Another millionaire avoids jail

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Robtard

Digi
This is horrific, but is focusing on his millionaire status the right focus here? I get that it wouldn't have happened to many others in different socioeconomic classes. But in and of itself, being rich isn't a fault. Selective treatment of the rich, sure, f*ck it to hell. But this sort of spin on these stories teaches people to hate affluent people just because, which is a dangerous precedent.

dadudemon
I'm of the opinion that ALL pedos need treatment, not just rich people.

Prison should be a means of protecting society from harmful people. Pedophiles are generally considered harmful to society which is why they almost always get prison time if the do any pedo stuff.

So, yeah, treatment is probably not enough. He should be put into prison while being treated until several professionals deem him worthy to integrate, conditionally, back into society. There is a reason they are called "Correctional Facilities."

Robtard
Originally posted by Digi
This is horrific, but is focusing on his millionaire status the right focus here? I get that it wouldn't have happened to many others in different socioeconomic classes. But in and of itself, being rich isn't a fault. Selective treatment of the rich, sure, f*ck it to hell. But this sort of spin on these stories teaches people to hate affluent people just because, which is a dangerous precedent. Considering the guy avoided jail cos of his wealth, I don't see why the focus wouldn't be on his wealth and connections.

I don't think it teaches to hate affluent people in blanket terms. IMO, it tells us to hate affluent people who use their wealth as a 'get out of jail' card and the system that is set up to allow them to do it. eg I didn't read this and then have bad thoughts about Bill Gates or the like just cos.

Digi
Originally posted by Robtard
Considering the guy avoided jail cos of his wealth, I don't see why the focus wouldn't be on his wealth and connections.

I don't think it teaches to hate affluent people in blanket terms. IMO, it tells us to hate affluent people who use their wealth as a 'get out of jail' card and the system that is set up to allow them to do it. eg I didn't read this and then have bad thoughts about Bill Gates or the like just cos.

You didn't, no. And we're on a dinky internet forum, so it's not like there's a ton of reach. But headlines like these do carry an angle to them, and do influence people toward certain irrational conclusions.

Sorry, it's just the PR/Marketing rep in me. I can't help but see how these things can influence others.

Robtard
Fair enough and point taken.

Mindship

Epicurus
Originally posted by Digi
This is horrific, but is focusing on his millionaire status the right focus here?
Considering that that is what saved him from incarceration, yes, it absolutely is.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.