The $500,000,000 Failed Syria Strategy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
You heard it last night.

Hear it is

https://www.rt.com/usa/315579-rebels-syria-us-congress/

Stoic
500 mill or 50 mill?

Time-Immemorial
"The Obama administration announced the training program last year, as a way to create a ground force to take on ISIS without having to deploy US forces.

The Pentagon was granted $500 million for the program in 2015, and has requested $600 million for 2016. The administration's goal is to train 15,000 rebels in three years."

Time-Immemorial
Of coarse the liberals here are running scared of this kind of stuff.

Stoic
Shit, I wish that someone would forget that they gave me 500 mill. If the government is giving out that kind of loot, maybe I could get a loan for 250,000 and open a Laundromat.

Time-Immemorial
Of coarse this is seen as a success by Obama supporters because 4 or 5 are left.

This is the type of Commander in Chief we have and people worry about Trumplaughing out loud

All the military commanders just had to testify before the house sub committee on the catastrophic failure and how next year Obama plans to drop another 600 million

Thats $1.1 Billion on a failed project!!

How about spending that money on 30 more VA hospitals.

Omega Vision
Yeah this was a disaster. The reason is that we want to train and equip "moderate" rebels, but our definition of moderate is so stringent that practically no one fighting in Syria qualifies, and those that do aren't generally the best fighters.

Time-Immemorial
Yea and he knows its a disaster and what is the excuse to drop another $600,000,000??

Stoic
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Yeah this was a disaster. The reason is that we want to train and equip "moderate" rebels, but our definition of moderate is so stringent that practically no one fighting in Syria qualifies, and those that do aren't generally the best fighters.

So what are they going to do, put wheelchair warriors out on the front lines? Just kidding. But yeah, it's crazy. So much could have been done with those funds in terms of improving our state of affairs. All Presidents make mistakes, but the last few that Obama has made seem like he's trying to sabotage the US. We're talking about a crap load of money that seems to have all but slipped through the cracks.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Stoic
So what are they going to do, put wheelchair warriors out on the front lines? Just kidding. But yeah, it crazy. So much could have been done with those funds in terms of improving our state of affairs. All Presidents make mistakes, but the last few that Obama has made seem like he's trying to sabotage the US. We're talking about a crap load of money that seems to have all but slipped through the cracks.

Its deliberate sabotage by design.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Please explain why Obama would sabotage his own plan.

Time-Immemorial
Please explain why Obama would sabotage his own plan.

Why don't you ask stoic their mr. deflector since he was responding to you and posted about the sabotage.

Stoic

Yo, we should call G.I Joe on his ass.

Omega Vision
Why don't I address the question to both of you since you both seem to think Obama sabotaged his own strategy, you can both answer me one at a time.

Time-Immemorial
Why don't I address the question to both of you since you both seem to think Obama sabotaged his own strategy, you can both answer me one at a time.

You are strawmanning, neither one of us said he was sabotaging his own strategy, how about you read what Stoic wrote again.

Omega Vision
Okay, so let me rephrase the question: why do you think Obama is deliberately wasting money to hurt the US?

Time-Immemorial
Okay, so let me rephrase the question: why do you think Obama is deliberately wasting money to hurt the US?

That was his campaign promise, in case you forgot.

KrefKCaV8m4

Free medical bills, free college, free debt reduction, blah blah blah.

Stoic

I said that it seems like he has sabotaged the US, but I have a suspicious mind. The Iran deal seems suspect to me as well, but even to me those thoughts feel more like a conspiracy theory than actual fact.

jaden101
Like every other intervention policy in the last 14 years in the middle east it's an abject failure. Not surprising really. The US and other western allies have no clue who to support or how to go about intervening successfully in Syria and Iraq and yet get all pissy when Russia actually pick a side and start to act or when Iran (who have been the most effective at tackling ISIS on the basis of the little resources they've employed so far) do the same.

Instead the US do a deal with Turkey to use their airbases to bomb ISIS while Turkey bomb people fighting against ISIS (the Kurds) from the same airbases.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by jaden101
Like every other intervention policy in the last 14 years in the middle east it's an abject failure. Not surprising really. The US and other western allies have no clue who to support or how to go about intervening successfully in Syria and Iraq and yet get all pissy when Russia actually pick a side and start to act or when Iran (who have been the most effective at tackling ISIS on the basis of the little resources they've employed so far) do the same.

