Frank Martin vs Ip Man

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Lestov16
Bloodlusted unarmed H2H deathmatch in a karate dojo
Who takes this?

Kazenji
Ip Man.

FrothByte
Frank Martin. Again, Ip Man had trouble with a heavyweight boxer who was wearing gloves. Ip Man showed that he didn't have the power and strength to take on a heavy weight, and only his superior technique allowed him to squeak a win over the boxer. Unfortunately here, Frank Martin not only has the size advantage but has pretty damn good skill as well.

Dreampanther
Which Ip Man? The version played by Donny Yuen? If it's bloodlusted, Donny Yuen's Ip Man takes it - he was a freaking holy terror when enraged. As for the other Ip Man versions - meh, who cares.

I have never seen Frank Martin even close to this, and I am quite a fan.

Ip Man

FrothByte
Originally posted by Dreampanther
Which Ip Man? The version played by Donny Yuen? If it's bloodlusted, Donny Yuen's Ip Man takes it - he was a freaking holy terror when enraged. As for the other Ip Man versions - meh, who cares.

I have never seen Frank Martin even close to this, and I am quite a fan.

Ip Man

And yet he seemed to have such huge trouble against a heavyweight boxer:

VD_wtz1CLVs

Kazenji
So your comparing Frank Martin to a heavyweight boxer?

KingD19
It's wrong to compare Frank to that heavyweight boxer. While they're in the same weight class more than likely give or take a few pounds, Frank is stronger, faster, more durable, more skilled, etc, etc, etc...

FrothByte
Originally posted by Kazenji
So your comparing Frank Martin to a heavyweight boxer?

No. Though Frank Martin may be similar in size to the boxer, he's way more skilled than the boxer and more versatile. He can box, kick, and grapple.

My point in posting that video is to show that if Ip Man has trouble taking down a heavyweight boxer, then he has no hope against Frank Martin.

FrothByte
Originally posted by KingD19
It's wrong to compare Frank to that heavyweight boxer. While they're in the same weight class more than likely give or take a few pounds, Frank is stronger, faster, more durable, more skilled, etc, etc, etc...

Agreed. The reason I posted that video is to show that if Ip Man has trouble with the boxer, then all the more will he have trouble with Frank Martin.

KingD19
Yeah. Ip is an absolute monster. But the problem is Wing Chun isn't a hard style, and he's not a big guy. He hits hard for his weight class, but so does Mayweather, and I wouldn't favor him against Mike Tyson in his prime.

Darth Martin
Frank Martin

That fight with the boxer definitely brings Ip Man down a notch.

Dreampanther
Yawn. They had to try and make the second movie interesting, so somebody got the idea of taking his student's fight against a 240 pound Russian boxer and try to make that seem like a challenge. In reality, Ip Man's student, Wong Shun Leung, "won that fight by KO with just three punches".

Article

You said bloodlusted. Which means they are not in a dojo, fighting with rules favouring the boxer. Yip Man was accustomed to fighting against his peers, 99% of Martin's showings are against people with zero hand-to-hand skill, so of course he looks great.

Showing a poor portrayal of a fight that never happened and has nothing to do with the scenario you set up seems to be a dubious strategy, at best, if you really want to convince me.

KingD19
Yawn. They had to try and make the second movie interesting, so somebody got the idea of taking his student's fight against a 240 pound Russian boxer and try to make that seem like a challenge. In reality, Ip Man's student, Wong Shun Leung, "won that fight by KO with just three punches".

Article

You said bloodlusted. Which means they are not in a dojo, fighting with rules favouring the boxer. Yip Man was accustomed to fighting against his peers, 99% of Martin's showings are against people with zero hand-to-hand skill, so of course he looks great.

Showing a poor portrayal of a fight that never happened and has nothing to do with the scenario you set up seems to be a dubious strategy, at best, if you really want to convince me.

The "reality" doesn't matter. What matters is what was seen in the film, since it's the film character we're debating.

And bloodlusted is bad for Ip Man as even fighting calmly, Frank was brutal and had no problem fighting dirty. And when he did fight against highly trained men(several times), he came out looking good as well.

The point he was making is that Ip Man had trouble with a guy around the same size of Frank, but far slower, less powerful, less skilled, etc, etc,... If he had trouble with the boxer, then Frank would murder him.

BruceSkywalker
1p Man ftw.. Frank is good but he loses after a nice fight

FrothByte

Article

Just to add to what KingD said, "no rules" won't exactly put IP Man at an advantage as Frank Martin fights even dirtier than IP Man, and that's just him on his normal days. And Martin has faced skilled opponents before, but he was just so good that he made his opponents seem unskilled.

You still can't deny the fact that the single time Ip Man faced a bigger fighter than he (and not that so much bigger either) he had trouble with strength and size.

