Mara Jade/Darth Malgus vs. Corran Horn/Sora Bulq

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
*Lightsabers only round 1
*All out round 2

*Mara Jade Skywalker as of Sacrifice
*False Emperor Malgus

Battle takes place in the fields of Lothal

SunRazer
Team 1. Mara > Corran, and honestly Malgus > Bulq.

Angelalex242
Team 1, with ease.

Trocity
Team 1 stomps

S_W_LeGenD
Team 1 stomps.

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Originally posted by Trocity
Team 1 stomps

Vorpal Ruin
Originally posted by SunRazer
Team 1. Mara > Corran

Idk why people think this. Care to elaborate, beyond "she ambushed Caedus and still died" or whatever argument there is?

Mara=Corran imo, and so do(from NJO+era) Saba, Kyle Katarn, and possibly another master i'm forgetting.
Those 4 are quite even in combat, as best I can tell.

Angelalex242
Pretty much anyone who tries to take Caedus on directly not named Luke is going to get hosed. Jaina had to sabotage him first, Mara did her Batman tactics...

The difference is that Mara was batmanning a healthy Caedus, Jaina attacked a weakened one.

carthage
She had less circumstances involved than Caedus's duel with Jaina. And that showing with Corran was well before her prime, she's also beaten Nom Anor held her own against Lumiya in a brawl and killed scores of Vong as we'll. She's probably the most skilled here or at least even with Malgus as a duelist imo

Arhael
Originally posted by Vorpal Ruin
Idk why people think this. Care to elaborate, beyond "she ambushed Caedus and still died" or whatever argument there is?

Mara=Corran imo, and so do(from NJO+era) Saba, Kyle Katarn, and possibly another master i'm forgetting.
Those 4 are quite even in combat, as best I can tell.
Mara and Corran are more or less equal during their lightsaber sparring. But when Mara goes into her assassinate mode, she is plain more impressive.
Still Corran might be on level with Mara but unfortunately there is not much fights with him. His best feat is engaging 4 Sith simultaneously in Apocalypse and defeating them despite being injured before that.

SunRazer
Mara was more hindered than Corran in their spar - Corran only tired more quickly, whereas Mara had to devote some of her Force strength to fending off a disease that should've killed her.

Angelalex242
Yes. Recall Corran's weakness is TK. When Mara's not sick, she's pretty good at that, and will simply thrash him with the Force. During the duel, she was trying to not die by Vong Virus.

Vorpal Ruin
Originally posted by Arhael
Mara and Corran are more or less equal during their lightsaber sparring. But when Mara goes into her assassinate mode, she is plain more impressive.
Still Corran might be on level with Mara but unfortunately there is not much fights with him. His best feat is engaging 4 Sith simultaneously in Apocalypse and defeating them despite being injured before that.

I agree that in an assassination scenario Mara would have the advantage over Corran, but I don't see either holding the advantage in a all out fight in an open area. We typically don't use assassination scenarios in the forum though, and certainly not in this specific thread, so that's not really relevant.

I've read every book after the Jedi Academy trilogy, and there really was nothing that set Mara above Corran or vice versa. Again, I think that Mara, Kyle Katarn, Saba Sebatyne and Corran Horn are all very even as combatants. The only jedi that were shown to be more proficient than that group, in their era, were Luke Skywalker and the Solo twins. There are others, like Kyp Durron and potentially Anakin Solo that i'm not very comfortable placing, because I think Kyp may be slightly above those 4 masters, but only by a small margin.

Idk enough about Malgus or Sora Bulq to comment on them though.

Angelalex242
You've yet to explain how Corran's going to survive Mara's TK. Cause he can't.

Vorpal Ruin
Originally posted by Angelalex242

Unless the TK kills him instantly he will be able to send all that energy back at her. He may even use a mind trick to get himself a momentary advantage, like Caedus.

Angelalex242
Mara TKs him towards her, ragdoll style. And then Corran hugs a lightsaber in flight.

Hugging lightsabers is hazardous to your health.

Vorpal Ruin
Mara TKs him towards her, ragdoll style. And then Corran hugs a lightsaber in flight.

