Watchmen

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/10/01/hbo-reportedly-in-talks-about-watchmen-tv-series?abthid=560d99374c2565fa20000013

This could be potentially cool, though it probably would be a prequel series. It wouldn't be the same without Manhattan and Rorschach

Unless they make one season and retell the comic. Its already episodic after all. Still, I'd rather cover new ground. I also wouldn't mind a prequel about the Minutemen. Different characters, and all kinds of potential for a big new story.

BruceSkywalker
hope not but for me it would depend on the cast

Impediment
I might be down to see "Watchmen" adapted into an HBO series if the entire 12 issue story arc was faithfully done, especially since the movie was just crunched together and left out very crucial elements.

However, if this proposed series is going to be a prequel like "Before Watchmen" or, I shudder at the thought, a sequel to the story, then I say nay. I say leave it the f*ck alone.

Galan007
Frankly, I wouldn't watch a series without Doctor Manhattan, Rorschach, or at the very least Ozy. Those are the only characters who made the series worth a damn, imo.

Bashar Teg
YDDHHrt6l4w

Surtur
I'm a bit torn. I've always been curious to see them show what happened after the end of the original comic and how the world reacted to what Ozy did. Problem is with that..Manhattan is off world and Rorshach is dead.

Yet I don't want merely a retelling of the story..the Watchmen movie did that just fine IMO. I don't really need to see it done again with different actors.

Seriously HBO if you want to adapt a gritty comic series then let me say two words: The Boys.

Impediment
I have every issue of The Boys.

An adaptation of The Boys would definitely have to be on HBO.

Arachnid1
You guys have my interest. I'll have to check that one out

Surtur
Or hell I'd love to see Invincible on the small screen. You'd also need HBO for that given the massive amounts of gore.

Impediment
Originally posted by Arachnid1
You guys have my interest. I'll have to check that one out

Garth Ennis (Preacher) and Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitan).

This title actually "out Preachers" Preacher with black humor.

Seriously.

Galan007
Originally posted by Impediment

An adaptation of The Boys would definitely have to be on HBO. thumb up

It'd be hilarious to see this scene reimagined on-screen:
http://s5d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/24218207_Boys017-014_Kopie.jpg http://s5d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/24218208_Boys017-017_Kopie.jpg http://s5d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/24218209_Boys017-018_Kopie.jpg http://s5d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/24218210_Boys017-019_Kopie.jpg

ermmhappy

dynamix
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
YDDHHrt6l4w

what the hell?! lmao!

jinXed by JaNx
The only way i can see a prequel working is if it were a few episodes leading into the actual story. There's nothing worse than prequels.

queeq
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
YDDHHrt6l4w

Hilarious...

Mindset

An adaptation of The Boys would definitely have to be on HBO. It's weird, we can have a show like Hannibal on NBC, but get sexually explicit and people lose their minds. I don't know why the US loves violence, but is scared of sex.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Mindset
It's weird, we can have a show like Hannibal on NBC, but get sexually explicit and people lose their minds. I don't know why the US loves violence, but is scared of sex.

What is sexually explicit to you?

marwash22
showing penetration.

imo, simulated sex and any nudity that isn't full-frontal should be considered pg-13 material. You're crazy if you think 13yo's haven't seen breasts.

Wei Phoenix
Originally posted by marwash22
showing penetration.

imo, simulated sex and any nudity that isn't full-frontal should be considered pg-13 material. You're crazy if you think 13yo's haven't seen breasts.

I waited until I was a consenting adult before seeing a pair of bare naked breasts.

Originally posted by Galan007
thumb up

It'd be hilarious to see this scene reimagined on-screen:
http://s5d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/24218207_Boys017-014_Kopie.jpg http://s5d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/24218208_Boys017-017_Kopie.jpg http://s5d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/24218209_Boys017-018_Kopie.jpg http://s5d4.turboimagehost.com/t1/24218210_Boys017-019_Kopie.jpg

ermmhappy Originally posted by Impediment
Garth Ennis (Preacher) and Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitan).

This title actually "out Preachers" Preacher with black humor.

Seriously.

So besides Simon Pegg, who would you guys get to play The Boys?

