KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » The Off-Topic Forum » Honors go out for Hotness

Honors go out for Hotness
Started by: riv6672

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
riv6672

Honors go out for Hotness

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/...d_n_602140.html

I dont see why not. Women have always been celebrated for their looks.
All the winners were good choices, especially Charlize and Scarlett. I fully expect Scarlett to eventually win Charlize's award.

Old Post Jan 9th, 2016 01:15 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
walshy
Veteran. Wrestler. Hero

This shit is five years old

Old Post Jan 9th, 2016 01:26 PM
walshy is currently offline Click here to Send walshy a Private Message Find more posts by walshy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

So's your attitude (on both counts), but no one's complaining. smile

Old Post Jan 9th, 2016 02:23 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
walshy
Veteran. Wrestler. Hero

Damn it riv

Old Post Jan 9th, 2016 02:26 PM
walshy is currently offline Click here to Send walshy a Private Message Find more posts by walshy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

thumb up

Old Post Jan 9th, 2016 02:34 PM
Flyattractor

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Jan 9th, 2016 04:58 PM
Flyattractor is currently offline Click here to Send Flyattractor a Private Message Find more posts by Flyattractor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

^^^holy crap! laughing

Old Post Jan 9th, 2016 11:00 PM
Bardock42

quote: (post)
Originally posted by riv6672
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/...d_n_602140.html

I dont see why not. Women have always been celebrated for their looks.
All the winners were good choices, especially Charlize and Scarlett. I fully expect Scarlett to eventually win Charlize's award.

The excessive focus on looks that society puts on women is detrimental to their ability to achieve things as they are often dismissed for anything other than their looks. That is (one of) the issue(s) with things like that.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 08:12 AM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

Originally posted by Bardock42
The excessive focus on looks that society puts on women is detrimental to their ability to achieve things as they are often dismissed for anything other than their looks. That is (one of) the issue(s) with things like that.

Ugh.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 10:06 AM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

Cant say i agree.
Its always interesting to hear this opinion though.
A lot of studies have been done on attractiveness, and neither sex is getting short thrift.

Now, who thinks Brooklyn Decker looks like Charlize Theron?

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 11:43 AM
Scribble

is detrimental to their ability to achieve things as they are often dismissed for anything other than their looks
Charlize has won an Oscar, though. And she looked like this in the role:

I wouldn't class that as being "dismissed for anything other than her looks" (but I do get your general point).

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 12:37 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

If we were cynical, and many of us are, we could say her Oscar came because she played against type and uggoed herself up.
Its a similar complaint to when Denzel got Oscared for best actor after 3 nominations...for playing a criminal. stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 12:43 PM
Bardock42

Originally posted by Scribble
Charlize has won an Oscar, though. And she looked like this in the role:

I wouldn't class that as being "dismissed for anything other than her looks" (but I do get your general point).

I did say "often", and I'm glad you get my point. Just as a thought though, perhaps you could speak out in support of it next time if you agree, instead of nit-picking, particularly since others will already take that part, I don't think we need a devil's advocate, especially of something that wasn't said...

Cant say i agree.
Its always interesting to hear this opinion though.
A lot of studies have been done on attractiveness, and neither sex is getting short thrift.

Now, who thinks Brooklyn Decker looks like Charlize Theron?

Being attractive within your gender is advantageous over not being attractive, that is true. However the excessive focus on attractiveness in women does limit their options in other endeavours. It's only part of a bigger picture of course.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 01:06 PM
Bardock42 is currently offline Click here to Send Bardock42 a Private Message Find more posts by Bardock42 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Slay
Skyhighatrist

You really have become a liberal version of Star. Do you ever switch off?

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 02:14 PM
Slay is currently offline Click here to Send Slay a Private Message Find more posts by Slay Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote:
I did say "often", and I'm glad you get my point. Just as a thought though, perhaps you could speak out in support of it next time if you agree, instead of nit-picking, particularly since others will already take that part, I don't think we need a devil's advocate, especially of something that wasn't said...

Not looking to change my posting style any time soon.
Been pissing people off, or getting along fine with them, for 15 years as i am. Hopefully you're in the latter group.
And yeah, i totally got your point.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 02:37 PM
Bardock42

Not looking to change my posting style any time soon.
Been pissing people off, or getting along fine with them, for 15 years as i am. Hopefully you're in the latter group.
And yeah, i totally got your point.

That part was not addressed to you, but rather Scribble (who I quoted), who I have had past conversations with.

I don't have a problem with you (or Scribble for that matter), and disagreement on an issue doesn't mean I can't get along fine with someone.

Originally posted by Slay
You really have become a liberal version of Star. Do you ever switch off?

I don't always talk about sexism in society, but I never "switch off" disliking it.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 02:48 PM
riv6672

You dont seem to need an off switch; i've never seen you go out of your way to push your views on others, or refuse to listen to someone else's opinion.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 02:57 PM
Slay
Skyhighatrist

I don't always talk about sexism in society, but I never "switch off" disliking it.

It doesn't seem like you let any opportunity to slap someone on the wrist regarding the subject slip.

Also, kudos for the American politician-style one liner.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 03:33 PM
Scribble

Right, sorry, you were referring to the way that ('typically') attractive women being idolised can limit other women's choices. I thought you meant that actresses such as Charlize and Scarlett's artistic output is ignored due to them being attractive.

Personally, I think we've made a lot of progress with perceptions of attractiveness and the like, and that less 'perfect' women, i.e. regular people not chosen just because they have a pretty face, are gaining more success and respect than they would have say, ten, fifteen years ago (we still have a long way to come, of course), and I don't think it's a good idea to just stop heralding people for being beautiful and the like in the name of 'progress'. Charlize and Scarlett are beautiful, there's no need to diminish that truth, there are plenty of other ways to cultivate equality. We can highlight how attractiveness is incredibly subjective without getting rid of "Most Attractive" lists. And generally, I do most of my outspoken anti-sexist stuff offline, which is where I think it has the most potential to do good. I'm honestly surprised at the amount of times at uni that I've had to explain to people that gender inequality is a real thing, and that it hasn't just "gone away", as well as how "feminism" isn't a dirty word.

I hope you understand where I am coming from, I am dedicated to fighting sexism as it appears, but I don't think lists such as this (old as it is) are worthy of complaint. They will exist in worlds of both equality and inequality, as will lists of the most attractive male actors, celebrities, etc.

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 10:52 PM
Scribble is currently offline Click here to Send Scribble a Private Message Find more posts by Scribble Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bardock42

Perhaps interesting to see what one of the women on these kinds of lists thinks about it:

"You work hard making independent films for fourteen years and you get voted “best breasts"."
- Scarlett Johansson

Old Post Jan 10th, 2016 10:58 PM