A Superman thread that has never been done before.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Brockalizer
I was talking comics at work earlier today and a co-worker and I had an interesting discussion so I thought that I would bring it to the forum and get your input as well.
Suppose they decided to give The Man of Steel a more realistic appearance. What would it look like?

A.) The yellow sun provides energy much in the way food provides energy to everyone else. Would he have an overweight appearance, similar to maybe Volstag or Kingpin?

B. Among the abilities gained from the yellow sun is
perhaps an enhanced metabolism. Would this prevent him from putting on significant muscle mass and give him more of a gaunt appearance, similar to someone like Reed Richards or the Joker?

Stoic
Originally posted by Brockalizer
I was talking comics at work earlier today and a co-worker and I had an interesting discussion so I thought that I would bring it to the forum and get your input as well.
Suppose they decided to give The Man of Steel a more realistic appearance. What would it look like?

A.) The yellow sun provides energy much in the way food provides energy to everyone else. Would he have an overweight appearance, similar to maybe Volstag or Kingpin?

perhaps an enhanced metabolism. Would this prevent him from putting on significant muscle mass and give him more of a gaunt appearance, similar to someone like Reed Richards or the Joker?

A. ?

B. Superman shouldn't be overly muscular. He should actually look quite average, because no amount of weight under planetary or slightly less would give him a pump. I would also think that he would eventually begin to lose strength, due to the lack of gravity that someone of his strength class would naturally be used to. even lose bone density.

LordofBrooklyn

Superman is a solar battery, I don't think any of these issues would affect him in the manner you're presenting.

Being a man sized sun should have every aspect of his physiology operating at its peak.

Scoobless
Shouldn't he be radioactive?

DarkSaint85
He'd be green.

As he got angrier, the resultant testosterone and adrenaline boost would also make him stronger.

However, this would also make him more feral, as his higher brain functions gave way to the fight or flight response.

Blue Area Vet
Superman? A plausible explaination of his powers? Blahahhaaha! D.C. prefers the fuzzy logic approach.

Surtur
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
However, this would also make him more feral, as his higher brain functions gave way to the fight or flight response.

How do we know Kryptonian brains are the same?

abhilegend
Originally posted by Blue Area Vet
Superman? A plausible explaination of his powers? Blahahhaaha! D.C. prefers the fuzzy logic approach.
They actually have a pretty good explanation of his powers.

Not as scientific as"power cosmic" or "magical hammer" though.

mmm

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by abhilegend

mmm

Tbh, a better explanation would be if he fell into a vat of radiation.

abhilegend
Tbh, a better explanation would be if he fell into a vat of radiation.
Or a magical radioactive Spider bit him.

Or just a gene made him omnipotent to stuff reality in a box.

But surely using sun as a power source is just fuzzy. Not as impressive as a bomb giving someone an alternate personality powerful enough to destroy planets of course.

Blue Area Vet

mmm

Oh yeah, he's an alien, how could I forget?

Blue Area Vet
Or a magical radioactive Spider bit him.

Or just a gene made him omnipotent to stuff reality in a box.

But surely using sun as a power source is just fuzzy. Not as impressive as a bomb giving someone an alternate personality powerful enough to destroy planets of course.

All of those explanations are much better than Superman's super explanation for flatliners.

Brockalizer
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
Superman is a solar battery, I don't think any of these issues would affect him in the manner you're presenting.

Being a man sized sun should have every aspect of his physiology operating at its peak. I get what you're saying about essentially just being a battery, however, if memory serves me right I think that the fat cells in our bodies are like batteries. At least they act like batteries. If we don't eat our bodies get energy from fat reserves.
That being said, if we think if solar radiation as "food" for Superman, then anytime he is out during the day would be akin to a binge eating session. Combine that with there being very few things around that would actually get his cardio up and exercise his muscles (remember it took 5 days of benching the weight of the Earth yo even break a sweat) I would tend to lean more towards the overweight category. Perhaps he should talk to a mystic and ask them to put an enchantment on a treadmill or set of dumbbells.

Blue Area Vet
I get what you're saying about essentially just being a battery, however, if memory serves me right I think that the fat cells in our bodies are like batteries. At least they act like batteries. If we don't eat our bodies get energy from fat reserves.
That being said, if we think if solar radiation as "food" for Superman, then anytime he is out during the day would be akin to a binge eating session. Combine that with there being very few things around that would actually get his cardio up and exercise his muscles (remember it took 5 days of benching the weight of the Earth yo even break a sweat) I would tend to lean more towards the overweight category. Perhaps he should talk to a mystic and ask them to put an enchantment on a treadmill or set of dumbbells.

But......batteries can't gain infinite amounts of energy and then sun dip and gain much more.

abhilegend
All of those explanations are much better than Superman's super explanation for flatliners.
Someone is trying too hard. But I would like to hear your expert opinion on scientific explanation of mjolnir and power cosmic.

Astner
Trying to make Superman realistic is like trying to make Bugs Bunny realistic. His abilities don't make sense and the energy he stores from the sun is nowhere near enough to account for his abilities.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by Astner
Trying to make Superman realistic is like trying to make Bugs Bunny realistic. His abilities don't make sense and the energy he stores from the sun is nowhere near enough to account for his abilities.

