. The thing that makes horror work in any genre is the lack of safety but a proper pacing and combination of safe moments. I would use the recent, Colonial marines as an example but because I don't think there was ever a conscious decision in formula I will mention, AvP2. Much like the movie, Aliens, AvP2 possessed many instances of action in the marine campaign where it felt more like a survival horror than an action game. Using the idea of the Xenomorphs and the on screen examples it shouldn't be hard at all to make a threatening and even terrifying action game.

I'm still excited by this game and think it could be just what the franchise needs but i'm more excited to play the game just to see how they try to make this concept work. I personally can't think of many ways to make this concept be engaging enough for an eight hour game. Anytime you engage with the Alien early on in the game you know that you're going to escape and the Alien is going to live. With that said I can see the formula becoming monotonous if not done perfectly.

Kazenji
vrsdtWzCImk

COG Veteran
That's cool but why the hell was Prometheus so high tech when it takes place previous to the original Alien films?

Smasandian
Just because. For me, it's not really a big deal.

Kazenji
Ripley and the original crew of the Nostromo - voiced by the original cast - will be available as playable characters in DLC for Alien: Isolation

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/07/09/alien-isolation-reunites-original-cast-of-alien-but-only-as-pre-order-dlc/

Tzeentch
Originally posted by COG Veteran
That's cool but why the hell was Prometheus so high tech when it takes place previous to the original Alien films? Because the movie was made liek 30 years after Alien?

Nemesis X
Ripley and the original crew of the Nostromo - voiced by the original cast - will be available as playable characters in DLC for Alien: Isolation

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2014/07/09/alien-isolation-reunites-original-cast-of-alien-but-only-as-pre-order-dlc/

Sega can't respect people's understandable uncertainty given the Alien games with their track record of being bad and so they pull this shit knowing some of us will be waiting for reviews first.

Kazenji
Again how is Sega even making this game?

thought it was creative assembly.

Nemesis X
Again how is Sega even making this game?

thought it was creative assembly.

Creative Assembly is the developer. It's the publisher that decides what will be the pre-order bonus.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Creative Assembly is the developer. It's the publisher that decides what will be the pre-order bonus.

I'm not following?

what's a pre-order bonus have to do with developing a game.

Nemesis X
I'm not following?

what's a pre-order bonus have to do with developing a game.

Now you're the one not making any sense.

Smasandian
Hahaha.

Your just pissed because you want it and you got burned with Alien Colonial Marines.

Even though if you were smart, you would of known that Alien: Colonial Marines looked like shit before it was released.

Kazenji
From now on i don't trust Gearbox to save games that have been stuck in development hell.

Smasandian
Aside from Borderlands/Borderlands 2, Gearbox has been alright. There Brother in Arms series were very original when released but if you play it again, there just alright.

For instance, the graphics are subpar (the textures are god awful), the scripting is crap and there is a few problems with the game. Compare that to Half Life 2, which was released in 2004, and it still stands up.

Kazenji
Been reading they have a new IP in the works called Battleborn.

Nemesis X
Hahaha.

Your just pissed because you want it and you got burned with Alien Colonial Marines.

Even though if you were smart, you would of known that Alien: Colonial Marines looked like shit before it was released.

I never said I bought Colonial Marines, jerkass.

Kazenji
Only thing worth getting from Alien Colonial Marines is that Statue from the pre-order

and then sell the game.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I never said I bought Colonial Marines, jerkass.

Then why are you bitching?

Two completely different games made by two completely different development teams with completely different origins so comparing the situation with Alien: Colonial Marines is not important.

FinalAnswer
Creative Assembly's last work (Rome 2) was/is a buggy mess that didn't live up to what was promised and has laughable AI.

They may not be Gearbox, but there is definitely reason to be cautious about this game, as there is certainly a good chance this could turn into another Colonial Marines.

Smasandian
That is true and one of the reason why I'm hesitant to pre-order.

I do feel that it's more unlikely to have the same problems as Colonial Marines because the development seems to be much different. Gearbox took the game and tried to get a quick buck. Creative Assembly has been designing this from the start and while Total War games have always been buggy, this is a much different game/genre and I do feel that it won't be as bad as the launch of Rome 2.

