Honors go out for Hotness

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/06/charlie-theron-brooklyn-d_n_602140.html

I dont see why not. Women have always been celebrated for their looks.
All the winners were good choices, especially Charlize and Scarlett. I fully expect Scarlett to eventually win Charlize's award.

walshy
This shit is five years old

riv6672
So's your attitude (on both counts), but no one's complaining. smile

walshy
Damn it riv

riv6672
thumb up

Flyattractor
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/21600000/Guuuuurl-harry-potter-vs-twilight-21605693-500-281.gif

riv6672
^^^holy crap! laughing

Bardock42
Originally posted by riv6672
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/06/charlie-theron-brooklyn-d_n_602140.html

I dont see why not. Women have always been celebrated for their looks.
All the winners were good choices, especially Charlize and Scarlett. I fully expect Scarlett to eventually win Charlize's award.

The excessive focus on looks that society puts on women is detrimental to their ability to achieve things as they are often dismissed for anything other than their looks. That is (one of) the issue(s) with things like that.

Slay
Originally posted by Bardock42
The excessive focus on looks that society puts on women is detrimental to their ability to achieve things as they are often dismissed for anything other than their looks. That is (one of) the issue(s) with things like that.
Ugh.

riv6672
Cant say i agree.
Its always interesting to hear this opinion though.
A lot of studies have been done on attractiveness, and neither sex is getting short thrift.

Now, who thinks Brooklyn Decker looks like Charlize Theron?

Scribble
is detrimental to their ability to achieve things as they are often dismissed for anything other than their looks Charlize has won an Oscar, though. And she looked like this in the role:

http://cdn3.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/charlize-theron-monster.jpg

I wouldn't class that as being "dismissed for anything other than her looks" (but I do get your general point).

riv6672
If we were cynical, and many of us are, we could say her Oscar came because she played against type and uggoed herself up.
Its a similar complaint to when Denzel got Oscared for best actor after 3 nominations...for playing a criminal. stick out tongue

Bardock42
Originally posted by Scribble
Charlize has won an Oscar, though. And she looked like this in the role:

http://cdn3.whatculture.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/charlize-theron-monster.jpg

I wouldn't class that as being "dismissed for anything other than her looks" (but I do get your general point).

I did say "often", and I'm glad you get my point. Just as a thought though, perhaps you could speak out in support of it next time if you agree, instead of nit-picking, particularly since others will already take that part, I don't think we need a devil's advocate, especially of something that wasn't said...

Cant say i agree.
Its always interesting to hear this opinion though.
A lot of studies have been done on attractiveness, and neither sex is getting short thrift.

Now, who thinks Brooklyn Decker looks like Charlize Theron?

Being attractive within your gender is advantageous over not being attractive, that is true. However the excessive focus on attractiveness in women does limit their options in other endeavours. It's only part of a bigger picture of course.

Slay
You really have become a liberal version of Star. Do you ever switch off?

riv6672
Not looking to change my posting style any time soon.
Been pissing people off, or getting along fine with them, for 15 years as i am. Hopefully you're in the latter group.
And yeah, i totally got your point.

Bardock42
Not looking to change my posting style any time soon.
Been pissing people off, or getting along fine with them, for 15 years as i am. Hopefully you're in the latter group.
And yeah, i totally got your point.
That part was not addressed to you, but rather Scribble (who I quoted), who I have had past conversations with.

I don't have a problem with you (or Scribble for that matter), and disagreement on an issue doesn't mean I can't get along fine with someone.

Originally posted by Slay
You really have become a liberal version of Star. Do you ever switch off?

I don't always talk about sexism in society, but I never "switch off" disliking it.

riv6672
You dont seem to need an off switch; i've never seen you go out of your way to push your views on others, or refuse to listen to someone else's opinion.

Slay

I don't always talk about sexism in society, but I never "switch off" disliking it.
It doesn't seem like you let any opportunity to slap someone on the wrist regarding the subject slip.

Also, kudos for the American politician-style one liner.

Scribble
I did say "often", and I'm glad you get my point. Just as a thought though, perhaps you could speak out in support of it next time if you agree, instead of nit-picking, particularly since others will already take that part, I don't think we need a devil's advocate, especially of something that wasn't said... Right, sorry, you were referring to the way that ('typically') attractive women being idolised can limit other women's choices. I thought you meant that actresses such as Charlize and Scarlett's artistic output is ignored due to them being attractive.

Personally, I think we've made a lot of progress with perceptions of attractiveness and the like, and that less 'perfect' women, i.e. regular people not chosen just because they have a pretty face, are gaining more success and respect than they would have say, ten, fifteen years ago (we still have a long way to come, of course), and I don't think it's a good idea to just stop heralding people for being beautiful and the like in the name of 'progress'. Charlize and Scarlett are beautiful, there's no need to diminish that truth, there are plenty of other ways to cultivate equality. We can highlight how attractiveness is incredibly subjective without getting rid of "Most Attractive" lists. And generally, I do most of my outspoken anti-sexist stuff offline, which is where I think it has the most potential to do good. I'm honestly surprised at the amount of times at uni that I've had to explain to people that gender inequality is a real thing, and that it hasn't just "gone away", as well as how "feminism" isn't a dirty word.

I hope you understand where I am coming from, I am dedicated to fighting sexism as it appears, but I don't think lists such as this (old as it is) are worthy of complaint. They will exist in worlds of both equality and inequality, as will lists of the most attractive male actors, celebrities, etc.

Bardock42

Bardock42
Originally posted by Scribble
Right, sorry, you were referring to the way that ('typically') attractive women being idolised can limit other women's choices. I thought you meant that actresses such as Charlize and Scarlett's artistic output is ignored due to them being attractive.

Personally, I think we've made a lot of progress with perceptions of attractiveness and the like, and that less 'perfect' women, i.e. regular people not chosen just because they have a pretty face, are gaining more success and respect than they would have say, ten, fifteen years ago (we still have a long way to come, of course), and I don't think it's a good idea to just stop heralding people for being beautiful and the like in the name of 'progress'. Charlize and Scarlett are beautiful, there's no need to diminish that truth, there are plenty of other ways to cultivate equality. We can highlight how attractiveness is incredibly subjective without getting rid of "Most Attractive" lists. And generally, I do most of my outspoken anti-sexist stuff offline, which is where I think it has the most potential to do good. I'm honestly surprised at the amount of times at uni that I've had to explain to people that gender inequality is a real thing, and that it hasn't just "gone away", as well as how "feminism" isn't a dirty word.

I hope you understand where I am coming from, I am dedicated to fighting sexism as it appears, but I don't think lists such as this (old as it is) are worthy of complaint. They will exist in worlds of both equality and inequality, as will lists of the most attractive male actors, celebrities, etc.

I think the problem is the overwhelming focus on the beauty of female actors, that's just not in any way similar with make actors. I don't have a problem with the lists in general, but they add to a pile of expectations and judgments of attractiveness that women face.

Though really I only offered up my opinion why I think it is problematic because riv did sort of hint at the controversies around this kind of thing when he said "I don't see why not".

riv6672
One, she deserved that award.
Two, you know she was secretly pleased.

Scribble

Bardock42
One, she deserved that award.
Two, you know she was secretly pleased.

She's very pretty, and it is very likely that someone would be pleased by this kind of thing, but you can still acknowledge the problematic nature.

Since we have stylised beauty to (one of) the highest achievements for a woman, it is only natural that many women do want this recognition.

Bardock42

riv6672
She's very pretty, and it is very likely that someone would be pleased by this kind of thing, but you can still acknowledge the problematic nature.

Since we have stylised beauty to (one of) the highest achievements for a woman, it is only natural that many women do want this recognition.
Good deal.
I appreciate all your input here, BTW.

Scribble

riv6672
I find good conversation can be had from the oddest of subjects.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.