Obama smacks around PC Colleges.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
****ing A right Mr. President.

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/253641-obama-hits-coddled-liberal-college-students

Tell them how it is.

jaden101
He ain't wrong. You need to debate to win the argument. Freezing out guest speakers from colleges and universities because their opinions aren't popular is idiotic.

long pig
They will scream, yell, insult you, run away or call you a racist bigot...but they will never debate.

Flyattractor
So does this mean he won't be accepting all those BIG CHECKS to speak at these colleges after he leaves office?

ArtificialGlory
I'm almost surprised nobody called him an Uncle Tom or something like that.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
I'm almost surprised nobody called him an Uncle Tom or something like that.

Are you joking and be investigated by the IRS?

please laughing out loud

Bardock42
Originally posted by jaden101
He ain't wrong. You need to debate to win the argument. Freezing out guest speakers from colleges and universities because their opinions aren't popular is idiotic.

I disagree, certain opinions do not deserve a platform, and universities do not have to provide it.

dynamix
Originally posted by jaden101

thumb up

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bardock42
I disagree, certain opinions do not deserve a platform, and universities do not have to provide it.
To add to this, I don't really see the value in entertaining unscientific arguments in Universities simply on the virtue of being "fair."

Seriously debating evolution and creationism in universities would give the illusion that the ideas have equal value and weight, when creationism has no scientific virtue whatsoever.

I'm not sure if that's what Obama meant though. I think Obama is saying that universities should invite conservative political thinkers and speakers even if these universities have a liberal bent.

long pig
Disgusting.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by long pig
Disgusting.
He's right, not every position is worthy of consideration. Holocaust Denial, for instance.

long pig
Originally posted by Omega Vision
He's right, not every position is worthy of consideration. Holocaust Denial, for instance.
Too close to facism to me. I'm genuinely disgusted by the idea. Who's to say which opinion or study is unworthy? Its a slippery slope.

I was taught if you disagree, fine. Make your case and I'll make mine, whoever starts yelling, insulting or speaking nonsense loses.

Omega Vision
Too close to facism to me. I'm genuinely disgusted by the idea. Who's to say which opinion or study is unworthy? Its a slippery slope.

I was taught if you disagree, fine. Make your case and I'll make mine, whoever starts yelling, insulting or speaking nonsense loses.
It's not a slippery slope if you understand why certain positions are worthless. Certain positions shouldn't even be legitimized by arguing them.

Holocaust denial for instance is worthless because only raging racists deny the mountain of evidence that it happened. Creationism is worthless because it has no more evidence to support it than does the existence of Middle Earth.

The existence of an invisible blue man who lives in your house only when you're not in your house shouldn't be debated either because it's logically unsound and silly.

long pig
It's not a slippery slope if you understand why certain positions are worthless. Certain positions shouldn't even be legitimized by arguing them.

Holocaust denial for instance is worthless because only raging racists deny the mountain of evidence that it happened. Creationism is worthless because it has no more evidence to support it than does the existence of Middle Earth.

The existence of an invisible blue man who lives in your house only when you're not in your house shouldn't be debated either because it's logically unsound and silly.
Then destroying them in a debate should be easy....

Who makes the call that such and such is not worth hearing? A group of hiveminded liberals?

Conservatives want to control your body, libs want to control your mind. Its a disturbing sickness.

Omega Vision
Then destroying them in a debate should be easy....

Who makes the call that such and such is not worth hearing? A group of hiveminded liberals?

Conservatives want to control your body, libs want to control your mind. Its a disturbing sickness.
Yes, it should be, but simply by putting it on a stage alongside a legitimate idea you might create the illusion that the ideas have equal weight.

Time-Immemorial
I like Obama's stance on this.

Omega Vision
He's right that colleges shouldn't discriminate based on political ideology who they invite to speak.

Bardock42
He's right that colleges shouldn't discriminate based on political ideology who they invite to speak.

But there is a point where most people draw the line. I think it's perfectly fair to say that some people under the mantle of the Republicans have crossed that line.

Henry_Pym
But there is a point where most people draw the line. I think it's perfectly fair to say that some people under the mantle of the Republicans have crossed that line. look into this before you look foolish friend.

Condelleza Rice was protested against as a for commencement for a school that the year before gave that honor to Snooki...

Flyattractor
But there is a point where most people draw the line. I think it's perfectly fair to say that some people under the mantle of the Republicans have crossed that line.

Unlike those colleges that actually invite 3rd World Dictators to speak at their institutions. Those are far more worthy then a republican or far worse....conservative.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
look into this before you look foolish friend.

Condelleza Rice was protested against as a for commencement for a school that the year before gave that honor to Snooki...

That does not pertain to my point. Snooki while perhaps not having much merit as a speaker does not cross a line of fanaticism that is destructive and therefore should not get a platform. I'm not saying Rice does either, I'm just saying there is a line for almost everyone at which point they say "no, this person does not deserve a platform and I will attempt to stop it"

Time-Immemorial
That does not pertain to my point. Snooki while perhaps not having much merit as a speaker does not cross a line of fanaticism that is destructive and therefore should not get a platform. I'm not saying Rice does either, I'm just saying there is a line for almost everyone at which point they say "no, this person does not deserve a platform and I will attempt to stop it"

Looks like you just got smacked around.

Bardock42
Does it? It's odd, you are the only one (well, and perhaps Star, though he doesn't cheerlead as much) that constantly tells me that that's happening.

red g jacks
i agree with obama 100%... political correctness is turning most of western civilization into a bunch of overly sensitive whiners and dogmatic professional victims... and the colleges and universities are the main offenders in pushing this mentality

props to obama for giving these spoiled brats some much-needed tough love

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.