House Passes Repeal of Obama Care

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
This bill got around the usual bs.

Now Obama will veto and they will get 2/3 vote on it to override his veto.

His legacy is falling apart.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/congress-send-obamacare-repeal-president-n491316

Star428
Getting a 2/3 vote is not usually an easy thing to do. What makes you so sure that they will be able to override his veto, TI? I hope you're right, of course but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Time-Immemorial
Ryan seems confident in it.

Also there was no philibuster.

Star428
I really like Ryan. He seems like such a step up from Boehner.

Time-Immemorial
His retort against Trump pissed me off, speaking out about banning Muslims but not about the attacks or condemning them..

However I think he realizes if he doesn't get on board and actually pass conservative bills, him and his party that is falling apart btw are doomed more they already are with the true conservatives and movement in America.

Trump is doing well for two reasons, Obama's failures and theirs.

Star428
Whoa... I didn't realize he attacked Trump. Bad move, Ryan. Seems some people never learn from other people's mistakes.

Time-Immemorial
Yea I called him a traitor when he did it. He also did with a Taliban beard on his face.

Pissed me off even more.

I like the fact he has to work to keep his job nowthumb up

Flyattractor
Can't we just wait for the next President to just declare him/her self Prez For Life and disband the congress and senate. Then they can unveil their new battle station.

Lucius
I appreciate how Republicans want to take my healthcare away. I'm actually on WA's Obamacare exchange, and it's pretty decent.

Surtur
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Can't we just wait for the next President to just declare him/her self Prez For Life and disband the congress and senate. Then they can unveil their new battle station.

I think it would be the other way around actually. The real power lies in congress and the senate.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Lucius
I appreciate how Republicans want to take my healthcare away. I'm actually on WA's Obamacare exchange, and it's pretty decent.

I did some more research, Ryan says they don't have the votes for 2/3.

You are safethumb up

I think they just want to keep their jobs.

Tattoos N Scars
I hope it is repealed. Osamacare has already caused my company policy to increase by 100 dollars a month and I've had more difficulty getting my insurance to approve prescriptions since Obamacare took effect.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Surtur
I think it would be the other way around actually. The real power lies in congress and the senate.

Ya wouldn't know it by looking.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Surtur

The power should be relatively evenly split between the judicial, legislative and executive branch. However in the US the legislative branch, by choice, doesn't do its work very efficiently as the two parties (particularly because of the Republicans) are unwilling to work together and compromise.

Q99
I will remind people that about 30 million Americans are now insured thanks to this policy, it came in under budget, and it's run by the private sector, and it's based on successful Republican-supported policies like Romneycare. Also, twice Obama ran on doing it, and both times the majority voted him over the people who said they don't want it.

It's become a bugaboo, but I still think it's silly that it did so.

Right you are Star.

2/3rds requires a bi-partisan support, and does anyone think the Democrats are on board?

What kind of deal would be required to get a quantity of democrats on side for this?

This is another 'for show' attempt at repealing it, really. They don't expect this to get through, they're doing it as protest.

Time-Immemorial
Obama just said yesterday 17 million people had it, not 30.

Q99
The way to tell if something like this is expected to actually happen or not:

Do you see an alternate proposal on what to replace it with if it's repealed?

If there is, then that shows they're doing groundwork on what happens next, they have a plan, they expect it to happen.

If they don't, then even they don't expect it to actually happen.

Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Obama just said yesterday 17 million people had it, not 30.

Ah, 17 million so far I guess. Long-term is expected to be 30 mil, the numbers of uninsured are still dropping, after all. I know Republican governors are pushing to implement the medicare expansion parts of the plan in their states, and that's going to get a lot more.

Still, 17 million? That is really good, that is a lot of people directly helped.

If the repeal happens and the Republicans don't have an alternative, then that'll be 17 million left in the cold.

Time-Immemorial
Have you seen how many people have lost their current insurance in the process?

dadudemon

dadudemon
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Have you seen how many people have lost their current insurance in the process?

Yes, 2.9 million, to be exact. That's much much less than the number of people who gained insurance, however. That may be Q99's point.

Both of you are correct, imo. The 2.9 million people who lost their insurance lost it despite the fact that Obama promised a shit ton of times that they would not lose their current insurance. no expression That's probably your point.

Same thing with their doctor: millions lost their doctor under Obamacare. no expression

Let's not be fooled by Obamacare: it has caused a shitty mess for millions of Americans. It has also helped millions of Americans. The true costs of the ACA are not quite known but one number shows us that ACA has increased healtcare costs for the US, NOT decreased it as promised. So that should end the debate, right? ACA is a failure because it is costing Americans more, right?

Nope.

We need to scrap Obamacare and replace it with something better. smile

Bardock42
I think the question is whether Obamacare slowed the increase of health care cost, because health care costs have risen steadily beforehand.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think the question is whether Obamacare slowed the increase of health care cost, because health care costs have risen steadily beforehand.

I provided a source for that, already, which shows Obamacare increased healthcare costs at a higher rate than it was before Obamacare.

"Health care spending is on the rise, thanks in part because more people have coverage under Obamacare.

Spending is projected to have increased by 5.5% last year, the first time the rate would exceed 5% since 2007, according to new federal data. The growth rate is expected to inch up to 5.8% annually between 2014 and 2024, in part because of increased enrollment through the exchanges and Medicaid. It's also because of the rebounding economy and the aging of the population."

And here is a follow up article that talks about the rising costs of healthcare due to Obamacare:

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/28/news/economy/health-care-spending/index.html?iid=EL

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.