Who came first - the Ones or the Force Priestesses?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

DarthAnt66
I was thinking about this question for a long time and couldn't really figure out an answer. BTW, I'm discussing in terms of CANON, not LEGENDS.

The Force Planet is said to be the "birthplace" of the Force - and thus also the birthplace of life. The Force Priestesses is an ancient entity beyond our comprehension (source: Dave Filoni), and "embodied the connection between the living Force present in lifeforms big and small, and the larger, timeless cosmic Force." They were the first to discover the secret to spirit immortality as well.

Then we got Mortis and the Ones. Mortis, by all accounts, seem to be on a different dimension entirely than the known galaxy, and the actions on Mortis are seen throughout the galaxy, and vice versa. The Father is described by Lucas as "the Core of the Force." The Son and The Daughter are the embodies of the Force itself, and unlike the Force Priestesses, have achieved a form of living immortality - not spirit immorality.

If The Ones were the first beings in Star Wars, how could they be the embodiment of the Force before midichlorians were even introduced to the galaxy?

Is it possible that the Force Planet was there grand creation (think Big Bang), and that set everything else in motion?

NewGuy01
Mortis is the heart of the Cosmic Force, the Force Planet is the birthplace of life, and therefore the Living Force.

The Cosmic Force came before the Living Force, which means the Ones are probably older than the Priestesses.

RexCloneWarsMVS
So is the force a god or entity?

NewGuy01
I wasn't aware the two things were necessarily mutually exclusive. Though I'm personally leaning closer to neither.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by NewGuy01
I wasn't aware the two things were necessarily mutually exclusive. Though I'm personally leaning closer to neither.

Actually many would argue they are.

Because if God is a mere entity, then it kind of defeats the purpose of God.

ares834

NewGuy01
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Actually many would argue they are.

Because if God is a mere entity, then it kind of defeats the purpose of God.

If were to believe in a God, I would definitely agree with you. But I was under the impression that most people considered a God as something that fell under the category of:

something that has a real existence; thing:

or

being or existence, especially when considered as distinct, independent, or self-contained:

--Definition of Entity.

I've toyed with this idea as well, tbh.

Fated Xtasy

Darth Thor
The Ones definitely exist, given the commentary on them. However what could be argued is if they're actual physical beings.

Interestingly Sam Witwer is of the opinion that if The Son had escaped Mortis with Anakin, then they would have left as One being.

That's in Canon anyway, but as Fated pointed out in Legends Abeloth kind of made the status of the Ones quite clear in that continuity.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Interestingly Sam Witwer is of the opinion that if The Son had escaped Mortis with Anakin, then they would have left as One being.
Link me.

FreshestSlice
That would have been beautiful. Just think of all that death and destruction.

WildBantha88
They all came at the same time... Hehe

Nephthys
Makes sense, I always thought the Son looked and sounded exactly like Anakin anyway.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Link me.

Will have to find it. Think it was a Forecast interview. It was just his opinion btw.

Originally posted by Nephthys
Makes sense, I always thought the Son looked and sounded exactly like Anakin anyway.

Well he was supposed to sound and look a bit like all the Dark Siders we see in the movies, which would include ROTS Anakin.

Beniboybling
Well, it's never actually said that the Force priestesses came into being at the same time as the planet/midicholorians. As I recall they are made out to be the first beings to discover how to retain their identity after death. So they could have come into being at any point really.

However without midichlorians there can be no life, The Ones are alive, and Mortis is populated with living flora, so they would have had to come after at least the Force planet.

I never really saw the Ones as essential origins or components to the Force really, just a set of beings so powerful they became fulcrums.

SunRazer
Wasn't there an Infinities storyline where the Son left Mortis with Anakin and they casually solo'd Palpatine + Yoda together? lol

Anyway, logically, the Ones definitely didn't come later than the Force Priestesses, and it's possible that they don't actually exist because of their metaphorical depictions. However, FotJ more or less established them as living beings/having a date of birth, which is rather stupid.

Beniboybling
How do they logically come before the Force priestesses?

And I think its originally clear they are living beings as they can die.

DarthAnt66
I also thought of it as the Daughter died as a refection of the destruction of the Jedi Order, and then came the death of Sidious (the Son) and Anakin (the Father) - an act which restored balance once again.

Sinious
Originally posted by Beniboybling
Well, it's never actually said that the Force priestesses came into being at the same time as the planet/midicholorians. As I recall they are made out to be the first beings to discover how to retain their identity after death. So they could have come into being at any point really.

However without midichlorians there can be no life, The Ones are alive, and Mortis is populated with living flora, so they would have had to come after at least the Force planet.

I never really saw the Ones as essential origins or components to the Force really, just a set of beings so powerful they became fulcrums.

thumb up

NewGuy01
The Ones might not be physically alive in canon, though; Only Legends.

Freedon Nadd
The Ones are part of a race called the Architects/Celestials.
They were an ancient civilization who were present long before the dawn of the galactic community and even the Rakatan Infinite Empire.
Think of them as Force-keepers/watchers, tasked with keeping the Force in Balance. Whereas the Force Priestesses were five beings that resided on the Wellspring of Life, the home of the midi-chlorians. These Priestesses were Force-ghosts. They were the watchers of the Wellspring of Life.

Haschwalth
The Ones, also the priestess's seem weaker as they could not protect Yoda from the Darkness on Morriban.

Freedon Nadd
But they came first.

Zentrex
Most people here seem to think the Ones came first, and the reasons also seem pretty solid.

But I immediately thought, both in Canon and Legends that the Force Priestesses would have come first because the Ones aren't essential to the force. Yeah, the father is pretty much the force itself, but he dies, and the force still exists. I think, even in Canon, the Ones were never more than just REALLY powerful force wielders, but the Priestesses were essential to the living and unifying force.

But it would make sense that the Force priestesses would come about after the creation of LIFE, and thus the living force, whereas the Ones could have been around longer. Although, the Ones themselves are alive, so maybe the Priestesses would have had to be around before?

Freedon Nadd
The Force Priestesses are Force spirits. Their order predates the Ones if midi-chlorians are needed for life in galaxy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.