Things you hate about the prequals

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

PTforthewin
The fact that there is no super tactical droids or commando droids

focus4chumps
apart from some palpatine and dueling scenes...pretty much the whole thing.

JediRobin23
Well the palpatine vs windy duel could have been a lot better....except for the lightning messing palpatine up scene. Man I can't believe that was almost 10 years ago

Sith Master X
I was thinking the same thing about it almost being 10 years old the other day, hardly seems like a day has passed.

What I didn't like? Well I really think they used way too much CGI, and in my opinion I thought the dialogue was just awful...oh and I didn't like Jar Jar very much. God was he annoying!

Did anyone notice how when Padme fell out of the ship she told the clone trooper "we've got to get to that hanger." How did she know Anakin & Obi-Wan landed in a hanger? Is she maybe force sensitive or was this just another gaping plot-hole devised by Uncle George?

I swear that guy has zero right breathing the same air as I do.

peluffo
The political plot, Palpatine's rise to power is the only thing I really enjoy about them. Maybe someday I'll do some edition of a single "flashback" episode to see it before the OT, with a little documental-like minutes about the war, and the nice way Palpatine uses everyone.
But I would love to do it with phisical film, not on a Hard disk, to get the satisfaction to cut and then step over the Annakin and jarjar parts.

queeq

beedubaya
I don't hate the prequels like a lot of people seem to. I enjoyed them all in the theater and actually thought Revenge of the Sith was almost on par with the OT. However, there are a few things that really bug me about them

1. Of course Jar Jar Binks. He shouldn't have been in the movies period. Comic relief should be both likable and funny like C-3PO was. Jar Jar is neither.

2. Anakin accidentally destroying a Federation starship at the end of Episode I. In fact, Jake "TurboMan" Lloyd should have never been cast in that role. I didn't have any issues with Haydn Christiansen.

3. The constant, forced cramming of OT elements that were not essential to the story being told in the PT. We didn't need to see Chewbacca on Kashyyyk, or a young Greedo, or know that Boba Fett was a clone of Jengo Fett. We didn't need to know that Anakin built C-3PO. We didn't need to see the early plans for the Death Star on Geonosis or even the beginning stages of construction in Episode 3. This, in my opinion, was the absolute biggest flaw in the prequel trilogy.

Lord Lucien
That's it? 3 things? What sort of food do you eat that makes you forgiving of cinematic sewage?

queeq
laughing out loud

King Joker
Jar Jar is a comedic genius! What's wrong with y'all?

queeq
Errr....

realslimshady25
Joker aren't you 14?

beedubaya
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
That's it? 3 things? What sort of food do you eat that makes you forgiving of cinematic sewage?

Cinematic sewage is a matter of opinion.

The three things I listed were the biggest, glaring flaws in the prequels in my opinion. Of course there are other problems with them. They aren't perfect movies. The original trilogy isn't perfect either. There are multiple cringe-worthy moments in A New Hope.

JediRobin23
Originally posted by beedubaya
I don't hate the prequels like a lot of people seem to. I enjoyed them all in the theater and actually thought Revenge of the Sith was almost on par with the OT. However, there are a few things that really bug me about them

1. Of course Jar Jar Binks. He shouldn't have been in the movies period. Comic relief should be both likable and funny like C-3PO was. Jar Jar is neither.

2. Anakin accidentally destroying a Federation starship at the end of Episode I. In fact, Jake "TurboMan" Lloyd should have never been cast in that role. I didn't have any issues with Haydn Christiansen.

3. The constant, forced cramming of OT elements that were not essential to the story being told in the PT. We didn't need to see Chewbacca on Kashyyyk, or a young Greedo, or know that Boba Fett was a clone of Jengo Fett. We didn't need to know that Anakin built C-3PO. We didn't need to see the early plans for the Death Star on Geonosis or even the beginning stages of construction in Episode 3. This, in my opinion, was the absolute biggest flaw in the prequel trilogy.

I agree with some of these points. I cut jar jar some slack as I ignored him and focused on the rest of the movie. However, I thought it was cool that they showed the building of the Death Star in ep2. Just unfortunate that they didn't show just a little bit more about aside from the ending scenes....

queeq

The three things I listed were the biggest, glaring flaws in the prequels in my opinion. Of course there are other problems with them. They aren't perfect movies. The original trilogy isn't perfect either. There are multiple cringe-worthy moments in A New Hope.

