KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book Movies » Comic Books » CBR'S Top 100 Comic Book Storylines Of All Time

CBR'S Top 100 Comic Book Storylines Of All Time
Started by: Golgo13

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

CBR'S Top 100 Comic Book Storylines Of All Time

Decent list, IMO. DC and all it's imprints are getting the vast majority on the list. Not surprising.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...ook-storylines/

Old Post Nov 26th, 2013 01:10 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rao Kal El
DJ FrostByte

thumb up Thanks for this, I was thinking on making a similar thread, but this is perfect big grin

Thank You Prof. T.C McAbe, You are Superman!

Old Post Nov 26th, 2013 01:37 AM
Rao Kal El is currently offline Click here to Send Rao Kal El a Private Message Find more posts by Rao Kal El Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

What does this list consider to be a storyline? Some are obviously clear cut, others not so much.

Take for example the Lucifer series. You could easily call the whole thing a single storyline (there is a running plot throughout) or it could be broken down into a dozen+ storylines of about 3 issues each (which it was technically broken into).

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Nov 26th, 2013 03:16 AM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Cogito
What does this list consider to be a storyline? Some are obviously clear cut, others not so much.

Take for example the Lucifer series. You could easily call the whole thing a single storyline (there is a running plot throughout) or it could be broken down into a dozen+ storylines of about 3 issues each (which it was technically broken into).

Definitely breaking down specific storylines, seeing as Sandman has a bunch of spots on the list. Anybody have any idea what will be #1? Maybe a Sandman story? Or Watchmen? Or maybe Dark Knight Returns.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2013 04:01 AM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

Probably some Sandman, hopefully Lucifer (fingers crossed), Watchmen, All-Star Superman to come

'Be.'

Old Post Nov 26th, 2013 04:28 AM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Calling it now. It's going to be Watchmen, Year One, Dark Knight Returns, All Star Superman, Dark Phoinex Saga, and that one Daredvil story that Miller wrote (its name escapes me).

Old Post Nov 26th, 2013 04:56 AM
ares834 is currently offline Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

6. Batman: Year One
5. Dark Knight Returns
4. All-Star Superman

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...storylines-6-4/

Old Post Nov 26th, 2013 09:18 PM
Senor Cage

I'm betting Earth X will be in the last few somewhere.

Old Post Nov 26th, 2013 09:18 PM
Senor Cage

Top 3. Not surprising what #1 was.

3. Daredevil: Born Again.
2. Dark Phoenix Saga
1. Watchmen

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...storylines-3-1/

Old Post Nov 28th, 2013 03:20 AM
Cogito

Originally posted by ares834
Calling it now. It's going to be Watchmen, Year One, Dark Knight Returns, All Star Superman, Dark Phoinex Saga, and that one Daredvil story that Miller wrote (its name escapes me).
Impressive

'Be.'

Old Post Nov 28th, 2013 03:57 AM
Warlord
Yes, I am...

born again rock
the story that got me into comics reading
Justice for Matt

Old Post Nov 28th, 2013 07:56 AM
Warlord is currently offline Click here to Send Warlord a Private Message Find more posts by Warlord Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Golgo13
Top 3. Not surprising what #1 was.

3. Daredevil: Born Again.
2. Dark Phoenix Saga
1. Watchmen

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...storylines-3-1/
Born Again was great, but TDPS and Watchmen were considered to be the two best stories of all time? Ridiculous. thumb down

Several stories on that list were better than TDPS & Watchmen combined, imo.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on Nov 28th, 2013 at 03:38 PM

Old Post Nov 28th, 2013 03:27 PM
Galan007 is currently offline Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Decent list, IMO. DC and all it's imprints are getting the vast majority on the list. Not surprising.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresource...ook-storylines/
Subjective but one thing that isn't is marvels success over dc.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2013 03:32 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

All star superman should've been higher. Born Again is pretty good. TDPS was shit and Watchmen is seriously meh.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2013 03:32 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
quanchi112
Disney

Originally posted by abhilegend
All star superman should've been higher. Born Again is pretty good. TDPS was shit and Watchmen is seriously meh.
All subjective so you really can't argue. It isn't your opinion it is theirs.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2013 03:33 PM
quanchi112 is currently offline Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by abhilegend

thumb up I really liked Watchmen, though. Not top 10. More like top 20. No Lucifer = bad.

Old Post Nov 28th, 2013 11:12 PM
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Galan007
Born Again was great, but TDPS and Watchmen were considered to be the two best stories of all time? Ridiculous. thumb down

Several stories on that list were better than TDPS & Watchmen combined, imo.

Which ones?

Old Post Nov 28th, 2013 11:13 PM
Q99

Re: CBR'S Top 100 Comic Book Storylines Of All Time

The 90s-00s were a great time for DC as a company, creatively speaking. Especially with the likes of Vertigo and Wildstorm both in swing!

Old Post Nov 28th, 2013 11:45 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

No Lucifer = bad.

I agree, but the way the list was formatted they would have had to pick a specific run in Lucifer, which doesn't really work the way it was written.

If they could take the whole 75 issues, then it'd be a no-brainer. I guess that'd be the same for a number of other titles though.

'Be.'

Old Post Nov 29th, 2013 12:37 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

Watchmen was the book that set the stage for a lot of more serious writers to start doing their thing. As both a good read in its own right, and a seminal work in the history of comics, I'm more than ok with it at #1.

Especially because it kept Jean Grey out of the top slot. Jesus. That would have been tragic.

Originally posted by Cogito
I agree, but the way the list was formatted they would have had to pick a specific run in Lucifer, which doesn't really work the way it was written.

If they could take the whole 75 issues, then it'd be a no-brainer. I guess that'd be the same for a number of other titles though.

^ This. More than a few books were hurt by this trend in the list, but that's just how they decided to make decisions.

I'm betting Earth X will be in the last few somewhere.

I'm not entirely sure the "X" series is deserving of this. I LOVE it, so I'm not arguing that it isn't awesome. But it's such a nostalgia trip that I wonder if we don't value it higher than someone who was reading it without a previous deep love and knowledge of the Marvel Universe. The merits are harder to identify from that perspective, and it does get bogged down in exposition on several occasions.

Last edited by Digi on Nov 29th, 2013 at 05:28 AM

Old Post Nov 29th, 2013 05:24 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote