Question about gender being a "social construct".

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

long pig
According to feminism and Liberals, gender is purely a social construct. They believe men and women are identical except for their gentitalia ....

So explain: How can a person like Bruce Jenner feel like he was born as a woman with a female brain? . You can't be born with a social construct can you?

Someone is lying?

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by long pig
According to feminism and Liberals, gender is purely a social construct.

"i kick strawmen on the internet" -LP

Digi
"Born as a woman" is just a common phrase to denote that she felt like a woman in a man's body. You're divorcing its usage from common sense about what it means to try for a "gotcha" moment.

I.e. kicking strawmen.

Time-Immemorial
We have a few transgenders around here, maybe they should enlighten us.

long pig
Originally posted by Digi
"Born as a woman" is just a common phrase to denote that she felt like a woman in a man's body. You're divorcing its usage from common sense about what it means to try for a "gotcha" moment.

I.e. kicking strawmen.
How can you feel like a woman in a man's body? Woman hood is a social construct.

A man and woman's brain are born gender neutral.

long pig
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
"i kick strawmen on the internet" -LP
I notice you didn't answer the question.

If gender is a social construct, how can someone feel like a woman inside? Are you saying they were changed to feel that way due to societal pressure?

long pig
I'm actually reading an article by a feminist group denouncing transgendered people for "spreading the falsehood that gender is biological in nature.". Its a pretty big rift in the LGBT community.

ArtificialGlory
Gender is most definitely not purely a social construct.

Digi
I have a friend who's transgender, and have some ties to the LGBT community in my town. I can't pretend to speak for any of them. For reference, though, I've never once heard the term "social construct" to describe anything about them or how they identify themselves. I don't think they deny biology's role in gender, as LP's reductionist repetition seems to suggest. Rather, it's just about being true to themselves and how they feel in regards to gender and sexuality.

Originally posted by long pig
How can you feel like a woman in a man's body? Woman hood is a social construct.

A man and woman's brain are born gender neutral.

Probably because you don't have the personal experience to be able to rationalize this without resorting to your one explanation here, which is clearly inadequate, as it fails to describe large swaths of people. It's overwhelmingly likely that your feminist article doesn't speak for more than a niche group. Despite some societal cohesion, it's not like they ALL get together and decide what's what. As with anything in life, there are disagreements. And some arguments have more merit than others. But you're definitely taking the part for the whole here.

Adam Grimes
Gender roles are a social construct. Genders, in the biological sense, are not.

Digi
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Gender roles are a social construct. Genders, in the biological sense, are not.

thumb up

StyleTime
Long Pig, feminism isn't a monolith. While an element of social justice underlies any given part of the movement, feminists are individuals first and foremost. Feminist opinions can vary wildly, and there are plenty of disagreements within the movement itself. There are, in fact, trans-critical feminists.

As for your question, it's really easy. He may have identified with our socially constructed understanding of femininity, and wanted his body to reflect that.

Ushgarak
Again, trolling from the OP via assumptions designed to irritate. Stop opening poor threads.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.