True, but there is a major difference between the OT and the PT. The OT has heart.

Lord Lucien

The three things I listed were the biggest, glaring flaws in the prequels in my opinion. Of course there are other problems with them. They aren't perfect movies. The original trilogy isn't perfect either. There are multiple cringe-worthy moments in A New Hope. Those three are "the most glaring"? Those three things? They're all bad, but as films, those three things are just three spectators in an entire stadium of problems. And the noise from that stadium is deafening.

"Most glaring three..." Did you only see a select 20 minute clip of the prequels mashed together?

Originally posted by realslimshady25
Joker aren't you 14? Aren't you only 12?

Sith Master X
I wonder if any of these glaring problems wouldn't otherwise be "glaring" if the prequels didn't have the original trilogy to be compared to.

Just sayin...

I really feel for the Farrelly Brothers. I got to see a rough cut of Dumb and Dumber To in March. It was a good little movie that will otherwise be masked by individuals who are going to compare every single frame of the sequel to the original.

JediRobin23
Pt wasn't that bad. The storey was told. I'm sure there's gonna be those who are gonna bad mouth ep 7+ for there own reasons

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by Sith Master X
I wonder if any of these glaring problems wouldn't otherwise be "glaring" if the prequels didn't have the original trilogy to be compared to.
No, they wouldn't be. But the PT is three things: 1.) a bad Star Wars series, 2.) a bad prequel series, and 3.) a bad film series. Take away the OT (and still somehow have the PT, but hypotheticals and all that...) and you only remove the first two. The PT would still be a bad film series, regardless of it's status as "Star Wars Prequels."

Originally posted by JediRobin23
Pt wasn't that bad. The storey was told. I'm sure there's gonna be those who are gonna bad mouth ep 7+ for there own reasons There are people who bad mouth anything for any reason. The trick is to sift through "the haters" and come to a genuine understanding of why something is disliked. The PT has been analyzed to death over the last 10+ years, it's tremendous failings have been dissected and preserved all over the internet. It was a bad series for a reason. Many reasons.

JediRobin23
Originally posted by Lord Lucien
No, they wouldn't be. But the PT is three things: 1.) a bad Star Wars series, 2.) a bad prequel series, and 3.) a bad film series. Take away the OT (and still somehow have the PT, but hypotheticals and all that...) and you only remove the first two. The PT would still be a bad film series, regardless of it's status as "Star Wars Prequels."

There are people who bad mouth anything for any reason. The trick is to sift through "the haters" and come to a genuine understanding of why something is disliked. The PT has been analyzed to death over the last 10+ years, it's tremendous failings have been dissected and preserved all over the internet. It was a bad series for a reason. Many reasons.

So. Do you expect ep7 to be any different and let the people dissect it for years to come..

Lord Lucien
I expect it will be better handled. It'll be dissected surely as any popular movie from a classic franchise will be. But I'm willing to bet the vitriol leveled at the sequels will be nothing compared to the prequels. They serve at least as a good litmus test for what not to do with a Star Wars films. Or any film, for that matter.

queeq
I agree. Where the OT succeeded from a rather absurd concept was due to adhering to basic storytelling principles and with a string believe that visual fx where only there to serve the story.
In the PT ALL storytelling principles were ditched, the directing became stale, unimaginative and boring and the visual seems to be the only reason many scenes where made.

Ace Hambone
Originally posted by queeq
I agree. Where the OT succeeded from a rather absurd concept was due to adhering to basic storytelling principles and with a string believe that visual fx where only there to serve the story.
In the PT ALL storytelling principles were ditched, the directing became stale, unimaginative and boring and the visual seems to be the only reason many scenes where made.

Smaller budget (at least for. ANH) and more limited technology was a benefit in that regard for the OT. Had he the means, GL might have made the OT all Baroque like he did the PT.

