CBR'S Top 100 Comic Book Storylines Of All Time

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Golgo13
Decent list, IMO. DC and all it's imprints are getting the vast majority on the list. Not surprising.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/category/top-100-comic-book-storylines/

Rao Kal El
thumb up Thanks for this, I was thinking on making a similar thread, but this is perfect big grin

Cogito
What does this list consider to be a storyline? Some are obviously clear cut, others not so much.

Take for example the Lucifer series. You could easily call the whole thing a single storyline (there is a running plot throughout) or it could be broken down into a dozen+ storylines of about 3 issues each (which it was technically broken into).

Golgo13
Originally posted by Cogito
What does this list consider to be a storyline? Some are obviously clear cut, others not so much.

Take for example the Lucifer series. You could easily call the whole thing a single storyline (there is a running plot throughout) or it could be broken down into a dozen+ storylines of about 3 issues each (which it was technically broken into).

Definitely breaking down specific storylines, seeing as Sandman has a bunch of spots on the list. Anybody have any idea what will be #1? Maybe a Sandman story? Or Watchmen? Or maybe Dark Knight Returns.

Cogito
Probably some Sandman, hopefully Lucifer (fingers crossed), Watchmen, All-Star Superman to come

ares834
Calling it now. It's going to be Watchmen, Year One, Dark Knight Returns, All Star Superman, Dark Phoinex Saga, and that one Daredvil story that Miller wrote (its name escapes me).

Golgo13
6. Batman: Year One
5. Dark Knight Returns
4. All-Star Superman

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/11/26/2013-top-100-comic-book-storylines-6-4/

Golgo13
I'm betting Earth X will be in the last few somewhere.

Golgo13
Top 3. Not surprising what #1 was.

3. Daredevil: Born Again.
2. Dark Phoenix Saga
1. Watchmen

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/11/27/2013-top-100-comic-book-storylines-3-1/

Cogito
Originally posted by ares834
Calling it now. It's going to be Watchmen, Year One, Dark Knight Returns, All Star Superman, Dark Phoinex Saga, and that one Daredvil story that Miller wrote (its name escapes me). Impressive

Warlord
born again rock
the story that got me into comics reading
Justice for Matt

Galan007
Originally posted by Golgo13
Top 3. Not surprising what #1 was.

3. Daredevil: Born Again.
2. Dark Phoenix Saga
1. Watchmen

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/11/27/2013-top-100-comic-book-storylines-3-1/ Born Again was great, but TDPS and Watchmen were considered to be the two best stories of all time? Ridiculous. thumb down

Several stories on that list were better than TDPS & Watchmen combined, imo.

quanchi112
Decent list, IMO. DC and all it's imprints are getting the vast majority on the list. Not surprising.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/category/top-100-comic-book-storylines/ Subjective but one thing that isn't is marvels success over dc.

abhilegend
All star superman should've been higher. Born Again is pretty good. TDPS was shit and Watchmen is seriously meh.

quanchi112
Originally posted by abhilegend
All star superman should've been higher. Born Again is pretty good. TDPS was shit and Watchmen is seriously meh. All subjective so you really can't argue. It isn't your opinion it is theirs.

Golgo13
Originally posted by abhilegend
All star superman should've been higher. Born Again is pretty good. TDPS was shit and Watchmen is seriously meh.

thumb up I really liked Watchmen, though. Not top 10. More like top 20. No Lucifer = bad.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Galan007
Born Again was great, but TDPS and Watchmen were considered to be the two best stories of all time? Ridiculous. thumb down

Several stories on that list were better than TDPS & Watchmen combined, imo.

Which ones?

Q99

The 90s-00s were a great time for DC as a company, creatively speaking. Especially with the likes of Vertigo and Wildstorm both in swing!

Cogito
No Lucifer = bad.

I agree, but the way the list was formatted they would have had to pick a specific run in Lucifer, which doesn't really work the way it was written.

If they could take the whole 75 issues, then it'd be a no-brainer. I guess that'd be the same for a number of other titles though.

