Justice Department says it will end use of private prisons - Washington Post

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/08/18/justice-department-says-it-will-end-use-of-private-prisons/?postshare=4051471534432586&tid=ss_tw-bottom&utm_term=.3630e70533a9

Good idea? Bad idea?

Surtur
They finally figured out these "for profit" prisons are probably not such a good idea? Wow.

Raisen
Great idea. I know this on a personal level

riv6672
Originally posted by Surtur
They finally figured out these "for profit" prisons are probably not such a good idea? Wow.
I guess so.

Flyattractor
There was MONEY to be Made LEGALLY by running a Prison!?

WHY AM I JUST NOW LEARNING THIS!?

snowdragon
Land of the free

Highest per capita incarceration rate in the world, so might be corporate prisons failed along with some additional legislation in there.

Surtur
Originally posted by Flyattractor

Be honest: would it have really changed anything and caused you to free those people you keep in your basement? Btw just a reminder people can only go so long without water so you should stay on top of that.

cdtm
Originally posted by Flyattractor

They're only really profitable if you give kickbacks to judges to fill your prisons.

Like so.

Of course, these are the people who get caught. Odds are, many, many more got away with it and profited heavily.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Surtur
Be honest: would it have really changed anything and caused you to free those people you keep in your basement? Btw just a reminder people can only go so long without water so you should stay on top of that.

The PEOPLE in my Basement surve an diff purpose then for financial gain....
Originally posted by cdtm
They're only really profitable if you give kickbacks to judges to fill your prisons.

Like so.

Of course, these are the people who get caught. Odds are, many, many more got away with it and profited heavily.

I aint givin no LIBERAL JUDGE MY MONEY! They can go steal their own.

Astner
Food and shelter in exchange for forced labor. Where have I heard this before?

Surtur
Originally posted by Astner
Food and shelter in exchange for forced labor. Where have I heard this before?

Well man the answer to your question is..you've heard this all throughout history.

Ascendancy
Not surprising, but there's still a long way to go. The Federal Government still pays for both massive privately owned regional jails and state prisons. Quite the business, especially for the states that know what they're doing. Virginia, for instance, has or currently does import prisoners from Pennsylvania, Wyoming, California, The Virgin Islands, and a few other locales in exchange for both money from those states and additional Federal funds.

As mentioned above, we have the highest per capita prison population, and it ain't cause America is the most criminally-minded population on earth. Peonage finally ended around 1958 I believe and after that the powers that be just found yet another way to stay rich by locking people up. The only silver lining is that it seems a number of wardens and government officials that have actually witnessed certain European prisons in action are pushing for real reform to move towards correction during incarceration and one would hope as well more steps towards prevention rather than only prosecution after the fact.

riv6672
^^^Interesting.

I'd forgotten about this thread.

Lord Lucien
Not likely.

riv6672
You're a cute little sock. smile

Lord Lucien
I don't think you know what a sock is. But this is why you "love the internet." Because you're so good at it!

riv6672
I'll just figure you're agreeing with me.

Ascendancy
Also kudos on the government actually intelligently cutting spending. That said, let's hope that in days to come they look at things in the long view rather than throwing funding at programs just because the right politicians and lobbyists tout them up. I'm not sure if privately run prisons and jails actually even presented as a lower cost alternative at the start, or at least something that would be more effective at correction and providing inmate safety, but I'm doubtful on all accounts that if so it was more than a cursory presentation in that regard.

Robtard
Studies show that there are 18.75% less anal rapes in private prisons compared to Federal

riv6672
Originally posted by Robtard
Studies show that there are 18.75% less anal rapes in private prisons compared to Federal
http://i.imgur.com/gmg8Lbn.jpg

Flyattractor
Robbie was in on the test studies.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.