Is it right to give bonus points on the SAT's to certain races?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
You would think that when someone takes a test like the SAT's that the only thing that should determine their score is the number of correct answers they give.

The problem is this is not true, some races actually receive "bonus" points merely because they belong to a specific race.

Hispanics get around 185 bonus points and blacks get 230.

Am I wrong in thinking this is total bullshit? That your race should not be a factor when it comes to your score, and that nobody deserves "bonus" points for no reason.

Oh and even crazier? Asians tend to get docked points. So it's actually possible for your score to be lessened merely because you belong to a certain race.

Shouldn't we just base scores strictly on the amount of correct answers given as opposed to factoring in their race?

Oh and I want to point out this isn't limited to the SAT's. Apparently stuff like this can happen when it comes to determining a persons credit score, etc.

Time-Immemorial
Is this really true?

Surtur
https://theconservativetreehouse.com/2015/02/28/asians-penalized-50-points-on-sat-black-students-given-230-bonus-points/

The article was from last year. So I suppose technically it's possible that in the year since the article came out things have changed.

Now since some people might not trust an article from a site called the "conservative treehouse" here is an article from the LA times:

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-adv-asian-race-tutoring-20150222-story.html#page=1

Some dimwits try to make excuses for this by saying it leads to more diversity in colleges, but that just doesn't fly. Diversity is fine, but you don't deserve extra points because you're black or hispanic. That isn't promoting diversity that is racial discrimination.

Have you ever noticed the same people that get upset over racism..tend to have zero problems with racism when they benefit from it?

It's xyz!
Give black and Hispanics bonus points for being oppressed.

Sheeeit

Surtur
Also remember: we essentially put Japanese people in concentration camps(not nazi style camps, but camps nonetheless) in the 1940's and they actually are getting docked points lol.

It comes off like we are punishing one group of people for being too intelligent and rewarding other groups for not being intelligent enough.

It's xyz!
Originally posted by Surtur
Also remember: we essentially put Japanese people in concentration camps(not nazi style camps, but camps nonetheless) in the 1940's and they actually are getting docked points lol.

It comes off like we are punishing one group of people for being too intelligent and rewarding other groups for not being intelligent enough. actually they were worse than some of the nazi concentration camps. Don't think that the us was any less racist than hitler ever was.

Also, docking Japanese points for being too smart? This is just retarded.

Surtur
I'm also not sure why they decided both blacks and hispanics needed bonus points, but that black people deserved more then hispanics.

It's apparently not just SAT scores either. Apparently a few of the other places this also happens is with credit scores and car loans.

It's xyz!
If you don't think black people should get more points for doing less work then you're racist.

Tattoos N Scars
Never heard this. I thought they got extra points on civil service exams.

Surtur
It doesn't surprise me most people don't know about it..because it's completely ridiculous.

I mean some of the figures they were looking at for this were from Princeton. There are apparent Ivy League schools granting people higher scores because they are black.

The fact of the matter is you shouldn't be given extra points for your race on any exam. You might as well give people points for spelling their name correctly or for successfully remembering their phone numbers.

Surtur
Originally posted by It's xyz!
If you don't think black people should get more points for doing less work then you're racist.

I can almost guarantee you if some white students got together to protest this inequality they'd be called racists.

riv6672
Do white people get extra points for having to do the bulk of the work in keeping society running/civilization advancing? If not, then no one should get extra points.

Raisen
Originally posted by riv6672
Do white people get extra points for having to do the bulk of the work in keeping society running/civilization advancing? If not, then no one should get extra points.

You are black?

Surtur

They do not. I'm actually surprised there isn't more uproar from blacks. If I was black I would essentially feel like they were, in a way, saying I can't compete intellectually with hispanics, whites, and especially asians.

riv6672
Originally posted by Raisen
You are black?
Yes, yes i am.

Mindset
Haha, I'm taking all your college spots!

GET MAD!

MF DELPH
Smh...

Back in '97 I scored a 1330 PSAT and 1470 on my SAT when it was still out of a possible 1600. The issue isn't race, it's the fact a lot of these families don't promote education, and giving them a handicap is not only insulting, it defeats the purpose of an aptitude test.

Bardock42
The OP is a complete misrepresentation of what the study (and the article discussing it not linked in the OP, but here you go) is actually about. No one gets bonus points on the SAT. What the study showed is that the SAT is not a one to one college admission ticket. They looked at test scores of those admitted to college and found that if we were to look solely at them, less blacks and Hispanics would be admitted. However, colleges never solely looked at SAT scores, and they also shouldn't, because the SAT is not a general aptitude test for everything, it tests certain aspects of education, there are many aspects it does not take into account, which college admission boards luckily do take into account.

Raisen
Yes, yes i am.

why are you so pro-white

riv6672
why are you so pro-white
I'm anti racist.

Mindship
Originally posted by MF DELPH
The issue isn't race, it's the fact a lot of these families don't promote education, and giving them a handicap is not only insulting, it defeats the purpose of an aptitude test. thumb up

It's xyz!
I'm anti racist. so you prefer Dr Martin Luther King Jr.

Instead of Malcolm X?

riv6672
I dont like anyone with X in their name. smile

It's xyz!
Not even professor X ?

riv6672
I love Professor X.

It's xyz!
I like professor X and Malcolm X.

riv6672
thumb up

Surtur

Surtur
Since again, the link you posted is one I posted too, and it flat out says certain races need to do better then others in order to win admission.

So are you saying the article I posted(and you posted as some kind of evidence) is wrong? Since it's pretty clear. The term "Bonus" is in quotes because yes they don't put a "+200 for being black" on the thing.

But again the very article we both posted says certain races need to do better then others in order to win admission. It's either true or not true, is this true yes or no?

Unless your intention was to say "some races need to do better then others to win admission, but they aren't receiving literal bonus points" then okay. Nobody even said colleges only look at SAT's. Hell not everyone who goes to college even takes them. The point is if there is a system in place that makes it easier/harder to gain admission based on race..that system needs to go.

Don't get me wrong I am actually hoping you can come back and show me, show us all, that everything in that article is 100% wrong, that Asians don't need to do much better to gain admissions, etc. I look forward to your critique of this article and all the points it gets wrong.

Bardock42
Like I said, the study doesn't show that any race gets bonus points. What it shows is that Asians who have been admitted scored on average x more, while blacks scored x less. Now that's a data point, the conclusion that some people (and apparently you) draw from that is that Asians are punished and Blacks are supported. That presupposes that the SATs are an accurate benchmark for college admission, but like you agreed, that is not the case. There could be multiple other explanations for that discrepancy as well, perhaps the black students admitted have written better essays, or they did more extracurricular activities, or perhaps they came from much worse schools and taking those circumstances into account they did exceptionally well, or perhaps they bring a valuable perspective to the student body that is otherwise missing etc. etc.

Surtur
So was the article lying or wrong when it said Asians have to do much better then other races to sometimes win admission?

Since the article, the one you also provided, does indeed say that, correct? Is it unreasonable to read this article and conclude that in some aspects..some races need to do better then others?

Since you act like it's a weird conclusion to draw, but the article actually comes out and says that. You see the answer could be "yes" without it meaning that SAT's are the only thing colleges look at. I don't care about the other criteria, what I care about is if it is factually true that when it comes to the SAT's that certain races need to do better then others?

I think you can agree that if that does happen, it's utter bullshit, right? Even if the SAT's are not the only thing looked at it. There is no place for something like that in society, correct?

Or to simplify things: Asian Americans, Lee says, are penalized by 50 points — in other words, they had to do that much better to win admission.

That line is false, then? Or at best, is an assumption?

Bardock42
Where does the LA Times article claim that it is harder for Asians?

It's xyz!
Black guys get through college because they have a pen while white boy does all the work and white women spread rumours about the big black dick.

It's a conspiracy!

Seriously though, you should probably ignore this post. no expression

Surtur

Surtur
I'm not sure what the f*ck is wrong with the board when it won't let me edit, but anyways: saying asians have to do much better to win admission seems pretty clear cut, yes? So either this is true or it is false. It can't be both. Is it true? False? Or just an assumption?

It's xyz!
It my be a case of Asians happen to grow up in better schools and blacks happen to grow up in worse schools.

It's still racial profiling, but that's the only get out clause I can think of so the universities aren't liable for racial discrimination.

Henry_Pym
Ok, this is a little misleading. It isn't bonus points it's just a lowered bar for entry.

I'll give an example, both Kyle and Tyrone want to go to the Pym institute of technologies and robotics. Kyle and Tyrone can score identically and have the same extra curricular stuff, but because of affirmative action and laws like it a college is forced to take Tyrone or it will lose federal funding. Granted sometimes it's more tilted like women in stem have 3-1 advantage or for every one college that would accept a man, a woman would be accepted to 3.

Surtur
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
Ok, this is a little misleading. It isn't bonus points it's just a lowered bar for entry.

Fair enough, but the bar shouldn't be lowered based on race, right? That is nonsense. It's also kind of racist, correct?

It's xyz!

I'll give an example, both Kyle and Tyrone want to go to the Pym institute of technologies and robotics. Kyle and Tyrone can score identically and have the same extra curricular stuff, but because of affirmative action and laws like it a college is forced to take Tyrone or it will lose federal funding. Granted sometimes it's more tilted like women in stem have 3-1 advantage or for every one college that would accept a man, a woman would be accepted to 3. the funniest thing about this was when I google image searched "Tyrone" no expression

Surtur
I also think it's nonsense that colleges can lose funding if they don't take someone they are being forced to take.

Here is how affirmative action should operate: If you have a job where not a lot of blacks get hired, then you look at all the white candidates. You then look at all the black candidates that have the same exact qualifications as the leading white candidate. Thus in this scenario no matter who you hire..you aren't getting a sub par worker. Whereas it doesn't always work like that though, sometimes people more qualified for a job get passed up by someone less qualified..merely because that person is a minority. Any business should be looking to hire the most qualified person for that job...since that is kind of one of the keys to a successful business.

Henry_Pym
Oh yes, incredibly racist. Milo Yiannopoulos puts it best, I wish I could remember his quote verbatim but it goes like this... You have helped young black boys and girls get into classes they have no chance of succeeding in because they don't have the base of knowledge needed and that's why Black student retention is so low.

Surtur
Oh yes, incredibly racist. Milo Yiannopoulos puts it best, I wish I could remember his quote verbatim but it goes like this... You have helped young black boys and girls get into classes they have no chance of succeeding in because they don't have the base of knowledge needed and that's why Black student retention is so low.

Yep, and btw I f*cking love Milo.

Henry_Pym
We need to break up inner city ghettos and start eliminating "____ studies" degree programs.

We have a teacher shortage, and we have children at university learning about cultural appropriation and how eating ramen with a fork is racist but so is using chopsticks.

Surtur
Wait please tell me you are joking and nobody called eating ramen with a fork racist. Since sadly I want to think it's a joke, but it sounds like exactly the kind of thing college kids would whine about.

Henry_Pym
I haven't seen that one yet, but I've seen that any "pick a country, serve their food" day is racist, incorrectly making a dish or failure to use traditional ingredients is racist and not serving "appropriated" food is also racist.

It's xyz!
Ethiopian food is racist against Californians.

Surtur
I haven't seen that one yet, but I've seen that any "pick a country, serve their food" day is racist, incorrectly making a dish or failure to use traditional ingredients is racist and not serving "appropriated" food is also racist.

I swear some people are just f*cking retarded. It reminds me of my friggin mother when I was a kid, if she told me to clean the house and I didn't she'd yell..if she told me to clean the house and I did she'd still find something to complain about.

People just want any reason these days to shout racism. But of course when the racism benefits them you usually don't hear a peep.

Surtur
The sickest part is..actual racism still DOES exist! But you f*cking cheapen it with stupid shit like this. Just like when a woman lies about being raped all it does is harm all the women who truly have had that horrid experience.

TethAdamTheRock
White people came from this
http://f1.pepst.com/c/FCC1A7/193346/ssc3/home/091/only.love.is.life/albums/angry_monkey_739979_6814015203591254164.jpg_480_480_0_64000_0_1_0.jpg

Black People Came From This
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Robby_Robinson_Wiki.jpg

Surtur
start eliminating "____ studies" degree programs.

Also yes..yes to this. Especially courses like "Women's Studies". We need to take the activism out of academia.

Henry_Pym
Also yes..yes to this. Especially courses like "Women's Studies". We need to take the activism out of academia. all of them, they just breed jobless angry "victims"

Stoic
Not sure if you guys realize this, but it's the education system in America that has failed minorities. I lived in Canada during my formative years and I can tell you that the education is different there than it is here. I'm not proud to say this but I've made friends here that have gone to college, and still have difficulty spelling words that most 7th graders would have no problem with. Some are Black, some are White, and some in between. I actually think that the problem stems from the highest offices in the government, and the blame does not, or should not rest solely on the shoulders of the people that are actually teaching minority students.

As we speak, Newark, New Jersey has a problem that has been in existence for at the very least 20 years. Their schools water supply is contaminated with lead. I'm certain that I don't have to remind anyone about the hazards of what ingesting lead daily could do to people? Especially children. When asked about the problem, there were actual statements made that the problem was known about for years... FOR YEARS!!! But, no one was willing to do anything about it. Should minorities stand in silence or should someone be held accountable for this bullshit? What does that say about an entire generation of children that were contaminated by that phucking water? Was it planned as some sort of sabotage by the powers that be? If it were in an affluent community, how would this have been handled? For phucks sake, I came to New Jersey to attend a funeral about 15 yrs ago, and there were heroin addicts, and junkies littering the streets. It actually reminded me of several scenes of the Walking Dead, but these people were alive. One mans lips were as white as chalk. That's how strung out he was. The government didn't do a phucking thing except round these people up, and throw the ones that weren't shot to death due to inner city crime into jail to ride out the symptoms.

Now that it's happening in the suburbs, everyone has to do something, because people are phucking dying, but when it happens in the inner city it's no big phucking deal. Then I see people making comments about the best person for the job bullshit. Let me tell you about my phucking experience, and I'm only 50% Black. I worked at a Config center and the only reason that I got the job (even though they sorely needed people) was because I went to school, got amazing grades, and was even A+ certified (among other certs that I possess) just for shits and giggles. Then I turn around just to make a friend who happened to be White, and find out that not only did this guy not go to college, he never even graduated from high school, he wasn't certified, but there he was making more money than I was. Let's all cry on each others shoulders about how phucking unfair shit is. Has anyone bothered to check out the statistics on how much women make compared to men? How about how much money minority men make in comparison to White men? Oh it's not fair, someone is getting extra phucking points on the SAT's, which in the end doesn't even phucking amount to a hill of beans in the real world. But let's take over the inner cities like we're phucking Lorne Greene armed with tranq darts to subdue the savages.

Mindset
Originally posted by Stoic
Not sure if you guys realize this, but it's the education system in America that has failed minorities. I lived in Canada during my formative years and I can tell you that the education is different there than it is here. I'm not proud to say this but I've made friends here that have gone to college, and still have difficulty spelling words that most 7th graders would have no problem with. Some are Black, some are White, and some in between. I actually think that the problem stems from the highest offices in the government, and the blame does not, or should not rest solely on the shoulders of the people that are actually teaching minority students.
There are kids in my chemistry class that seem legit retarded.

I don't get it, this is an upper level class too.

Surtur

As we speak, Newark, New Jersey has a problem that has been in existence for at the very least 20 years. Their schools water supply is contaminated with lead. I'm certain that I don't have to remind anyone about the hazards of what ingesting lead daily could do to people? Especially children. When asked about the problem, there were actual statements made that the problem was known about for years... FOR YEARS!!! But, no one was willing to do anything about it. Should minorities stand in silence or should someone be held accountable for this bullshit? What does that say about an entire generation of children that were contaminated by that phucking water? Was it planned as some sort of sabotage by the powers that be? If it were in an affluent community, how would this have been handled? For phucks sake, I came to New Jersey to attend a funeral about 15 yrs ago, and there were heroin addicts, and junkies littering the streets. It actually reminded me of several scenes of the Walking Dead, but these people were alive. One mans lips were as white as chalk. That's how strung out he was. The government didn't do a phucking thing except round these people up, and throw the ones that weren't shot to death due to inner city crime into jail to ride out the symptoms.

Now that it's happening in the suburbs, everyone has to do something, because people are phucking dying, but when it happens in the inner city it's no big phucking deal. Then I see people making comments about the best person for the job bullshit. Let me tell you about my phucking experience, and I'm only 50% Black. I worked at a Config center and the only reason that I got the job (even though they sorely needed people) was because I went to school, got amazing grades, and was even A+ certified (among other certs that I possess) just for shits and giggles. Then I turn around just to make a friend who happened to be White, and find out that not only did this guy not go to college, he never even graduated from high school, he wasn't certified, but there he was making more money than I was. Let's all cry on each others shoulders about how phucking unfair shit is. Has anyone bothered to check out the statistics on how much women make compared to men? How about how much money minority men make in comparison to White men? Oh it's not fair, someone is getting extra phucking points on the SAT's, which in the end doesn't even phucking amount to a hill of beans in the real world. But let's take over the inner cities like we're phucking Lorne Greene armed with tranq darts to subdue the savages.

None of what you just said means the bar should be lowered for certain races though. The other thing is people can't whine about racism in this country while at the same time BENEFITING from god damn racism.

The wage gap between men and women is more or less a myth, you realize this? No serious economist says it is a thing? Look it up. Go watch Milo Yiannopoulos talk about the "wage gap". There are videos of it on youtube. For instance statistics show women take off work more then men do and that is even true if you remove time off of work due to pregnancy from the equation. Just like on average women tend to work less hours then men. This is a CHOICE though it is not because people just give men all the hours, women on average will not choose to work as much and will take off work more, so why is it a shock that they overall earn less? If you could truly actually pay a woman less then a man for the same work then WHY the f*ck aren't people hiring nothing but females? Businessmen are greedy little shitheads, it's why so many illegals find work.

Also not sure if you realize this, but our education system has failed a LOT of people, not just minorities. But we are still left with the sad reality of the bar shouldn't be lowered for someone just because they belong to a specific race. Yes, even if that race is in the process of utterly destroying it's own community with drugs and gang violence.

tru-marvell
I have not read through all the post, so I'm not sure where the conversation has gone. But I have just recently watched an episode of Jeopardy and one of the categories had to do with "black authors" and these were not obscure authors but several well known. But the contestants were not able to provide the "question' to even one of the "answers". And I had always felt that "culturally bias" was just bullshit...but apparently not.

Surtur
Originally posted by tru-marvell
I have not read through all the post, so I'm not sure where the conversation has gone. But I have just recently watched an episode of Jeopardy and one of the categories had to do with "black authors" and these were not obscure authors but several well known. But the contestants were not able to provide the "question' to even one of the "answers". And I had always felt that "culturally bias" was just bullshit...but apparently not.

Just so I'm understanding this correctly..you are saying the fact people didn't know the names of black authors shows there is a cultural bias?

Do you feel a majority of blacks in America would of been able to give the correct answers? I'd be quite shocked if you did.

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by tru-marvell
I have not read through all the post, so I'm not sure where the conversation has gone. But I have just recently watched an episode of Jeopardy and one of the categories had to do with "black authors" and these were not obscure authors but several well known. But the contestants were not able to provide the "question' to even one of the "answers". And I had always felt that "culturally bias" was just bullshit...but apparently not. tbf most people don't know many authors outside the few greats (Hemingway, Shakespeare, Twain ect) and while they are all white that has far more to do with antiquated culture than anything to do with today.

Also to your first point, most vocal proponents for "culturally enriching the dialogue" are stupid people who got a degree in a field with no possible job opportunities like doctorate in African folk music or a degree in south Asian pottery.

It's xyz!
Is there any comparison between the Jewish race and other races?

I'd like to see that data.

Trocity
Originally posted by TethAdamTheRock
White people came from this
http://f1.pepst.com/c/FCC1A7/193346/ssc3/home/091/only.love.is.life/albums/angry_monkey_739979_6814015203591254164.jpg_480_480_0_64000_0_1_0.jpg

Black People Came From This
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a2/Robby_Robinson_Wiki.jpg

So we've evolved and they've devolved.

Interesting.

jinXed by JaNx
Give black and Hispanics bonus points for being oppressed.

Sheeeit

Not because they're oppressed but because they're
An inferior race. It's like when human erectus started
Breeding with cro-magnum. Black people and Hispanics are obviously
The cro-magnum side of the gene pool.

Surtur
Well that took a dark turn.

It's xyz!
Yes it did.

Speaking of blatant racism, I've been a bit confused about these two sentences...

"White people are superior"
Obviously racist and bad

"Check your white privilege"
A good comeback to deny white people suffering

More and more do I see liberal Americans acting like real racists.

Surtur
A better question to ask would be since the bar is lowered for blacks and hispanics, is that black and brown privilege?

I always loved trying to make up for inequality with more inequality.

It's xyz!
A better question to ask would be since the bar is lowered for blacks and hispanics, is that black and brown privilege?

I always loved trying to make up for inequality with more inequality. it really is stupid.

But seriously, what's the bar for Jewish students?

Surtur
I assume they just fall under "white people".

It's xyz!
I assume they just fall under "white people". i doubt it. They're probably not even in the census.

Jewish students probably enroll into private schools and have positions in Harvard and Yale before they're born.

Surtur
Is it even possible to have a position in Harvard before you are born? Is this like a thing that happens?

It's xyz!
Is it even possible to have a position in Harvard before you are born? Is this like a thing that happens? im talking about how some rich families will enroll their children into Harvard or Yale because of their high status.

W, for example, was always going to get into Yale like the rest of his family.

I wouldn't be surprised if rich Jewish families have this same privilege.

Stoic
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx

At this point I know that you have to be joking. Did you know that less than 1% (far less than 1%) of modern man can not be linked to a common ancestor. Do you realize what this implies cousin? That's right, there is a very large percentage of modern man that can be genetically traced back to a common ancestor. I have encountered mentally challenged people from just about every ethnicity. I've run into people with school smarts, but when it came to actually being intelligent they were lacking in certain areas. It's not to say that anyone in particular is stupid, although I know that there probably are stupid people out there, but what I'm really saying is that there is no stupid gene that links modern man to ancient man. At least not when it comes to the vast majority of humans in existence today.

School smarts is linked to exposure. Some people are born into families that are able to put their children in better schools, they may have loads of book stores in their neighborhood, while in a ghetto there aren't as many outlets for poorer children to be exposed to. This does not make them dumber however, it just means that they are inferior in terms of trivia. As far as the OP of this thread goes? No it is not right or fair to give extra points to a particular group of people, but then again, there are a lot of things out there that aren't exactly fair. Should the underprivileged get a chance to become something, and perhaps make their dreams come true by doing the hard work? Certainly, why not.

Raisen
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
there are plenty of intelligent and hard working Hispanics. language barrier and shit politics hold some back

Peace Keeper
actually they were worse than some of the nazi concentration camps. Don't think that the us was any less racist than hitler ever was.

Also, docking Japanese points for being too smart? This is just retarded.
Do you actually read the idiocy you type before you press submit?

No, they weren't worse than nazi concentration camps and theres a huge difference between what we did and why compared to what hitler did.

We weren't trying to commit genocide, we were detaining the countrymen and their relatives of the people who attacked us unprovoked. We had no way to know who was a spy and who was genuinely on our side.

What we did was prudent and I believe correct. Was it ideal? No. But just as every muslim should be under suspicion now, every jap was under suspicion then.

Peace Keeper
As for the topic.....Its not fair, but not all races are equally intelligent.some races are simply mentally inferior to others. The average I.q varies greatly from one race to another. Africans average 80-90, mexicans are 85-95, white euros are 100-110 and jews have the highest.

It's xyz!
Originally posted by Peace Keeper
Do you actually read the idiocy you type before you press submit?

No, they weren't worse than nazi concentration camps and theres a huge difference between what we did and why compared to what hitler did.

We weren't trying to commit genocide, we were detaining the countrymen and their relatives of the people who attacked us unprovoked. We had no way to know who was a spy and who was genuinely on our side.

What we did was prudent and I believe correct. Was it ideal? No. But just as every muslim should be under suspicion now, every jap was under suspicion then. i said they were worse than some of e concentration camps because indeed they were. Only 5 of the concentration camps had evidence of genocide, most were worker camps.

"Every Muslim should be under suspicious now" see that's idiocy that will only provoke terrorists or create more.

Most Muslims are actually moderate and peaceful, I ain't even joking.

Stoic
As for the topic.....Its not fair, but not all races are equally intelligent.some races are simply mentally inferior to others. The average I.q varies greatly from one race to another. Africans average 80-90, mexicans are 85-95, white euros are 100-110 and jews have the highest.

Do you believe that I.Q tests can accurately measure a persons intelligence? Do you believe that people from different ethnic groups are actually from a different race other than the human race? Do you believe that all Muslims should be placed under scrutiny? If so, how would you feel if you were placed under scrutiny for your beliefs, your skin color, or your sexual preference/s?

Surtur

But we've had geniuses from every race so everyone seems to have the same capacity for intelligence.

Though when you actually do things like lower the bar for certain races you seem to effectively be saying you do not think some races are as smart as the others.

Stoic
But we've had geniuses from every race so everyone seems to have the same capacity for intelligence.

Though when you actually do things like lower the bar for certain races you seem to effectively be saying you do not think some races are as smart as the others.

We all have conditions. Mental conditions. We are all in fact weaponized from the time that we are capable of learning, until the time that we die, or are reprogrammed to see another truth. But what is the truth? The governments around the world have used basic psychology to separate us as a people. Make no mistake, we are all one people genetically. If not, how is it that an Asian man could save a Black, White, or Hispanic person with a blood transfusion if they had the correct blood type? It is only our beliefs that separate us. Nothing more.

You may have noticed that the first thing that you read when it comes to the EEO agreement written upon a basic job application, is the question of what race do you come from? I wonder if there are many people out there that can really understand the psychology behind that question? I mean if everything is equal, why should I answer these questions? Why does this question even exist? It goes deeper than many people may at first believe. You see, if you can separate a people into clusters, you can more easily control them. And that's just the tip of the iceberg. This happened once before at the Tower of Babel. You do realize that the United States was formed upon the Christian belief system right? Back to the Tower of Babel, and it's main lesson, when all people come together with the same purpose, they are very difficult to stop, or control. The indoctrination process of this psychology (What Race Are You From?) is so strong on some, that they are convinced that we were all somehow derived from different planets, and placed on this world as some sort of science experiment by mythical little green or grey men that grew us in test tubes.

An animal is weaponized by denying them the comforts of companionship, then they are taught to distrust. People are weaponized by systems of belief. When I was a child, I was taught that Russians were bad, but I would find myself often questioning the validity of this. Then I met a Russian child named Pavel, and immediately upon learning that he was Russian started a fight with him because of what I was taught, only to later become this child's best friend when learning that there wasn't very much that actually separated us aside from his geographical origins, and political beliefs, which at that time in our lives wasn't very much.

If you were to take an infant (color does not matter in this case), but if you were to take an infant from a privileged community that had all of the bells and whistles that a community such as that offered it's children, and placed them within an underprivileged community. Allowed them to attend sub par schools, and did the opposite to a child born in an underprivileged community. The child born in the underprivileged community but raised in the privileged community with all of the bells and whistles offered by that community would attain better grades than they would have if they were to have been left in that underprivileged community with the sub par schooling offered to underprivileged children. People are fed a lot of shit, some eat it up, some turn their noses up to it. The majority of people can be told one thing, and that one thing may set them on a path blind of the truth. Why? Well in many cases, it's the only truth that they know, and before long they become indoctrinated into a system of belief that they are not overly eager to relinquish, if ever. The bible says train your child up in all of their ways, and they shall not soon depart. It's just something to mull over.

Peace Keeper
Do you believe that I.Q tests can accurately measure a persons intelligence? Do you believe that people from different ethnic groups are actually from a different race other than the human race? Do you believe that all Muslims should be placed under scrutiny? If so, how would you feel if you were placed under scrutiny for your beliefs, your skin color, or your sexual preference/s?
You're playing word games. "Race" or "breed", humans with distinctive dna clusters....ETC. You can play semantics with someone else. There are differences between races . Physically and mentally. Yes, intelligence, like race, is hereditary.

Yes, some races are less likely to inherit higher I.qs than others. Yes, I.q is an effective measure of intelligence.
Yes, Muslims should be suspect. If I was Muslim, I'd realize my religion is based on the ramblings of a violent pedophile and I'd 100% understand why you'd suspect me.

Stoic
You're playing word games. "Race" or "breed", humans with distinctive dna clusters....ETC. You can play semantics with someone else. There are differences between races . Physically and mentally. Yes, intelligence, like race, is hereditary.

Yes, some races are less likely to inherit higher I.qs than others. Yes, I.q is an effective measure of intelligence.
Yes, Muslims should be suspect. If I was Muslim, I'd realize my religion is based on the ramblings of a violent pedophile and I'd 100% understand why you'd suspect me.

Prove anything that you've just stated is etched in stone. Give me some solid examples before this goes to a place that it shouldn't go to in the first place. You're attempts at boxing and labeling entire groups of people is laughable. If people were to believe the bullshit that you just spewed, and it is bullshit, my guess is that you would next go on to say that having a larger brain automatically indicates more intelligence.

jinXed by JaNx
At this point I know that you have to be joking.

Yea I totally was

Peace Keeper
Prove anything that you've just stated is etched in stone. Give me some solid examples before this goes to a place that it shouldn't go to in the first place. You're attempts at boxing and labeling entire groups of people is laughable. If people were to believe the bullshit that you just spewed, and it is bullshit, my guess is that you would next go on to say that having a larger brain automatically indicates more intelligence.
Calm down, wipe the foam from your mouth and ask clearly what youd like for me to prove. You are all over the place. You're an adult, yes? Then you should be able to process information without being triggered.

No, bigger brains don't necessarily mean higher intelligence. Im not sure why you asked that, but I don't mind.

The Ellimist
There's a pretty easy way to test this statistically; check correlations between SAT and relevant outcomes like college performance, future income, academic and professional attainment, etc., and see if the correlation is smaller for certain ethnic groups. If the correlation's the same, you don't need to add any bonus points.

Also contrary to popular belief, at least the previous SAT wasn't super-dependent on socioeconomic status. It correlated with it because richer parents tended to be smarter and to have smarter kids; children's scores didn't really correlate with their adoptive parents.

Surtur
The bar should be the same for everyone. It's like telling Timmy he needs a score of at least a 90 to get an A on a test, but then Jimmy is told he only needs an 85 on a test to get an A, because he is of a different race. Either they both need 90 to get an A or they both need an 85 to get an A.

It's racist to do it any other way.

Peace Keeper
The bar should be the same for everyone. It's like telling Timmy he needs a score of at least a 90 to get an A on a test, but then Jimmy is told he only needs an 85 on a test to get an A, because he is of a different race. Either they both need 90 to get an A or they both need an 85 to get an A.

It's racist to do it any other way.
I disagree. It would be like every dog breed being judged by the same set of standards.

Instead, we judge them differently based on their breed and the breeds individual, unique strengths and weaknesses along with other breed specific attributes.

Some breeds are bigger/stronger/faster/smarter/tougher/more athletic than other breeds and they aren't expected to be equal nor should they.
The same logic applies to races.
We aren't equal.

Whites are generally less intelligent than asians, but more athletic. Whites are generally less athletic than blacks, but have higher I.qs. And so on and so forth. Each breed of human has its strengths and weaknesses.

Peace Keeper
I.q and sat score breakdown by race.

Peace Keeper
I.q by race of adopted kids.

Peace Keeper
Sats.

The Ellimist
I disagree. It would be like every dog breed being judged by the same set of standards.

Instead, we judge them differently based on their breed and the breeds individual, unique strengths and weaknesses along with other breed specific attributes.

Some breeds are bigger/stronger/faster/smarter/tougher/more athletic than other breeds and they aren't expected to be equal nor should they.
The same logic applies to races.
We aren't equal.

Whites are generally less intelligent than asians, but more athletic. Whites are generally less athletic than blacks, but have higher I.qs. And so on and so forth. Each breed of human has its strengths and weaknesses.

roll eyes (sarcastic) There may be mean differences between population groups, but that information is irrelevant to the differences between individual applicants. It shouldn't matter to a 140 IQ black candidate that black people in general have this or that IQ - that information loses all usefulness when you can just test everyone individually.

That would be like claiming Calvin Johnson is a sh*t football player because the Detroit Lions suck so average Lions players probably do.

Peace Keeper
Originally posted by The Ellimist
roll eyes (sarcastic) There may be mean differences between population groups, but that information is irrelevant to the differences between individual applicants. It shouldn't matter to a 140 IQ black candidate that black people in general have this or that IQ - that information loses all usefulness when you can just test everyone individually.

That would be like claiming Calvin Johnson is a sh*t football player because the Detroit Lions suck so average Lions players probably do.
Um...You absolutely can make rules for the majority. You're talking about outliers...they are rare and can be handled differently.

Out of 100k blacks you might get one 140 I.q...pull him to the side and make him take the white test. The rest will have a 85-90(below 85 is functionally retarded) I.q average and will need the easy test.

Its just the reality. Africans have the lowest I.q, probably because you don't need high intelligence to survive in Africa...You need athleticism to run away from ****ing lions. Thatd why 99% of the greatest athletes are black.

Whites and asians evolved in cold places, very few natural enemies. They needed a high I.q to survive the frozen lands. They needed to be inventive. Thats why 99% of the greatest inventions of all time are by whites and asians.

Stoic
Um...You absolutely can make rules for the majority. You're talking about outliers...they are rare and can be handled differently.

Out of 100k blacks you might get one 140 I.q...pull him to the side and make him take the white test. The rest will have a 85-90(below 85 is functionally retarded) I.q average and will need the easy test.

Its just the reality. Africans have the lowest I.q, probably because you don't need high intelligence to survive in Africa...You need athleticism to run away from ****ing lions. Thatd why 99% of the greatest athletes are black.

Whites and asians evolved in cold places, very few natural enemies. They needed a high I.q to survive the frozen lands. They needed to be inventive. Thats why 99% of the greatest inventions of all time are by whites and asians.

I gave you nearly one month to come up with anything other than the fantasies that are spread on websites like Stormfront, and you still haven't come up with anything based on reality. You said that all ethnic groups differ physically. This is wrong, and I can't believe that I had to actually come back to emphasize how wrong that you actually are. It's actually pretty pitiful TBH.

Did you know that all ethnic groups have different body types? (ALL OF THEM DO... LOOK IT UP FFS!!!!). All that you need to do, is google it. I'm just hoping that it doesn't hurt too much when you realize that we are all physically the same. Some just have different body types.

Trivia does not accurately measure a person intelligence, which is also something that I can't believe that I had to come back to let you in on. You actually have people walking around with degrees that have trouble spelling the most remedial of words. This does not mean that they are stupid, but simply that their intellectual strengths lie in other areas. Another thing that I can't believe that I had to explain to you.

At this point, I realize that explaining anything to the ignorant is a monumental waste of time, but I can at least say that I made the attempt. Before accepting one argument from now on, you should make certain to look at all of the findings so that you can get a clearer picture.

Adam Grimes
'You need athleticism to run away from lions, that's why they're stupid!' laughing out loud

Surtur
Anyways, so I think we can all agree it's utter f*cking bullshit the bar is different for different races, right? I know this is kind of like saying "do we all agree water is wet" but still.

Stoic
Anyways, so I think we can all agree it's utter f*cking bullshit the bar is different for different races, right? I know this is kind of like saying "do we all agree water is wet" but still.

It has to be set like that because there is no perfect system. Asians typically school for more hours per semester than American students, and as such are exposed to more trivia. It is no secret that Blacks, and Hispanics are a minority in affluent neighborhoods. Children raised in affluent neighborhoods (White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, etc) tend to have greater exposure in terms of education. This does not mean that the children raised within ghettos are dumber, but it instead means that when it comes to testing in areas that they have never touched upon, they will logically not know the answers.

If you take heed to people like Peace Keeper, you would come to believe that Caucasian men have smaller penises, or that the size of your foot determines how large your private parts are. This of course would be a lie. It would be like saying that Spanish women have the largest breasts out of all women. How about the myth that a larger brain means that a person possesses more intelligence? On average Black people have larger brains than Caucasian people do. This does not mean that Black people are indeed more intelligent, it just means that on average, Blacks tend to have more body mass due to poorer diets. Why do Blacks have poorer diets? Well since more Blacks live below the poverty line than Caucasians, they tend to eat foods that aren't as healthy.

Body types. If you were to take heed to Peace Keeper, you would completely ignore the different body types that all ethnic groups have within them. There are three basic human body types: The Endomorph, characterized by a preponderance of body fat. The Mesomorph, marked by a well-developed musculature; and the Ectomorph, distinguished by a lack of much fat or muscle tissue. Listening to him would have you believe that all Black women have round fat behinds, which is a myth, and all White women have wide flat behinds, which is another myth.

It is not fair Surtur, but as I stated, there is no perfect system. The way that the United States (which should actually be called the Divided States) was built from it's inception, was all wrong. It is the reason for the rather large disparities in education, among other things. If you take a child out of the ghetto, and raise them in an affluent neighborhood and send them to the best schools, that child should score high on the SAT's. Since this is not possible, they do the next best thing, they lower the bar in order for these students who have equal potential to make it into ivy league colleges. It all comes down to exposure, nothing more.

Sorry for the rant people, but this Peace Keeper person has got to be one of the most ignorant human beings out there, and I felt a strong need to correct him.

Raisen
you're wrong about everything stoic.
hit the books and come back in a few weeks when you've learned.

Stoic
you're wrong about everything stoic.
hit the books and come back in a few weeks when you've learned.

Show me where I'm wrong skippy.

snowdragon
Show me where I'm wrong skippy.

Show where you are right?

Stoic
Body Types
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/becker3.htm

Brain facts

http://www.brainfacts.org/brain-basics/neuroanatomy/articles/2014/the-bigger-your-brain-the-smarter-you-are/

http://www.africaresource.com/sci-tech-a-business/genetics/554-race-and-brain-size-blacks-have-bigger-brains

Genetic ability comes in all colors, shapes, and sizes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/9992221/Born-to-run-genetic-test-can-reveal-those-best-able-to-run-marathons.html

Quality of life indicators - Education

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/Quality_of_life_indicators_-_education

Study: Children's life trajectories largely determined by family they are born into

http://hub.jhu.edu/2014/06/02/karl-alexander-long-shadow-research

Surtur
It has to be set like that because there is no perfect system. Asians typically school for more hours per semester than American students, and as such are exposed to more trivia. It is no secret that Blacks, and Hispanics are a minority in affluent neighborhoods. Children raised in affluent neighborhoods (White, Black, Hispanic, Asian, etc) tend to have greater exposure in terms of education. This does not mean that the children raised within ghettos are dumber, but it instead means that when it comes to testing in areas that they have never touched upon, they will logically not know the answers.

So people want racism when it benefits them, but otherwise they want it to stop? You actually can't have it both ways. Either racism is bad or it isn't lol. You say it's not perfect, but the system doesn't need to be perfect, it just doesn't need to be racist, because we constantly hear whining about racism. You can't have people saying "I just want equal rights! I just want no racism! But because of the oppression of the past I don't want equal rights and I totally want racism when I can benefit from it".