Nemesis X
Then why are you bitching?

Because I was anticipating it for a few years before it came out?

jinXed by JaNx
Hahaha.

You mean the stunning graphics and gameplay that were revealed at E-3 as in game footage?

-Pr-
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/jimquisition/9539-The-Poison-of-Pre-Order-Culture

Lek Kuen
So does this mean you have finally come around to see the light?

-Pr-
that pre-orders are shit?

Honestly, I may not even order DA3.

Lek Kuen
Yes.

For too long you have fallen victim to the darkness of the industry, now only DA3 stands between you and your soul

-Pr-
lol, I can count on one hand the amount of games I've actually pre-ordered. Now, if i'd had more money, there would have been shit i'd preordered, but I never got around to it.

It won't stop me buying a collectors edition, though. if I have reason to buy those, I will.

Lek Kuen
If getting refunds for games wasn't such a hassle I wouldn't hate pre orders as much as I do. But they are because **** the consumer

-Pr-
Yep.

I have no problem dropping the extra on a collectors if they have it in stock, but im getting to the point where I can't trust any company anymore.

Dragon Age 3 looks good, but so did Colonial Marines. I am so lucky I didn't buy that shit.

jinXed by JaNx
yeah, there is absolutely no reason to preorder shit. The preorder collectibles will be available a few weeks later at play and trade stores or online for pennies. The only things i pre-order are sport games like hockey because i know in my area, they will be sold out at all of the stores for the first few days of release and that is one game that i'd prefer to not wait a couple days to get started in playing. Seriously though, Sports titles are the only games that I've come across to be sold out from all surrounding area stores. The only other game i can remember having trouble finding when it first released was GTA-3

Kazenji
I still preorder games and depending on what comes with them might go with it

but there have been some which i've skipped, Such as the one for the Resident Evil 6 collectors edition....i think it came with bunch of emblems, Art Book & hoodie

some of the pre-orders are a waste of space.

Smasandian
I don't pre-order anymore.

I used to when I lived in Ottawa and didn't have a car. It was around the time when RE4 was released and to get a game took a few hours. Unlike today, gaming wasn't as big as it used to be and only a few stores had them so pre-ordering was almost essential.

I remember seeing the reviews for RE4 and saying it wasn't like the previous games (which I hated) and it was getting 10's across the board, I wanted it. Went down to the store in the downtown mall, asked for it and they were like, "hah, yeah right". I then took a bus to another EB along the major transitway route and got the last copy. That doesn't happen anymore.

I only pre-order the day before if I feel like getting the bonuses. In a lot of cases, the reviews are out so you can make the decision if you want it or not. Also, a lot of the time, there is enough videos/previews from a lot of sources to give you the idea on the quality of the game. As well, for some reason, the EB I go to usually gives you the copy with the pre-order bonuses anyways. With Watch Dogs, I got them all because that's all the copies they had.

Kazenji
Pre-order the game that close to the day?

i've never done it that close to the day, I've usually made my mind up before then.

Smasandian
Just to get the pre-order bonus.

I sometimes pre-order the day before. In most cases, reviews are up and I have made the decision to do so.

Kazenji
When its a Rockstar game you do it day 1 because you know that they'll deliver the goods.

LeonBuco666
When its a Rockstar game you do it day 1 because you know that they'll deliver the goods. Always.

Smasandian
Yes, there is some developers that I will always expect top quality. Rockstar, Valve, Bioware, Irrational games and such.

I still till the release date gets close. It doesn't matter if its when first announced or 3 weeks before though. Red Dead Redemption is a prime example on a game I had to go across the city to find. I didn't think it was going to be great (some previews/stories thought the game was not going to be good) but when it was released and reviews were amazing, I wanted it. Tried to find it in EB and Future Shop (Best Buy equivalent in Canada) and all sold out. I eventually bought it from a video rental store.

-Pr-
I honestly don't trust any developer to be worth pre-ordering games from without seeing something concrete first.

I would have said people like Bioware and Rockstar in the past, but those days are gone due to ridiculous money grabbing and bad ports. Not saying I won't buy their games, but I just don't have the confidence in them to preorder right now.

Just me though.

Smasandian
True. Every developer can make a dud occasionally.

-Pr-
I am honestly super-psyched for Dragon Age 3. I can't wait.

There's still that part of me that doesn't want to encourage the kind of shit we got with "From Ashes" with ME3 though, so I'm hesitant to put down money early.

Even if the game is good, I don't want to be the kind of person who enables that kind of behaviour.

Lek Kuen
Yeah, things were fine when it was something meh like a gun or a skin. But that bs withholding core content for early buyers is dumb as shit. Just a way to force them to be unable to find out if the game is good.

Smasandian
I agree that for Alien: Isolation does do that....

-Pr-
I don't mind DLC in general. I've bought DLC. I've actually spent more on it than I should, tbh.

That said, I don't like paying for something that should have been in the game in the first place. I don't even mind what they did with Shale in DAO, that whole "buy it new, get something free" kind of thing. she's fun to use, and has her own little story, but it doesn't actually impact the world or the story in any great way.

Seem to be getting off topic here though. my bad.

Smasandian
I don't mind DLC. In fact, I understand when developers work on it before the release of the game (knowing that it can take over a month to produce/ship the game before it hits retail) but this pre-order bonus seems to be a bit too much.

I don't mind "buy it new, get something for free" as well. Plenty other industries do the same thing. The only people who lose out are second hand purchasers. But that's like that in a lot of cases and not specifically the video game industry.

-Pr-
Yup, and if you really want to get it new to get the free stuff, all you have to do is wait a little while until it goes on sale. I own new copies of all the Mass Effect and Dragon Age games, and I haven't spent more than 20 for any of those copies.

One thing I can't stand is those cross-promotions though: "Buy a bottle of Doctor Pepper and get a free DLC code". No, **** you, I hate Dr. Pepper.

I didn't know about it at the time, but now, because DP isn't running the promotion anymore, I can't even use the codes I found online. I'm actually waiting on an email from EA about one of the items from those, to see if I can get them some other way.

Zack Fair
Saw some videos and this game has my interest.

Kazenji
Seen that this game has been getting at least a 9 out 10 for reviews.

Smasandian
Yeah, some people really enjoyed it and some thought it had issues.

From what I read from various reviews, the idea behind the game is solid and it's done well (aka the Alien being unpredictable and terrifying) and that the design of the game is ****ing awesome.

Some criticized the length and the "bad" checkpoint system.

I have so much shit to do (moving, kids, work) and still playing Mordor but I picked this up for the PC. Was going to get it for Xbox One but it's like $20 bucks more.

Smasandian
****ing awesome game so far.

I love how they mimic the first Alien extremely well. The sounds, the design and the overall feel is freaking great.

I haven't really been annoyed about the save system. I think it's a great idea to make it a manual checkpoint system so any encounters with the Alien are extremely intense. I will say that human enemies can be quite annoying so I can understand the criticism for the system. It works for the Alien because it makes the encounters with it feel like life or death. It works the complete opposite from Alien: Colonial Marines where Aliens were cannon fodder while this version creates a very, very scary Alien. But having to sneak around humans can be less satisfying and if you die from a gun, can be annoying.

But you still get freaked out because you don't want to lose all your progress. Maybe the developers could of allowed a minute amount of saves in case you need to replay sections over.

And SPOILERS but the first encounter with the Alien was pretty ****ing terrifying.

Overall, I hope this game does well because it's pretty damn cool. I'm glad I bought it.

FinalAnswer
Started this up last night, haven't gotten far.

Nice pretty immersive environments though.

Smasandian
Yeah, the environments are stellar. Really immersive, especially the lighting effects. I also like how you can change the film grain to a certain point (instead of just off/on) because it does add a bit of nostalgia to the mix.

I do find the Alien animations to be alright but I haven't really faced it yet. The best though is the sound design. It's extremely unnerving hearing the Alien thump around the airducts. The sounds are so crisp and having Goldsmiths creepy score is terrifying.

Impediment
I'm glad to read some positive critiques about this game. A lot of the reviews I've read and heard have been brutally scathing.

Smasandian
Hmm, not sure why.

Some reviews have been ok but I haven't seen any horrible rated reviews. PC Gamer gave 93% but the game is almost tailored made from them to like it.

The biggest criticism is the length. A lot of reviewers think the game is too long. I haven't enough info to say that's the case but I can understand it. Considering the intense nature of the game, I can see a large length being too much.

Smasandian
Just finished a section where the Alien is ****ing dogging me.

Goddamn scary. It was constantly going around the area while I was hiding and shitting myself. I was constantly checking my motion tracker which gives a readout on how close the Alien is. Eventually, it goes up into the vents which then I start sneaking around.

But what makes it great is the excellent sound design. You can clearly hear the Alien jump into a vent, or walking around and if you have 5.1 surround system, you can hear what direction it is coming from. If it wasn't for that, I would of been ****ed numerous times.

As well, the developers nailed the Alien tail. It slithers around and totally reminds me of the movies. I was hiding under a desk and was looking in the opposite direction (which started when I heard the Alien drop down and move quickly in my direction) and I turned around and could only see the tail move by me and casually hit a fire extinguisher. It wobbled a bit. For some reason, I think that's the coolest thing.

But the best thing is that I slowly sneaked to an elevator which usually means safe haven. The Alien popped out of the vent, saw me and ran towards me. I was like, "oh ****, oh ****, oh ****, where is that ****ing button I need to push". I saw this green screen thing and was trying to get the ****ing prompt to close the doors....I kept on trying to do it but eventually the Alien ****ing killed me.

I did it again but the Alien didn't show up. I realized I had to insert a card to allow the green button to be used. It took about 2-3 seconds to happen so I have a feeling I would of been dead anyways.

****ing awesome game.

FinalAnswer
Been taking my time with this game, in medical right now, I am pretty impressed so far, haven't been this spooked since the Kelion in Dead Space.

Nephthys
From what I've heard, you should turn the difficulty down to easy in Medical. It's supposed to be infuriatingly hard.

NemeBro
FA bought me this yesterday, will get started on it soon.

FinalAnswer
Originally posted by Nephthys
From what I've heard, you should turn the difficulty down to easy in Medical. It's supposed to be infuriatingly hard.

Playing it on hard, no ****s given. biscuits

ScreamPaste
Originally posted by NemeBro
FA bought me this yesterday, will get started on it soon. Happy birthday, bb.

Reflassshh
The first three hours are pretty hardcore. I

Anyone here has played the nostromo dlc? It's good?

Smasandian
I think Angry Joe said it was pretty cool but not really worth the price. It's not very long as well but they do have the original actors replaying their roles.

I still haven't finished yet but I ****ing love that. The atmosphere/art design is absolutely incredible and they just nailed the vibe of the movie. I'm hoping this get mentioned because it would be really, really hard to make a game based on an iconic and important film but be it's own thing.

I still don't understand the criticism about length and save system. If they had autosaves, it would ruin the game. It would make the alien less of a threat. As well, the length is fine. There is some backtracking but it make sense considering it's a small space station....and there is memorable sequences that livens up the pace.

Great ****ing game. I don't know how reviewers could criticize this game so harshly yet give Destiny a good ranking.

Nephthys
If the same guys that made this made a Thing game that would be pretty damn cool.

Smasandian
Yeah it would. That would be pretty damn interesting mechanic where you have the see if somebody is the crazy alien or not.

Could be kind of cool.

NemeBro
I think Angry Joe said it was pretty cool but not really worth the price. It's not very long as well but they do have the original actors replaying their roles.

I still haven't finished yet but I ****ing love that. The atmosphere/art design is absolutely incredible and they just nailed the vibe of the movie. I'm hoping this get mentioned because it would be really, really hard to make a game based on an iconic and important film but be it's own thing.

I still don't understand the criticism about length and save system. If they had autosaves, it would ruin the game. It would make the alien less of a threat. As well, the length is fine. There is some backtracking but it make sense considering it's a small space station....and there is memorable sequences that livens up the pace.

