Should I watch Superman 1-4 before Returns?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

C-3POTheClever
I've borrowed Superman Returns from my local library, because that was the only one available, but I'm wondering should I watch the first 4 before I go onto SR? Am I going to be confused in any parts of SR if I haven't seen 1-4? Or does Returns stand on it's own quite well? Please let me know as soon as possible.

COG Veteran
Returns takes place after Superman 2. It's kinda like a spiritual successor. It can be watched on its own but it won't make the movie any better or worse.

Rao Kal El
You should avoid returns IMO

Just stick to 1,2 skip 3 and maybe watch 4

Def watch Man of steel

super pr*xy
watch superman 1 and donner's cut of 2.. watch 3 for the clark kent/superman fight and nothing else.. watch 4 for its awesome chessy goodness.. then return that dvd to your library and watch clips of superman returns on youtube.. then watch man of steel til your eyes dry..

C-3POTheClever
I've actually already seen Man of Steel.

BUSTER1
Iwould suggest watching 1 and 2. Even as a 40 year old adult I still enjoy those films, especially Superman 2.
Avoid 3 and 4 like the plague.

quanchi112
Christopher R. was one of the only human beings who could make me forget how much I hate Superman. Only for millisecond but still. That's high praise indeed.

COG Veteran
Originally posted by quanchi112
Christopher R. was one of the only human beings who could make me forget how much I hate Superman. Only for millisecond but still. That's high praise indeed.
Which part in which movie? The best is his reaction of anger and horror before he flies into space to rewind time to save Lois.

-Pr-
Just watch Superman one and two. Don't watch Returns. Watch Man of Steel.

jedi90
i recommend not watching any of them unless you enjoy movies with massive plot holes.
supes in these movies is very fluffy and gets emasculated in his day job by an idiot who can't recognize him with a pair of glasses on.

if you're new to superman, then just watch man of steel.

Oneness
Skip III, its a useless movie.

IV was bearable.

zeel
watch superman 1 and 2, skip 3 and 4. as far as MOS goes it was ok. And as far as Returns goes, I would have liked it more if it came out 15 years earlier. Good movie at the wrong time.

iscaremonkeys
watch 1 2 and 3

roughrider
Superman I is still must see viewing. Superman II, try to find the Richard Donner Director's Cut. Superman III isn't as bad as some say, it's kind of fun. Avoid Superman IV. Superman Returns is a worthy movie, even though it fawns very heavily at the feet of I.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.