If Superman existed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
What political affiliation would he be?

We know he stands for everything that is good about America.

Truth, Justice and the American Way.

Surtur
Something tells me he'd be pro illegal immigration. Also to be honest Superman, assuming he was active as a super hero, technically breaks the law pretty much all the time.

yungz22
i thought supes doesnt involved in government

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Surtur
Something tells me he'd be pro illegal immigration. Also to be honest Superman, assuming he was active as a super hero, technically breaks the law pretty much all the time.

Does a god break laws? Or does he make them?

Surtur
Originally posted by yungz22
i thought supes doesnt involved in government

It depends on the version you want to use.

Time-Immemorial

Why because his father sent him here as a child?

Superman is man of laws and principles. Hence the crime fighting.

Surtur
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Does a god break laws? Or does he make them?

You therein see the problem with Superman and why the DC universe seems to be way more accepting of metahumans as opposed to Marvel. In reality, Superman would terrify pretty much everyone. Remember, he doesn't just stop super villains, he will stop normal crime as well. So he technically takes the law into his own hands without anyone ever asking him to do so. There is also no real way to hold him accountable for pretty much..anything he does unless he decides to allow you to hold him accountable.

Not to mention I imagine the government wouldn't be too keen with him flying around all over the place(after all a normal person can't just take a plane and fly it around a city) and the fact he could see/hear anything. Just the fact that they could never punish him unless he allowed it would bother people, just knowing he *could* do whatever he wanted, even if he never would.

Why because his father sent him here as a child?

Superman is man of laws and principles. Hence the crime fighting.

He is in the USA illegally. His adoption papers and identity would all be false.

Superman does champion the law, but he also routinely breaks it. People tend to look the other way in the comics because of the whole saving the world thing, but the real world isn't that simple and people love to destroy heroes and nitpick. He doesn't usually break the law for personal gain, but he still breaks it all the time.

I suppose you could write special laws for him, but then that sends you down a slippery slope.

Omega Vision
Superman would be above politics.

In terms of his personal convictions though, I think he's a quiet progressive.

Time-Immemorial
If Superman existed today, he would be accepted. He would scare the shit out the world governments because they cannot control him and they never would.

What was that line? "You're scared of me because you don't control me. You can't, and you never will. But that doesn't make me your enemy."

Omega Vision
Tbh I'd be pretty scared of him too. It's different in a universe populated with magical and superpowered beings where Superman just happens to be one of the more powerful ones. Here he'd be completely unprecedented and unique.

Surtur
If Superman existed today, he would be accepted. He would scare the shit out the world governments because they cannot control him and they never would.

What was that line? "You're scared of me because you don't control me. You can't, and you never will. But that doesn't make me your enemy."

I think you're giving people a bit too much credit. Just setting aside everything else..just think about what his existence would do for things like religion. Then consider the amount of power he has and that he is technically a vigilante.

If Superman goes to stop a bank robbery, succeeds, but is shot and a bullet bounces off him and kills an innocent person, what do you think would happen? That is just one of a thousand things that could turn the world against him.

Omega Vision
Superman would probably apologize and use his superpowers to build a school or children's hospital named after the dead bystander. People would forgive him in time. I think his existence alone would be more damaging than something small like that.

Time-Immemorial
I think you're giving people a bit too much credit. Just setting aside everything else..just think about what his existence would do for things like religion. Then consider the amount of power he has and that he is technically a vigilante.

If Superman goes to stop a bank robbery, succeeds, but is shot and a bullet bounces off him and kills an innocent person, what do you think would happen? That is just one of a thousand things that could turn the world against him.

Jesus was a vigilante to the powers of the world. The world turned against him and they killed him.

Now with Superman, not a damn thing we could do about it. However I am talking about Superman, the same one as in the movies and comic books.

So what would we have to fear?

Surtur
It is small but it's just one thing that could add up over time. Think about it, what if it was a little kid killed. The parents would argue that the bank robbers might not of ever bothered to fire a shot if Superman hadn't tried to stop them. So his taking the law into his own hands I think would create a ripple effect. It wouldn't just be one incident.

Since as you said, his sheer existence would bother people already, then add to that any type of body count..

Omega Vision
It is small but it's just one thing that could add up over time. Think about it, what if it was a little kid killed. The parents would argue that the bank robbers might not of ever bothered to fire a shot if Superman hadn't tried to stop them. So his taking the law into his own hands I think would create a ripple effect. It wouldn't just be one incident.

Since as you said, his sheer existence would bother people already, then add to that any type of body count..
I think most people would probably see that it isn't Superman's fault that the bank robber was an *******.

Besides, Superman is totally fast enough to catch the bullet.

Time-Immemorial
So like Manhatten from Watchmen?

KingD19
Superman has turned evil several times over the years. It tends to go badly.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by KingD19
Superman has turned evil several times over the years. It tends to go badly.

Due to CIS from comic books, obviously that does not exist here.

Surtur
Jesus was a vigilante to the powers of the world. The world turned against him and they killed him.

It's not really comparable at all if we are talking about an alien demi-god walking around the planet..with 100% evidence of this fact.

Jesus also wasn't a vigilante really. Sure if he saw someone doing something he might step in, but that's not being a vigilante.

The "not a damn thing we could do about it" is what people would fear.

Time-Immemorial
People fear what they don't understand, but I don't think its Superman's job to cower in fear of people fearing him, he knows who he is right?

Surtur
People fear what they don't understand, but I don't think its Superman's job to cower in fear of people fearing him, he knows who he is right?

See that is the thing, you use the word job, saying it is not his job to cower, but it's not his job to help people either, nobody hired him.

Also Superman might recognize why people react the way they do, but it wouldn't stop people from reacting that way.

Truth is Superman is a gift that the world in general just wouldn't accept.

Time-Immemorial
If a god which Superman is, came down from the heavens, to help, would you refuse? Think about all the good he could do, stop all wars, stop nuclear proliferation on and on.

Surtur
I never said I would refuse, I'm talking about the overall reaction from people. Yes he could do a lot of good. Then again people might also think about all the bad he could do as well.

People would be uncomfortable with the fact that there is a single being on this world that could end all life as we know it.

Time-Immemorial
OK let me ask you something.

Say I got a wish from God.

And I said give us Superman, and he showed up, and he was an identical to Golden Age or PC, no bad, all good. And this is in present time when everyone knows who Superman is and what he stands for.

Would you still be afraid?

Tattoos N Scars

And I said give us Superman, and he showed up, and he was an identical to Golden Age or PC, no bad, all good. And this is in present time when everyone knows who Superman is and what he stands for.

Only if he sneezed!

Surtur

I personally wouldn't be afraid, but I think a lot of people would be.

Time-Immemorial
Even now, after 75 years of knowing Superman?

Surtur
Especially now in these times I think it would scare people. Or at the very least make a lot of people very nervous.

-Pr-
A lot of people would be afraid. A lot of people would assume he serves the interests of certain countries. They've explored his role before in situations like this. He can't walk in to Syria or North Korea and just magically fix things, as sad as that is.

Superman himself would, hopefully, win the trust of most of the people, but I don't think anyone would be completely comfortable with his existence, especially considering that heroes tend to attract villains.

KingD19
People are still afraid of Muslims as a whole despite only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction being actual terrorists.

What do you think people will feel when a guy who can push planets shows up, no matter how good he or his intentions are?

And Superman in a world filled with other similarly powered beings, once felt Earth would be better if he and his friends ruled the planet as Gods. If it's just him, and nothing can do anything to even harm him(kryptonite isn't even a thing), you don't think there's a possibility he'd feel that way again seeing as how f*cked up Earth is and he could literally change it to fit his image in days at the most?

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by KingD19
People are still afraid of Muslims as a whole despite only a fraction of a fraction of a fraction being actual terrorists.

People are still afraid of guns even though gun violence is on a fraction of death compared to radical islam.

KingD19
People are still afraid of guns even though gun violence is on a fraction of death compared to radical islam.

I like how you mentioned something that had nothing to do with our conversation(because being afraid/hateful of an entire race and religion is so much more severe than fearing a weapon literally designed to instantly kill someone from a fair distance) just so you could slam Muslims/Islam. Nice brah.

Time-Immemorial
You brought up Muslims and fear, I used an analogy. You didn't like it so you have this knee jerk reaction. Go back to debating movies. Clearly you are too soft for real world stuff.

Bashar Teg
superman would be a republican because he's a good guy and democrats are evil and have doodoo in their souls.

Time-Immemorial
laughing out loud

Newjak
People are still afraid of guns even though gun violence is on a fraction of death compared to radical islam. That's a terrible analogy.

Not every, or even most, Muslim is a terrorist but every gun is still a machine designed for killing things efficiently.

You see one is irrational fear of a group of people vs the rational fear of a killing machine.

Time-Immemorial
I won't debate this here and get off op. Nice try to egg me on though.

Another one of your fails.

Jmanghan
This is so irrelevant to GDF its not even funny.

No matter what it is, its still about Superman, it a hypothetical question. Its not controversial, and its not news, we have the OTF for a reason, and even there, your question will be answered.

bluewaterrider
Originally posted by Jmanghan

No matter what it is, its still about Superman, it a hypothetical question. Its not controversial, and its not news, we have the OTF for a reason, and even there, your question will be answered.

In TI's case, this would fit best in the Religion Forum, actually.

Bashar Teg
http://i.imgur.com/IuYnt7D.jpg

Time-Immemorial

Read the OP, and then shut up.

Originally posted by bluewaterrider
In TI's case, this would fit best in the Religion Forum, actually.

You as well

Astner
What political affiliation would he be?

We know he stands for everything that is good about America.

Truth, Justice and the American Way.
According to Injustice he'd be like Hitler.

Time-Immemorial
I based this on Golden Age or PC their Mr. Selfie.

Astner
I based this on Golden Age or PC, there Mr. Selfie.
Then he'd just be a politically motivated criminal.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Astner
Then he'd just be a politically motivated criminal.

Based on?

Jmanghan
Read the OP, and then shut up.

You as well

I did, still don't see why it belongs in the GDF.

Making it a thread about what Superman's political standpoint would be if he existed still doesn't justify it being put here.

Time-Immemorial
I did, still don't see why it belongs in the GDF.

Making it a thread about what Superman's political standpoint would be if he existed still doesn't justify it being put here.

Well you are not a mod, and it was a political discussion and this is a movie forum, so kindly eff off. laughing out loud

Robtard
He'd be Communist

Astner
Based on?
Based on the fact that he took the law into his own hands and kidnapped and threatened politicians?

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Astner
Based on the fact that he took the law into his own hands and kidnapped and threatened politicians?

Sounds like something we need to happen today. Cause clearly our laws and politicians are not working.

BackFire
Worthless thread. Closing.

GDF is not the place for this kind of thing.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.