Then on top of that it's taboo for us to talk about the real problems and the real causes of said problems in these neighborhoods. Basically poverty is like a get out of jail for free card. It automatically seems to excuse the rampant violence in these places..but it's also the reason they should be given special treatment. That almost..sounds like some sort of "privilege" doesn't it?

Newjak
So people want racism when it benefits them, but otherwise they want it to stop? You actually can't have it both ways. Either racism is bad or it isn't lol. You say it's not perfect, but the system doesn't need to be perfect, it just doesn't need to be racist, because we constantly hear whining about racism. You can't have people saying "I just want equal rights! I just want no racism! But because of the oppression of the past I don't want equal rights and I totally want racism when I can benefit from it".

Then on top of that it's taboo for us to talk about the real problems and the real causes of said problems in these neighborhoods. Basically poverty is like a get out of jail for free card. It automatically seems to excuse the rampant violence in these places..but it's also the reason they should be given special treatment. That almost..sounds like some sort of "privilege" doesn't it? You're kidding me with this? Are you really trying to say that poverty is a privilege because that is what this sounds like.

Real problems???? Poverty is a real problem that people face and is an extremely good measure of the standard of living people have to deal with.

Surtur
Poverty is one of the real problems, but they don't want to talk about the others. The privilege comes in when you have a lower standard set for you based on race. This is wrong, correct? It is racist, correct? All races should have to meet the same standards, correct?

Blacks aren't the only people suffering from poverty in this country and thus they shouldn't have lower standards set for them because of that. To which no, even if blacks represent the people with the highest rates of poverty it still doesn't mean they are the only ones suffering or should get any kind of special treatment based solely on race.

Surtur
Oh you want an example of these other problems? Go check my latest posts in the black lives matter topic. This shit is getting out of control.

Newjak
Poverty is one of the real problems, but they don't want to talk about the others. The privilege comes in when you have a lower standard set for you based on race. This is wrong, correct? It is racist, correct? All races should have to meet the same standards, correct?

Blacks aren't the only people suffering from poverty in this country and thus they shouldn't have lower standards set for them because of that. To which no, even if blacks represent the people with the highest rates of poverty it still doesn't mean they are the only ones suffering or should get any kind of special treatment based solely on race. What other problems are you talking about?

And yes I do not believe SAT scores should be changed on race but we still can't ignore the context of why this happened in the first place and why it still maybe needed today. Doing so is throwing out half of the key points about this conversation wouldn't you agree?

Surtur
The rampant f*cking crime in these places, the victim mentality, the mentality of always blaming the cops, this whole bullshit where we can't talk about harsh truths anymore because someone is going to get their feelings hurt.

Like I said go check the recent links I put up in the "black lives matters" topic. Sheriff points out there is a huge increase in crime in this area and it's mostly blacks? Oops, NAACP has to get involved even though the sheriff wasn't actually saying anything false. Criminal teens steal a car, drive it into a pond, drown because they are f*cking stupid? Parents blame the cops.

Shit like this? Is what has people so pissed off. There is no accountability, no responsibility on the parents part, we all want to stick our damn fingers in our ears and pretend this all isn't happening. This case isn't even anomaly, that is the scary part man.

There are huge elephants in the room people want to ignore.

Raisen
honestly, if this kind of mentality goes on it's going to weed out the trouble makers anyway. it's sad, it's going to take a long time, and it's rough, but inevitably the cry babies and criminals will be taken out.

Surtur
I just think people are going crazy these days, they would rather whine at the cops then face the problems from within their own communities! They literally look for any excuse to try to deflect responsibility.

That is some kind of weird f*cking privilege, I don't even know what to call it. The privilege of being god damn ignorant I guess. The privilege of turning a blind eye to the real issues and just pretend the worst thing you have to face is evil racism. I'm just tired of it, enough is enough already.

Bardock42
What a clown you are.

Raisen
you nor i will change it. people like this only exist because the countries that cater to these types have money and the ability to hold them up. it can't last forever. it won't last forever. eventually life will come around and these types won't last.

Surtur
Yep, people will just ignore it until it becomes impossible to ignore. All we can do is sit back and watch.

Raisen
the sjw complain about the over incarceration of blacks. others say that is is because there is a strong gang culture amongst lower class blacks....sadly more blacks proportionately are in this lower class than other races etc.
these things just aren't changing that much. blacks are seemingly going to be incarcerated at this rate indefinitely. sure, there is the federal clemency passing, the two point reduction for the crack laws etc....but it still isn't making much of a difference. over time mass incarceration and darwin awards (those gta girls drowning etc) are going to affect the American black population significantly. Eventually i forsee that the population of blacks who aren't incarcerated will for the majority be responsible citizens and take back their communities from the dregs. It will take time, and many will be incarcerated, but it is inevitable. Equilibrium will take hold and there will be a big cultural change. it will be good but it will take time and heavy losses.

It truly is a cultural issue that is sustained by do-gooders that just don't see the harm they cause.

Surtur
I just hope it happens sooner rather then later. I mean watching these people trying to question this cop about the drownings..lol it's just, it's sad. They just don't want to enter this new fangled thing we call "reality". How many more of these lives that they claim matter will be lost before they get their shit together?

Meh, at this point we just can sit and wait. I don't know what to do, not all poor people act this way, if you go to a trailer park you won't have people gunning down little kids in gang wars, etc. so I dunno. Feels like it is just all getting out of control.

Raisen
and bardock came on with the personal insults. great

Surtur
Oh is that what that buzzing sound was?

Raisen
i think we are seeing a boiling point now honestly.

Adam Grimes
and bardock came on with the personal insults. great This is no safe space buddy.

Raisen
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
This is no safe space buddy.

lol. yeah. i expect no safe space anywhere. not even in my home honestly. i can choose who enters it but not who invades it.

Raisen
anybody else notice these boards are a lot more polite without hushgarak around?

Emperordmb
Equality as it should exist should relate to freedom, and that is how progress happens. Equal opportunity is equality as it should exist in our society.

Now this bullshit on the otherhand is blatantly constrictive. It is literally applying racism and devaluing the accomplishments of certain races in a great attempt to equalize things, which is pure and utter horseshit and if that's equality, I don't want it.

If someone has earned their way into a college they've earned their way, I don't think what race they are should matter at all there. Especially considering race doesn't ****ing matter in regards to the circumstances your born in. If a white person is born in poverty or a black person is born in poverty it's literally the exact same thing. Sure racism in the past may have lead to the poverty they were born into, but that doesn't change the fact that for both the white and black person they were born into a disadvantageous situation due to factors beyond their control.

If you wanna actually bring a positive form of equality, create equal opportunity in the education system from the beginning, don't try and adjust for it once their already out of high school because that's honestly a pile of horseshit.