Martin is roughly the same size as the boxer (especially in Transporter 3) plus he's more skilled, faster, stronger, and with a whole load more durability and luck.

Lestov16
RWqgueA6H80

That guy is far stronger than anybody Ip Man has ever faced, and Ip Man doesn't display near the durability that Frank does in this scene. He casually walks off being flung through a concrete wall.

Darth Martin
Actually, I don't know. Dreampanther brought up a good point. They were fighting under boxing rules. That probably hampered Ip Man a bit. Also, the Ip Man films were more stylized than the Transporter films. The characters were performing wire-fu feats.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Darth Martin
Actually, I don't know. Dreampanther brought up a good point. They were fighting under boxing rules. That probably hampered Ip Man a bit. Also, the Ip Man films were more stylized than the Transporter films. The characters were performing wire-fu feats.

Nah, in the first 2 rounds Ip Man was kicking and grappling with the boxer. If any, it was the boxer who was hindered in that match, especially since he was wearing gloves. It wasn't until the 3rd round where Ip Man was disallowed kicks and yet even then he was still using elbows and holds.

And despite all the fancy wire-fu of the the Ip Man movies, what that boxing match proved was that Ip Man doesn't have the necessary power to comfortably go up against a heavy weight.

ares834
Originally posted by Kazenji
Ip Man.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by FrothByte
No. Though Frank Martin may be similar in size to the boxer, he's way more skilled than the boxer and more versatile. He can box, kick, and grapple.

My point in posting that video is to show that if Ip Man has trouble taking down a heavyweight boxer, then he has no hope against Frank Martin. Frank Martin has no chance against a world champion boxer.

Is boxing considered an amateur Martial Arts or something?

The movie was trying to show that even the greatest Martial Artists can be beaten by a boxer, as boxing is a legitimate art form.

Muhammad Ali would floor Fedor Emelianenko.

Sorry if I'm overreacting, but all of your ignorance to boxing is kinda laughable.

Time-Immemorial
Ok so where are we at on this, who wins?

michaelx
IP man. Skill gap is ridiculous.

relentless1
spite thread...ip man kills easy

relentless1
and for those of you saying he had a poor showing against the boxer, he was tooling him until the racist refs got involved and ruled that he couldn't use his feet..even then Ip Man kicked the shit out of the boxer once he composed himself after a CHEAP SHOT

FrothByte
Originally posted by relentless1
and for those of you saying he had a poor showing against the boxer, he was tooling him until the racist refs got involved and ruled that he couldn't use his feet..even then Ip Man kicked the shit out of the boxer once he composed himself after a CHEAP SHOT

You need to rewatch that fight then, because IP man was having a hard time even before he was told to stop kicking.

Martin is not only bigger and heavier than IP man, he also has way better durability feats and skill showings just as impressive.

Dreampanther
Ip Man 3. Donnie Yen vs Mike Tyson.

Jmanghan
Ip Man 3. Donnie Yen vs Mike Tyson. ...Why not post that in the Ip Man 3 thread???

Omac9
I'd rather see IP Man vs Hundred Eyes....

Kotor3
IP Man wins.

HulkIsHulk
Twister blocked a lot, Frank fights in a different way. I'm backing Ip here

KingD19
Frank still wins even after Ip Man 3.

He's got higher strength feats than Mike Tyson's few in his short scenes, and Tyson is the strongest person in all the Ip Man films.

He's got higher durability feats than anyone in Ip Man.

He's got skills right up there with Ip who is the best.

He's superhuman to a degree that Ip is at a supreme disadvantage.

FrothByte
Originally posted by HulkIsHulk
Twister blocked a lot, Frank fights in a different way. I'm backing Ip here

Huh? Frank blocked multiple hits in his fights. Maybe you mean he doesn't cover up as much? In any case, Frank gets hit far less than Twister did even when fighting against multiple opponents. No need to cover up if you're not getting hit. Don't see how this makes Frank lose against IP.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Jmanghan

Muhammad Ali would floor Fedor Emelianenko. Ali lost to a professional wrestler kicking the shit out of his shins for several rounds.

Fedor would have killed him in one.

NemeBro
Originally posted by relentless1
and for those of you saying he had a poor showing against the boxer, he was tooling him until the racist refs got involve I literally watched the film last week, Twister almost knocked him out in the first round.

KingD19
Twister was knocking him around yeah.

And in Ip 3, a much stronger Frank(Tyson) was knocking him around also, but even moreso.

Ip had to change techniques and styles several times to make it to the end of the fight, and any damage that he did to Frank was ignored after a few seconds.

Martin would destroy him even without his skills. He's just a physical beast and leagues beyond anyone Ip has ever fought.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.