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/21/damon-lindelof-to-adapt-watchmen-for-hbo

Looking like this is moving ahead

Mindset
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
What is sexually explicit to you? Holding hands

NemeBro
Frankly, I wouldn't watch a series without Doctor Manhattan, Rorschach, or at the very least Ozy. Those are the only characters who made the series worth a damn, imo. Comedian was the best character you phucking phaggot.

Martian_mind
Originally posted by NemeBro
Comedian was the best character you phucking phaggot.

thumb up

Arachnid1
Comedian was the best character you phucking phaggot. You spelled Ozy wrong pleb.

Eddie's a good second place though.

BruceSkywalker
will pas unless I like the cast

Patient_Leech
Comedian was the best character you phucking phaggot.

Silk Spectre has a nice ass, though. Who is the phucking phaggot now?

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/features/watchmen_characters/watchmen_SilkSpectre.jpg

Arachnid1
I found out today that this is being made by the guy who made The Leftovers. This is going to be phenomenal.

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/09/19/watchmen-damon-lindelof-teases-start-of-pre-production

It's starting!

I'm three episodes away from finishing The Leftovers, and holy hell has it been a good ride. I'm sad it's ending, but this man helming Watchmen is the best pairing they could have made. He knows how to make layered and interesting characters and drama.

Also, it seems the Watchmen are set to join the comics DC universe in November in a huge event called Doomsday.

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/Superman-Doomsday-Clock.jpg

Arachnid1
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/05/22/watchmen-showrunner-damon-lindelof-promises-new-characters-contemporary-setting

That first paragraph sounds like a whole lot of Alan Moore ass kissing, but whatever.

I love how he wrote his letter like a Dr. Manhattan chapter.

Anyway, a new group of heroes sounds cool to me. Lindelof is good at characterization so I'm sure he'll knock that out of the park. I just hope some of the other heroes make appearances at some point. I'm interested to see how he'll pull it off, though I'm slightly worried too. After reading his letter to the fans though, it's plain that he's a fan too. He won't hurt the universe or continuity.

Patient_Leech
Oh, cool. I like Lindelof to an extent. Lost could have been good, but I'll blame that on the writer's strike. He also got robbed on Prometheus and was unfairly judged for that. So I hope he is able to follow through completely with this. He's going to have to redeem himself in a big way here.

I'm glad they aren't just redoing the novel. The Zack Snyder film is basically that, so it's already been done.

BruceSkywalker
cast is whack

Arachnid1
Regina King is fking awesome.

Not sure about the rest of them though.

carthage
Jeremy Irons is cast in a lead role

https://screenrant.com/watchmen-hbo-jeremy-irons-cast/

Arachnid1
9FHYri6Y4oA

There's like 3 seconds of footage in that (at 1 minute) lol. I hope they come out with a full trailer soon.

Robtard
Watchmen is set in "an alternate history where 'superheroes' are treated as outlaws" and "embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel while attempting to break new ground of its own." -snip

Seems like it's going to both follow the graphic novel but expand out on it's own as there's not enough writing to do 10+ hours of story/filming.

Hopefully all keys points of the story are kept and the extra scenes are character development and more backstory. eg wouldn't mind an ep where it's Doc M and Comedian in Vietnam during the war.

Arachnid1
It takes place several decades after the events of the book, so no Comedian or Rorschach. The Doc also completely left the galaxy so I'm assuming he wont be in. It's a completely new cast except for Ozy and Silk Specter (or a character named "Agent Blake" who everyone assumes is Silk Specter).

Impediment
zymgtV99Rko

What in the actual ass?!

This looks like a hard pass for me.

Alan Moore must be vomiting blood right now.

TheVaultDweller
What in the actual ass?!

This about sums it up.

tkitna
Looks like garbage

Galan007
Won't even waste the bandwidth to download this heap of shit.

ares834
Looks interesting. Kinda funny that the villains are basically Anonymous though...

Patient_Leech
Looks like they might be doing something non-linear and confusing like they did with Westworld.

Westworld is cool, but it's honestly too much work for me. So if this is similar I'll probably pass.

Arachnid1
I think it looks great. This is probably my most hyped show rn

BrolyBlack

BrolyBlack
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Looks like they might be doing something non-linear and confusing like they did with Westworld.

Westworld is cool, but it's honestly too much work for me. So if this is similar I'll probably pass.

Yea already is looking like a major letdown.

How silly of them not to use DM.

Darth Thor
^ No DM? Meh ill pass.

Arachnid1
1yKq1PRvPJQ

So Hooded Justice, Nite Owl, Dr. Manhattan, Ozy, and Silk Spectre (if Laurie Blake is her, though she looks too young) are all in this. Hell ya.

We've also got a new vigilante by the name of Looking Glass and whoever that hooded Ninja chick ends up being.

Darth Thor
^ Didnt it kinda confirm DM wont be in it, by showing a live stream of him living on Mars

ares834
"Nothing ever ends."

That was always my favorite sequence from Watchmen; it always pissed me off that the film didn't have it.

Anyway, looks decent. Dr. Manhattan being on Mars is stupid though. He left the galaxy not merely the planet.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Darth Thor
^ Didnt it kinda confirm DM wont be in it, by showing a live stream of him living on Mars A lot of people are theorizing that it was him showing up in the suit at the end and picking up the Dr. Manhattan mask. It felt like a 'Dr. Manhattan just showed up to shut this shit down" moment.

Plus, the fact that he's back on Mars makes me think he has to be involved eventually. The comic ended with him leaving the galaxy altogether. If he came back to the same solar system, it's for a reason. Dude's a living chekhov's gun now.

Galan007
Originally posted by ares834
Anyway, looks decent. Dr. Manhattan being on Mars is stupid though. He left the galaxy not merely the planet. It's Dr. Manhattan. He could be in both places simultaneously. He's like the epitome of a non-linear being.

A lot of people are theorizing that it was him showing up in the suit at the end and picking up the Dr. Manhattan mask. It felt like a 'Dr. Manhattan just showed up to shut this shit down" moment. Pretty sure that's him. We even see a dark blue hand reach down to pick the mask up.

Likely the same suit(and complexion) he was wearing here:
https://i.imgur.com/gCcNJ96.jpg

Darth Thor
A lot of people are theorizing that it was him showing up in the suit at the end and picking up the Dr. Manhattan mask. It felt like a 'Dr. Manhattan just showed up to shut this shit down" moment.

Ah right I didnt get what that scene was all about.

ares834
It's Dr. Manhattan. He could be in both places simultaneously. He's like the epitome of a non-linear being.

Fair enough. I suppose my impression was that he departed for good as he fully embraced becoming "God" and left the world behind.

A lot of people are theorizing that it was him showing up in the suit at the end and picking up the Dr. Manhattan mask. It felt like a 'Dr. Manhattan just showed up to shut this shit down" moment.

Good catch.

Galan007
Fair enough. I suppose my impression was that he departed for good as he fully embraced becoming "God" and left the world behind. Oh yeah, that was definitely the intent of the original series... I was just spitballing a possible explanation. thumb up

I mean, I can kind of see why he'd return to Mars, as it seemed like a special sanctuary of sorts for him... But Jon returning to earth doesn't really make sense to me -- especially if he actually intervenes in their BS again.

Surtur
I had this great idea. After the first episode there is a media outlet with an article titled "Who watches the watchmen?" and then the article talks about the ratings of the episode.

I'm so good.

Impediment
This looks.................just awful.

Surtur
You're f*cking ruthless.

Robtard
Still have some hope for this, mostly because I love the source material. But from the previews I can also see myself not watching past 2-4 eps.

Dr Will Hatch
I'm watching this right now. It's kind of boring and painfully slow. Doesn't feel like it has anything to do with Watchmen outside of the Rorschach reference.

BruceSkywalker
anyone watch yet

ares834
Yep. It was alright. Nothing particularly great about it aside from the score. It has almost nothing to do with the original comics so far. Probably one of the most disappointing aspects is that the Seventh Calvary (the guys wearing the Rorschach masks) are just racists that are killing cops for no real reason rather than some conspiracy group. Seriously, they have no connection with Rorschach other than the masks and being alt right.

wakkawakkawakka
I saw a snippet of this and its pretty boring. Also if this takes place 30-34 years after the events of Watchmen then I don't see how only an alt right gang of cop killers was the big thing that came from Rorschach's efforts: the Seventh Calvary thing is dumb. Also Adrian supposedly dying in his mid-70's seems a bit early for the world's smartest and pressumably wealthiest man.

ares834
I'm pretty sure Irons is playing Ozy. Maybe he faked his death or something.

Impediment
Dude.

This was f*cking painful to watch.

Not even joking.

This first episode was a fecal glazed abortion.

Robtard
I thought it was okay, if you remove the comic and movie comparison (which is natural to do) out of it. Good enough to watch part two and see where it goes, though I could see this going poorly very fast.

Tim Blake Nelson's talents just seem wasted though, best actor there and his role is meh.

Arachnid1
I liked it.

I like the idea of the police acting as vigilantes in a super authoritarian regime. The masks and them having to get authorization for firearms (and the consequences of that) were great. The police may be the protagonists, but they're definitely not "good guys".

I loved the Rorschach neo-nazis using his journal as a manifesto (dude sent his journal to an alt-right newspaper at the end after all).

I'm guessing the Sheriff who died at the end and adopted Regina King's character from Vietnam is Nite Owl. Dude had the Owl mug and piloted the police Archie (if the police have Nite Owls tech, he was either caught and had it all confiscated, donated it, or Nite Owl himself became the sheriff after he outed himself).There's also him having the first Nite Owls book on his desk in the precinct. The blood dripping onto his badge was an obvious parallel to the Comedians death, so I'm thinking they killed off Nite Owl to further parallel the source materials kick off (in which case, pretty good start). It's also possible that he's just a completely new character who mirrors Comedians purpose in the source material.

I'm excited to see what the deal is with the wheelchair executioner. He was watching that silent film of the vigilante lynching the corrupt sheriff during the intro, so I guess that implies Judds character is somehow corrupt (or at least perceived to be corrupt by the wheelchair executioner). I read a solid theory online concerning his identity that I wish had put together myself. It almost seems obvious in hindsight.

Irons/Ozy and his weird defective lab grown servants are interesting. I'm wondering what his goals are. So far, he faked his death and created life. I'm guessing he's trying to clone himself or something? New age Ozy? New age lab grown Watchmen? He has to have picked up on the fact that the Rorschach Neo Nazi's claims are a little too close to the truth, so maybe it has something to do with him preparing for the inevitable fallout from that stuff getting out.

Loled @ Nixon on Mt. Rushmore

The raining squid weather phenomenon was insane (byproduct of Ozy's original squid event I guess?).

Looking Glass is probably the coolest vigilante introduced so far. I love his sensory overload interrogation tank, and I'm looking forward to seeing more from him.

Regina King is a great actress and I can't wait to see her get more into her role. That said, I'm not entirely clear on her role yet. Is she supposed to be a payed/outsourced vigilante/merc? She's not a cop, but she gets brought in for more important cases. She's seems pretty corrupt if she's abducting and torturing people off personal intuition (or Looking Glass' interpretation). I'm not really routing for her character, but I'm curious.

The Tulsa Race Riot/Massacre in the intro was f*cking fantastic, and possibly the best part of the episode. I had no idea this was even a thing before I saw this so the imagery definitely set the tone. How the hell have I never even heard of this? Also, I got some pretty hardcore Krypton/Planet Vegeta vibes from this scene.

Lastly, it's worth mentioning that the soundtrack was pretty great.

Robtard
I think Imp's problem was that we didn't see any naked bare blue dicks. Fear not, it's HBO, we likely will in time.

Putinbot1
I suspect it will be awful, I may have shared this before, I vaguely knew Alan in the noughties. He is an incredibly charismatic man in real life.

Darth Thor
Okay wasnt at all what I was expecting.

If you took out the Rorschach reference and the snippet of Manhattan, I would literally have no idea this has anything to do with Watchmen.

Anyway curious enough to keep watching for now.

riv6672
^^^Same.

^^^Opposite.

carthage
I still have 20 minutes left as I had to pause it for workZ but it seems really interesting in a parallel universe kind of way. The casting is stellar and it has just enough comic flourishes to make me still curious.

Darth Thor
So apparently this isnt a sequel to the film, but to the original graphic novel.

jaden_2.0
Put me in the mood of steak.

Galan007
Even if you forget about the source material this was still absolute garbage. erm

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Darth Thor
So apparently this isnt a sequel to the film, but to the original graphic novel. Ya of course. The raining squids were more than enough to clue me on that.

Putinbot1
This show has the worst pilot ever.

ares834
So pretty much the only good part in the second episode was the Ozy scenes which amounted to around 5 minutes. Admittedly, they were really good but still...

Galan007
What do you think the odds are that Manhattan is posing as Ozy in this?

I mean, Will referencing Manhattan's ability to "look like us" and be in multiple places simultaneously is certainly a massive Chekhov's Gun if I've ever seen one... So it seems likely that Manhattan is posing as *someone* here -- potentially several people.

Anyway, like I said from the start: the Manhattan plot is the only thing that will keep me watching this.

Putinbot1
The second episode was terrible.

Araan Eligis
This show's 100 times better than people here are giving it credit for.

ares834
Actually a good episode.

Robtard
3rd ep was an improvement, but I'm still not fully sold on this, just enough to watch another ep. The main character, Sister Night, is just kinda bland and I don't care about her.

Ozy's story is the most interesting part of the show.

Laurie Blake is the second most interesting.

Looking Glass is good, but he's a minor player thus far. Seems to solely exist to move Sister Night's plot along.

Putinbot1
Sorry it's terrible and I have now officially stopped watching it.

Darth Thor
Actually a good episode.

Yeah massive improvement.

Galan007
Definitely a step in the right direction.

I like how those phone booths have basically become alters that people use to 'pray' to Manhattan. thumb up

So is the consensus that Manhattan has created an environment/ecosystem...likely on Mars...and has trapped Ozy there in a perpetual time-loop(essentially his own little Hell) that he is seeking to escape by way of the catapults and space suits he's cobbling together..?

Darth Thor
^ Interesting theory

Dr Will Hatch
Episode 3 should have been the premiere episode. It's easily the best one so far. We're *finally* getting somewhere with this show.

Robtard

I like how those phone booths have basically become alters that people use to 'pray' to Manhattan. thumb up

So is the consensus that Manhattan has created an environment/ecosystem...likely on Mars...and has trapped Ozy there in a perpetual time-loop(essentially his own little Hell) that he is seeking to escape by way of the catapults and space suits he's cobbling together..?

While I do like this theory, as it certainly makes sense especially in regards to the suit that failed to protect from the cold, the "warden" guy and the rest of the world thinking Veidt is dead.

There's one HUGE hole. Without Veidt's tachyon device, Manhattan would already be aware of any attempts to break free.

jaden_2.0
Getting a bad feeling they're trying to be too smart for their own good with this and it'll end up a garbled mess like Wayward Pines or the 2nd season of Westworld or True Detective. I hope not though. Lindelof doesn't exactly have a sterling track record of implementing deep themes in his writing. You usually end up with trash like Lost and Prometheus.

Dr Will Hatch
^ Lost wasn't trash.

Araan Eligis
Originally posted by Dr Will Hatch
^ Lost wasn't trash.

thumb up

Lost and Leftovers are probably in the top 10 best shows of all time (and I'd say top 2 when it comes to fantasy/science fiction) and those are I believe the only major projects Damon Lindelof had a central creative role in before this.

Galan007
Originally posted by Robtard
There's one HUGE hole. Without Veidt's tachyon device, Manhattan would already be aware of any attempts to break free. Perhaps his escape could be part of the bigger 'plan'..?

Putinbot1
Originally posted by Araan Eligis
thumb up

Lost and Leftovers are probably in the top 10 best shows of all time (and I'd say top 2 when it comes to fantasy/science fiction) and those are I believe the only major projects Damon Lindelof had a central creative role in before this. Lost is no STtos or GOT.

Putinbot1
Originally posted by jaden_2.0
Getting a bad feeling they're trying to be too smart for their own good with this and it'll end up a garbled mess like Wayward Pines or the 2nd season of Westworld or True Detective. I hope not though. Lindelof doesn't exactly have a sterling track record of implementing deep themes in his writing. You usually end up with trash like Lost and Prometheus. thumb up

Araan Eligis
Originally posted by Putinbot1
Lost is no STtos or GOT.

I love Star Trek TOS but it's not even the best Star Trek (that would be DS9) and GOT's overrated. Battlestar Galactica and Westworld are better competition I'd say.

Galan007

So is the consensus that Manhattan has created an environment/ecosystem...likely on Mars...and has trapped Ozy there in a perpetual time-loop(essentially his own little Hell) that he is seeking to escape by way of the catapults and space suits he's cobbling together..? So now it seems like Ozy is on the moon, and Lady Trieu is behind it.

ares834
I read a pretty interesting theory that I think is likely.

To escape, Ozy encased himself in metal and used the catapult to launch himself to Earth. That meteor at the beginning is him and the statue that Trieu owns is actually Ozy still encased in metal.

Galan007
I like that, and it does seem likely. Probably why they made it a point to comment on the statue's appearance and whatnot.

Quincy
^ Lost wasn't trash.

Co-signed

LordofBrooklyn
THIS was a great episode!

ares834

Robtard
Ozy doesn't appear to be on the Moon, he's on one of Jupiter's moons

Likely Europa, Ganymede, Lo or Calisto, as they're more than barren rocks. I'd guess the first, as that's most often used in SciFi.

Galan007
Yeah, I'm not even going to continue speculating on Ozy at this point. Seems like his story takes unexpected turns every week.

Anyway, this episode was solid. It was cool seeing the 1985 squid on screen. thumb up

ares834
Yep. It just gets weirder and weirder.

And yeah, seeing the squid was great. As was seeing the effects from a character's POV who was in the blast radius.

With that said, Ozy creating a video where he reveals that he was behind the squid seems to be completely against his character. It was a cool scene, but I was not at all a fan.

Robtard
Every one of of Ozy's eps signifies that a year has passed from his perspective.

Episode 8 is titled: "A God Walks into a Bar", hoping that means we get Dr. M and his blue swinging dong

Galan007
I don't expect Manhattan to pop-up until the final episode, tbh... So seeing him before that would be a nice surprise. thumb up

Arachnid1

jaden_2.0
The Schindler's List reference is possibly the worst thing I've ever seen. I actually started laughing out of embarrassment at how bad it was.

Surtur
only show with a cosmic squid

finally calamari get equal representation

Quincy
Latest episode was high quality. I've really been enjoying the show

Galan007
This episode was lame.

BrolyBlack
Is DM even in this?

Stringer
Even worse then the movie

LordofBrooklyn
They are REALLY setting up for a brilliant and controversial finally if they plan on doing what I suspect.

ares834
They completely missed the point of Dr. Manhattan.

I have no clue how any one can think this kind of shit was a good idea. It's as bad, if not worse, then how TLJ handled Luke. It's downright embarrassing.

NemeBro
What did they do? Spoiler it or PM it if you don't want people to read it.

ares834
Remember how at the end of the Watchmen Doc has shed his last shreds of humanity, basically become a God, and left the galaxy to create life? Well, apparently he didn't leave. Instead he is so in love with the main character that he removes his memories and suppresses his powers so that he can marry the MC and play house.

carthage

80sBaby
Remember how at the end of the Watchmen Doc has shed his last shreds of humanity, basically become a God, and left the galaxy to create life? Well, apparently he didn't leave. Instead he is so in love with the main character that he removes his memories and suppresses his powers so that he can marry the MC and play house.

Well we have no clue if he left Earth or not. This takes place 30+ years after Watchmen ended. It's very probable that John did go off and create life (like those clones) and found them lacking. So he went back to Earth to find out what he was missing and then met Angela. And we also have no idea the reason he decides to become human. That's what the next episode is about.

ares834
They better have a damn good reason because the character's entire arc in the comic is about him losing his humanity and becoming a distant "God".

80sBaby
They better have a damn good reason because the character's entire arc in the comic is about him losing his humanity and becoming a distant "God".
Hmm, that's not quite accurate. Remember when Laurie convinced him to help, it was due to his revelation at what a miracle it was for all of humanity to exist despite probability. He didn't lose his humanity. If anything, he became even more fascinated by it, which s why he said he was going off to create life.

Galan007
It's also possible that there's more than one Manhattan. Possibly several more...

ares834
Originally posted by 80sBaby
Hmm, that's not quite accurate. Remember when Laurie convinced him to help, it was due to his revelation at what a miracle it was for all of humanity to exist despite probability. He didn't lose his humanity. If anything, he became even more fascinated by it, which s why he said he was going off to create life.

No, it's completely accurate. What he regained throughout the comic wasn't his humanity but an appreciation for life.

80sBaby
No, it's completely accurate. What he regained throughout the comic wasn't his humanity but an appreciation for life.
That's splitting hairs, imo. But I guess we'll see what happens next episode.

Galan007
Yeah.

By the end all he wanted to do is leave earth for a planet "less complicated" in another galaxy, and create new life on his own terms.

Having him return to earth shortly after leaving, and live life as a human being while neutering his powers doesn't make sense to me either... Even if this is just one(of several) Manhattans running around.

ares834
Yep. Yep. I was bitching about having him return to Mars, but now he has not only returned to Earth but is in a relationship again?! The hell?

Originally posted by 80sBaby
That's splitting hairs, imo. But I guess we'll see what happens next episode.

How is it "splitting hairs"? It's two different things entirely.

80sBaby
To me he didn't really give up his humanity if he sees the beauty in it. He was still connected and wanted a better understanding of life. He was just tired of Earth and it's shenanigans.

Galan007
Which is why it seems odd that he would even want to return to earth and keep dealing with those shenanigans.

Dr Will Hatch
It's also possible that there's more than one Manhattan. Possibly several more...

Which makes no sense since Osterman is supposed to have a very specific mindset as a physicist and watchmaker that made him uniquely able to reconstruct himself from nothing.

80sBaby
Which is why it seems odd that he would even want to return to earth and keep dealing with those shenanigans.

Unless, as I posited earlier, he's seeking something in humans he's missing in his clones.

Galan007
Which makes no sense since Osterman is supposed to have a very specific mindset as a physicist and watchmaker that made him uniquely able to reconstruct himself from nothing. I'm talking about Manhattan's ability to make duplicates of himself, as seen in the original source material, and also referenced by Will in episode 2.

Dr Will Hatch
I'm talking about Manhattan's ability to make duplicates of himself, as seen in the original source material, and also referenced by Will in episode 2.

Yeah, you're right, I'm sorry.

After thinking about it more, that thought crossed my mind as well. I just hope that idea that the 7K can kill Manhattan turns out to be nothing and he just explodes them all or displaces them somewhere.

Putinbot1
Gave Lostmen another go... Terrible, this show is truly awful.

Galan007
#NotMyJon sick

playa1258
Masterpiece episode. Watchmen is superior to every show ever produced by Marvel.

80sBaby
The episode was pretty good. I like the concept of how they were giving more insight into how Jon views the world. The acting was great, too.

I do think they didn't explain why he came back or allowed himself to get zapped well enough, though. It would have been better if they had the 7K block his future-sight or something. They relied too heavily on the "chicken/egg" paradox, imo. I get that's how DM sees things but I also think it doesn't make much sense that there was nothing he could do. He simply didn't even try. If I were Angela, I'd be pissed that he seemed to just give up.

Galan007
It goes back to these lines from the source material:

"Everything is preordained. Even my responses."
"We're all puppets... I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."

In short, the idea here is that Jon can't change future events because, from his vantage point, they've already happened a particular way -- he is, essentially, confined to a fixed series of unalterable events. That is the 'curse' of perceiving time simultaneously, as Jon does... He is just a quantum observer.

But they did an absolutely terrible job explaining the above... They didn't explain WHY this nigh-omnipotent being didn't simply unmake everyone parked outside the house with a snap, instead of just standing there like a dipshit.

I also hated how Jon now got the idea to create life from some random British couple who showed him the Bible... and also didn't like that he apparently never disassociated from humanity, like the source material depicted, and actually went right back into a human life/relationship without skipping a beat. These changes to continuity were gratuitous and unneeded, imo.

....and I'm thinking this either ends with Angela gaining Manhattan's powers herself OR being the one who destroys Manhattan to prevent the 7th calvary from gaining his powers.

ares834
Absolutely sloppy writing. Sure, Dr. Manhattan may perceive and experience events in a non-linear order and therefore be unable to change them but in such a case events should play out in his favor. The only way someone should be able to hit him with the laser is if he wants to be hit by it as its all according to his keikaku (or because someone is messing with his foresight). But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

Furthermore, my issues with Manhattan returning to earth and having a relationship with NS still stand. And the reason he fell in love with her is pathetic. The idea of it being due to a casual loop is fun, but the rest... meh.

Also, Manhattan looked terrible. It was just a dude painted blue. He even still had pupils. They really should have used CGI like Snyder's film, now that was a God.

Galan007
thumb up

And even when they used CG to make him glow, he just looked like the outlet mall version of Electro from ASM.

It was painfully bad.

Robtard
It goes back to these lines from the source material:

"Everything is preordained. Even my responses."
"We're all puppets... I'm just a puppet who can see the strings."

In short, the idea here is that Jon can't change future events because, from his vantage point, they've already happened a particular way -- he is, essentially, confined to a fixed series of unalterable events. That is the 'curse' of perceiving time simultaneously, as Jon does... He is just a quantum observer.

But they did an absolutely terrible job explaining the above... They didn't explain WHY this nigh-omnipotent being didn't simply unmake everyone parked outside the house with a snap, instead of just standing there like a dipshit.

I also hated how Jon now got the idea to create life from some random British couple who showed him the Bible... and also didn't like that he apparently never disassociated from humanity, like the source material depicted, and actually went right back into a human life/relationship without skipping a beat. These changes to continuity were gratuitous and unneeded, imo.

....and I'm thinking this either ends with Angela gaining Manhattan's powers herself OR being the one who destroys Manhattan to prevent the 7th calvary from gaining his powers.

I'm thinking gain, cos it was hinted at heavily in the bar scene, with the egg.

We also see racist senator guy getting into an intrinsic field generator in the preview, which just seems like a stupid idea, cos if what happened to Osterman wasn't a one-in-one-trillion fluke chance and all it takes is a IF generator room, the government would have been churning out Manhattans themselves.

Honestly, not liking this John arch at all so far.

ares834
He's been so badly mishandled. I've already mentioned how they've thrown out his entire arc and made him act like a total retard because of "muh determinism" but there are so many other issues as well such as power levels. Manhattan single handily ended an entire war and Ozy poses no more threat to him than a termite, but a group of racist trailer hicks can somehow defeat him. It's just downright embarrassing.

The weird thing is I still see people praising this shit. Are people so captivated by a non-linear story that they can't see the blatant flaws?

ares834
https://i.imgur.com/hOTIvrB.png

And I'm not even a fan of Snyder's adaptation.

Galan007
Say what you will abut Snyder's Watchmen, but his Manhattan was infinitely superior to the garbage we're getting here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNXohNU3tWo&t=1m6s

Robtard
Be real, the real issue YOU people have is that the god is portrayed as a Black man again and he seemingly has a decently sized penis devil

Galan007
I did legitimately lol at the gratuitous use of bbc in this.

carthage
Show has been botched
But the arc with Ozymandias was pretty entertaining. I laughed Everytime he was on screen

ares834
Originally posted by Robtard
Be real, the real issue YOU people have is that the god is portrayed as a Black man again and he seemingly has a decently sized penis devil

https://media.giphy.com/media/rngE31q0PTHbO/source.gif

Robtard
Begs the question, Manhattan gave himself a very well muscled/defined body because he was still on some level humanly aware of human physical attractions and relations. Why not also give himself a huge dong?

https://sanseverything.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/dr20manhattan203.jpg

Was it classical Greece thing the writers/artist were tapping into? Cos it was considered good taste to depict small-penis in statues of men for a certain period in Greece.

Galan007
Judging by the size of Laurie's dildo, I'm guessing Manhattan is a grower, not a shower.

https://i.imgur.com/kzHZwnh.jpg

Robtard
LoL well played.

Patient_Leech
So is this more unnecessary non-linear confusion?

From what I'm reading in this thread it doesn't sound too great. Just wondering if I should give it a go sometime.

I still rather enjoy the Snyder film, so I'm not entirely thrilled about a Tv series dragged out for hours and hours...

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>