Who are the parents of Rey?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ozz81
?

Lord Stark
Luke and Leia
http://orig01.deviantart.net/eac9/f/2010/303/c/d/star_wars___the_kiss_by_wildman10-d31t3oz.gif

excellent

ozz81
Originally posted by Lord Stark
Luke and Leia
http://orig01.deviantart.net/eac9/f/2010/303/c/d/star_wars___the_kiss_by_wildman10-d31t3oz.gif

excellent
Lol no way it cant be ....

|King Joker|
Luke is probably her father.

FreshestSlice
Originally posted by ozz81
Lol no way it cant be ....
He's right.

https://twitter.com/fishinforcarrie/status/676958833462394881

Bashar Teg
lyanna stark and rhaegar targaryen

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
lyanna stark and rhaegar targaryen

That's not how you spell Cersei and Jamie excellent

Q99
I hope it's some unknowns.

queeq
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Luke is probably her father.

I doubt it and I hope not.

What I get from the flashback is that Reys parents were taken. Probably by Rey? (Although he must have been extremely young to do that, maybe Snoke?). If we have to believe Maz Kanata her parents are someone else: they will not come back. But someone might" or something like that, referring to Luke.

I think Rey's from a new family. I'd prefer it otherwise it would seem the Force can only run through the Skywalker family. To broaden the franchise and give it some longevity, it'd be better if she's not a Skywalker.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by queeq
I doubt it and I hope not.

What I get from the flashback is that Reys parents were taken. Probably by Rey? (Although he must have been extremely young to do that, maybe Snoke?). If we have to believe Maz Kanata her parents are someone else: they will not come back. But someone might" or something like that, referring to Luke.

I think Rey's from a new family. I'd prefer it otherwise it would seem the Force can only run through the Skywalker family. To broaden the franchise and give it some longevity, it'd be better if she's not a Skywalker.

Nah, I disagree. The lightsaber being drawn to her makes a lot more sense if she's a skywalker. And if she isn't a Skywalker it makes Finn not being force sensitive an even weaker choice imo.

queeq
Well, for one it IS strange that a lightsaber does that. The Force is created by all living beings, not by lifeless metal. In the entire saga we see people losing or damaging their lightsabres so much, that I doubt a metal object can be connected in the Force.

Unless... the Force uses it to guide someone to his or her destiny. QGJ was led to meet Anakin. They were not related and yet the Force led QGJ to Anakin. Same could be happening here: the Force uses the lightsaber to bring Rey to Luke so she can be trained.

It could be of course, that she is a Skywalker, but after the sudden and kinda weird connection between Luke and Leia as siblings, I hope they make Rey a completely fresh character with no other relation than being strong with the Force. Just like QGJ and Anakin.

Their is already a new generation of Skywalker around after all.

Lord Stark
Well, for one it IS strange that a lightsaber does that. The Force is created by all living beings, not by lifeless metal. In the entire saga we see people losing or damaging their lightsabres so much, that I doubt a metal object can be connected in the Force.

Unless... the Force uses it to guide someone to his or her destiny. QGJ was led to meet Anakin. They were not related and yet the Force led QGJ to Anakin. Same could be happening here: the Force uses the lightsaber to bring Rey to Luke so she can be trained.

It could be of course, that she is a Skywalker, but after the sudden and kinda weird connection between Luke and Leia as siblings, I hope they make Rey a completely fresh character with no other relation than being strong with the Force. Just like QGJ and Anakin.

Their is already a new generation of Skywalker around after all.

That's not true at all. TCWs makes it clear that the crystals in the sabers are drawn to certain individuals.

FreshestSlice
Lulz, personally, I don't think it could be any more obvious that Rey is Luke's daughter. Kylo knows this random student and decides to save her due to their incredibly deep relationship he developed with her at 5 and he at 15. The lightsaber likes this random. Leia sends this random to find the brother she's been looking for, for a decade and a half, alone. This random is more powerful than Kylo Ren. "It is you, (random)!"

That's just shitty writing to make her anything but Luke's daughter.

Ushgarak
There's a fairly large gulf between 'random' and 'Luke's daughter'. There can be a reason for all that without there having to be a bloodline. We're in a galaxy where there can be chosen ones, after all.

And what is this 'awakening in the Force'? The very title of the film isn't explained yet. The sabre thing does suggest bloodline- or at least very close connection- but I think the Rey thing could go a lot of ways.

JediRobin23
Han and leia is most likely her parents.

They left Rey on jakuu to protect her

FreshestSlice
There's a zero percent chance Han and Leia are Rey's parents. Like absolute zero.
Originally posted by Ushgarak
There's a fairly large gulf between 'random' and 'Luke's daughter'. There can be a reason for all that without there having to be a bloodline. We're in a galaxy where there can be chosen ones, after all.

No, we're in a galaxy with A, as in singular, Chosen One. And yes, there must be a bloodline because that's the entire focus of the saga. Anakin Skywalker and his family. erm

Except, Kathleen Kennedy has already said that the episodic movies are about the Skywalker family. The Force Awakening was obviously referring to it awakening in Rey, with the saber before and her defeating Ren at the very end. There's really no question at this point.
“The saga films focus on the Skywalker family. The stories follow a linear narrative that connects to the previous six films. The Force Awakens follows Return of the Jedi and continues that generational story. The Anthology films offer opportunities to explore fresh characters, new storylines, and a variety of genres inside the Star Wars universe.”

ares834
Luke.

Kylo was the one who stranded her on Jakku after he was unable to kill her during his attack on the Jedi. It works damn near perfectly.

"What girl?!"

NewLanceWindu
You would think either Han or Leia, upon finding out Rey is from Jakku would say "Hey, didn't we leave our daughter on that planet? She would be about Rey's age now!"

Han and Leia are NOT the parents.

Nai
Am I the only person who remembers that teaser trailer...?

ngElkyQ6Rhs

This is Luke talking about how strong the Force is in his family, mentioning his fathers connection to the Force, his own, and his sisters (Leia). The only force using characters not refered to are Kylo and Rey. If he was talking to Kylo, he would say "your mother" (Leia) and not "my sister". The same would be the case if he was talking to another child of Leia.

So he is obviously talking to his own child here. And the only character left for that position is Rey. There is also no other reasonable explanation for Leia sending Rey to find Luke on her own. And this is also explains Luke's reaction, whe she reaches him.

JediRobin23
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
You would think either Han or Leia, upon finding out Rey is from Jakku would say "Hey, didn't we leave our daughter on that planet? She would be about Rey's age now!"

Han and Leia are NOT the parents.

Not quite sure why Rey can't be the daughter

Force sensitive, a sky walker, brother and sister fighting later on, like father and son.

But, couldn't it be that she was not originally raised by her real parents, because they were protecting her from maybe snoke???

Snoke corrupting Ren, but not Rey, as there's light and dark, hence Luke eventually knowing that he will have to train Rey

I'm just not sure why people can just say Han and leia are not her parents...

Sky walker or solo bloodline is still there with Ren, so so much for the skywalker only Jedi/sith with ep 1-6

FreshestSlice
Rey can't be their daughter because they never had one and never discuss one. Not to mention, Rey and Leia met for the first time at the very end of the movie. Not to mention, you'd think Han would mention that at some point before committing suicide by Knight of Ren.

Bashar Teg
im convinced han didnt know of her. not entirely convinced about leia.

JediRobin23
im convinced han didnt know of her. not entirely convinced about leia.

If they were hiding her, then it's easy for them to play dumb...

ares834
There is absolutely no chance she is Han and Leia's kid. None.

Rebel95
I could definitely see her being Luke's daughter. I just don't know who the mother would be...

AuraAngel
Originally posted by Rebel95
I could definitely see her being Luke's daughter. I just don't know who the mother would be...

My bet on Rey's mom.

JediRobin23
Originally posted by Rebel95

Are you joking??

After 30 years, and any Jedi academy taught by Luke that failed.....

JediRobin23
????

Lord Lucien
??????? We're all very confused?

???

queeq
Originally posted by ares834
Luke.

Kylo was the one who stranded her on Jakku after he was unable to kill her during his attack on the Jedi. It works damn near perfectly.

"What girl?!"

I am not so sure. We hear a bit of a distorted voice. Sounds like Kylo, but could even be Snoke.

My problem with that theory is the age. Looks like the moment Rey's parents are taken away took place some 10-12 years ago. How old was Kylo at the time?? He must have been a kid himself... That doesn't strike me as very credible.

I think Snoke had something to do with this. And I agree with Ush: Rey's family background could go any way. And personally I hope she is not related.

The argument that the new trilogy is about the Skywalker family is still true when Rey is not a Skywalker. Simply because there is Kylo Ren/Ben Solo...

Ushgarak
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
No, we're in a galaxy with A, as in singular, Chosen One. And yes, there must be a bloodline because that's the entire focus of the saga. Anakin Skywalker and his family. erm

Except, Kathleen Kennedy has already said that the episodic movies are about the Skywalker family. The Force Awakening was obviously referring to it awakening in Rey, with the saber before and her defeating Ren at the very end. There's really no question at this point.
“The saga films focus on the Skywalker family. The stories follow a linear narrative that connects to the previous six films. The Force Awakens follows Return of the Jedi and continues that generational story. The Anthology films offer opportunities to explore fresh characters, new storylines, and a variety of genres inside the Star Wars universe.”

Your first thing is an assumption- the screenwriters can change that as much as they like. 'Chosen One' is just a name- the point is that someone can just be born to something, spontaneously. And JJ Abrams has said in interview that he doesn't like the idea of it having to be a bloodline, and with Kylo already doing the family approach, that leaves many options open for Rey's nature. I am afraid you can't close them off by relying on what you post there.

ares834
I am not so sure. We hear a bit of a distorted voice. Sounds like Kylo, but could even be Snoke.

My problem with that theory is the age. Looks like the moment Rey's parents are taken away took place some 10-12 years ago. How old was Kylo at the time?? He must have been a kid himself... That doesn't strike me as very credible.

I think Snoke had something to do with this. And I agree with Ush: Rey's family background could go any way. And personally I hope she is not related.

The argument that the new trilogy is about the Skywalker family is still true when Rey is not a Skywalker. Simply because there is Kylo Ren/Ben Solo...

Kylo is about 30 according to Pablo Hidalgo. So he was presumably around 20 during the attack.

Bashar Teg
whatever the case, i'm pretty sure that her parantage will be significant to the story and her character arc. too many references to just drop it and forget it.

Darth Thor
Yeah I don't know why people are talking in absolutes - "She MUST be Luke's Daughter". I admit that's my assumption as well, but if that was 100% the case and we weren't supposed to keep guessing, then they would have just confirmed that in this film.

FreshestSlice
Your first thing is an assumption- the screenwriters can change that as much as they like. 'Chosen One' is just a name- the point is that someone can just be born to something, spontaneously. And JJ Abrams has said in interview that he doesn't like the idea of it having to be a bloodline,
They aren't going to just change anything they want regardless of how they feel. That's why the story group exists. Not to mention, JJ isn't even writing the story anymore, so his opinion means nothing. Finally, regardless of JJ's opinion, he does whatever LucasFilms lets him do, not the other way around.

Yeah, the story isn't about Kylo. No matter how much anyone wants to pretend that Kylo being Leia's son makes this a Skywalker story, it doesn't. Just like Luke being in Dark Forces didn't make that a Skywalker story. This is trilogy, from what we've seen, is obviously about Rey, and has been since day 1. That in conjecture with what we've seen so far, and making her just Rey Random, would be the most stupid thing I've seen in Star Wars since Jar Jar. The point isn't that they aren't possible; it's that they aren't logical.

Bashar Teg
fairly certain that your implication that JJ had no say in the story is just completely false.

FreshestSlice
It's good thing I never had that implication then. He's the producer. Not the writer. That is what I said.

Ushgarak
Well you're wrong about JJ's opinion in that case because JJ, Arndt and Kasdan between them have already set out the structure of the storyline- the others are not writing in a void. The answers are already there, already written. They've already set who Rey is. That ship has already sailed.

As to your comment about them not changing things like that- first, yes they can and might and second, your idea about Ren being there not making it a Skywalker continuation is, again, just an opinion, and not one I agree with. I think TFA is very clear in making it at least as much about Ren as Rey. He's getting a LOT of plot/character development. Your comparison with Dark Forces doesn't hold up to any amount of examination.

And again, her not being a Skywalker does NOT make her random- that's a false binary you are putting in there. There are a lot of options.

Don't confuse you not liking it with it not being logical.

Bentley
She's the daughter of a yet-to-be-revealed disciple of Obi Wan who refused to become a full jedi because he fell in love, but he couldn't have kids. She then became a miracle kid when the mother was very old.

Luke found out about this disciple through Ob1's ghost and thought he'd do a great second to found a new Jedi Order.

Bashar Teg
or it could be luke's daughter, and that's the big revelation: that he deliberately broke the old jedi code.

Ushgarak
Got to say, the Code is looking increasingly sensible at this point...

Bashar Teg
except that luke is walking proof that the code is not absolutely necessary. kylo's fall could just be proof that luke was a poor instructor.

Ushgarak
The Code is about the risks, not the certainties. It's not 'it always goes wrong', it's 'the risk of things going totally wrong and people being hurt is too great'.

That's exactly what has happened. Even Luke was only putting right something that a Code break made go totally wrong. I have a vague theory that the Skywalker line is effectively cursed, and that's why Luke has withdrawn.

Bashar Teg
i dont know about an actual curse, but i can certainly see an embittered luke suggesting that, in a moment of despair.

Ushgarak
The thing with Luke is that they say he's gone because he feels responsible- but that seems incomplete; that's a poor reason to abandon the Republic to planet-killing weapons again, and also if that's the reason, why look for him? What's changed? What can Leia say to him now that she didn't before?

But Luke has left clues to be found- this feels like a 'I have to withdraw until the right time' kind of deal. Waiting for the right moment (or person) fits that; Luke things (possibly correctly) that any attempt he makes to restore the Jedi will fail. This could tie in to the whole 'Force Awakens' thing. It also means Rey can be meaningful without necessarily being his daughter.

Or she is. There are just possibilities.

Bashar Teg
agreed that it doesn't make a lot of sense for luke to abandon the republic, since he essentially left it to fall prey to the dark side agents which he had direct knowledge of. it would have made sense if snoke managed to blind him as palps did with the old jedi, but of course that's thoroughly not the case. i hope there is more to luke's decision than just "ah **** it all".

and yes, it could be that in his advanced force abilities, he was clairvoyant enough to forsee rey's destiny and left her a trail of breadcrumbs to the ancient jedi temple via R2 and his lightsaber. no bloodline required, there.

queeq
Well, my bet is that she is not related. And I think it is by far the best the best option. It doesn't tie the character down, there's a certain freedom. If only to "correct" the awkward family relationship between Luke and Leia.

I might just consider, if done well, that there is a redemption of Kylo and Rey and Kylo get hitched... but even that, for me, is taking it a tad far. But again, if done well, I might buy it.

All those weird "need-to-have" connections (like R2 being Luke's mom's droid, 3PO being the droid Luke's dad made, Luke and Leia being siblings) that is George Lucas. I seem to clearly see TFA is departing from those kinds of coincidental/convenient/awkward relationships.

ozz81
http://www.bustle.com/articles/130804-proof-luke-is-reys-father-in-star-wars-the-force-awakens-you-may-have-missed

This is an interesting read..

C-3POTheClever
They seem to be hinting thart Luke is her father. I hope Luke is her father because so far... Star Wars has been about the Skywalkers. Anakin... Then Luke... Only makes sense that the third main character would be Luke's daughter.

queeq
And it still is if Rey is not related. There is after all Kylo Ren/Ben Solo. So the Skywalker saga does continue, we don't need Rey for that.

Watched the movie again, and it is very clear neither Kylo nor Snoke were there when Rey was left behind on Jakku. It's Unkar Plutt we hear and you can clearly see his puffy, reddish hand. So for some reason Rey's left behind in the hands of this not-really-to-be-trusted junk dealer. Why, we have no idea. But if Luke did that, then it's kinda mean.

Nope, I seriously doubt Rey's a Skywalker. It is her the Force awakens in.

samhain
I'd like it if Brienne of Tarth is her sister and that's who's being taken away from her in the flashback. As far as parentage goes though, I personally would prefer it if Rey wasn't a Skywalker, it'd give the character more freedom imo.

Beniboybling
Very likely Luke's daughter I feel, among the many other points (her significance to Ren, the visions, disappearing parents, waking R2, and of course the trailer) the fact that the Skywalker lightsaber springs into her hand instead of Ren's is very telling.

Rey isn't more powerful than Ren at this point, so its obvious that the lightsaber is in someway attuned to her. The Star Wars Databank says:

At the heart of every Jedi lightsaber is a kyber crystal found on several planets, most notably the icebound caves of Ilum. This crystal is attuned to the Force, and connected to a Jedi Knight on a deeply personal level.

Ergo. only someone connected to the weapon on a "deeply personal level" is going to be attuned to it. Naturally being a Skywalker would afford that, and being a "random" wouldn't. The lightsaber has responded to her twice over now whereas it doesn't respond to Ben, a Skywalker himself, who should have - as he says - a greater claim to it than her. Unless of course her blood ties run even deeper, i.e. she is Luke's daughter.

queeq
Well, I doubt we get the crystal theory anywhere explained in the SW movies. And since SW is a simple story I think it will be something like the Force using the sabre to bring Rey to Luke to be trained. No more than that.

Darth Thor
I'm thinking now that she's directly related to the Skywalkers but not in the conventional way. I.e. She's a clone of Luke or Anakin Skywalker.

Obviously then her parents that she was waiting for would just be the people who raised her and kept her secret.

I mean she seems to have an idea of what her parents look like. And she's heard of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, but didn't for a second think she's related to either of them. But then she obviously had some connection with Anakin/Luke's Saber. Plus she's clearly very very strong in the force.

So yeah I'm going with the Clone theory.

Beniboybling
Well, I doubt we get the crystal theory anywhere explained in the SW movies. And since SW is a simple story I think it will be something like the Force using the sabre to bring Rey to Luke to be trained. No more than that. It's pretty simple, the lightsaber that belonged to Luke Skywalker is now calling out to his daughter, because of a family connection.

The possibility of the Force acting through the lightsaber because she is some kind of Chosen One? Possible but pretty contrived, it's not as if the lightsaber actually had anything to do with her finding Luke, and she could have discovered the Force in another way.Originally posted by Darth Thor
I'm thinking now that she's directly related to the Skywalkers but not in the conventional way. I.e. She's a clone of Luke or Anakin Skywalker.

Obviously then her parents that she was waiting for would just be the people who raised her and kept her secret.

I mean she seems to have an idea of what her parents look like. And she's heard of Luke Skywalker and Han Solo, but didn't for a second think she's related to either of them. But then she obviously had some connection with Anakin/Luke's Saber. Plus she's clearly very very strong in the force.

So yeah I'm going with the Clone theory. Not sure if serious...

Zenwolf
I'd rather the Chosen One be laid to rest with Anakin as it's already kinda done it's job.

Galan007
The thing with Luke is that they say he's gone because he feels responsible- but that seems incomplete; that's a poor reason to abandon the Republic to planet-killing weapons again, and also if that's the reason, why look for him? What's changed? What can Leia say to him now that she didn't before?

But Luke has left clues to be found- this feels like a 'I have to withdraw until the right time' kind of deal. Waiting for the right moment (or person) fits that; Luke things (possibly correctly) that any attempt he makes to restore the Jedi will fail. This could tie in to the whole 'Force Awakens' thing. It also means Rey can be meaningful without necessarily being his daughter.

Or she is. There are just possibilities. It didn't seem to me like Luke's intent was to permanently stay hidden, but rather, to withdraw until he could find the answers he was looking for(ergo venturing to the eldest Jedi Temple.) Though it is entirely possible that he already received said answers, and subsequently opted to stay hidden as a result..? Dunno. Either way, he definitely left a means to be found. That is undoubtedly an important point to note.

My question, though:
Why would they just send Rey to contact him? If she is supposedly a brand new character with unknown lineage, why do they think Luke would respond well to her? That alone alludes to her having some sort of preexisting story with Luke, imo.

And did anyone else notice that the landscape Kylo saw when he probed Rey's mind was very similar to the planet Luke was found on(ie. a large body of water with a single island)..?

ares834

redpill
i was thinking she has the gift of psychometry when she touched luke's lightsaber so...

she's kiffar, specifically quinlan vos seed

|King Joker|
LMFAO

Bashar Teg
cool topic bro thumb up

http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f38/t621022.html

redpill
if ep VIII proves me right you read it here first.

Rey seems to have psychometry

NewLanceWindu
laughing Looks nothing like the offspring of Quinlan would look.

queeq
Originally posted by Beniboybling
It's pretty simple, the lightsaber that belonged to Luke Skywalker is now calling out to his daughter, because of a family connection.

Just for discussion sake... if Rey turns out NOT to be related to the Skywalkers, how would you explain this?

In other words: apart from the sabre there is no reason at all to suggest a connection. And we've never seen such a sabre connection in the saga... so the argument is thin at least.

redpill
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
laughing Looks nothing like the offspring of Quinlan would look. quin has dark hair. brown eyes. genetics.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by redpill
quin has dark hair. brown eyes. genetics.
then please explain:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/1b/Princess_Leia's_characteristic_hairstyle.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/JoAzn42m.jpg

redpill
Quinlan had a daughter this daughter then had a 1 night stand with Luke who then gave birth to Rey.

hence psychometry

Galan007
Quinlan Vos was stated to be Kenobi's age, which means he was born in 57BBY.
Order 666 commenced in 19BBY. -Quin=38y/o
ANH takes place 19 years after RotS. -Quin=57y/o
RotJ is set 4 years after ANH. -Quin=61y/o
Rey was born roughly 11 years after the battle of Endor. -Quin=72y/o

For your theory to work it would mean Quin was ~70 years old when he sired Rey... I suppose it's not entirely out of the question, but it is certainly a long shot. Imo.

redpill
Originally posted by Galan007
Quinlan Vos was stated to be Kenobi's age, which means he was born in 57BBY.
Order 666 commenced in 19BBY. -Quin=38y/o
ANH takes place 19 years after RotS. -Quin=57y/o
RotJ is set 4 years after ANH. -Quin=61y/o
Rey was born roughly 11 years after the battle of Endor. -Quin=72y/o

For your theory to work it means a 70 year old man would have sired Rey... I suppose it's not entirely out of the question, but it is certainly a long shot. Imo.

just take some vitamins and sunshine laughing

JediRobin23
K, can someone please explain why luke skywalker would have a kid?

He's a Jedi, who should know the teachings of yoda on attachments being forbidden, leading to the darkside, etc. I heard Luke being married in the eu with Mara jade or whatever. But, even in the past with the eu, that didn't seem right. Should it seem right now, that Luke can have offspring?

If Rey is his daughter, then he would be an exempt case for Jedi....

Galan007
Yes, attachment is forbidden per the Jedi Code, but that didn't stop other prominent Jedi(namely Anakin and Quinlan) from falling in love nonetheless. Heck, you could even argue that Kenobi, one of the most incorruptible characters in the mythos, formed a strong/love-esque attachment to Satine... But I digress.

