KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Question about gender being a "social construct".

Is gender only a social construct?
This poll is closed.
Yes. 0 0%
No. 1 100.00%
Total: 1 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Question about gender being a "social construct".
Started by: long pig

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Question about gender being a "social construct".

According to feminism and Liberals, gender is purely a social construct. They believe men and women are identical except for their gentitalia ....

So explain: How can a person like Bruce Jenner feel like he was born as a woman with a female brain? . You can't be born with a social construct can you?

Someone is lying?

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 03:30 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bashar Teg
Senior Mentat

Re: Question about gender being a "social construct".

quote: (post)
Originally posted by long pig
According to feminism and Liberals, gender is purely a social construct.

"i kick strawmen on the internet" -LP

Your Lord knows very well what is in your heart. Your soul suffices this day as a reckoner against you. I need no witnesses. You do not listen to your soul, but listen instead to your anger and your rage.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 03:43 AM
Bashar Teg is currently offline Click here to Send Bashar Teg a Private Message Find more posts by Bashar Teg Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

"Born as a woman" is just a common phrase to denote that she felt like a woman in a man's body. You're divorcing its usage from common sense about what it means to try for a "gotcha" moment.

I.e. kicking strawmen.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 03:45 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

We have a few transgenders around here, maybe they should enlighten us.

In order for any life to matter, we all have to matter

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 03:48 AM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Digi
"Born as a woman" is just a common phrase to denote that she felt like a woman in a man's body. You're divorcing its usage from common sense about what it means to try for a "gotcha" moment.

I.e. kicking strawmen.

How can you feel like a woman in a man's body? Woman hood is a social construct.

A man and woman's brain are born gender neutral.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 04:19 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Bashar Teg
"i kick strawmen on the internet" -LP

I notice you didn't answer the question.

If gender is a social construct, how can someone feel like a woman inside? Are you saying they were changed to feel that way due to societal pressure?

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 04:22 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm actually reading an article by a feminist group denouncing transgendered people for "spreading the falsehood that gender is biological in nature.". Its a pretty big rift in the LGBT community.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 04:27 AM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Gender is most definitely not purely a social construct.

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 05:18 AM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

I have a friend who's transgender, and have some ties to the LGBT community in my town. I can't pretend to speak for any of them. For reference, though, I've never once heard the term "social construct" to describe anything about them or how they identify themselves. I don't think they deny biology's role in gender, as LP's reductionist repetition seems to suggest. Rather, it's just about being true to themselves and how they feel in regards to gender and sexuality.

Originally posted by long pig
How can you feel like a woman in a man's body? Woman hood is a social construct.

A man and woman's brain are born gender neutral.

Probably because you don't have the personal experience to be able to rationalize this without resorting to your one explanation here, which is clearly inadequate, as it fails to describe large swaths of people. It's overwhelmingly likely that your feminist article doesn't speak for more than a niche group. Despite some societal cohesion, it's not like they ALL get together and decide what's what. As with anything in life, there are disagreements. And some arguments have more merit than others. But you're definitely taking the part for the whole here.

Last edited by Digi on Nov 3rd, 2015 at 05:45 AM

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 05:40 AM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Adam Grimes
Devil On Your Shoulder

Gender roles are a social construct. Genders, in the biological sense, are not.

Not today, not tomorrow...

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 05:41 AM
Adam Grimes is currently offline Click here to Send Adam Grimes a Private Message Find more posts by Adam Grimes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
Gender roles are a social construct. Genders, in the biological sense, are not.

thumb up

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 05:45 AM
StyleTime

Long Pig, feminism isn't a monolith. While an element of social justice underlies any given part of the movement, feminists are individuals first and foremost. Feminist opinions can vary wildly, and there are plenty of disagreements within the movement itself. There are, in fact, trans-critical feminists.

As for your question, it's really easy. He may have identified with our socially constructed understanding of femininity, and wanted his body to reflect that.

Last edited by StyleTime on Nov 3rd, 2015 at 06:31 AM

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 06:17 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Again, trolling from the OP via assumptions designed to irritate. Stop opening poor threads.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Nov 3rd, 2015 07:33 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote