KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » House Passes Repeal of Obama Care

House Passes Repeal of Obama Care
Started by: Time-Immemorial

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

House Passes Repeal of Obama Care

This bill got around the usual bs.

Now Obama will veto and they will get 2/3 vote on it to override his veto.

His legacy is falling apart.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...esident-n491316

In order for any life to matter, we all have to matter

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:07 PM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Getting a 2/3 vote is not usually an easy thing to do. What makes you so sure that they will be able to override his veto, TI? I hope you're right, of course but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:10 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ryan seems confident in it.

Also there was no philibuster.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:12 PM
Time-Immemorial is currently offline Click here to Send Time-Immemorial a Private Message Find more posts by Time-Immemorial Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

I really like Ryan. He seems like such a step up from Boehner.

Most people believe Evolution not because they themselves are dumb, but cause they trust the "experts" who are feeding them evolutionary fast food, and so they don't bother questioning whether or not it's true.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:14 PM
Star428 is currently offline Click here to Send Star428 a Private Message Find more posts by Star428 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

His retort against Trump pissed me off, speaking out about banning Muslims but not about the attacks or condemning them..

However I think he realizes if he doesn't get on board and actually pass conservative bills, him and his party that is falling apart btw are doomed more they already are with the true conservatives and movement in America.

Trump is doing well for two reasons, Obama's failures and theirs.

Last edited by Time-Immemorial on Jan 6th, 2016 at 11:23 PM

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:19 PM
Star428
Restricted

Account Restricted

Whoa... I didn't realize he attacked Trump. Bad move, Ryan. Seems some people never learn from other people's mistakes.

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:22 PM
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yea I called him a traitor when he did it. He also did with a Taliban beard on his face.

Pissed me off even more.

I like the fact he has to work to keep his job nowthumb up

Old Post Jan 6th, 2016 11:23 PM
Flyattractor

Can't we just wait for the next President to just declare him/her self Prez For Life and disband the congress and senate. Then they can unveil their new battle station.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 12:55 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lucius
Unknown

I appreciate how Republicans want to take my healthcare away. I'm actually on WA's Obamacare exchange, and it's pretty decent.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 01:15 AM
Lucius is currently offline Click here to Send Lucius a Private Message Find more posts by Lucius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Can't we just wait for the next President to just declare him/her self Prez For Life and disband the congress and senate. Then they can unveil their new battle station.

I think it would be the other way around actually. The real power lies in congress and the senate.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 01:17 AM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Lucius
I appreciate how Republicans want to take my healthcare away. I'm actually on WA's Obamacare exchange, and it's pretty decent.

I did some more research, Ryan says they don't have the votes for 2/3.

You are safethumb up

I think they just want to keep their jobs.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 01:19 AM
Tattoos N Scars
Modern Day Drifter

I hope it is repealed. Osamacare has already caused my company policy to increase by 100 dollars a month and I've had more difficulty getting my insurance to approve prescriptions since Obamacare took effect.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 01:45 AM
Tattoos N Scars is currently offline Click here to Send Tattoos N Scars a Private Message Find more posts by Tattoos N Scars Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flyattractor

Originally posted by Surtur
I think it would be the other way around actually. The real power lies in congress and the senate.

Ya wouldn't know it by looking.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 01:46 AM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Originally posted by Surtur

The power should be relatively evenly split between the judicial, legislative and executive branch. However in the US the legislative branch, by choice, doesn't do its work very efficiently as the two parties (particularly because of the Republicans) are unwilling to work together and compromise.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 10:54 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Re: House Passes Repeal of Obama Care

I will remind people that about 30 million Americans are now insured thanks to this policy, it came in under budget, and it's run by the private sector, and it's based on successful Republican-supported policies like Romneycare. Also, twice Obama ran on doing it, and both times the majority voted him over the people who said they don't want it.

It's become a bugaboo, but I still think it's silly that it did so.

quote:
Star428
Getting a 2/3 vote is not usually an easy thing to do. What makes you so sure that they will be able to override his veto, TI? I hope you're right, of course but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

Right you are Star.

2/3rds requires a bi-partisan support, and does anyone think the Democrats are on board?

What kind of deal would be required to get a quantity of democrats on side for this?

This is another 'for show' attempt at repealing it, really. They don't expect this to get through, they're doing it as protest.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 12:26 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Obama just said yesterday 17 million people had it, not 30.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 02:45 PM
Q99

The way to tell if something like this is expected to actually happen or not:

Do you see an alternate proposal on what to replace it with if it's repealed?

If there is, then that shows they're doing groundwork on what happens next, they have a plan, they expect it to happen.

If they don't, then even they don't expect it to actually happen.

Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Obama just said yesterday 17 million people had it, not 30.

Ah, 17 million so far I guess. Long-term is expected to be 30 mil, the numbers of uninsured are still dropping, after all. I know Republican governors are pushing to implement the medicare expansion parts of the plan in their states, and that's going to get a lot more.

Still, 17 million? That is really good, that is a lot of people directly helped.

If the repeal happens and the Republicans don't have an alternative, then that'll be 17 million left in the cold.

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 07:41 PM
Q99 is currently offline Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Time-Immemorial
Restricted

Account Restricted

Have you seen how many people have lost their current insurance in the process?

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 08:11 PM
dadudemon

Re: Re: House Passes Repeal of Obama Care

Originally posted by Q99
I will remind people that about 30 million Americans are now insured thanks to this policy, it came in under budget, and it's run by the private sector, and it's based on successful Republican-supported policies like Romneycare. Also, twice Obama ran on doing it, and both times the majority voted him over the people who said they don't want it.

Not all of those statements are accurate. Here is a rundown of the actual state/costs of ACA:

To go down the list of things you stated:

1. Millions of people lost their health insurance.

"Urban Institute researchers estimate around 2.6 million lost their existing coverage. It's likely, however, that they gained insurance elsewhere."

http://money.cnn.com/2015/08/05/new...bamacare-facts/

Check out the other items on that list, as well (such as it increasing taxes, overall, for the Americans, how it increased healthcare costs, NOT reducing them like it should have, and so forth. Yes, more people have insurance than before, but at what cost? And out of pocket costs are stupid high under ACA plans. I mean...what good does that do unless you have an enormously expensive healthcare bill? Keep in mind that I'm talking about the median ACA policy holder who gets at least a slight subsidy: they can't afford that absurdly high deductible.

2. Obamcare is colossally over budget:

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/01/240...dget-obamacare/

"Here’s the number: $1,993,000,000,000. Here’s how much the U.S. Treasury is expected to take in from ObamaCare taxes, fees and penalties during that same period of time: $645,000,000,000. That’s a deficit of $1.35 Trillion."

3. The costs to repeal Obamacare (ACA) (the CBO said it would cost over 100 billion to repeal Obamacare meaning that Obamacare has a net positive benefit to the budget/costs) is probably Obama Administration/Democratic propaganda. Meaning, it is bullshit.

"Not so fast. The CBO reveals in the fine print that its estimates of the impact of repeal are "substantially" uncertain. Further, the report didn't consider a specific measure to repeal and replace Obamacare. So it's evaluating an imaginary proposal."

"The details of Obamacare's finances are so fuzzy that a year ago the CBO admitted it couldn't calculate the effect of repealing the legislation on the deficit. This year, CBO managed to produce the $137-billion figure but hedged by saying that repealing the law "could reduce deficits . . . or could increase deficits.""

"Indeed, repealing the law would deliver a jolt to the economy. The CBO projects doing so would add 0.7 percent to GDP, or about $886 billion."

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...ngs_127650.html

I like the Empowering Patients First Act that the article talks about. It addresses some of the shit about Obamacare. It looks to be a mostly bipartisan bill, as well (that's my opinion). It seems to capture the heart of what Obamacare was supposed to be and also compromises with the GOP where they wanted (not a universal healthcare option. To me, this would be a true first step towards a Universal Option. The only thing I don't like about EPFA is that it undoes the Pre-existing Conditions ban that Obamacare has: that was a really good move by the Obama administration.

4. The new regulations drive the marketplace offerings. It is not quite accurate to say Obamacare is run by the private sector. That's like saying Watermelon tastes like three...doesn't make much sense. They are linked and connected and dependent upon each other: much more so than most other types of regulations. This is regulation and mandates with the Federal Government having direct involvement with making things happen. It is a shared responsibility. To Obamacare's credit, it HAS increased insurance competition...but not nearly enough. We need cross-state plans to compete. I'd like to get my hands on some Kaiser insurance, personally. smile

5. Yup, Romneycare and Obamacare are similar things. I'd say Romneycare was more successful than Obamacare, however. That's because it literally is:

"RomneyCare has proved cost effective, is creating jobs, reducing insurance costs and providing better quality affordable health care to more people."

"Insurance premium rates decreased dramatically under RomneyCare."

That starkly contrasts with Obamacare.

http://obamacarefacts.com/romneycare-romneyhealthcare/

(Don't be fooled by that name. That website is highly supportive of the ACA and only names their site 'Obamacare facts' to attract conservatards who oppose Obamacare).

6. Just because Obama was elected twice does not mean that the American people elected him solely based on his Obamacare ideas. IIRC, a majority opposed Obamacare in 2012. Obama won the 2012 presidential race because the GOP lost it (I hope that makes sense).

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 08:56 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
dadudemon

Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Have you seen how many people have lost their current insurance in the process?

Yes, 2.9 million, to be exact. That's much much less than the number of people who gained insurance, however. That may be Q99's point.

Both of you are correct, imo. The 2.9 million people who lost their insurance lost it despite the fact that Obama promised a shit ton of times that they would not lose their current insurance. no expression That's probably your point.

Same thing with their doctor: millions lost their doctor under Obamacare. no expression

Let's not be fooled by Obamacare: it has caused a shitty mess for millions of Americans. It has also helped millions of Americans. The true costs of the ACA are not quite known but one number shows us that ACA has increased healtcare costs for the US, NOT decreased it as promised. So that should end the debate, right? ACA is a failure because it is costing Americans more, right?

Nope.

We need to scrap Obamacare and replace it with something better. smile

Old Post Jan 7th, 2016 09:00 PM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote