Top 5 LOTR games

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
LOTR is a great universe for expanding upon in the world of gaming. Name your top 5 here!

1. Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor

2. LOTR: War in the North

3. LOTR: Return of the King (Xbox)

4. The Hobbit (2003) (Xbox) (Yes, that counts)

5. LOTR: Conquest

-Pr-
Assuming it's allowed, i'll bite.

1. Battle for Middle Earth/2/ROTWK on PC. As a series, man I wasted so many hours playing those games.
2. ROTK/TTT on PS2. Brilliantly executed games.
3. Shadow of Mordor.
4. War in the North.
5. War of the Ring.

Ushgarak
I liked War in Middle Earth from 1988... I suspect not many here played that. Or the original The Hobbit game.

Five would be pushing it for me- but Lord of the Rings Online isn't bad, as games of that type go.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by -Pr-
Assuming it's allowed, i'll bite.

1. Battle for Middle Earth/2/ROTWK on PC. As a series, man I wasted so many hours playing those games.
2. ROTK/TTT on PS2. Brilliantly executed games.
3. Shadow of Mordor.
4. War in the North.
5. War of the Ring.

Could you tell me a bit more about "War of the Ring"? I've never heard of it.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Could you tell me a bit more about "War of the Ring"? I've never heard of it.

It was an RTS game, but from what I could tell it was based more on the books than the movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lord_of_the_Rings:_War_of_the_Ring

It wasn't the most amazing game ever, but it was solid and fun enough.

Originally posted by Ushgarak
I liked War in Middle Earth from 1988... I suspect not many here played that. Or the original The Hobbit game.

Five would be pushing it for me- but Lord of the Rings Online isn't bad, as games of that type go.

I tried LOTRO, and ended up feeling terrible when I couldn't get in to it because I like the "look" of the films, and it didn't seem to be in the game at the time.

Ushgarak
Nah they don't have the film part of the licence (minus a terrible attempt to match the feel of the LOTR film score for the opening screen- the rest of LOTRO's music isn't bad, but that wasn't a good start).

But aside from aggravating MMO conventions (I shouldn't be fighting large mobs of huorns in the Old Forest and definitely not legions of damn trolls, anywhere!) they've done great work in getting a lot of the style. The landscape and travelling is very good and if you are the type to get 'into' quest text, that's good as well.

Jmanghan
I had a clan on LOTRO, I later found out a bunch of the mods from the clan made their own LOTRO forum based on the clan, if I remembered my username or password, I'd come back in a heartbeat.

Jmanghan
Btw, anyone tried Aragorn's Quest for Wii/PS3?

-Pr-
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Nah they don't have the film part of the licence (minus a terrible attempt to match the feel of the LOTR film score for the opening screen- the rest of LOTRO's music isn't bad, but that wasn't a good start).

But aside from aggravating MMO conventions (I shouldn't be fighting large mobs of huorns in the Old Forest and definitely not legions of damn trolls, anywhere!) they've done great work in getting a lot of the style. The landscape and travelling is very good and if you are the type to get 'into' quest text, that's good as well.

I usually am. It's just sad that it would take being "in the movies" to drag me away from SWTOR. I only have time to deal with one MMO at a time lol.

Btw, anyone tried Aragorn's Quest for Wii/PS3?

nope.

Jmanghan
I usually am. It's just sad that it would take being "in the movies" to drag me away from SWTOR. I only have time to deal with one MMO at a time lol.

nope. Any sensible human being would find LOTRO more appealing then SWTOR, my friend. SW: Galaxies was far better

-Pr-
Any sensible human being would find LOTRO more appealing then SWTOR, my friend. SW: Galaxies was far better

laughing out loud

It's a long time since anyone called me sensible, tbh.

Besides, I'm really enjoying how story-driven SWTOR is.

Ushgarak
Oh it's certainly SWTOR season right now; LOTRO is on my back burner, but it will gets its chance again. I want to see it through to Mordor.

Jmanghan
laughing out loud

It's a long time since anyone called me sensible, tbh.

Besides, I'm really enjoying how story-driven SWTOR is.

LOTRO has far funner gameplay, you have an invincible feeling, and the first mission is between you and Strider, you get to fight the Witch-King and Saruman.

StiltmanFTW
GBA ones by Griptonite Games were f*cking perfect.

TTT, TROTK and The Third Age.

NewGuy01
The Third Age is my favorite, probably.

ares834
1. Return of the King (I had it for Gamecube)
2. Battle for Middle Earth 2
3. Battle for Middle Earth
4. The Two Towers
5. Shadow of Mordor

The Third Age wasn't bad but the ending really ruined the game for me. It was so damn stupid.

Trocity
No love for the Battlefront clone, Conquest?

Jk. stick out tongue

War in the North is my favorite.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by ares834
The Third Age wasn't bad but the ending really ruined the game for me. It was so damn stupid.

Play the GBA version to find the greatness, little one.

cdtm
Lego Lord of the Rings is best.

Jmanghan
War in the North, Conquest, Return of The King for Xbox and PS2, Shadow of Morder, all 3 Battle for Middle Earth games.

(Honorable mention for The Hobbit on PS2 and Xbox, as well as LOTR Tactics for PSP)

Kazenji
Of the ones that i've played

Lord of the rings return of the king game
Shadow of Mordor
Lego LOTR

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.