Great ****ing game. I don't know how reviewers could criticize this game so harshly yet give Destiny a good ranking. Destiny has overall worse reviews than this game though.

Polygon, one of the review sites criticized for its harshness on this game, actually still gave it a higher ranking than Destiny.

/ shrugs

NemeBro
Just started this game.

The lead writer is apparently Dan Abnett, who fans of the Warhammer 40,000 universe should be familiar with. As would some Marvel comics fans and shit, I guess.

Neat.

Smasandian
Originally posted by NemeBro
Destiny has overall worse reviews than this game though.

Polygon, one of the review sites criticized for its harshness on this game, actually still gave it a higher ranking than Destiny.

/ shrugs

Interesting.

http://www.videogamer.com/videos/alien_isolation_the_american_patch.html

And then from IGN - http://ca.ign.com/videos/2014/10/08/alien-isolation-review-discussion

It's just a score (they marked as 5.9) but it just seems that extremely low for a game like this...whatever. It's a ****ing awesome experience and while Outcast and Amensia are very similar the art design and Alien AI makes completely enjoyable and worth it.

NemeBro
I'd agree that a 5.9 seems really low thus far. Liking it.

Lek Kuen
Half of reviewers are trying to with more harsh stricter guidelines on getting scores 7 and up and trying to make reviewers more relative with 5 as actually average game instead of a crap fest. While the other half is still saying anything good is 7-8 and below are games with broken parts and such.

So things get weird

Smasandian
Then they should retroactively lower the scores within the stricter guidelines.

I would agree that 5 should be "average" but for many, many years it has been labelled as a shit game.

For instance, IGN rated Alien: Colonial Marines as 4.5 which would mean that Alien Isolation is a bit better. That's ****ing garbage.

I guess my issue is that the criticism about Isolation is the length and difficulty/save point. The length is not that bad. It's a bit too long but so is Bioshock. The save point system is a perfect way of doing it for this game. Remove that and add autosaves and quicksaves and you ruin the vibe of the game. The Alien is terrifying because of the unpredictable AI and the consequences of dying. IGN basically stated the game is difficult because of unpredictability and they couldn't figure out a pattern to get around the Alien. They also compared to other stealth games as well....

Reflassshh
This game is f*cking awesome.

Tonight at 00:00 im going to start my second playthrough and later see Trick r' Treat again.

Arachnid1
I just started this game yesterday. Pretty good so far.

jinXed by JaNx
I've been playing this game for a couple days now. I think its a great game that needs to be played by anyone that enjoys a good single player story. I can tell already that what this game lacks in gameplay it makes up for in atmosphere and story telling. The over all game play does leave something to be desired. Constantly feeling around in the dark and sneaking around, trial and error checkpoints, feel quaint at first but later become redundant. This, however, is forgivable because the story pacing is persistent and compelling. I cant say the same for the game play though. The pacing of the game play begins to feel monotonous. By this i mean, i found myself constantly doing the trial and error, load recent saves, to find the best outcome for my actions. However, as a gamer this has become accepted so i can't fault the game to much for that because at it's best, the game set your senses on high and get your blood pumping, but for casual fans of the franchise, this formula will become stale halfway through the game. Although, if you are a fan of the Alien franchise in the slightest, you owe it to yourself to buy and or rent this game. I'm five hours in and it's been a great ride so far. My biggest complaint is the lack of jumping and the alien sequences (cut-scenes) could be more monumental.

With all of this said, As an alien fan i have been enjoying this game extensively. I've only been playing it a few hours at a time. I've been trying to conserve my experience with it. Unlike, Colonial marines. I never got the sense that the developers spared any expense with what they were given. If you're a fan of Aliens, you will feel right at home with this game. It is a game for fans. If i gave Colonial Marines a 5/10 i'd give this an 8/10 (even with it's problems).

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Nephthys
If the same guys that made this made a Thing game that would be pretty damn cool.

