Michael Moore calls snipers "cowards"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Impediment
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/19/entertainment/feat-michael-moore-sniper-tweet-feat/

Conveniently after the release of American Sniper, too.

What a piece of shit. I hope this guy dies a horrible, fiery death.

Thoughts?

Tzeentch
This is Moore's response to the incident:

Time Immemorial
I just bought a new gun, and **** him.

Omega Vision
Michael Moore gave us Canadian Bacon. After that he hasn't really done anything.

Who cares that some faded Hollywood rabble rouser said some shit on twitter?

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Impediment
http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/19/entertainment/feat-michael-moore-sniper-tweet-feat/

Thoughts?

I was thinking about going to see the movie. Now I am going to see it.

Robtard
Found the "don't believe in a fair fight" in reference to war to be funny.

Quincy
What's the big deal?

So he was raised to think snipers were cowards. I'd feel the same way if a relative of mine was shot by a sniper.

Tzeentch
I would, as well.

I've been kind of scratching my head about the situation as well.

Digi
I don't really agree with Moore here, but the hatred being leveled against him for expressing an opinion is ridiculous. We've learned that if you yell loud enough and get the media on your side, you can control the narrative of a story and squelch discussion and debate. It's created a culture of reactionary outbursts aimed more at garnering attention than considering opposing arguments. Social media and internet discussion boards only amplify this trend.

Time Immemorial
So if snipers are cowards and they are in a protection over watch of the people they are looking out for, what does that make the soldiers on the ground.

I used to like Moore..

Shabazz916
snipers are like hunters...also like a sucker puncher

dadudemon
Originally posted by Robtard
Found the "don't believe in a fair fight" in reference to war to be funny.

You're clearly just a newb who knows nothing about the human slaughtering customs. Quite clearly, we need arbitrary rules of conduct for human slaughter to make ourselves feel better about it.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Digi
I don't really agree with Moore here, but the hatred being leveled against him for expressing an opinion is ridiculous. We've learned that if you yell loud enough and get the media on your side, you can control the narrative of a story and squelch discussion and debate. It's created a culture of reactionary outbursts aimed more at garnering attention than considering opposing arguments. Social media and internet discussion boards only amplify this trend.
I found that social media and its netizens are prohibitive/oppressive when it comes to criticisms or opinions that are against the socio-geographically accepted norms or trends.

Omega Vision
I don't think sniping is "cowardly."

Real snipers are different from sharpshooters (not that sharpshooters are necessarily cowards either). Real snipers are guys who go out with a day's worth of rations for a three day mission in the desert, who have to drag a hundred pounds of gear (they are helped by their spotter, of course) up a broken fire escape so that they can post up, are often left behind enemy lines, and go to war with the knowledge that because they're so hated, if captured they'll most likely be treated horribly.

Mindship
I wonder how he'd feel if his uncle had been saved by a sniper.

ares834
Originally posted by Quincy
What's the big deal?

So he was raised to think snipers were cowards. I'd feel the same way if a relative of mine was shot by a sniper.

Yeah, I'm not seeing a huge problem either.

Time Immemorial
A movie makes money relating to past and current events..people go nuts.

Michael Moore makes movies about the same thing but its a different tune. People give him a pass.

ares834
laughing out loud

People ***** about Moore films all the time.

BackFire
Who's going nuts about American Sniper? It's gotten good reviews and has had a positive reception.

The only people I see going nuts I see are those flipping out because Seth Rogan said it reminded him of the propaganda film in Inglorious Basterds, and so, of course, to these people, that means he hates America and doesn't support the troops. Not realizing that by acting in such a way proves his point.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by ares834
laughing out loud

People ***** about Moore films all the time.

The ones that don't agree, he tells a story from a bias viewpoint. This story actually is true.

Robtard
Originally posted by Time Immemorial
A movie makes money relating to past and current events..people go nuts.

Michael Moore makes movies about the same thing but its a different tune. People give him a pass.