Instead the US do a deal with Turkey to use their airbases to bomb ISIS while Turkey bomb people fighting against ISIS (the Kurds) from the same airbases.

Nah we won on Bush's watch, we lost and the Middle east unraveled under Obama.

FinalAnswer
Nah we won on Bush's watch

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb394/Nikooo042/1191763_o.gif

Time-Immemorial
Lol at you pretending to be a female when you are a male

FinalAnswer
Lol at you pretending to be a female when you are a male

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb394/Nikooo042/1191763_o.gif

Time-Immemorial
Reported for trolling

jaden101
Nah we won on Bush's watch, we lost and the Middle east unraveled under Obama.

Won what? ISIS was borne out of the remnants of the ousted Ba'ath party. If Bush had "won" then ISIS would never existed. Abu Muslim al-Turkmani, Abu Ayman al-Iraqi, Haji Bakr, Abu Ahmad al-Alwani, Abu Abdulrahman al-Bilawi and Abu Ali al-Anbari to name a few.

Time-Immemorial
Won what? ISIS was borne out of the remnants of the ousted Ba'ath party. If Bush had "won" then ISIS would never existed. Abu Muslim al-Turkmani, Abu Ayman al-Iraqi, Haji Bakr, Abu Ahmad al-Alwani, Abu Abdulrahman al-Bilawi and Abu Ali al-Anbari to name a few.

We had Iraq on lockdown. ISIS sprouted up after the troop withdraw. We should have stayed over and finished the job and strengthened Baghdad. We really needed to get them stronger. They wanted freedom from oppression from Sadaam, and now they being wiped out by ISIS.

Q99
I do hope we didn't actually *spend* that much- it may have been the initial plan, but the cost of training 5k people doesn't get spent if you don't get 5k people.

And.... honestly, the US sucks at intervention. We failed to make a loyal Iraq ally, we're not doing any better here, maybe we should just get out of the game? Or at least spend more effort figuring out what really works before jumping in, because right now, we don't got it. I think Gulf War 1 and Bosnia are the only real successful ones in recent memory.

We had Iraq on lockdown. ISIS sprouted up after the troop withdraw. We should have stayed over and finished the job and strengthened Baghdad. We really needed to get them stronger. They wanted freedom from oppression from Sadaam, and now they being wiped out by ISIS.

And there's a couple reasons that didn't happen. Blackwater and such really soured Iraqi opinion to us, so rather than the government wanting our support, they wanted us gone, the US people largely were getting fed up with the casualties and costs (3 trillion), and Baghdad got Bush to agree to an exit-time which Obama stuck to without really trying to renegotiate. We didn't spend much on actual building of Iraqi infrastructure either- we opened things to foreign corporations (and, ironically, non-US ones ended up making a huge chunk of those) hoping they'd do it, but of course, it didn't work out that conveniently, because repairing wartorn countries is not much of a short-term source of profit, as vital as it is. So we had a weak Baghdad with shakey feelings towards us, in no small part to the contractors we brought in, and thus getting no-where near our intended objectives.

Time-Immemorial
Why cant you criticize Obama, are you that bias?

I give Obama when praise is due, this will be a $1.1 billion dollar buffoonery and you say that?

You really disappoint me Q. Like really.. Its sad you CANNOT give criticism when it is DUE.

YOU DEFER TO ITS the "US's Fault."

WHO THE **** IS THE COMMANDER IN CHIEF IN CHARGE OF THIS OPERATION?

I almost never want to talk to you again.

jaden101

Had Iraq on lockdown? There was an insurgency from the moment the western nations went in to the moment they left and it's still going yet. There was practically daily car bombings in Baghdad at the height of US troop numbers. They barely had the safe zone on lockdown, never mind anywhere else.

Staying would've been a no win situation as well both politically and militarily. More and more US and allied troops would've been killed and injured. More calls for withdrawal and more political fallout regardless of whether they stayed or left.