Bardock42
How can you be both for equality of opportunity and against policies that take the inequality of opportunity into account?

Surtur
I'm not for fighting inequality with more inequality. So no, different races shouldn't have the bar set lower or higher for them.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Bardock42
How can you be both for equality of opportunity and against policies that take the inequality of opportunity into account? Why does the differentiation of standards take into account race instead of what's actually giving them less opportunities to have as well-rounded an education, like poverty (I am assuming this is the case, because I assume people weren't stupid enough to not mention that this is taken into account)? Why does race factor in at all?

Surtur
Because oppression and poverty and shit! Only black people are poor and have no opportunities. We've treated Asians beautifully in this country, which is why they get none of this sweet sweet equality. You see when we put the Japanese in concentration camps we injected them all with experimental hormones to increase intelligence. We did them a favor.

I saw this old Japanese guy on the street the other day and just looked at him and said "you owe me" and he kind of nodded like he KNEW he owed me.

Newjak
Because oppression and poverty and shit! Only black people are poor and have no opportunities. We've treated Asians beautifully in this country, which is why they get none of this sweet sweet equality. You see when we put the Japanese in concentration camps we injected them all with experimental hormones to increase intelligence. We did them a favor.

I saw this old Japanese guy on the street the other day and just looked at him and said "you owe me" and he kind of nodded like he KNEW he owed me. This is a silly argument. Are you saying that there wasn't a systemic movement in this country that specifically targeted African Americans and forced them into generations of slavery poverty?

Yes what happened to the Japanese in WW2 was a terrible black eye on the US. But let's not pretend they are equivalent in scope.

Even if you do not agree Asian americans should have points deducted that doesn't preclude the hardships that lead to African Americans getting a boost.

Mindset

I saw this old Japanese guy on the street the other day and just looked at him and said "you owe me" and he kind of nodded like he KNEW he owed me. Internment camps lasted like 3 years and they were paid reparations.

So yea, it's exactly the same plight African Americans had to deal with in the US; I'm glad you brought it up.

Robtard
I'm pretty sure most freed slaves never received those forty acres and a mule

NemeBro
Originally posted by Newjak
This is a silly argument. Are you saying that there wasn't a systemic movement in this country that specifically targeted African Americans and forced them into generations of slavery poverty?

Yes what happened to the Japanese in WW2 was a terrible black eye on the US. But let's not pretend they are equivalent in scope.

Even if you do not agree Asian americans should have points deducted that doesn't preclude the hardships that lead to African Americans getting a boost. That's cool and all, but does a black boy going up in the same neighborhood as a white boy, going to the same school as a white boy, and having the same rough financial status of a white boy, have less opportunities to learn than a white boy? If so, why?

I am not disputing that black people are far more affected by poverty than white people, but I'm questioning why the race of the applicants is being looked at rather than their financial status and background.

Surtur
This is a silly argument. Are you saying that there wasn't a systemic movement in this country that specifically targeted African Americans and forced them into generations of slavery poverty?

Even if you do not agree Asian americans should have points deducted that doesn't preclude the hardships that lead to African Americans getting a boost.

Fair enough, but I never said they were equivalent, just that Asians were wronged by us too and *we penalize them*.

The fact of the matter is no race should be given a lower bar. A person actually doesn't have to be black to suffer the negative consequences of poverty. If you want to use poverty and lack of education or lack of adequate opportunities as an excuse then the bar should be lowered for anyone coming from similar situations.

Also question: do you feel that blacks and hispanics who come from wealthy families and who attended decent schools should not receive this lower bar? Either way you are supporting racism if you support this, but I'm curious if you feel we should be racist all across the board or just to the less privileged blacks and hispanics? Essentially in your opinion how much racism is the correct amount here?

Newjak
Originally posted by NemeBro
That's cool and all, but does a black boy going up in the same neighborhood as a white boy, going to the same school as a white boy, and having the same rough financial status of a white boy, have less opportunities to learn than a white boy? If so, why?

I am not disputing that black people are far more affected by poverty than white people, but I'm questioning why the race of the applicants is being looked at rather than their financial status and background. Probably because those races used to be drastically underrepresented in higher education and still can be. Some of that can be directly linked to the historical nature of racism in our country.

I don't think anyone would say it is a completely fair system but I do think at one point it was a necessary evil and still could be today. I haven't done too much research on current trends in college.

The Ellimist
If they can't do well enough on the SAT for whatever reason to fit within a university's range, how do you think they're going to fair if they actually attend, and have to take similar exams?

Bardock42
Originally posted by NemeBro
That's cool and all, but does a black boy going up in the same neighborhood as a white boy, going to the same school as a white boy, and having the same rough financial status of a white boy, have less opportunities to learn than a white boy? If so, why?

I am not disputing that black people are far more affected by poverty than white people, but I'm questioning why the race of the applicants is being looked at rather than their financial status and background.

Again, that is a misunderstanding of the findings. They do not show that race is looked at and black people are given bonus points. It shows that from all people accepted into college, black people on average had the lowest SAT scores.

The Ellimist
It implies as much.

Surtur
Probably because those races used to be drastically underrepresented in higher education and still can be. Some of that can be directly linked to the historical nature of racism in our country.

I don't think anyone would say it is a completely fair system but I do think at one point it was a necessary evil and still could be today. I haven't done too much research on current trends in college.

So you didn't answer my question. Should the bar still be lowered for blacks and latino's who come from wealthy families and went to decent schools?

If this is about poverty and lack of opportunities..they shouldn't get that lower bar, correct?

Also you fully recognize this is racism, right? I just want to be clear that you know this is racism. Whether you want to make excuses about it being a "necessary evil" or not, you acknowledge it is racist? If you want to fight inequality with more inequality then please just come out and directly say that.

Newjak
So you didn't answer my question. Should the bar still be lowered for blacks and latino's who come from wealthy families and went to decent schools?

If this is about poverty and lack of opportunities..they shouldn't get that lower bar, correct?

Also you fully recognize this is racism, right? I just want to be clear that you know this is racism. Whether you want to make excuses about it being a "necessary evil" or not, you acknowledge it is racist? If you want to fight inequality with more inequality then please just come out and directly say that. Dude you're beig a little aggressive here. Of course it is racist by definition alone. That doesn't make you right on this conversation. Also the disadvantages of racism isn't regulated strictly to poverty. You can be well off but still be on the end of racism that makes life harder for you. Like the study that showed even having a black sounding name can get you rejected for a job interview. But let me ask you Surtur. If there is a problem of racism effecting minorities chances of getting into college. How do you suppose we break that chain without giving special treatment to those minorities temporarily?

Also I'm having a difficult time finding any credible evidence that this is actually going on. I've only found sources that state the averages of student scores not that there really is a point adjustment.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.