I think the Thing would fit right with these guys. I actually think, Alien could have used a bit more action in the gameplay but the slow paced investigating would fit perfectly into a "thing" game. With that said i dont mean to insinuate that i dont like whats been done with, Isolation. I just think there can be a happy medium found in the, Alien franchise between anticipation and action. Colonial marines obviously went full action. creative assembly went full anticipation. I think we can have a fast paced action shooter/ slow and calculating action adventure. Dead space did it perfectly, as did Silent hill.

As much as i love Isolation, i think there is a perfect aliens game yet to be realized. Although, i'm happy with what i've received but there is so much damn potential for this franchise in the video game world. even if it were turned into a left 4 dead esque style game.

Smasandian
It's the perfect Alien game that based on the first movie. There is absolutely no action in that movie aside from the intense scene at the end.

The problem with action Alien game is that it makes the Alien weak as shit. The first two movies portray the species as the ultimate killing machine and in videogames, turns them into fodder.

jinXed by JaNx
It's the perfect Alien game that based on the first movie. There is absolutely no action in that movie aside from the intense scene at the end.

The problem with action Alien game is that it makes the Alien weak as shit. The first two movies portray the species as the ultimate killing machine and in videogames, turns them into fodder.

If you're any kind of Alien fan you're going to appreciate this for everything that it is. That alone is worth more than price of admission. This game makes, gearboxes' handling of the license look even more neglectful than it was.

I disagree with you though. I believe you can have a balance between action and horror in video games while still maintaining that sense of desperation that we experienced in the film. This, obviously would require passionate game design and at the bare minimum, COMPETENT AI. Going by the L4D franchise, you could easily cut the enemies in half by including more strategic AI and level design which would make for a more resilient enemy that doesn't come across as just canon fodder.

Smasandian
It can be but I don't think the developers will have any intention on creating an more actiony version of Alien Isolation.

-Pr-

Eh, I would argue that in Aliens, proper firearms were tearing xenos to shreds left and right, there were just so many of them.

the 2009, I think it was, did an okay job of portraying them.

====

Isolation... It's a great game. It really is. I just can't get in to it. I don't like horror games where the power is for the most part taken away from you, so even with my love for the franchise, I struggled. I watched the shit out of lets plays though.

Smasandian
That's cool. Everybody has a genre/game where it ain't for them.

I just recently played Outcast: Whistleblower DLC and after playing Aliens: Isolation, control was completely taken away from Outcast. Also, I couldn't get around the sneaking part for a bit because I was expecting the unexpected with the bad guys in Outcast. They walked by me and I'm like, "are they actual gone or just playing tricks". So I would wait, and wait and wait until I realized "****, I'm not playing Aliens" and then I was just start walking and it became easy.

Arachnid1
I recently started my second playthrough of this game on hard mode (haven't worked up the balls for Nightmare mode yet, so that will be my third playthrough). I managed to make it through the medical bay on my first try. I got so damn lucky. My heart was in my throat the entire time. Its absolutely phucked how they don't give you any save stations from beginning to end in this section. I remember this section being the hardest part of the game for me my first playthrough. I think I just got lucky (not that I'm complaining).

I'm going to beat this playthrough of the main game, play the DLCs, and then play the main game one more time on nightmare.

Smasandian
Probably my favourite game last year. Granted, it was a weak year for videogames but it's still a great game.

Hopefully a sequel is in the works.

Arachnid1
From what I heard, sega was displeased with this games sales (despite it selling much more than most survival horror games do). They're not planning a sequel.

Then again, this was before the movies were announced. Hopefully that prompts them to get their shit together and make a sequel. This was my GOTY for 2014. It deserved it more than Shadow of Mordor IMO

Arachnid1
UKa4ZdueOt8&feature=youtu.be

Phucking lmao

-Pr-
Originally posted by Arachnid1
From what I heard, sega was displeased with this games sales (despite it selling much more than most survival horror games do). They're not planning a sequel.

Then again, this was before the movies were announced. Hopefully that prompts them to get their shit together and make a sequel. This was my GOTY for 2014. It deserved it more than Shadow of Mordor IMO

That's a shame. Not a game I really wanted to play, but still.

Originally posted by Arachnid1
UKa4ZdueOt8&feature=youtu.be

Phucking lmao

laughing out loud

Smasandian
I didn't even know you could isolate it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.