Now they do the half hearted drone strikes that left Yemen in such a peachy state of affairs and get slated for it. If they send in troops they'd get slated for it. If they don't send in troops they get slated for it. If they try and support rebel groups in Syria they get slated for it. If they don't do enough to support rebel groups they get slated for it. They can't support Assad or they'd get slated. Cant fight Assad or...well...you get my point
slated

Time-Immemorial
Yea good idea, go belly up instead of doubling down and finishing the job.

I know you nor anyone here else gives two shits about them men and women of the US military, so I don't wanna hear two shits about "Oh we are tired of the deaths of our service members."

And you know what since everyone here cares more about Muslims then US Soliders, Look how many Muslims are dying now because of this abomination.

Time-Immemorial
Hey just a $500,000,000 loss, time to "re think" before we drop another $600,000,000.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-administration-rethinks-syria-strategy-1442533644

Fcking retarded.

Q99
Why cant you criticize Obama, are you that bias?

What? I just said his project here is a failure and he hasn't had a single successful intervention. That includes Libya, btw.

I hate that psmith taught you to use that word wrongly, now you're gonna think you know how to use it.

Because we helped make this situation in Iraq, yes. That is one of the several factors that helped lead to this, as like jaden101 said, Isis is full of former ba'ath party people that we let go.

Obama, of course.

This is a failure, I just said that in the post that caused you to blow up. Obama utterly failed to stop the Syrian crisis from getting out of hand and spilling into Iraq.

The Iraq war also failed to build a strong Baghdad- you know, the thing you said we needed to help here- and that's on us.

It's kinda funny that I agreed with you on several major points, and that causes you to blow up.

Way to put words in people mouths.

Yes, this is also true! We have had two operations in this region and yet we still have this abomination that is Isis around! I agree. I agree Obama failed to stop it.

There are so many people that can be rightfully blamed for contributing to, or at least failing to stop, this situation!

jaden101

I know you nor anyone here else gives two shits about them men and women of the US military, so I don't wanna hear two shits about "Oh we are tired of the deaths of our service members."

And you know what since everyone here cares more about Muslims then US Soliders, Look how many Muslims are dying now because of this abomination.

What gibberish are you spouting now? That you actually want US troops to go in and die in huge numbers fighting an enemy they couldn't beat the first time they tried?

If you come up with a winning formula to fix the shitfest caused by going in the last time and that doesn't turning then entire middle east to glass then go ahead.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Q99
What? I just said his project here is a failure and he hasn't had a single successful intervention. That includes Libya, btw.

I hate that psmith taught you to use that word wrongly, now you're gonna think you know when to use it.

Because we helped make this situation in Iraq, yes. That is one of the several factors that helped lead to this, as like jaden101 said, Isis is full of former ba'ath party people that we let go.

Obama, of course.

This is a failure, I just said that in the post that caused you to blow up. Obama utterly failed to stop the Syrian crisis from getting out of hand and spilling into Iraq.

The Iraq war also failed to build a strong Baghdad- you know, the thing you said we needed to help here- and that's on us.

It's kinda funny that I agreed with you on several major points, and that causes you to blow up.

Way to put words in people mouths.

Yes, this is also true! We have had two operations in this region and yet we still have this abomination that is Isis around! I agree. I agree Obama failed to stop it.

There are so many people that can be rightfully blamed for contributing to, or at least failing to stop, this situation!

You previously said the US failed, and blamed it on the country..I have psmith on ignore so I didn't pick anything up from him. He's a god damn troll and I won't give him any attention.

Q99

These are really contradictory.

"We need to double-down, not go belly-down!"

"They've decided to spend twice as much money and form a better strategy, how dumb!"

Do you want more intervention or less? You seem confused on the subject, and mad at them for doing exactly what you just said you wanted them to do the post before.

Time-Immemorial
What gibberish are you spouting now? That you actually want US troops to go in and die in huge numbers fighting an enemy they couldn't beat the first time they tried?

If you come up with a winning formula to fix the shitfest caused by going in the last time and that doesn't turning then entire middle east to glass then go ahead.

Thats not what I said..do you really believe we should just abandon Iraq and Afghanistan because of some American blood shed?
Guess what I don't. And neither do the people who sign up for the Military. I was one of them, I know the costs.

We could have freed those people! Now its all down the drain and $8 Trillion later.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Q99
These are really contradictory.

"We need to double-down, not go belly-down!"

"They've decided to spend twice as much money and form a better strategy, how dumb!"

Do you want more intervention or less? You seem confused on the subject, and mad at them for doing exactly what you just said you wanted them to do the post before.

I see what you did and it wont work.

I was talking about Iraq and Afghanistan. Not Iraq and Afghanistan vs Syria failures of this idiotic strategy.

You are horribly dishonest and a weak forum manipulator, you can't manipulate what I say and strawman to a win.

Fail again.

Q99
Thats not what I said..do you really believe we should just abandon Iraq and Afghanistan because of some American blood shed?
Guess what I don't. And neither do the people who sign up for the Military. I was one of them, I know the costs.

We could have freed those people! Now its all down the drain and $8 Trillion later.

We could have if we'd done the things that'd likely have a good result- invest in their infrastructure, befriend the people, *not* give Blackwater a free reign for violence.

We didn't. Bush had already agreed to the Iraqi government's pull-out date.

We could've stayed longer, but length of stay was just part of the problem. If one wants to nation build, one has to nation build, not just sit on a country with an army and hope it rebuilds itself, and that's what we were doing.

We could have, and we didn't, and we should acknowledge our failures and mistakes. Just as Vietnam failed because of numerous problems with both command and our allies, Iraq failed because we didn't go there to build a strong Iraq.

Time-Immemorial
Obama does what he wants, the argument "Oh Bush signed it" dont work anymore. Obama has executive authority.

Obama could have stayed and finished the job. He knew pulling out would destabilize the entire middle east. All of his commanders advised him against this.

A strong Iraq could have been a counter balance to Iran, now Iran will arise as the strongest nation in the middle east and will have nukes in 10.2 years.

jaden101

So how would you go about it then?

And since when was it ever about freeing "those people"?

http://d2ow8fu54x0v77.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/599286_453088051386617_1690700385_n.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/xIpyPlk.jpg

jaden101

Time-Immemorial
So how would you go about it then?

And since when was it ever about freeing "those people"?

http://d2ow8fu54x0v77.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/599286_453088051386617_1690700385_n.jpg

http://i.imgur.comxIpyPlk.jpg

Iraq was a double edged sword.

Because we dont know if leaving Sadaam in power would have been a good thing or not.

First If we had left him in power, he would have continued his genocide of his people and gone for WMD's and more chemical weapons, but second, if we had left him in power he checkmated Iran and kept his country together.

jaden101
Iraq was a double edged sword.

Because we dont know if leaving Sadaam in power would have been a good thing or not.

First If we had left him in power, he would have continued his genocide of his people and gone for WMD's and more chemical weapons, but second, if we had left him in power he checkmated Iran and kept his country together.

Ah the WMD thing again eh? Even i believed that back in the day. It's comprehensively discredited now though. Even Donald Rumsfeld admitted they were totally wrong in the documentary he did. Saddest thing about that debacle is the last good republican, Colin Powell, took the fall for it.

Time-Immemorial
I said "gone for WMD's" meaning going to acquire them.

Quit strawmaning.

jaden101
I said "gone for WMD's" meaning going to acquire them.

Quit strawmaning.

Proof please. Given that all the evidence points to Iraq doing the exact opposite and had destroyed what they had.

Time-Immemorial
JHC..I didnt say they had them.

jaden101
So they were gonna get more of what they didn't have?

OK

Still waiting on the proof they were gonna get more though.

Time-Immemorial
Still waiting on you to pull your head out of your ass.

jaden101
No proof then? Thought not.

Suppose you could just invade every country on Earth cos they might try to get WMDs at some point over the next 10,000 years. Better bomb them now. Safe them sorry and all that.

Time-Immemorial
Yea lets start with Iran and then your home.

Bentley
Why is this debate so tense? It seems that everyone agrees in the major points.

Time-Immemorial
Jaden and me do this, it's just what we do. Go look at the ballers thread in the TV forum.

Time-Immemorial
http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/09/28/us-syrian-rebel-chief-who-gave-up-equipment-not-us-trained

jaden101
http://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2015/09/28/us-syrian-rebel-chief-who-gave-up-equipment-not-us-trained

They should put satnavs in them next time....kaboom.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.