The point is that Luke certainly isn't infallible. He received a few sentences of 'ethics training' from Kenobi and Yoda, but had to piece everything else together himself. If he fell in love with a woman and sired a child(ie. Rey) I don't see how he'd be any less of a respectable Jedi..? Heck, maybe Kylo slaughtered Luke's lover/wife, which, coupled with the destruction of his New Jedi Order, is what really put him on a sharp downward spiral into self-imposed exile..?

mmm

EmperorSidious2
Luke and some woman

queeq
Just like Snoke isn't PLageuis, Rey is very doubtful to be Luke's daughter. Simply from the makers' point of view: they want as little PT dodginess as possible. So they avoid all the PT weirdness, which kinda started in ROTJ with the Luke-Leia connection.

I know Kasdan was not into the sibling thing all of a sudden, because that was never the plan. So I seriously doubt they'll bring in another comvenient family relation into this.

Despite everything you think you see in TFA, there's also what the makers are trying to do. And a big part is to avoid everything that smells of the PT.

Bashar Teg
we dont know that kasdan didnt like the idea. he wrote under the assumption that there would be 2 trilogies dealing with that particular story arc instead of 1.

Beniboybling
Just for discussion sake... if Rey turns out NOT to be related to the Skywalkers, how would you explain this?

In other words: apart from the sabre there is no reason at all to suggest a connection. And we've never seen such a sabre connection in the saga... so the argument is thin at least. There are tonne of connections between Luke & Rey beyond the saber brah, and we've never seen saber connections in the saga full stop. It's new territory, and I'm speculating on possible mechanics. Clearly some kind of connection exists however.

As for your question, "cause space magic" is the best I can come up with. And I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they went down that route.

EDIT: One thing however that doesn't make sense full stop is, if Rey had visions when she touched the lightsaber, why didn't Luke?

samhain
I think the universe has enough scope to warrant Rey not being Luke's daughter, it would just reek of GL too much. BB-8 was made using spare bits of C-3PO after he was dismantled on Bespin in ESB though! Promise ya!!!

queeq
we dont know that kasdan didnt like the idea.

We do. Just read The Making of Return of the Jedi...

There are tonne of connections between Luke & Rey beyond the saber brah, and we've never seen saber connections in the saga full stop. It's new territory, and I'm speculating on possible mechanics. Clearly some kind of connection exists however.

As for your question, "cause space magic" is the best I can come up with. And I guess I wouldn't be surprised if they went down that route.

EDIT: One thing however that doesn't make sense full stop is, if Rey had visions when she touched the lightsaber, why didn't Luke?

Well, what are the connections that have no other explanations? There only IS the sabre. And indeed: we have no precedence of a Force connection through the sabre (and don't mention EU here). To me, that's the only one.

Here are two other points why we should not conclude so hastily that Rey is a Skywalker.

1. We know from the PT there are many Force sensitive people in the universe. Including very powerful ones: Mace, Yoda, OB1, Anakin... So to be Force sensitive you don't HAVE to be a Skywalker.

2. Rey's force sensitivity isn't explained by possibly being a Skywalker. Leia is that attuned, neither is Ren.

At this point there is NO hard evidence to claim that Rey is a Skywalker. There is canon precedence that people can be Force sensitive without being a Skywalker and can be guided by the Force. The only thing I see now is that Rey is Force sensitive and for some reason the Force is using Luke's old sabre to bring her to him to be trained. Just like the Force guided QGJ through a blockade to Tatooine and Anakin.

Galan007
While I am currently of the opinion that Rey is Luke's daughter, I would also not be surprised if the next film throws a twist in the mix, and gives Rey some sort of left-field origin. /shrug

Beniboybling
Oh sure other indications leave room for other possibilities, but its a culmative argument. Anyway concerning the lightsaber connection, we do have a precedent, see the quote from the Star Wars databank (Canon) and the Younglings arc from TCW (Canon) - its conceptual but still established within the new Canon.

Granted TFA could establish a new precedent of the Force working through objects (rather than just events) but I can't help but find it overly contrived. It makes the Force too much of a Mcguffin and risks overdoing the Chosen One shtick.

Anyway at the very least I think she must be one of (or related to) one of Luke's old students, if not Luke himself given other clues.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by JediRobin23
K, can someone please explain why luke skywalker would have a kid?

He's a Jedi, who should know the teachings of yoda on attachments being forbidden, leading to the darkside, etc.

Well Luke's the GM of his own Jedi Order now (before Kylo Ren destroyed it), so he can change the code as appropriate. After all the old Order was flawed, which lead to it's downfall.

queeq
Oh sure other indications leave room for other possibilities, but its a culmative argument. Anyway concerning the lightsaber connection, we do have a precedent, see the quote from the Star Wars databank (Canon) and the Younglings arc from TCW (Canon) - its conceptual but still established within the new Canon.

Granted TFA could establish a new precedent of the Force working through objects (rather than just events) but I can't help but find it overly contrived. It makes the Force too much of a Mcguffin and risks overdoing the Chosen One shtick.