Thank you sir, nuff said. Three, two one....ABBY!

abhilegend
laughing out loud

Blue Area Vet
Someone is trying too hard. But I would like to hear your expert opinion on scientific explanation of mjolnir and power cosmic.

Mjolnir is magic, not science, genius.

Cosmic energy is granted by Galactus, a higher level being whom our understanding of is limited. That's a plausible explanation. A being who gains the type of output he does simply by absorbing a certain wave length of sun rays is ****ing retarded. That help?

Reflassshh
Blue Area's hating seems to have no limit.

Blue Area Vet
Originally posted by Reflassshh
Blue Area's hating seems to have no limit.

The S's in your handle have no limit. Thanks, good bye.

abhilegend
Mjolnir is magic, not science, genius.

Cosmic energy is granted by Galactus, a higher level being whom our understanding of is limited. That's a plausible explanation. A being who gains the type of output he does simply by absorbing a certain wave length of sun rays is ****ing retarded. That help?
Interpretation: "Marvel rules even though a god with a magical hammer makes no sense but scientific explanation of photosynthesis is more retarded because DC sucks."

You know how photosynthesis only works with a certain wavelength, right?

Blue Area Vet
Interpretation: "Marvel rules even though a god with a magical hammer makes no sense but scientific explanation of photosynthesis is more retarded because DC sucks."

You know how photosynthesis only works with a certain wavelength, right?

You know photosynthesis doesn't result in energy outputs any greater than what was absorbed, RIGHT?

Translation = Your spin

Brockalizer
Originally posted by Astner
Trying to make Superman realistic is like trying to make Bugs Bunny realistic. His abilities don't make sense and the energy he stores from the sun is nowhere near enough to account for his abilities. I didn't say make his abilities and powerset more realistic, just his physical appearance.

abhilegend
You know photosynthesis doesn't result in energy outputs any greater than what was absorbed, RIGHT?

Translation = Your spin
It's called artistic license. It's only based on photosynthesis, it's not actually photosynthesis.

But what about mjolnir?

Blue Area Vet
It's called artistic license. It's only based on photosynthesis, it's not actually photosynthesis.

But what about mjolnir?

Then why the **** did you say it was photosynthesis? You must have realized how dumb that explanation sounded, especially since the process is a feature of plants and algae. Artistic license is not a scientific explanation, it's a cop out. Tell me why this human sized alien is able to absorb ambient energy to a level that makes him essentially a demigod. From a nature/biological perspective, what the hell is the reason? I'll wait.

DarkSaint85
Wow. Must it turn into a Superman hate/wank fest?

I mean, all of comics is pretty stupid scientifically speaking. But if I wanted to read accurate science, I'd read journals.

Blue Area Vet
Wow. Must it turn into a Superman hate/wank fest?

I mean, all of comics is pretty stupid scientifically speaking. But if I wanted to read accurate science, I'd read journals.

He wants a SCIENTIFIC explanation for Mjolnir. That's what this has comes down to. laughing out loud

DarkSaint85
Yeah. A better example was how random mutations in your genes gives you the power to create pocket universes, or rewrite reality, or control weather systems etc.

It's all silly.

Blue Area Vet
Yeah. A better example was how random mutations in your genes gives you the power to create pocket universes, or rewrite reality, or control weather systems etc.

It's all silly.

Yes, but some of more silly than others. For the record, the mutant X gene is rather silly, but not so hard to accept in a comic book universe. There is a gene that grants extra ordinary attributes or powers.

In Superman's case, it makes NO SENSE that and entire race of super beings would be spawned by simple exposure to yellow sun rays. Why the hell would this race be so superior to other beings? Physiologically, what would be the purpose? And it's just by CHANCE that they planet's population dies and one individual makes it to earth?

Surtur
Yes, but some of more silly than others. For the record, the mutant X gene is rather silly, but not so hard to accept in a comic book universe. There is a gene that grants extra ordinary attributes or powers.

In Superman's case, it makes NO SENSE that and entire race of super beings would be spawned by simple exposure to yellow sun rays. Why the hell would this race be so superior to other beings? Physiologically, what would be the purpose? And it's just by CHANCE that they planet's population dies and one individual makes it to earth?

This is like trying to argue which is wetter then Atlantic Ocean or the Pacific.

A special gene that turns people into super special snowflakes with powers isn't any less silly then an entire race whose "x gene" seems to be absorbing yellow sunlight and directing that into super powers.

abhilegend
Then why the **** did you say it was photosynthesis? You must have realized how dumb that explanation sounded, especially since the process is a feature of plants and algae. Artistic license is not a scientific explanation, it's a cop out. Tell me why this human sized alien is able to absorb ambient energy to a level that makes him essentially a demigod. From a nature/biological perspective, what the hell is the reason? I'll wait.
You are an idiot. Nobody said it was photosynthesis exactly.

If it chafes your ass so badly but you accept mutants able to create realities out of a x gene because 'hey its comics", you're nothing but a hater at this point.

You know how he gets so much power? Because it's a comics and not restricted by normal science. Now shut up already.

quanchi112

In Superman's case, it makes NO SENSE that and entire race of super beings would be spawned by simple exposure to yellow sun rays. Why the hell would this race be so superior to other beings? Physiologically, what would be the purpose? And it's just by CHANCE that they planet's population dies and one individual makes it to earth? laughing out loud

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.