KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Another millionaire avoids jail

Another millionaire avoids jail
Started by: Robtard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robtard
Senor Member

Another millionaire avoids jail

- In short, guy admits to raping his 3 year old and avoids jail cos it was decided that prison wouldn't be good for him -

Robert H. Richards IV, 47, was sentenced to eight years probation after pleading guilty to raping his 3-year-old daughter.

A du Pont family heir who pleaded guilty nearly six years ago to raping his 3-year-old daughter was never put behind bars because a Delaware judge ruled he “would not fare well” in prison, court records show.

Robert H. Richards IV — scion of the family who built the chemical empire and kin to the co-founders of a prestigious law firm, Richards Layton & Finger — was given eight years probation and was ordered to seek treatment after being convicted of fourth-degree rape in 2008, the records show.

Officials managed to keep the case away from the public spotlight until this month — when his ex-wife, Tracy Richards, filed a lawsuit seeking compensatory and punitive damages for abusing their daughter and son, the News Journal reported.

Richards, 47 — whose great-grandfather is du Pont family patriarch Irenee du Pont — has never been criminally charged for crimes against his son.

The recently filed litigation claims that the father — who lives in a $1.8 million mansion near Winterthur Museum — raped his daughter, now 11, several times beginning in 2005, according to the newspaper.

Two years later, when the girl was 5 years old, she told her grandmother, Donna Burg, that she was being sexually abused by Richards, court documents show.

The little girl said her father told her it was “our little secret,” but said she didn’t want the man touching her anymore, according to the court docs.

Tracy Richards, after Burg told her of the sickening abuse, confronted her then-husband and had him arrested for raping the child.

Richards used “his family’s wealth and position in the community” to hire an expensive defense team and denied the charges, according to the lawsuit obtained by the News Journal.

But after failing a polygraph test, he admitted to abusing the little girl. Richards allegedly told investigators “he was ill and that he needed medical treatment,” the lawsuit said.

Richards pleaded guilty in 2008 to fourth-degree rape — a deal that helped him dodge any jail time.

Superior Judge Jan Jurden sentenced Richards to eight years in prison, but suspended the time for probation that requires monthly visits with a case officer.

“Defendant will not fare well in Level 5 setting,” Jurden wrote in her sentencing order. In Delaware’s correctional system, Level 5 is prison.

Brendan J. O’Neill, a Delaware public defender, told the Detroit Free Press that the ruling may prompt the public to be skeptical of “how a person with great wealth may be treated by the system.”

But he defended the judge’s decision, saying sometimes people need help more than they deserve to be punished.

“It’s an extremely rare circumstance that prison serves the inmate well,” he told the paper. “Prison is to punish, to segregate the offender from society, and the notion that prison serves people well hasn’t proven to be true in most circumstances.”

But now Richard’s ex-wife is seeking justice by suing him for assault, negligence and negligent infliction of emotional distress on his two children, the News Journal reported.

The lawsuit claims that while taking another lie detector test in 2010, Richards allegedly told the examiner he began to sexually abuse his son in 2005 — when the boy was 19 months old.

The father allegedly confessed that he “was very concerned something happened with his son, but that he has repressed the memories,” according to the lawsuit.

Saying the abuse was “similar to what happened with his daughter,” Richards allegedly “promised that whatever I did to my son, I will never do it again,” the lawsuit said.

An attorney for the convicted pedophile’s ex-wife said the lawsuit is the first step in seeking justice.

“This self-confessed, admitted rapist and child abuser didn’t go to jail and, in fact, he stays in luxury where he’s always been,” said the lawyer, Thomas C. Crumplar.
-end

Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/cri...ticle-1.1740180

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Apr 2nd, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2014 10:32 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

This is horrific, but is focusing on his millionaire status the right focus here? I get that it wouldn't have happened to many others in different socioeconomic classes. But in and of itself, being rich isn't a fault. Selective treatment of the rich, sure, f*ck it to hell. But this sort of spin on these stories teaches people to hate affluent people just because, which is a dangerous precedent.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2014 10:36 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

I'm of the opinion that ALL pedos need treatment, not just rich people.

Prison should be a means of protecting society from harmful people. Pedophiles are generally considered harmful to society which is why they almost always get prison time if the do any pedo stuff.

So, yeah, treatment is probably not enough. He should be put into prison while being treated until several professionals deem him worthy to integrate, conditionally, back into society. There is a reason they are called "Correctional Facilities."

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2014 10:37 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Digi
This is horrific, but is focusing on his millionaire status the right focus here? I get that it wouldn't have happened to many others in different socioeconomic classes. But in and of itself, being rich isn't a fault. Selective treatment of the rich, sure, f*ck it to hell. But this sort of spin on these stories teaches people to hate affluent people just because, which is a dangerous precedent.
Considering the guy avoided jail cos of his wealth, I don't see why the focus wouldn't be on his wealth and connections.

I don't think it teaches to hate affluent people in blanket terms. IMO, it tells us to hate affluent people who use their wealth as a 'get out of jail' card and the system that is set up to allow them to do it. eg I didn't read this and then have bad thoughts about Bill Gates or the like just cos.

Old Post Apr 2nd, 2014 10:39 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Robtard
Considering the guy avoided jail cos of his wealth, I don't see why the focus wouldn't be on his wealth and connections.

I don't think it teaches to hate affluent people in blanket terms. IMO, it tells us to hate affluent people who use their wealth as a 'get out of jail' card and the system that is set up to allow them to do it. eg I didn't read this and then have bad thoughts about Bill Gates or the like just cos.

You didn't, no. And we're on a dinky internet forum, so it's not like there's a ton of reach. But headlines like these do carry an angle to them, and do influence people toward certain irrational conclusions.

Sorry, it's just the PR/Marketing rep in me. I can't help but see how these things can influence others.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2014 02:12 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Fair enough and point taken.

Old Post Apr 3rd, 2014 05:10 PM
Mindship
Snap out of it.

Originally posted by Robtard
"An attorney for the convicted pedophile’s ex-wife said the lawsuit is the first step in seeking justice."
Time for some dark alley justice...

Shinier than a speeding bullet.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2014 02:25 PM
Mindship is currently offline Click here to Send Mindship a Private Message Find more posts by Mindship Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheGodKiller02
True Killer

Originally posted by Digi
This is horrific, but is focusing on his millionaire status the right focus here?

Considering that that is what saved him from incarceration, yes, it absolutely is.

Old Post Apr 4th, 2014 03:13 PM
TheGodKiller02 is currently offline Click here to Send TheGodKiller02 a Private Message Find more posts by TheGodKiller02 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote