If you had to pick, which continuity would you choose?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Darth Abonis
Legends or new canon?

The Ellimist
Legends has the advantage of time; it has more content, a richer universe, more exotic material, etc. Nostalgia probably helps it too. And it's undeniably more interesting with respect to versus debates.

The new Canon has more funding, better focus and arguably better average levels of storytelling. You could argue that average level doesn't matter because you can pick out what stories to read, but it's still nice to have a more consistently solid mythos.

I'd say the new Canon's trilogy's excites me more than any Legends stuff and breathes life into the franchise, but Legends is better for vs. debates and maybe role playing and fanfic, at least for the moment.

cs_zoltan
MaRey Sue killed canon.

The Ellimist
Even if you don't think the OT Luke is a Sue, NJO+ Luke certainly is.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by The Ellimist
Legends has the advantage of time; it has more content, a richer universe, more exotic material, etc.

Just this for me.

The New Canon has watered down some of my favorite aspects and I'm none too thrilled about that..

cs_zoltan
K? Rey was basically better than ANH Luke and Han and Leia combined.

Darth Thor
There's a 3rd continuity.. A pretty important one at that- Lucas Canon. Which was the 6 films and TCW series only.

Although tbf it's incomplete without Rebels given TCW was cancelled early by Disney and a lot of the unfinished TCW plots are being addressed there.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by cs_zoltan
K? Rey was basically better than ANH Luke and Han and Leia combined.

So? Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network was much smarter than Kane in Citizen Kane; where's the line?

Syndicate
This is like choosing between Vader and Anakin.

One's obviously superior and the other has greater potential.

*Waits for the bait to be taken*

The Ellimist
^ damn that's clever

Was Mustafar like Lucas selling his franchise in reverse chronological order?

FreshestSlice
They're both terrible. Luckily, this is fiction, so I really don't have to care about events in either. Just pick the stories you like.

The Ellimist
> thinks Star Wars is terrible
> spends a significant amount of time on a forum debating whether its fictional characters would win in fantasy fights

kek

FreshestSlice
I don't think Star Wars is terrible; I think the continuities are terrible. Also, I'd hardly call what I do here debating.

Syndicate
^ damn that's clever

Was Mustafar like Lucas selling his franchise in reverse chronological order?

Yes. :3

MS Warehouse
New canon is a joke. After reading hundreds of books, playing games, reading comics, I'm supposed to just deal with the fact that none of it even exists in continuity? No thanks Disney, I'll take Legends over your recycled OT garbage.

Beniboybling
You gonna cry Beefy? smile

Trocity
Tad upset there. laughing out loud

The Ellimist
Damn, I'm tempted to read it now.

relentless1
new canon. Ive never been a fan of the larger stories in the Legends continuity, except a few of the Sith stories that lead up to the movies and a few of the Clone War era books

MS Warehouse
Originally posted by Beniboybling
You gonna cry Beefy? smile

Nope, just laughing at all the people dumb enough to enjoy the new canon while continuously denying it's a rehash of the OT.

The Ellimist
Honestly my primary interaction with Star Wars now is probably debating, so Legends might be more important to me. But I like the new trilogy.

Beniboybling
Originally posted by MS Warehouse
Nope, just laughing at all the people dumb enough to enjoy the new canon while continuously denying it's a rehash of the OT. I dunno friend, sounds like you're shedding salty tears. smile

MS Warehouse
Ah yes, anything on this forum resembling criticism equates to crying. thumb up

The Ellimist
Seeing as how these movies' entertainment value is subjective, and said entertainment seems to be the primary benefit you attain from them, it's actually a more optimal outcome to be entertained by the new films than not to be; from a utilitarian standpoint you get more happiness and pleasure and don't actually lose anything beyond some fantastical Kantian obligation to follow mswarehouse's criteria or something.

But complaining about those damn kids more fits Beefy's intellectual level. smile

MS Warehouse
Seeing as how these movies' entertainment value is subjective, and said entertainment seems to be the primary benefit you attain from them, it's actually a more optimal outcome to be entertained by the new films than not to be; from a utilitarian standpoint you get more happiness and pleasure and don't actually lose anything beyond some fantastical Kantian obligation to follow mswarehouse's criteria or something.

But complaining about those damn kids more fits Beefy's intellectual level. smile As usual, your rebuttals make as much sense as me learning cantonese. In fact they're just getting dumber. I think we all appreciate your sad attempts at pseudo intellectualism but there's only so much you can wing with a below average iq. thumb up

The Ellimist
EDIT: on second thought, I guess you could say that films can also shape your worldview and create a more meaningful universe and that the new films might not do that if you accept the premise that they're less original. Eh, I guess.

MS Warehouse
There's no premise to accept. The fact that tfa is unoriginal at best, a pathetic rehash at worse is just that, a fact.

cs_zoltan
So? Mark Zuckerberg in The Social Network was much smarter than Kane in Citizen Kane; where's the line?

Wait a minute, you legit don't think Rey is a Mary Sue? Cause you are retarded then.

MS Warehouse
She's totally a Mary sue.

The Ellimist
Wait a minute, you legit don't think Rey is a Mary Sue? Cause you are retarded then.

She's good at lots of things. You know those people exist in real life right? I mean, Abraham Lincoln was a Mary Sue by those standards, and he's the second most written about person in all of history.

As long as Rey is challenged in the story, and has an interesting character arc, that's fine. The latter is debatable and we'd probably have to wait for a while, but the former is clearly the case - she gets captured, has to run away from forces too big for her to handle, is clearly losing to Kylo for most of their duel, etc.

cs_zoltan
you are retarded

The Ellimist
I excelled at all of my academic studies. I'm obviously a Mary Sue. smile

cs_zoltan
No, you are obviously Originally posted by cs_zoltan
retarded

The Ellimist
That would explain your genetic deficiencies. mmm

MS Warehouse
Excelling at academics means precisely dick. But rey is a mary sue.

The_Tempest
Legends. It has a lot of shit. And I do mean a lot. But it also has higher points than canon: YDR, ROTS novel, Shatterpoint, Cloak of Deception, TUF, Traitor, etc. KOTOR, Republic Commando, Jedi Outcast & Academy. The Republic comic series, etc.

quanchi112
There's no premise to accept. The fact that tfa is unoriginal at best, a pathetic rehash at worse is just that, a fact. This is opinion based so please don't ever act as if your opinion is a fact. It isn't. Yw.

MS Warehouse
Originally posted by quanchi112
This is opinion based so please don't ever act as if your opinion is a fact. It isn't. Yw. You must be that one person who thought tfa was good, hence the butthurt.

quanchi112
You must be that one person who thought tfa was good, hence the butthurt. I was disappointed but my expectations were extremely high due to Abrams involvement. That being said its my third favorite Star Wars film and no matter what your opinion on this film it's still an opinion. Popularity doesn't make an opinion a fact.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Legends. It has a lot of shit. And I do mean a lot. But it also has higher points than canon: YDR, ROTS novel, Shatterpoint, Cloak of Deception, TUF, Traitor, etc. KOTOR, Republic Commando, Jedi Outcast & Academy. The Republic comic series, etc.

Nitpick: the RotS novelization is still canon.

MS Warehouse
I was disappointed but my expectations were extremely high due to Abrams involvement. That being said its my third favorite Star Wars film and no matter what your opinion on this film it's still an opinion. Popularity doesn't make an opinion a fact. Fact: it was unoriginal. Fact: it was a cheap rehash of anh.

McP
Hard to answer. Legends probably.

Rebpulic and Jedi comis, all of Luceno's books, Shatterpoint - best sources imo

quanchi112
Fact: it was unoriginal. Fact: it was a cheap rehash of anh. A new hope wasn't original either. Cheap is being used subjectively here so no matter how vehemently you disagree it's still an opinion. You can't get around that.

Darth Thor
HAHAHA So Quanchi admits he was disappointed in TFA and that it's not his favourite or even 2nd favourite SW film, yet he's going around accusing me of being a Hater..

Oh the Bandwagon Troll really is an idiot. I've clearly messed with his head. He's obsessed with me.

MS Warehouse
A new hope wasn't original either. Cheap is being used subjectively here so no matter how vehemently you disagree it's still an opinion. You can't get around that.