Ace Hambone
For me, the most ridiculous thing about the PT was a society that elects 14 year old girls to be their rulers. Has GL never met a 14 year old girl?

queeq
laughing out loud

Originally posted by Ace Hambone
Smaller budget (at least for. ANH) and more limited technology was a benefit in that regard for the OT. Had he the means, GL might have made the OT all Baroque like he did the PT.

He would have, I think. I your read The Making of Return of the Jedi you can see the PT Lucas emerging. And yes, there was more room on the budget, Lucas had a lot of ideas laying around he wanted in, and he started pushing certain concepts that didn't quite work. Interestingly enough, although he had some resistance from Kasdan, the way Lucas made ANH and the other prequels was more like that... Seemd like there were no more no-men around then, only yes-men.

queeq
Yes?

Kickballjedi
All the other horrible aspects of the PT aside, the thing I hate most is the fact there was great story in there somewhere. A dramatic story of an evil force destroying a noble republic from the inside, a samurai born with a powerful destiny who broke all traditions and wanted to change the world to protect his wife and baby. A war of endless, mindless robots against endless duplicated clones on a galactic scale. Done correctly, this would've blown the doors off the OT.

The ST will have a much easier time because it's breaking new ground. The PT was going in one direction and everybody knew how it would end. How it got there is what depresses most of us hardcore fans.

queeq
Yeah, well... I think that's where good film makers come in. I think a good example is probably Titanic and Valkyrie. Even though we all know how it ends, these movies still captivated the audience. So a known outcome is not necessarily a problem.

Ace Hambone
One problem is that all of that PT Grand Story is difficult to tell fully in a short series of movies. The OT worked in part because it chose a pivotal moment in the Grand Story and showed it to us through the eyes of a little team assembled by Artoo whose personal moments of personal growth intersected with the larger narrative. (Luke's coming of age, and the redemptions of Kenobi, Vader and Solo.)

The PT tried to do too much and fell under its own weight.

Titanic was more like the OT in that it used the Grand Story as backdrop for a very personal (albeit cheesy!) story.

queeq
Yes, Titanic was cheesy. But as I said, it captivated the audience. And I think you're right. In the OT (as in Titanic) the Grand Story (if it was a story at all) was used as backdrop for a human story. The PT is almost like the telling of what was wrong with the Titanic and how exactly the iceberg caused the ship to sink... Good analogy since the PT is often just as captivating as an iceberg. And just as unwieldy. wink

Ace Hambone
I like cheese!

Lord Lucien
QR2FYemIokE

queeq
laughing out loud

JediRobin23
Hey didn't myth busters prove that jack or Leo could have survived by jumping on the floating door. There was enough boyouncy to hold them both. So inaccurate and Star Wars gets a hard time...

Sith Master X
Remember when Geroge Lucas said Episode III would be "Titanic in space"

http://i.imgur.com/q5YBjIR.png

queeq
He did?

Originally posted by JediRobin23
Hey didn't myth busters prove that jack or Leo could have survived by jumping on the floating door. There was enough boyouncy to hold them both. So inaccurate and Star Wars gets a hard time...

Just proves Jack was dumb...

~JP~
Honestly, I didn't hate the prequels. There are two things that I really, really didn't like in the prequels (outside of the fact that Lucas can't write dialog for crap), were the character Jar Jar Binks and that they killed off Maul and kept Dooku. Other than that I enjoy them. I love the OT more, mainly because I was 16 when A New Hope came out and I saw it the day it came out so I totally understand SMX's point of view because the PT is what hooked him for the most part.

Although Queeq, I still do, and always will think that the ROTS novelization was far and away the best ending to the saga. stick out tongue

Lord Lucien
Originally posted by ~JP~
Although Queeq, I still do, and always will think that the ROTS novelization was far and away the best ending to the saga. stick out tongue http://elia.jootamam.net/kuvat/random/asdd/approval_nod.gif

Ace Hambone
Well, gosh, with endorsements like that, I just may have to go out and read it!

~JP~
It's very much worth the read. Of course, if THAT had been the the movie, you would have had to tack on another hour. LOL

queeq
The book WAS better. Weird, because it was based on the script. Proves to me Lucas failed to transfer his ideas to film. And that is extremely disappointing.

JediRobin23
Haha

http://youtu.be/R6QnjXUtD_A

queeq
Funny.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.