Christian Proof/Disproof Thread

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Raisen
Prove that the Christian God is real. Or disprove it.

Prove popular Christian events. Or disprove them.

Lord Lucien
Can't be done/can't be done.

Better challenge: prove your faith in God is real. Or prove you have none.

Raisen
Originally posted by Lord Lucien

perhaps they can't be done. it should be fun seeing people attempt

Shakyamunison
Please define God.

Raisen
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
Please define God.

Christian God as described in the King James Bible.

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Raisen
perhaps they can't be done. it should be fun seeing people attempt You must not have listened to many people try to prove/disprove God. Especially the Abrahamic God. Many provers sound either zealous or stupid--and many of them aren't, their faith just forces their argument in a certain direction. And many disprovers sound either elitist or, oddly enough, "holier-than-thou".

Proving one's faith is both more difficult, and more genuine. Anyone can argue, but acting faithfully to your God/lessness, that's something else.

Shakyamunison
Please define prove.

Raisen
Lucien, stop trolling and just answer the motha f$%W question.

Stealth Moose
Lucien, stop trolling and just answer the motha f$%W question.

He brought up a valid observation bro. Umad?

Raisen
Please define prove.

is this trolling? if so, I don't like it one bit

Raisen
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
He brought up a valid observation bro. Umad?

furious. I hope god smites all of you into smithereens.

Shakyamunison

Raisen

Lord Lucien
furious. I hope god smites all of you into smithereens. I hope so too, I've always wanted to know what 'smithereens' is like.

But yeah, you do need to define 'prove'. Empirically, it just can't be done either way, so unless you have another definition of 'proof' this thread and query is just an unsubtle attempt to goad people in to saying things that could make them sound foolish. Likely for you to feel superior afterward. Which was exactly my point in that post up above.

And why I suggested that, if you're genuinely curious, offer up examples of faith/lessness. Ultimately it's the people's reactions/behaviour that has the biggest effect, regardless of belief. You can be as diehard a believer as possible, but if your actions don't represent it, it doesn't matter.

Raisen
i'm starting to see why some of you guys spend so much time on here. most sexy women wouldn't put up with this sh!t for long, especially if you're not rich.

i'd love to answer your questions, but i'm going to get laid pretty soon. I have to shower.

Shakyamunison
provide what you think is proof according to your own terms. if you think it's proof enough for you...then post it.

That is going to take some time. I will have to get back with you.

Next time make a thread that isn't so hard.

Shakyamunison
i'm starting to see why some of you guys spend so much time on here. most sexy women wouldn't put up with this sh!t for long, especially if you're not rich.

i'd love to answer your questions, but i'm going to get laid pretty soon. I have to shower.

...and he's down!

Raisen
alright. i'm back from the shower......and getting laid.

Lord Lucien
alright. i'm back from the shower......and getting laid. 7:08-7:12...

And the shower took 3 minutes.

Raisen
7:08-7:12...

And the shower took 3 minutes.

yes. i'm kind of proud of how well I performed today. my stamina was excellent

Shakyamunison
yes. i'm kind of proud of how well I performed today. my stamina was excellent

Too much information. sick

Digi
The concept of God, as it exists in most religions, is currently unfalsifiable. The OP, therefore, is operating under a faulty premise.

However, there are many claims of religions that CAN be falsified, that should be subject to such scrutiny. I fear, however, that the narrow scope of the OP will limit discussion of this kind.

Raisen
Originally posted by Digi
The concept of God, as it exists in most religions, is currently unfalsifiable. The OP, therefore, is operating under a faulty premise.

However, there are many claims of religions that CAN be falsified, that should be subject to such scrutiny. I fear, however, that the narrow scope of the OP will limit discussion of this kind.

i'm not trying to limit it at all. how can a mod change the OP to welcome more ideas? i'm really just trying to see if things like Noah's ark etc can actually be proven or disproven.

Digi
i'm not trying to limit it at all. how can a mod change the OP to welcome more ideas? i'm really just trying to see if things like Noah's ark etc can actually be proven or disproven.

Well, Noah's Ark is not the same as "God" so yeah, your OP was a bit narrow in its focus. But I see what you're saying. Saying that we should have proof or strong evidence for the earthly manifestations of various deities is a valid request.

Please note, with nearly all of these, the burden of proof is on the claim. There is no logical need to disprove something without sufficient evidence in the first place. Else we might as well be demanding proof that unicorns don't exist.

Only a global can change the OP at this point. Few are around. Best of luck though.

Mindship
A mountain floating in midair would be incredibly impressive, and accompanied by a church group could be powerful evidence of God's power. But ultimately, this is empirical evidence solely for a floating mountain and a church group making claims. The connection to the Divine is inferential; it is not a direct/immediate experience of "God", per se.

It could ET funking with us.

Digi
Originally posted by Mindship
A mountain floating in midair would be incredibly impressive, and accompanied by a church group could be powerful evidence of God's power. But ultimately, this is empirical evidence solely for a floating mountain and a church group making claims. The connection to the Divine is inferential; it is not a direct/immediate experience of "God", per se.

It could ET funking with us.

thumb up

This is true of many things. Most (hypothetical) evidence that would be cited by adherents of various religions only points to "something" beyond our understand, not necessarily a god, or God, or their particular God. Each of those increasingly specific levels require their own justification.

Stealth Moose
Which is why religious rational arguments always operate from a confirmation bias standpoint of evidence is evidence if and only if it justifies the idea of "their god". I mean, the jotuns were supposed to be wiped out in the Ragnarok; no jotuns exist anymore; therefore, the Aesir exist since they were the agents of jotun destruction.

Lord Lucien
Someone's been climbing Yggdrasill.

Stealth Moose
The Truth is up there. A squirrel told me.

Shakyamunison
thumb up

This is true of many things. Most (hypothetical) evidence that would be cited by adherents of various religions only points to "something" beyond our understand, not necessarily a god, or God, or their particular God. Each of those increasingly specific levels require their own justification.

That sounds just like dark matter and dark energy.

siriuswriter
The Truth is up there. A squirrel told me.

Yeah, but who would trust a squirrel? They're all little nutters.

Digi
I made a thread like this once, that ignored the unanswerable God question and focused on the stuff that SHOULD have evidence for it (but doesn't, as yet):
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=466089

Stealth Moose
Originally posted by siriuswriter
Yeah, but who would trust a squirrel? They're all little nutters.

It may have been one of the bad ones...

http://webpages.csus.edu/~sat73/jedi_squirrel.jpg

Digi
http://i.imgur.com/xVYEo.gif

Lord Lucien
That sounds just like dark matter and dark energy. Give it time. We'll crack 'em.

Shakyamunison
Give it time. We'll crack 'em.

Perhaps. But there are things will will never know.

Raisen
noah's ark. is the building of it and ability to house two of every animal disprovable based on it's size or any other conditions?

Shakyamunison
noah's ark. is the building of it and ability to house two of every animal disprovable based on it's size or any other conditions?

Don't take the bible literally.

Raisen
Don't take the bible literally.

I really don't take it literally or figuratively.

Shakyamunison
I really don't take it literally or figuratively.

Then you shouldn't even know about it.

Raisen
Then you shouldn't even know about it.

I like reading sci fi.

Shakyamunison
I like reading sci fi.

I like to read science, physics and natural history. I read the bible a long time ago, no need to read it again.

Raisen
I like to read science, physics and natural history. I read the bible a long time ago, no need to read it again.

this is a bible/Christian proof/disproof thread. quit phucking it up with you shenanigans.

Shakyamunison
this is a bible/Christian proof/disproof thread. quit phucking it up with you shenanigans.

I was following your lead. Didn't you say "I like reading sci fi."? Don't "phuck" your own thread.

Stealth Moose
http://i.imgur.com/xVYEo.gif

thumb up

Stealth Moose

The fun part is comparing it to another version of the same work, translated into the same language, which has entirely different semantic meaning.

Shakyamunison
The fun part is comparing it to another version of the same work, translated into the same language, which has entirely different semantic meaning.

Absolutely.

m317
We are never going to scientifically prove that God is real, but evidence is present throughout the world in miracles. Ultimately, it all comes down to faith.

Stealth Moose
So miracles = exception to the rule?

Shakyamunison
So miracles = exception to the rule?

I had the face of Jesus in my peanut-butter yesterday, again! mad

Stealth Moose
Potato face Jesus doesn't count.

Shakyamunison
Potato face Jesus doesn't count.

I don't spend any time looking at raw potatoes, and all of my mashed potatoes look like volcanoes. I love to eat the mashed potatoes in a way that makes lahar flows down onto the meat.

Supra

How does the sun power itself?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Supra
How does the sun power itself?

Fusion caused by gravity.

Lord Lucien
How does the sun power itself? The intense pressure that gravity exerts on a colossal mass of hydrogen causes the atoms to fuse together in to helium, releasing a little bit of energy in the form of photons/electrons/neutrinos that radiates away in all directions upon reaching the surface, reaching Earth in about 8.3 minutes.

Why do you ask?

Supra
The intense pressure that gravity exerts on a colossal mass of hydrogen causes the atoms to fuse together in to helium, releasing a little bit of energy in the form of photons/electrons/neutrinos that radiates away in all directions upon reaching the surface, reaching Earth in about 8.3 minutes.

Why do you ask?

The sun is powered by God. Any other scientific explanation does not add up. The sun is an unexplainable power source of endless energy

Shakyamunison
The sun is powered by God. Any other scientific explanation does not add up. The sun is an unexplainable power source of endless energy

laughing out loud Look it up.

Supra
laughing out loud Look it up.

Your faith in man will be your undoing

Stealth Moose

So what you're saying is because you cannot conceive of the scientific answer being true or are otherwise ill-equipped to verify it yourself, God must somehow be behind it?

I don't know; therefore, God?

Supra
So what you're saying is because you cannot conceive of the scientific answer being true or are otherwise ill-equipped to verify it yourself, God must somehow be behind it?

I don't know; therefore, God?

You tell me how the sun powers itself then Dr. Einstein

Shakyamunison
You tell me how the sun powers itself then Dr. Einstein

Look it up for yourself, and stop trolling.

Stealth Moose
Is that a yes or no?

Supra
Look it up for yourself, and stop trolling.

Ok fraud

Shakyamunison
Ok fraud

Let me help you:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/star4.htm

Supra
Let me help you:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/star4.htm

Im not reading anything you post because your a liar and a fraud

Shakyamunison
Im not reading anything you post because your a liar and a fraud

That doesn't make any sense at all. Just Google how does a star work, and read it. Unless everything having to do with how a star works is wrong because I am a "liar and a fraud".

laughing

Supra
You say a lotus is oneness yet you have never seen one..

Shakyamunison
You say a lotus is oneness yet you have never seen one..

I've never smelled one. Have you? The Lotus is a symbol of the oneness of cause and effect. It is not required that you see it. That is called not seeing the forest for the trees.

Supra
I've never smelled one. Have you? The Lotus is a symbol of the oneness of cause and effect. It is not required that you see it. That is called not seeing the forest for the trees.

Now your lost in the woods like I always knew you were

Shakyamunison
Now your lost in the woods like I always knew you were

I can't tell if you are being obtuse of you just don't get symbolic references. No one was ever talking about the woods or a lotus flower. Now if you could let JIA back on the computer, I would rather talk to my friend then you.

Supra
I can't tell if you are being obtuse of you just don't get symbolic references. No one was ever talking about the woods or a lotus flower. Now if you could let JIA back on the computer, I would rather talk to my friend then you.

Don't try and change the subject by referencing NPC's

Shakyamunison
Don't try and change the subject by referencing NPC's

JIA is a NPC? Is he your sock?

Supra
JIA is a NPC? Is he your sock?

You have fun squabbling about your nonsense huh? I listened to what which you call music..its rank.

Shakyamunison
Is that a yes or no?

Stop asking questions that have more then one answer! You are confusing the hell out of them.

Stealth Moose
Instead of having dissenting opinions, we should be replaced with reaffirming-your-bias bots.

User: The sun is mystical and made by God!
Bot: You are wise and unique snowflake, yes you are!

Supra
I am as you are beyond the name calling and I would like to talk to you as equals, I am sorry about the past and I am willing to have new beginnings.

Shakyamunison
I am as you are beyond the name calling and I would like to talk to you as equals, I am sorry about the past and I am willing to have new beginnings.

When you get back from being banned, then we can talk. OK?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.