Think you're missing the point. TFA was unoriginal in terms of Star Wars. TFA was a rehash of OT. YOU can't get around that fact.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Darth Thor
HAHAHA So Quanchi admits he was disappointed in TFA and that it's not his favourite or even 2nd favourite SW film, yet he's going around accusing me of being a Hater..

Oh the Bandwagon Troll really is an idiot. I've clearly messed with his head. He's obsessed with me. I admitted this right after I saw the film. I said its my third favorite thus it fell below my expectations. I didn't go around damning the film like you did though. I unlike you am honest and don't flip from Star Wars character to character like a Star Wars groupie. Dooku, Maul, now Vader. You're all over the map.

laughing out loud

quanchi112
Think you're missing the point. TFA was unoriginal in terms of Star Wars. TFA was a rehash of OT. YOU can't get around that fact. A New Hope wasn't original either. Whether you liked it or not is subjective. You can't get around this but continue to try.

Darth Thor
People who claim ANH wasn't Original are really desperate in their Lucas hate and support for Abrams.

ANH borrowed from here and there, but formed something Very Original in the process.

To compare that to Abrams copying SW to make a new SW film, is the argument of those who don't really get what made Star Wars so special and so beloved in the first place.

MS Warehouse
A New Hope wasn't original either. Whether you liked it or not is subjective. You can't get around this but continue to try.

Great attempts at rationalizing though thumb up

thumb up

FreshestSlice
I was willing to give New-EU a chance, as I saw the chance for three factions to be kind of interesting, but then the main saga blew up the entire government for the New Republic.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
I was willing to give New-EU a chance, as I saw the chance for three factions to be kind of interesting, but then the main saga blew up the entire government for the New Republic.

I found that really jarring..

"Like yeah! We finally have a new government in place!"

"Hey what's that?"

BOOM!

So all that time and effort, fighting the GE and establishing a new government entirely for nothing.

MS Warehouse
Abrams isn't known for his originality.

quanchi112
People who claim ANH wasn't Original are really desperate in their Lucas hate and support for Abrams.

ANH borrowed from here and there, but formed something Very Original in the process.

To compare that to Abrams copying SW to make a new SW film, is the argument of those who don't really get what made Star Wars so special and so beloved in the first place. You criticized force awakens for the same thing a new hope was guilty of.

They both borrowed a lot.

What made it special to you. You don't speak for anyone else. You never did understand that. I myself think a force awakens is way more enjoyable than a new hope. Get mad.

quanchi112
Great attempts at rationalizing though thumb up

thumb up Both copied. Who cares ? Force awakens was better than a new hope IMO. Your opinion isn't a fact.

MS Warehouse
Both copied. Who cares ? Force awakens was better than a new hope IMO. Your opinion isn't a fact.

No, both didn't copy. Copying elements from various other movies isn't the same as copying or rehashing the original version of the movie, no matter how much you want to rationalize or are butthurt about these "facts". Also ANH>TFA is pretty much universal. Stop crying.

carthage
Maybe around Kenobis level in the force or less

Hard to say

|King Joker|
what

quanchi112
No, both didn't copy. Copying elements from various other movies isn't the same as copying or rehashing the original version of the movie, no matter how much you want to rationalize or are butthurt about these "facts". Also ANH>TFA is pretty much universal. Stop crying. Both copied from other films. Fact. Did Skywalker beat Vader at the end of A New Hope ? They weren't the same film. Fact. Was Palpatine shown in a new hope ? Come on and answer the questions, psmith.

MS Warehouse
Both copied from other films. Fact. Did Skywalker beat Vader at the end of A New Hope ? They weren't the same film. Fact. Was Palpatine shown in a new hope ? Come on and answer the questions, psmith. I did. The universal attitude is that tfa is a rehash of anh. It doesn't have to be 100% similar. It can be 80% similar and be called a rehash. And it's pretty universal that tfa doesn't compare to anh.. Now stop crying because you liked such a stupid movie.

carthage
Originally posted by |King Joker|
what

I meant to post that in your Ventress thread . Sorry lol

quanchi112
I did. The universal attitude is that tfa is a rehash of anh. It doesn't have to be 100% similar. It can be 80% similar and be called a rehash. And it's pretty universal that tfa doesn't compare to anh.. Now stop crying because you liked such a stupid movie. I think for myself so I don't care if everyone on the planet said so I march to the beat of my own drum. It wasn't stupid but continue to hate it and ignore that it's an opinion not a fact.

Darth Thor
So because TFA didn't copy ANH line for line scene for scene, that somehow negates it being a rehash?

Jeez the bandwagon boy is truly confused. Abrams himself didn't even deny it was a rehash, and justified it being so Lol

And since Bandwagon boy already admitted he was Disappointed in the film, he's clearly just arguing out of a confusion due to his preemptive bandwagon jump not really working out the way it was supposed to.

Originally posted by Zenwolf
I found that really jarring..

"Like yeah! We finally have a new government in place!"

"Hey what's that?"

BOOM!

So all that time and effort, fighting the GE and establishing a new government entirely for nothing.

It was Abrams way of making the political climate back to almost the same position it was at back in the OT.

quanchi112
So because TFA didn't copy ANH line for line scene for scene, that somehow negates it being a rehash?

Jeez the bandwagon boy is truly confused. Abrams himself didn't even deny it was a rehash, and justified it being so Lol

And since Bandwagon boy already admitted he was Disappointed in the film, he's clearly just arguing out of a confusion due to his preemptive bandwagon jump not really working out the way it was supposed to.

It was Abrams way of making the political climate back to almost the same position it was at back in the OT. It copied as did ANH. I never said it didn't but I for one was definitely more entertained for TFA than ANH. It wasn't the best but it was the best start to a trilogy and I loved Snoke. Kylo had his moments as well already eclipsing Vader in evil IMO.

You hated the film I didn't. It's as simple as that, Abrams hater.

MS Warehouse
Lol, now we are haters.. Ok irrational fanboy, enjoy your awful taste in movies thumb up

quanchi112
Lol, now we are haters.. Ok irrational fanboy, enjoy your awful taste in movies thumb up You come across as one since you declared your opinion to be a fact. Quit letting this movie dictate your life.

The_Tempest
honestly tfa sucked imo, Beef's right on this one.

MS Warehouse
You come across as one since you declared your opinion to be a fact. Quit letting this movie dictate your life. oh cute, now youre parroting my insults because you're butthurt. That's pretty damn obvious laughing out loud

quanchi112
Originally posted by The_Tempest
honestly tfa sucked imo, Beef's right on this one. It is still an opinion even if it's a popular one.

quanchi112
oh cute, now youre parroting my insults because you're butthurt. That's pretty damn obvious laughing out loud This movie really raped your mind. I guess Kylo raped you as well with the force.

MS Warehouse
This movie really raped your mind. I guess Kylo raped you as well with the force. oh that's adorable. Butthurt followed by adolescent insults laughing out loud

quanchi112
oh that's adorable. Butthurt followed by adolescent insults laughing out loud Admit to me here and now that your opinion isn't a fact and I may let you walk away.

MS Warehouse
Admit to me here and now that your opinion isn't a fact and I may let you walk away.

Embarrassing yourself with your emotional butthurt isn't you letting me walk away, but good try thumb up

Zenwolf

It was Abrams way of making the political climate back to almost the same position it was at back in the OT.

I realize that but it was so.....like...what. I mean all the Emperor did in ANH was just dissolve the Senate. TFA, just blew up a whole government.

quanchi112
Embarrassing yourself with your emotional butthurt isn't you letting me walk away, but good try thumb up Projecting your time of the month onto me is priceless, psmith. Get over the fact you're wrong.

MS Warehouse
Projecting your time of the month onto me is priceless, psmith. Get over the fact you're wrong.

That's cute, keep repeating me to make yourself feel better about your hilariously poor taste in movies.

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/facebook/000/120/955/butthurt.jpg

quanchi112
Iyo but mine is clearly different. You're upset I called you out on your bs. You're a very insecure and weak person tbh.

FreshestSlice
I realize that but it was so.....like...what. I mean all the Emperor did in ANH was just dissolve the Senate. TFA, just blew up a whole government.
It essentially makes the Resistance the Rebel Alliance instead of a rogue faction. If the New Republic stayed around, there would be two governments and an "rogue" group instead of the Empire(pretty much) an the Rebels(definitely). Can't have all these bumps an uneven surfaces when making pottery.

Darth Thor

It had to. They didn't want a Republic. That would just be too Prequelish.

They wanted a Resistance against an Empire type thing again aka the OT.

Zenwolf
It had to. They didn't want a Republic. That would just be too Prequelish.

They wanted a Resistance against an Empire type thing again aka the OT.

Ya I know.

FreshestSlice
Disney ignoring just about everything in the PT should be expected at this point. I'm with Thor on this one. They've obviously been trying to distance themselves from it and anything in it, aside from what we see in Rebels.

Petrus
Legends.

quanchi112
I hope in time they will embrace the prequels and not try to distance themselves from it as much. Rots is awesome.

MS Warehouse
Iyo but mine is clearly different. You're upset I called you out on your bs. You're a very insecure and weak person tbh.

Yup, that's why I claimed you were incredibly butthurt, to which you responded with"no u" and are desperate to get the last word in thumb up

quanchi112
Yup, that's why I claimed you were incredibly butthurt, to which you responded with"no u" and are desperate to get the last word in thumb up You cited your opinion as a fact. It isn't. Your emotions are clouding your judgment, girl.

MS Warehouse
You cited your opinion as a fact. It isn't. Your emotions are clouding your judgment, girl.

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2b/86/62/2b8662ee1180dce8a9fc10015891fa78.jpg

The Ellimist
> says he's desperate to get the last word in
> ...keeps responding...to get the last word in

kek

MS Warehouse
> says he's desperate to get the last word in
> ...keeps responding...to get the last word in

kek

*Keeps responding because he knows quanchi will respond back*

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1320/13204927/2444945-5903787721-19123.jpg

quanchi112
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/2b/86/62/2b8662ee1180dce8a9fc10015891fa78.jpg So these are the characters you emulate. Kind of figured.

quanchi112
*Keeps responding because he knows quanchi will respond back*

http://static.gamespot.com/uploads/original/1320/13204927/2444945-5903787721-19123.jpg I like my post count so keep going. Guarantee you'll break before me, boy.

MS Warehouse
Like clockwork thumb up

chilled monkey
Legends easily. This is the continuity I grew up with and is awesome.

Disney "canon" is nothing more than a big fat cash cow that exists only so that the big fat corporate executives can get merchandising deals.

SunRazer
As of now, Legends, by far. Canon's finest distinct works pale in comparison to Legends' best.

NTJack0
I hope in time they will embrace the prequels and not try to distance themselves from it as much. Rots is awesome. I agree, they're cutting out so much material and lore by ignoring it, it's rather silly.

Trocity
You're a very insecure and weak person tbh.

thumb up

quanchi112
Like clockwork thumb up Yes, just like a clock you continue to remind us hour by hour you're insecure and very weak.

The Ellimist
Originally posted by Trocity
thumb up

I don't think I've ever seen anything like it, tbh.

MS Warehouse
That's cute. I get called insecure and weak by 1 guy who does nothing but troll and embarrasses himself, 1 guy who's so butthurt he has to resort to parroting, and 1 guy who averages XX posts daily and embarrasses himself.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kdOPBP9vuZA/hqdefault.jpg

quanchi112
That's cute. I get called insecure and weak by 1 guy who does nothing but troll and embarrasses himself, 1 guy who's so butthurt he has to resort to parroting, and 1 guy who averages XX posts daily and embarrasses himself.
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/kdOPBP9vuZA/hqdefault.jpg Other posters have confined your pathetic status. How many socks again did you create again to really put yourself on another level of pitiful ? 50 times ?

MS Warehouse
Other posters have confined your pathetic status. How many socks again did you create again to really put yourself on another level of pitiful ? 50 times ?

And other posters have laughed at your repeatedly hilarious yet sad butthurt towards TFA which you confirm with each subsequent post. Please keep crying and flinging out those insults, they're hilarious and make your transparecy even sadder laughing out loud

quanchi112
And other posters have laughed at your repeatedly hilarious yet sad butthurt towards TFA which you confirm with each subsequent post. Please keep crying and flinging out those insults, they're hilarious and make your transparecy even sadder laughing out loud The only thing I confirm is I have a fetish for getting the last word in and believe you me I'll get it in time. I already said I was disappointed but it was still the bronze medalist in my Star Wars opinion of films. Get over your own silly opinion is not a fact.

The Ellimist
Keep feeding on his insecurities, quanchi. You know every belittlement just stings him to the core, although he'll pretend to be amused. thumb up

MS Warehouse
The only thing I confirm is I have a fetish for getting the last word in and believe you me I'll get it in time. I already said I was disappointed but it was still the bronze medalist in my Star Wars opinion of films. Get over your own silly opinion is not a fact.

Ouch. Still upset that my opinion is fact, huh?

http://www.joeclifford.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/mean_face1.jpg

quanchi112
Your opinion is only delusion. I am trying to help you my wayward son.

MS Warehouse
Your opinion is only delusion. I am trying to help you my wayward son.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lbLzcF9WMBw/hqdefault.jpg

XSUPREMEXSKILLZ
Legends stomps.

quanchi112
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/lbLzcF9WMBw/hqdefault.jpg So you concede. Good.

Zentrex
bump

relentless1
Legends, much richer history even though the dark empire stuff is pretty weak, still better than the sequels

Psychotron
The only good thing about Disney canon is Vader. The rest is consistently bland. At least the old EU had the ancient and the Old Republic era. Oh, and Kyle Katarn.

Total Warrior
Legends had far more content, it's kinda unfair

Zentrex
Just to get some diversity of opinion in here, I'll give a few examples of things Canon has already done better than Legends:

- A much easier understanding of what is and isn't canon.

- No aged and cringey material like references to the Holiday Special (I mean, sort of...). All authors are fairly on board with what makes sense in this universe, but before we had things like Devilsworld and the Corsair being able to cause supernovas.

- Fortress Vader is basically a mix of Bast Castle and Vader's Coruscant palace and retreat with much more atmosphere

- Connective tissue between media (such as Palpatine's Contingency, The Battle of Jakku, the Uprising) being a free-for-all for authors while still having a decent amount of supervision, unlike the old multimedia projects.

- Galaxy's Edge themepark

- More money/resources to put into making films

- Virtual Reality

- The ability to cherrypick elements that worked in the old canon and essentially cleaning up Legends of all the cringey elements.

Don't get me wrong, I would still pick Legends. It was more creative and Canon is just a sea of missed opportunities and a pale imitation of Legends. But this was just to raise a few points about things it did well.

Galan007
Legends had a LOT more content(much of which was really good), so I'd go with that in general.

And though canon has been absolute garbage on the film side of things, I do like a lot of the material we've been given in the comics and novels.

McP
Luceno's "Darth Plagueis", "Labirynth of Evil", "Cloak of Deception" and "DL: The Rise of Darth Vader" are alone better then everything that Disney ever created in that universe. Adding Republic comic series, Jedi comic series and Obssesion is stomping the whole new canon.

Galan007
Depends on your tastes, and those are all great choices for sure... Though Dark Rendezvous will always be #1 in Legends for me. thumb up

That being said, I would personally put novels like the new Thrawn trilogy, Lords of the Sith, Master & Apprentice, Jedi Lost, and Catalyst...as well as many of the canon comics(like Darth Vader v1-v2, the main Star Wars series, Shattered Empire, SoD, etc.)...right up there with the best of Legends.

Say what you will about Disney, but the stuff I mentioned is really good.

Zentrex
Originally posted by Galan007
Depends on your tastes, and those are all great choices for sure... Though Dark Rendezvous will always be #1 in Legends for me. thumb up

That being said, I would personally put novels like the new Thrawn trilogy, Lords of the Sith, Master & Apprentice, Jedi Lost, and Catalyst...as well as many of the canon comics(like Darth Vader v1-v2, the main Star Wars series, Shattered Empire, SoD, etc.)...right up there with the best of Legends.

Say what you will about Disney, but the stuff I mentioned is really good.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.