Michael Moore got a loads of shit for his films (much of it deserved), even in "Sicko" where his critics where more relaxed since he took the approach of letting the interviewed people tell their story instead of the film being about a confrontational fugly fat guy getting into people's faces, the US government still gave him shit since he went and filmed in Cuba.

Time Immemorial
There is a difference between a coward such as a Michael Moore and a American hero like Chris Kyle.

Robtard
Yeah, I'm sure there are many differences between both men. Was just letting you know that Moore gets lots of criticism himself/his films

Here's something you in particular might like about Moore: He's highly critical of Obama and is disappointed that Obama will only be remembered as the first black president because of his skin and not his policies. ie Moore feels Obama blew it.

Time Immemorial
I wait for every opportunity for Obama to be the president he should be. Honestly it does not make me happy to see him as a failure. I'm looking to 2016 now. Or a good last two years of him kicking some ass. But I believe his agenda is set.

BackFire
He's in his lame duck session now, there's not much he can actually do from here on out.

Time Immemorial
Originally posted by BackFire
He's in his lame duck session now, there's not much he can actually do from here on out.

Why not tax the fck outa corporations and billionaires, make ACA a real universal insurance and pay off debt?

BackFire
Because both houses of congress is now republican and so he won't be able to do anything at all because they'll just block everything he attempts.

Time Immemorial
They might block him on raising taxes but they would not block him on immigration, debt and improving ACA.

riv6672

Thoughts?
As a former Soldier i take guys like him/comments like this with a smile.
He's free to say what he likes.
People like the ones he puts down have made sure of it.

BackFire
They might block him on raising taxes but they would not block him on immigration, debt and improving ACA.

They sure would. They'd block anything he attempts to do with ACA aside from completely repealing it.

Time Immemorial
Why would they block trying to pay debt down?

Robtard
Why would they block trying to pay debt down?

It's the second half of a Democratic President's second term, the Republicans want the country to be in the worst shape possible come 2016, so they can point the finger at what a terrible job Obama/Democrats did while presenting the waxed and polished ******* of Mitch McConnell to the American voter as a saving halo of light

I don't know if McConnell will even run or be the nominee if he does, would be great to see from an entertainment standpoint, but woe the day if he should become president

Time Immemorial
Here is some good news

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stars-voice-support-for-american-sniper/?ftag=YHF4eb9d17

Oneness
They're the archers of modern warfare.

Robtard
Spear, sling, atlatl, bow, crossbow, sniper-rifle. Such was the progression of the sniper

Omega Vision
Who's going nuts about American Sniper? It's gotten good reviews and has had a positive reception.

The only people I see going nuts I see are those flipping out because Seth Rogan said it reminded him of the propaganda film in Inglorious Basterds, and so, of course, to these people, that means he hates America and doesn't support the troops. Not realizing that by acting in such a way proves his point.
That is actually a pretty spot on comparison.

meep-meep

meep-meep
What I meant about "they" was people who might agree with MM.

Quincy
Well as far as I've heard, there are people who while in the theater cheered for every headshot and death that Bradley Cooper fired. Which is kind of exactly like Inglorious Basterds, down to the audience watching. That is a similarity.

Plus it seems anyone at this point who says "American Sniper? Meh." Is seemingly accused of being un-patriotic, or an *******, or disrespectful in some manner.

dadudemon
Because both houses of congress is now republican and so he won't be able to do anything at all because they'll just block everything he attempts.

Nah. That's not a Republican only "feature." That's a Democrat and GOP "feature." Neither is going to be the first to propose tax hikes and deep budget cuts. That would be political suicide.

It's not just the GOP.

Edit - I should note that support for and against various things are found in both major parties.

For instance, 13 Republicans voted for allowing a single payer system:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/07/31/13-republicans-voted-to-a_n_249026.html

That doesn't fit the typical anti-GOP agenda many liberals have.

It doesn't just stop with the GOP having diverse political positions (and actual voting records). It happens in the Democratic party, too. For example, Blue Dog Democrats:

http://uspolitics.about.com/od/democrats/a/Blue-Dog-Democrat.htm

Spawningpool
I want him to define a "fair fight"

Omega Vision
As for the Rogen thing, I think people are distorting his comment. He's not saying that Chris Kyle was like a Nazi or that the US Army is a fascist organization, he's saying that it's a little offputting that people are so uncritically accepting him as a heroic figure and are almost glorifying the fact that he claimed to kill dozens of people. I do venerate famous soldiers in history for their heroism, but at the same time I can't ever get past how horrible it must be to kill other people, regardless of context.

I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on how it treats the subject of war, but from the audience response, and from the criticism aimed at Rogen for a not-particularly anti-military tweet, it seems like it's serving as a war propaganda piece, if perhaps unintentionally, and we should always be on guard against war propaganda in any form.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I haven't seen the movie, so I can't comment on how it treats the subject of war, but from the audience response, and from the criticism aimed at Rogen for a not-particularly anti-military tweet, it seems like it's serving as a war propaganda piece, if perhaps unintentionally, and we should always be on guard against war propaganda in any form.

Did you read my post on the film?

Basically, it does a great job of showing both sides. It shows how douchy/assholish the US Solidiers were and how poorly they treated the Iraqi people. It also showed how disgusting some of the Iraqi insurgents treated their own people (and Coalition Forces/US Soldiers).

Where it gets propogandy is at the very end and it basically turns into a Chris Kyle tribute montage. I'm okay with that because the f*cking movie is really about Chris Kyle, the American Sniper, lol!

Cooper's acting is superb at parts. Ridiculously well-done. I bet you he hung out with real veterans that had PTSD because he seemed to capture a bit too well. He may get nominated or win an academy award for it.

Robtard
Yeah, I really don't understand the "it's a pro war film" comments. Eastwood did a good job at showing how shitty war and being in one is.

Mindset
Why did they make a movie about Chris Kyle?

Tzeentch
Haven't heard much criticisms about it being too 'murica **** yah, but I have heard rumblings that many of the incidences Kyle wrote about in the book, which subsequently were adapted into the film, were either embellished by him or straight up didn't actually happen. I've also heard that Kyle was a bit of a shithead/psychotic monster and the movie portrayed him more sympathetically than his real persona deserved (ala Captain Philips, who in real life was apparently a bit of an ******* and didn't give a **** about the lives of his crew).

Dunno how accurate those criticisms are, but.

Robtard
Film portrayed him as a man obsessed with what he saw as his duty and you definitely felt sympathy for the him at times.

*:
-When he's forced to kill a very young child
-When he comes back to the US for some leave and he can't
cope being a family-man because all he can think of is his fellow soldiers dying back in Iraq
-When his resolve finally cracks in Iraq after he's had enough
-When he calls his wife while in the states and has an emotional breakdown

Can't recall more off the top of my head

I imagine the film wouldn't have been giving the okay if the script portrayed the "American hero" as being a psychotic *******, regardless of truth.

Mindset
Originally posted by Robtard
Film portrayed him as a man obsessed with what he saw as his duty and you definitely felt sympathy for the him at times.

*:
-When he's forced to kill a very young child
-When he comes back to the US for some leave and he can't
cope being a family-man because all he can think of is his fellow soldiers dying back in Iraq
-When his resolve finally cracks in Iraq after he's had enough
-When he calls his wife while in the states and has an emotional breakdown

Can't recall more off the top of my head

I imagine the film wouldn't have been giving the okay if the script portrayed the "American hero" as being a psychotic *******, regardless of truth. This movie sounds pretty cliche.

Is it actually worth watching?

Robtard
Worth watching, but outside of Cooper's performance(not his best btw), the film doesn't bring anything new/original to us imo.

P-Geyser
Didn't Seth Rogen also criticize the film?