Anyway at the very least I think she must be one of (or related to) one of Luke's old students, if not Luke himself given other clues.

All I hear is circumstantial evidence. It doesn't mean ANYTHING.

All we see is that Rey as a little girl gets left behind and given to Unbar Plutt... and that she is Force sensitive. That's it.

Darth Thor
If it is just as simple as the obvious notion that Luke is Rey's Father then they really should have just confirmed that in TFA tbh.

But the fact that they want us to keep speculating makes me inclined to believe they have a little twist planned to her Origin.

Beniboybling
All I hear is circumstantial evidence. It doesn't mean ANYTHING.

All we see is that Rey as a little girl gets left behind and given to Unbar Plutt... and that she is Force sensitive. That's it. Right, what about the fact that Kylo Ren knows who she is, the fact that her touching the Luke's saber causes visions of her past & Knights of Ren, the fact she dreams about the island Skywalker is found on and finally the fact that Skywalker recognises her when she finally finds him?

She is clearly not some random little girl lol.

And of course my evidence is circumstantial, we are all speculating here.

queeq
Right, what about the fact that Kylo Ren knows who she is, the fact that her touching the Luke's saber causes visions of her past & Knights of Ren, the fact she dreams about the island Skywalker is found on and finally the fact that Skywalker recognises her when she finally finds him?

She is clearly not some random little girl lol.

And of course my evidence is circumstantial, we are all speculating here.

For one: how do you know Kylo Ren knows who she is? He doesn't say: hello, Rey!

Secondly: she dreams of a lot of things, she hears the voice of Yoda and OB1, who have been long dead before she was born. The visions do not only represent memories, but other things she see through the Force. So the visions of the Knights of Ren do not mean she was there.

Thirdly: I didn't see Luke recognising her. He certainly recognised his old sabre, but not necessarily her.

And again: Abrams and Kasdan are painstakingly avoiding anything that smells of the PT or the dodginess of Lucas in ROTJ. That is very clear form how they made the movie. I would not be surprised if they avoided the convenient family relation.

Rey might just as well be the child of one of Luke's students, who hid her from Snoke's and Ren's wrath. Since TFA is copying so much from the OT, this might be a very plausible reason of a) her force sensitivity and b) that she was at least initiated in the Jedi arts.

My plight is this: there is no reasons whatsoever to think that Rey's origin lies "MOST LIKELY" in the fact that she is Luke's kid. I have more reasons, less circumstantial, to believe she is not. She might be, but I doubt it. And I hope not.

Galan007
Secondly: she dreams of a lot of things, she hears the voice of Yoda and OB1, who have been long dead before she was born. Really!? Damn, I didn't catch that. sad

Thirdly: I didn't see Luke recognising her. He certainly recognised his old sabre, but not necessarily her. Well, the fact that they *only* sent Rey to locate/contact Luke implies that she has some sort of connection to him, imo. After all, anyone could have went to said planet and delivered his old lightsaber... But the fact that it was specifically Rey makes me think she was chosen because they knew Luke would respond better to her than he would with anyone else(Leia included.) /shrug

Beniboybling

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Galan007
Really!? Damn, I didn't catch that. sad

Don't think anybody caught that. The voices are too low in volume. Abrams announced it right after OW. (Nice way to make me go watch it again).

queeq
Well, you have to see these movies a few times. Although I did catch Yoda immediately.

ozz81
http://youtu.be/_0072KzV6aU

Pretty good take on it ..

queeq
OMG, Luke creating Rey would be so terrible....

I can't believe that people forget that Force sensitive people just get born without relation to the Skywalkers. The PT is filled with them.

Did anyone notice that that shot of Maz handing over the lightsaber was not in the movie?

Beniboybling
OMG, Luke creating Rey would be so terrible....Did somebody say midichlorians?Yeah but the lead has always been a Skywalker, as Kathleen says, it's a Skywalker story. thumb upOriginally Maz was supposed to go to the Rebel base and deliver the lightsaber to Leia, but that was cut from the movie.

Darth Thor
Damn I completely forgot about that handing over the Saber scene.

queeq
Did somebody say midichlorians?Yeah but the lead has always been a Skywalker, as Kathleen says, it's a Skywalker story.

Well, we have no idea what the Kylo plot will be. If Kylo has a conversion where goes after Snoke, then it IS a Skywalker story.

And even when he STAYS evil, it is still a Skywalker story, just in a flipped way. Clearly Kylo has more to go on as a character than Vader had in ANH.

Darth Thor
Yeah but the lead has always been a Skywalker, as Kathleen says, it's a Skywalker story.

Yeah pretty unlikely she's not related to Anakin Skywalker tbh

Q99
Yeah but the lead has always been a Skywalker, as Kathleen says, it's a Skywalker story.

Which doesn't mean the lead's always going to be a Skywalker.

Being Luke's student could be her connection to the lineage.