Very unlikely. What happens is that she will think she has pulled him to her and he is in a certain position, but in reality he is not exactly the way she sees him and he cuts her down with his extended lightsaber while being outside her range to strike.

Angelalex242
...You assume Mara, who's dealt with Palpatine in her younger years...

is weak minded enough to fall for that? I mean, seriously, after dealing with Sidious's nonsense, Corran's a piker.

Nephthys
Malgus solo's tbh. He can ragdoll both of them at once.

Vorpal Ruin
...You assume Mara, who's dealt with Palpatine in her younger years...

is weak minded enough to fall for that? I mean, seriously, after dealing with Sidious's nonsense, Corran's a piker.

You must be unfamiliar with Corran's ability. Now I see that it's simply a lack of knowledge on your part. Good day.

carthage
Originally posted by Nephthys
Malgus solo's tbh. He can ragdoll both of them at once.

Which he can't do in round 1 thumb up

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Team 1 stomps.

carthage
No one thought this was close in sabers, eh...

Arhael
He will absorb her TK and then either unleash it back at her or use it to form a Force barrier or create a powerful illusion.

Actually it doesn't have to be confined spaces or whatever other circumstances. It's a matter of tactics she chooses to take down her opponent.

In sparring she relied only on lightsaber skill. In real fight she uses all sorts of dirty tactics. For example, kicks and punches. Unorthodox style, where she uses a dagger together with lightsaber. She can simply go for a takedown and turn it into a brawl on the floor, she did it both against Lumiya and Caedus. She can even use a blaster. Basically in real fight Mara employes skills and techniques way outside regular Jedi range, which is what makes her so dangerous.

Little correction. She did not hold her own against Lumiya, she defeated her, Lumiya got saved by the ship before Mara could kill her.

SunRazer
How do you absorb telekinetic bursts? lol

I mean, Corran's absorbed explosions, stun batons, heat from volcanic springs, lightsaber blades, etc, but a TK blast really isn't the same, and I don't recall raw telekinesis being absorbed before - ever.

Raptor22
How do you absorb telekinetic bursts? lol

I mean, Corran's absorbed explosions, stun batons, heat from volcanic springs, lightsaber blades, etc, but a TK blast really isn't the same, and I don't recall raw telekinesis being absorbed before - ever. im pretty sure he absorbed kyps tk blast in the JA trilogy.

SunRazer
He got ragdolled by Kyp later on.

Could just be forgetting the instance, though.

ILS
Seems possible to absorb a telekinetic push/wave, since it's still just telekinetic energy. I imagine it'd be quite hard though.

Raptor22
I think its when kyp is possessed by kun. Iirc kyp tks him and corran absorbs it, the kyp charges one up and it overwhelms him. Ill try to find it later

SunRazer
I recall Kun hurling Corran around a kitchen, lol.

Angelalex242
...Why am I not surprised Kyp told Corran to stay in the kitchen? :P

Raptor22
It wasnt in the JA trilogy, it was actually in I Jedi. I flipped thru quickly on my lunch break but couldnt find it, but i found these quotes in another thread. Thanks go to Arhael for the quotes.

"Kyp struck at me again through the Force, but I expected it this time. I relaxed and let the Force energy flow over and through me. I absorbed enough of it to let me create a shield that split the attack. The fact that I didn't end up being ground back against the wall surprised him."

"Even though I braced myself for another attack, it did no good. Kyp's previous Force blows were like light breezes compared with a full-out gale. I slammed back into the wall with a teeth-rattling impact. As my body absorbed Force energy and fed it back out, the shield I'd created grew in size. More importantly, my surprise and survival instinct opened me up to the Force and allowed it to flow into the shield."

carthage
I, Jedi was apart of that trilogy? Aww I missed that one.

Raptor22
It wasnt actually part of the trilogy. It was written after but overlaps with the trilogy and retacons some of it. It basically retacons corran into the story

Vorpal Ruin
Originally posted by Raptor22
It wasnt in the JA trilogy, it was actually in I Jedi. I flipped thru quickly on my lunch break but couldnt find it, but i found these quotes in another thread. Thanks go to Arhael for the quotes.

"Kyp struck at me again through the Force, but I expected it this time. I relaxed and let the Force energy flow over and through me. I absorbed enough of it to let me create a shield that split the attack. The fact that I didn't end up being ground back against the wall surprised him."

"Even though I braced myself for another attack, it did no good. Kyp's previous Force blows were like light breezes compared with a full-out gale. I slammed back into the wall with a teeth-rattling impact. As my body absorbed Force energy and fed it back out, the shield I'd created grew in size. More importantly, my surprise and survival instinct opened me up to the Force and allowed it to flow into the shield."

I'm 99% sure that event did happen in the Jedi Academy trilogy, and not in the I, Jedi novel. I don't recall other jedi being involved in I, Jedi in any significant way, as it was Corran's own novel.

EmperorSidious2
Team 1

Vorpal Ruin
Originally posted by Raptor22
It wasnt actually part of the trilogy. It was written after but overlaps with the trilogy and retacons some of it. It basically retacons corran into the story

I never knew this, but a tiny bit of research does support it:

"I, Jedi is one of the few Star Wars novels that fully retcons events in another novel. In this case, the chain of events surrounding the early days of the Jedi Academy and Exar Kun's incapacitation of Luke Skywalker are altered to include Corran Horn, who was not originally present."

SunRazer
@Carthage - It's a re-writing of JA in the first-person perspective of Corran Horn.

Raptor22
Yep i just found it, it was from I, Jedi pg194-195. Corran did get overwhelmed from it after and ko'd from it after, but kyps a beast in tk and it specifically stated that kun was powering him.

"I hesitated because kyps words seemed to echo within themselves. It took me a second or two to figure out that the echo wasn't a purely auditory phenomenon. I was hearing kyps voice through my ears, but the undertones were coming to me through the force. We were not alone, which meant kyps mentor had come to aid his apprentice."

Thats the same kyp/kun combo whose tk ripped the suncrusher from the gravity well of yavins gas giant.

Emperordmb
Yeah, absorbing TK with tutaminus would be an impressive feat indeed. Any quotes for this?

Raptor22
Originally posted by Emperordmb
Yeah, absorbing TK with tutaminus would be an impressive feat indeed. Any quotes for this?

carthage
Wow Corran has better showings of barrier than I thought if he could withstand. TK attacks from an amped Kyp. Did that battle take place in the Temple of Exar Kun or Great temple on Yavin? Kyp was very powerful when amped, that's a good showing for Corran thumb up. I need to pick that book up tonight

SunRazer
Eh. Later Kyp destroys Corran with TK on his own.

Vorpal Ruin
Eh. Later Kyp destroys Corran with TK on his own.

To be fair, Kyp can destroy most people in a TK contest.

SunRazer
I know, I'm just saying Corran isn't blocking prime Kyp's TK.

Raptor22
Iirc kyp and corran were arguing during a masters council meeting and kyp surprise blasted him, then kenth hamner did the same back to kyp and sent him flying.

In my opinion neither kyps nor kenths blast prove much since they were surprise attacks.

I dont think corran is any more vulnerable to tk than anyone else. If u surprise him or get an opening u can tk him, but if hes ready for it he can absorb it. But the same pretty much goes for any tk user. If u surprise them or get an opening u can blast them but if their ready for it they can throw up a shield. Then it just becomes a question of how much power each individual can take. If anything i would think corran has an advantage over most since he can probably absorb most peoples tk better then thay can block his illusions, which were strong enough to fool luke and everyone at the academy. Luke saw thru it after a minute, but the others didnt until luke used the force to break the illusion on them.

SunRazer
The novel describes Corran as being unable to stop it anyway.

Corran's not vulnerable to it, he's just incapable of using it unless he uses Tutaminis beforehand.

Raptor22
Originally posted by carthage
Wow Corran has better showings of barrier than I thought if he could withstand. TK attacks from an amped Kyp. Did that battle take place in the Temple of Exar Kun or Great temple on Yavin? Kyp was very powerful when amped, that's a good showing for Corran thumb up. I need to pick that book up tonight The Great Temple

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.