Robtard
Seth Rogen also hates America

P-Geyser
laughing out loud yeah. I just checked on him, and he Compared Eastwood's film, to "Nazi Propaganda"

Quincy
Originally posted by P-Geyser
laughing out loud yeah. I just checked on him, and he Compared Eastwood's film, to "Nazi Propaganda"

Nah dude he said it reminded him of the fake movie in inglorious basterds. About a sniper shooting down enemy soldiers and the audience cheering along

Lestov16
Nah dude he said it reminded him of the fake movie in inglorious basterds. About a sniper shooting down enemy soldiers and the audience cheering along

Well I guess Seth hasn't seen the movie then. I was certainly not cheering along when Chris had to shoot a mother and her son, and Chris wasn't cheering either. People seem to think this movie is like Act Of Valor when it is really a tragic story about a guy with enormous PTSD. If anything, it's similar to The Hurt Locker in the way it shows the despair of the Iraq War.

P-Geyser

Gotcha. I recall skimming through the newspaper, and they had his and Moore's name together commenting on the film.

Rascaduanok
Snipers, eh? ****ing spawn campers!

SayWhat

Thoughts?

As long as he is obese, he will either die of cancer, heart attack or brain stroke. Or from diabetes, losing one toe and finger at a time, then maybe a foot or hand, then leg and arm and eyesight. So, in the final analysis, he just might have a horrible painful death.

Lestov16
Damn Michael......

http://redalertpolitics.com/2015/01/26/michael-moore-tried-save-lives-sniper-ever-hope/

Impediment
What a piece of dog shit.

Tzeentch
I think he's mostly right, personally. I could understand why some vets may take offense to his statements, but he's right that at the end of the day the war in Iraq was pointless, should never have happened and more of our boys would be alive today if it hadn't.

Impediment
I agree, but those men and women who served our country, the ones who died and were seriously injured, volunteered of their own free will to join the United States Military to serve their country, no matter what the cost. They wrote a blank check at the cost of their lives.

Our veterans don't deserve ANY of what Michael Moore is spewing, and they certainly deserve better then what they are receiving for benefits.

Tzeentch
Can't argue with that. I read a great article recently about our paradoxical treatment of vets. Lemme see if we can find it.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Tzeentch
I think he's mostly right, personally. I could understand why some vets may take offense to his statements, but he's right that at the end of the day the war in Iraq was pointless, should never have happened and more of our boys would be alive today if it hadn't.
I think he comes off as much more reasonable than the assholes in the comments section who just jump to the same "Y u hate teh troops?" bullmess as if they didn't read all the evidence that he holds the troops in high esteem and just hates hawkish foreign policy.

Bardock42
So you guys all loved Abu Musab al-Zarqawi in American Sniper? Which part did you like the most, when he shot the SEAL in that building and he choked on his blood or when he shot and blinded the guy who later died after proposing to his girlfriend?

Or is it just American snipers that are great an Iraqi ones are actually cowards?

Tzeentch
Better question, why do you hate American troops?

Bardock42
I don't hate American troops, I just find the glorification of them and the wars they are in distasteful. It's very sad when American soldiers die, but it's just as sad, maybe more so, since the US was actually invading a foreign country, when Iraqis die.

At any rate I don't agree with Moore that snipers are cowards, or conversely heroes, on the other hand I can understand the emotional reaction of someone whose family member was killed by one.

Tzeentch
So... basically you hate America and fap to 9/11.

Where do you live again? Sounds like you need some freedom.

Bentley

Maybe his way of loving Murica is fapping to 9/11 evil face

Omega Vision

Where do you live again? Sounds like you need some freedom.
Kick his ass, Blax. Bentley's got your back.

Time Immemorial
It's too bad Moores dad wasn't shot before he fathered that fat fck.

Spawningpool
I knew I wasn't the only one who faps to explosions

ares834

Agreed. Admittedly, he comes off as a bit of an ass hole in how he says it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.