Beniboybling
Well, we have no idea what the Kylo plot will be. If Kylo has a conversion where goes after Snoke, then it IS a Skywalker story.

And even when he STAYS evil, it is still a Skywalker story, just in a flipped way. Clearly Kylo has more to go on as a character than Vader had in ANH. Meh, Ben is a Solo. wink

And if he stays evil, he's a Ren. thumb upOriginally posted by Q99
Which doesn't mean the lead's always going to be a Skywalker.

Being Luke's student could be her connection to the lineage. So the story of Ahsoka Tano is a Skywalker story?

Nah.

queeq
laughing out loud

Darth Thor
Well the other side to the coin is that in the Prequels the Only Skywalker was Anakin (not including the twins being born right at the end).

So with this trilogy we still have Luke, Leia and Kylo all being Skywalkers, so Rey doesn't have to also be a Skywalker for the overall story to be about the Skywalkers.

That being said her potential is just too insane not to be a Skywalker Imo.

Beniboybling
Mmm, I guess. But for me being a Skywalker and having a "Skywalker story" is more than about bloodline. It's about the Hero's Journey i.e. discovering you're not just some nobody from desert planet X, and becoming a hero/Jedi who must confront and overcome evil.

I don't really see Leia as a Skywalker for those reasons, because that's Luke's department, she's just related. And indeed she's never referred to as Leia Skywalker. So Kylo being a Skywalker is already a bit muddied, and while Darth Vader is his grandfather, its Vader's not Anakin's legacy he is attempting to follow, nor does he have that Hero's Journey arc, he was born into privilege, and now he's the antagonist.

Rey's story on the other hand is textbook Hero's Journey, and has been closely linked to the Skywalker theme.

But yeah her potential is telling, strong suggestion being it's even greater than Kylo's. Maybe she's a Tano. http://r35.imgfast.net/users/3513/11/32/39/smiles/1341734200.gif

Darth Thor

Rey's story on the other hand is textbook Hero's Journey, and has been closely linked to the Skywalker theme.

Yeah that's true.

Beniboybling
Damn, Rey's story is really textbook Hero's Journey:

Call to Adventure: Obviously BB-8, secret plans etc.

"Supernatural" Aid/Mentor: Han & the Millennium Falcon

then it throws in a Refusal of the Call: Boohoo run away into the forest

Crossing the First Threshold: Using her powers for the 1st time, Kylo being something of a Threshold Guardian.

Belly of the Whale: Starkiller Base

Not that it necessarily means much, just fun to connect the dots.

That said the above makes up the "First Act", the "Second Act" including the Road of Trials and... Atonement with the Father. wink

queeq
Well, duh... yeah. So is ANH. So is Billy Elliot. A lot of movies are textbook Hero's Journey.

Hero's Journey is not SW property, you know. It belongs to mankind, because we've been telling stories like this for millennia.

Beniboybling
Sure, Star Wars tends to follow it quite religiously/ literally though, a lot easier to spot, and an interesting way to predict future story.

It's also a lot more distinct here that in the PT...

Beniboybling
On another note, Rey doesn't has a surname as it stands. If she turns out not to be Skywalker do you think they will invent one for her?

ares834

queeq
What? Yoda was the first I heard. Luke's scream. OB1's lines. But maybe all that is so engraved in my brain that it locked right into those familiar words and sounds.

Darth Thor
Don't think it will be Luke's daughter now:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-director-of-star-wars-episode-ix-is-already-droppin-1752590073

Because that just wouldn't be "satisfying" at all, and would instead just be so stupidly obvious that they should have just outright confirmed it in Ep.7, instead of making a "mystery" out of it.

Also given it's Colin Trevorrow saying this, could it be that we don't find out/get confirmation until Episode 9? Damn!

And doesn't sound like he's shying away from the Prequels. Sounds like there could be Prequel connections with the Sequels.

Beniboybling
That's your opinion, I'd be satisfied. http://r35.imgfast.net/users/3513/11/32/39/smiles/1790400411.gif

queeq
Yeah, it's not that clear. But it does look like they want to move beyond the Skywalker family. And in a way, that is honoring Lucas. he said after EPIII that the Skywalker story was done.

And even though Trevorrow isn't THAT specific, I do believe Rey is not a Skywalker. I woud certainly hope so.

ozz81
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ben-ostrower/rey-is-obi-wan-kenobis-granddaughter_b_8911656.html?ir=Australia

Darth Thor
I think maybe the obvious is true (she's Luke's daughter) but the revelation of her Mother will be more interesting.

Beniboybling
Luke & Rey's theme are overlapped at the end credits to TFA, pretty cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bJpmMwrabo

queeq
But that's just saying: Rey's the new Luke. Not that they are related.

And Rey being OB1's grand daughter... that doesn't make any sense and would contradict the entire Jedi way of life from the canon.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.