Digi
Watchmen was the book that set the stage for a lot of more serious writers to start doing their thing. As both a good read in its own right, and a seminal work in the history of comics, I'm more than ok with it at #1.

Especially because it kept Jean Grey out of the top slot. Jesus. That would have been tragic.

Originally posted by Cogito
I agree, but the way the list was formatted they would have had to pick a specific run in Lucifer, which doesn't really work the way it was written.

If they could take the whole 75 issues, then it'd be a no-brainer. I guess that'd be the same for a number of other titles though.

^ This. More than a few books were hurt by this trend in the list, but that's just how they decided to make decisions.

srug

I'm betting Earth X will be in the last few somewhere.

I'm not entirely sure the "X" series is deserving of this. I LOVE it, so I'm not arguing that it isn't awesome. But it's such a nostalgia trip that I wonder if we don't value it higher than someone who was reading it without a previous deep love and knowledge of the Marvel Universe. The merits are harder to identify from that perspective, and it does get bogged down in exposition on several occasions.

Golgo13
Originally posted by Digi
Watchmen was the book that set the stage for a lot of more serious writers to start doing their thing. As both a good read in its own right, and a seminal work in the history of comics, I'm more than ok with it at #1.

Especially because it kept Jean Grey out of the top slot. Jesus. That would have been tragic.

^ This. More than a few books were hurt by this trend in the list, but that's just how they decided to make decisions.

srug

I'm not entirely sure the "X" series is deserving of this. I LOVE it, so I'm not arguing that it isn't awesome. But it's such a nostalgia trip that I wonder if we don't value it higher than someone who was reading it without a previous deep love and knowledge of the Marvel Universe. The merits are harder to identify from that perspective, and it does get bogged down in exposition on several occasions.

I'd place Earth X on the same or close to Kingdom Come, IMO. Hey, I don't think Brian Michael Bendis had anything on the list, while Geoff John's had like 2 things. Kind of surprising.

I was hoping to get more indie on the list like Powers or Luther Strode.

Galan007
Which ones? All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come, Season of Mists, The Long Halloween, COIE, The Great Darkness Saga, ST: American Gothic, The Last Iron Fist Story, The Judas Contract, Infinity Gauntlet Saga, Secret Wars, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Q99
I am disappointed Identity Crisis got on the list, and surprised Hush got so high (it's a very pretty story, but it's basically a tour of Gotham's villains, it's not as good a story-story as a lot of the others).

Heck, kinda surprised Blackest Night got so high and I don't think it's bad... I think the list was a bit overly generous to recent DC event comics.

Also, I'm quite surprised Green Lantern/Arrow Hard Traveling Heroes didn't make the list.

Digi
I'd place Earth X on the same or close to Kingdom Come, IMO. Hey, I don't think Brian Michael Bendis had anything on the list, while Geoff John's had like 2 things. Kind of surprising.

I was hoping to get more indie on the list like Powers or Luther Strode.

It's not even close to Kingdom Come in terms of storytelling. Like I said, it wallows in exposition far too often, and has a few too many dead-end storylines for the sake of including everyone. Makes the finished product a bit too bloated to appeal beyond the hardcore fanbase of people who have been fans for decades. But KC, I'd happily and without reservation give to any fan of comics.

And again, I probably like the Earth X series better than Kingdom Come. But that's a subjective assessment, not a critical analysis of its more overarching merits.

leonidas
All-Star Superman, Kingdom Come, Season of Mists, The Long Halloween, COIE, The Great Darkness Saga, ST: American Gothic, The Last Iron Fist Story, The Judas Contract, Infinity Gauntlet Saga, Secret Wars, etc. etc. etc. etc.

def throw dark knight in there, imo, among many others. i liked but didn't love AS superman. kingdom come was truly groundbreaking. i liked MARVELS as well. GDS is very solid and judas contract was some of the best DC stuff of that era, no doubt. you liked IG that much? secret wars was DEF a classic. i'm very pleased born again was near the top though. i've said for a long time that was one of the best storylines any marvel book has ever put out. watchmen is interesting--it is important for many different reasons so i GET the "why" it was ranked #1. like you, i didn't love the story though. i did enjoy it. i find it funny though as i don't think watchmen is even MOORE'S best work. i liked some of his swamp thing, but i REALLY loved the killing joke and v for vendetta.....cool list though. creates loads of discussion.

Galan007
Originally posted by leonidas
you liked IG that much? Oh yes. I personally think the original IG saga was FAR superior to TDPS & Watchmen across the board.

Cogito
I, like many people, started reading Watchmen before the film came out.

I made it halfway through. Not that it was bad, I just think it's hugely overrated.

Galan007
Yeah, the Watchmen film was WAY better than its comic book counterpart. It's odd that I can loathe the Watchmen comics as much I do, yet at the same time consider its on-screen adaption one of the greatest comic-based films ever. Heh.

I also enjoyed the V for Vendetta film a lot more than the comic series, for what it's worth. /shrug

leonidas
Yeah, the Watchmen film was WAY better than its comic book counterpart. It's odd that I can loathe the Watchmen comics as much I do, yet at the same time consider its on-screen adaption one of the greatest comic-based films ever. Heh.

I also enjoyed the V for Vendetta film a lot more than the comic series, for what it's worth. /shrug

i enjoyed the books and movie about equally when it comes to watchmen. v was an AWESOME movie.....

tdps was never one of my all-time faves.

Digi
Here's the final list btw: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/11/04/2013-top-100-comic-book-storylines-master-list/

Is Warren Ellis really nowhere on there? Or did I miss it? If he's not...ridiculous.

{edit} nevermind, answered my own question. One of the Planetary arcs is #26 (issues #1-13)...though why they didn't allow the whole run (only ~26 issues) and bump it to the top 10 is beyond me.

Ha. You're basically the opposite of the rest of the comic world. I always took to the setting and plot of V more than Watchmen, but enjoyed both books. Thought the Watchmen movie was a bit clunky, if incredibly true to the source material. V was good across the board. Excellently done.

Galan007
Just thought of another nominee for this thread: Demon Knights.

It definitely wasn't popular or mainstream(cancelled after only 23 issues), but if you're into the Medieval/King Arthur/Merlin/Avalon/Mystic-esque genre(with several other great characters thrown in the mix), it had a damn good story. One of the better stories I've ever read pertaining to that genre, in fact. Quite brilliant.

Ha. You're basically the opposite of the rest of the comic world. I always took to the setting and plot of V more than Watchmen, but enjoyed both books. Thought the Watchmen movie was a bit clunky, if incredibly true to the source material. V was good across the board. Excellently done. Conformist. sneer

Galan007
Just thought of another nominee for this thread: Demon Knights.

It definitely wasn't popular or mainstream(cancelled after only 23 issues), but if you're into the Medieval/King Arthur/Merlin/Avalon/Mystic-esque genre(with several other great characters thrown in the mix), it had a damn good story. One of the better stories I've ever read pertaining to that genre, in fact. Quite brilliant. Lol, didn't mean to post this here. durpalm @ me.

leonidas
i was like, deja vu all over again. laughing out loud

Q99
Here's the final list btw: http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2013/11/04/2013-top-100-comic-book-storylines-master-list/

Is Warren Ellis really nowhere on there? Or did I miss it? If he's not...ridiculous.

{edit} nevermind, answered my own question. One of the Planetary arcs is #26 (issues #1-13)...though why they didn't allow the whole run (only ~26 issues) and bump it to the top 10 is beyond me.

They were focusing more on individual stories.

Also, I am surprised by the lack of Transmet.

Iskandar
Eeeew, CBR.

Okay list though. Watchman is kind of just there because of how popular it is rather than how good it was. It was okay but the characterizations were silly in many areas. Particularly Rorschach's black therapist. That guy's whole storyline is so stupidly dark that it comes off as hilarious instead. What with his wife leaving him and getting beat up by some racist white guy for no reason.

In fact, the whole tone came off as trying to be edgy and just coming off as funny for it. Not that it's bad. It just made me feeling like chuckling more than anything else.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.