Luke Cage vs Hellboy

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Tattoos N Scars
This is strictly h2h fight. They meet up in Hell's Kitchen and throw down. Both bloodlusted.

Henry_Pym
Hellboy

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
Hellboy thumb up

Kazenji
Hellboy

Khazra Reborn
Red stomps.

FrothByte
Why? Why does Hellboy win?

juggerman
He's been hit harder than Cage can match and been fine. Plus he's likely strong enough to hurt Cage

FrothByte
Originally posted by juggerman
He's been hit harder than Cage can match and been fine. Plus he's likely strong enough to hurt Cage

You think Hellboy will survive getting shot point blank multiple times? You think he can hurt Cage by punching him with his regular hand?

Kazenji
Or he could just punch him with his right hand as it is part of him.

juggerman
Originally posted by FrothByte
You think Hellboy will survive getting shot point blank multiple times? You think he can hurt Cage by punching him with his regular hand?

Cage doesn't have a gun here. And I'm not 100% on if he can hurt him with his small hand but the Hand of Doom is enough

FrothByte
Originally posted by juggerman
Cage doesn't have a gun here. And I'm not 100% on if he can hurt him with his small hand but the Hand of Doom is enough

The hand of doom is but 1 hand, whereas Cage has both arms and legs to do damage with. I brought up the gun question because Cage is quite solidly bulletproof whereas Hellboy is not, which seems to point to Cage being the more durable of the 2.

juggerman
The hand of doom is but 1 hand, whereas Cage has both arms and legs to do damage with. I brought up the gun question because Cage is quite solidly bulletproof whereas Hellboy is not, which seems to point to Cage being the more durable of the 2.

Right but Cage can't produce the amount to abuse HB has endured and not been KO'd by whereas HB can hit just as hard (likely much harder) than Diamondback. And HB has more blunt force durability than piercing durability. And seeing as how Cage is unarmed, it wouldn't matter about him not being able to tank bullets

Kazenji
Has Hellboy even been shot by guns in the movies?....been a while since i've watched them.

Khazra Reborn
Cage has better piercing durability, but Red can take a lot more blunt force trauma. At the end of the first Hellboy movie, that grenade belt with at least 5 grenades attached to it exploded while it was in Red's hands, and it didn't hurt him in the slightest.

Where as a shot gun blast to the head put Cage in a coma.

Besides that, Red is a lot more agile, and fights with more skill, as opposed to Cage who typically just leads with his chin.

TheVaultDweller
It was more than simply a shotgun blast to the head. It was a pointblank shot behind the chin bone, basically aimed directly at the base of his brain. And even then, it is a low-end compared to things like the SUV impact, bar explosion, and rocket launcher + building collapse, the last of which did KO him for a bit, but did no lasting damage. In fact, with the exception of the bar explosion, most of Luke's JJ showings are shit compared to his own series. I would also like to just point out that Diamondback did little real damage to Luke in anyways. And that was even though Luke was trying to talk him down at multiple points in the fight, and clearly didn't want to seriously harm him. And that fight was dumb as f*** in anyways. In any realistic scenario, he would have just pulled off the helmet and tapped him on the head, or pulled the giant, flashing power pack off his back.

That being said, I do think Hellboy takes it. He does have very good blunt force resistance, the Hand of Doom is able to flip a car by hitting its front end (which is technically damn near impossible, but whatever), and he is a faster and more skilled fighter than Luke is.

FrothByte
Let's not forget that Hellboy got beat up by Krauss by simply slamming locker doors at him. Sure it didn't injure him at all but it still hurt him and was enough to put him on his ass. Cage wouldn't even have flinched from such an attack.

HB's hand of doom is strong and durable enough to take on Cage but the rest of HB's body isn't. If you disagree with me then ask yourself this: Do you think HB can stop a speeding SUV WITHOUT the use of his hand of doom?

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Kazenji
Has Hellboy even been shot by guns in the movies?....been a while since i've watched them.

I can't recall a specific instance of him being shot, but Nuada was able to stab him with a spear, so make of that what you will.

Khazra Reborn
Let's not forget that Hellboy got beat up by Krauss by simply slamming locker doors at him. Sure it didn't injure him at all but it still hurt him and was enough to put him on his ass. Cage wouldn't even have flinched from such an attack.
That was clearly intended as comedic relief, Red has taken way worse without damage. I.e getting hit by a train.

HB's hand of doom is strong and durable enough to take on Cage but the rest of HB's body isn't. If you disagree with me then ask yourself this: Do you think HB can stop a speeding SUV WITHOUT the use of his hand of doom?

If he put his whole body into it like Cage? Yes.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn

That was clearly intended as comedic relief, Red has taken way worse without damage. I.e getting hit by a train.

If he put his whole body into it like Cage? Yes.

So you think HB can shoulder block a speeding SUV and stop it?

Ok, I guess if that's how you feel about HB then I understand why you think he'd win. Personally, I just don't see him accomplishing it. He'll probably survive getting hit by the SUV but I don't see him being strong enough to stop it in its tracks.

As for comic relief, yes it was done in humor but that doesn't change the fact that Hellboy doesn't exactly shrug off physical attacks as easily as Cage does. I mean, Cage can knock out a person with a light slap on their head. I can't see HB replicating that unless he uses his rock hand.

Esau Cairn

You keep referring to HB's Hand Of Doom like it's a seperate entity altogether. Like it's an unfair advantage & not acknowledging that it's part of what makes HellBoy who he is.

If HellBoy is capable of making "Hulk-like" leaps (as depicted by witness accounts in 1st movie) then his body would be durable enough to survive the impact of the landing...in this case, yes he would also be able to survive the impact of a speeding SUV without the use of his Hand Of Doom.

I'll further speculate that if HellBoy grew his horns back, they'd be "magically/mystically" be strong enough to penetrate Luke's flesh.

TheVaultDweller
The question wasn't survive an SUV impact. It was stop an SUV in its tracks. Like Luke did. Also, Jessica Jones can make super "leaps", and drop multiple stories without injury, yet an impact with a truck messed up her ribs. And the bit about the horns is pure speculation. If you actually want to use that as part of the argument here, you would need to prove it. Never mind that unbroken horns aren't standard.

Also, the people who brought up the shotgun as an argument against Luke... How well do you think Hellboy would have done, taking a pointblank shot behind the chin, especially considering we have seen him pierced before? The shotgun, even as a low-end for Luke, is not a good argument for Red in this match. And, as has been pointed out by others, there are no guns in this thread.

Not changing my vote, but I feel like both sides are not getting fair representation.

Khazra Reborn
Red got run over by a train, and it didn't hurt him, I think it's safe to say his durability is beyond Jones'.

I only brought up the shot gun blast to represent the difference in blunt force the two of these guys have taken. Yeah, Red is easier to pierce, but how do you think Luke would respond to that grenade belt exploding in his hands? He'd probably be out for a week.

Even in regards to piercing, Red has only been stabbed by mystical items, what effect (if any) regular things, like bullets would have on him is pretty unknown. Plus, judging by his HF, getting shot wouldn't be that big of a deal anyways, even if they could pierce him.

TheVaultDweller
Red got run over by a train, and it didn't hurt him, I think it's safe to say his durability is beyond Jones'.

That was to point out that someone being able to take falls does not mean they can take large objects impacting them in the same way. I've already pointed out that I think Red has good enough durability feats to get him a win here.

I only brought up the shot gun blast to represent the difference in blunt force the two of these guys have taken. Yeah, Red is easier to pierce, but how do you think Luke would respond to that grenade belt exploding in his hands? He'd probably be out for a week.

Except it's a single low-end, when Luke has a bunch of other, better feats. And, see, there we disagree. If standing in an exploding bar did absolutely nothing to him, and getting hit by a rocket launcher, followed by a building collapse, could only KO him for a brief period, I do not see some grenades knocking him out for a week. Not even close. I mean you are trying to compare the shotgun blast with an explosion, while ignoring his actual feats against explosions.

Even in regards to piercing, Red has only been stabbed by mystical items, what effect (if any) regular things, like bullets would have on him is pretty unknown. Plus, judging by his HF, getting shot wouldn't be that big of a deal anyways, even if they could pierce him.

We don't know how "mystical" that weapon was. I don't recall it showcasing magical properties in combat. The point is that we DO know that Luke can take those things without any issues. But anyway, moot point. Neither Luke nor Hellboy have guns here.

FrothByte
HB didn't get "run over by a train" as in he was under the wheels or anything. He got hit by the train and then stayed underneath with only his horns getting hit. It was a good feat but not as impressive as you make it sound.

And people want to keep bringing up Luke getting KO'd by a shotgun under the chin then I'll keep bringing up HB getting beat up by a bunch of locker doors. It's not like HB can survive a shotgun blast under the chin either.

juggerman
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
We don't know how "mystical" that weapon was. I don't recall it showcasing magical properties in combat. The point is that we DO know that Luke can take those things without any issues. But anyway, moot point. Neither Luke nor Hellboy have guns here.

After he was stabbed by the spear the shard grew whenever someone tried to remove it. I'd say it was mystical in nature as that is certainly not normal

Khazra Reborn
HB didn't get "run over by a train" as in he was under the wheels or anything. He got hit by the train and then stayed underneath with only his horns getting hit. It was a good feat but not as impressive as you make it sound.

And people want to keep bringing up Luke getting KO'd by a shotgun under the chin then I'll keep bringing up HB getting beat up by a bunch of locker doors. It's not like HB can survive a shotgun blast under the chin either.

You're arguing semantics, he took the full force of a speeding train straight to the chest, then the under carriage hit him in the face multiple times. Whether you want to consider that "run over" or not isn't super relevant to the conversation.

The locker doors vs. shot gun isn't really the same level of thing though, one put a guy in a coma for a day, and the other did nothing other than startle the other, for comedic effect no less.

FrothByte
You're arguing semantics, he took the full force of a speeding train straight to the chest, then the under carriage hit him in the face multiple times. Whether you want to consider that "run over" or not isn't super relevant to the conversation.

The locker doors vs. shot gun isn't really the same level of thing though, one put a guy in a coma for a day, and the other did nothing other than startle the other, for comedic effect no less.

You're right, a shotgun blast is way more powerful than locker doors. And a shotgun blast to the face would have killed HB whereas Cage would just shrug off the locker doors.

So basically HB got hit by a train but not exactly run over. He got hit in the horns, maybe a bit in the face, but that's really nothing Cage can't handle. Can you say that HB can survive a missile?

Khazra Reborn
You're right, a shotgun blast is way more powerful than locker doors. And a shotgun blast to the face would have killed HB whereas Cage would just shrug off the locker doors.

So basically HB got hit by a train but not exactly run over. He got hit in the horns, maybe a bit in the face, but that's really nothing Cage can't handle. Can you say that HB can survive a missile?

No it wouldn't kill him, I don't know how familiar you are with Hellboy, but there's one way to kill him, and it's not shooting him in the face with a shotgun. Whether it would KO him or not is a different story, but based on the amount a trauma he's taken I would say that it wouldn't.

Cage may be able to live through the train ordeal, but you can't just say he'd be able to handle it no problem, he's done nothing to suggest that he'd no sell a train going full speed hitting him directly.

Survive a missile in the same way Cage did? Absolutely, Red has eaten worse explosions that. The missile didn't even hit Cage, it just blew up the building he was in, Hell an old lady survived it.

FrothByte
No it wouldn't kill him, I don't know how familiar you are with Hellboy, but there's one way to kill him, and it's not shooting him in the face with a shotgun. Whether it would KO him or not is a different story, but based on the amount a trauma he's taken I would say that it wouldn't.

Cage may be able to live through the train ordeal, but you can't just say he'd be able to handle it no problem, he's done nothing to suggest that he'd no sell a train going full speed hitting him directly.

Survive a missile in the same way Cage did? Absolutely, Red has eaten worse explosions that. The missile didn't even hit Cage, it just blew up the building he was in, Hell an old lady survived it.

Ok hold on. You're saying that a HB can tank a shotgun fired underneath his chin? Do you even have any proof of that or are you pulling this out from thin air?

TheVaultDweller
Just a few things:

1. Cage woke up immediately after Kilgrave got his neck snapped. So there was more to him being unconscious than physical trauma.

2. Luke specifically mentioned that he protected the old lady from harm, during the rocket launcher/building collapse scene.

Khazra Reborn
Ok hold on. You're saying that a HB can tank a shotgun fired underneath his chin? Do you even have any proof of that or are you pulling this out from thin air?

I don't think he'd tank it, it'd at best hurt him really bad, and at worst put him in the same state as Cage. I just wanted to dispel the notion that it would kill him.

But Red has eaten some pretty big impacts, so who knows

TheVaultDweller
I don't really see the point in this line of debate in anyways. No one is packing a shotgun, or a rocket launcher, or any kind of ranged weapon here. Best to compare blunt force feats instead.

Khazra Reborn
^ True.

Esau Cairn

If standing in an exploding bar did absolutely nothing to him, and getting hit by a rocket launcher, followed by a building collapse, could only KO him for a brief period,

You're forgetting a frail old lady survived all that too.
Kinda makes it a less impressive feat for Cage.

Didn't HB get swallowed by that creature at the end of the 1st movie & fight his way out?

If acid "softens" Cage's flesh then he wouldn't survive too long inside the digestive tract of the creature.

Proving HB is more impervious than Cage.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
You're forgetting a frail old lady survived all that too.
Kinda makes it a less impressive feat for Cage.

Not forgetting it at all. Already been addressed, both in the show, and in this thread. Again, Cage specifically mentioned that he kept her out of harm's way. It was a required part of the plot that he saved her life, as it got him headlines, and made people in Harlem more aware of him. The explosion made a massive fireball, blew out the front walls of the shop, and caused the entire building to collapse. So let's not try to downplay things here.

Originally posted by Esau Cairn

Didn't HB get swallowed by that creature at the end of the 1st movie & fight his way out?

If acid "softens" Cage's flesh then he wouldn't survive too long inside the digestive tract of the creature.

Proving HB is more impervious than Cage.

You are omitting some key details there. They had to submerge him in acid, then add extra chemicals, then heat it to a specific temperature, and then keep him submerged for like a minute or two, before it even started to work. So no, it does not prove that at all. Not to mention that not all acids are equally strong.

Esau Cairn
LOL gimme a break ok!
I'm pretty new when it comes to Vs Threads.

TheVaultDweller
lol, Sorry, didn't mean to be too intense. And I still think Hellboy wins in anyways. This thread actually inspired me to rewatch the one film (that, and most of the other things I watch was on break this week. F*** you TV scheduling). Hellboy has some really decent blunt force feats, like a multi-story fall that flattened a car, that only affected him for like 10 seconds or so. Plus, his actual fighting speed/agility is noticeably better than Luke's.

Newjak
Hellboy has the best durability feats of two. If for no other reason then he was able to get hit in the head by a train speeding over top of him. He did it repeatedly as well without sustain injury.

FrothByte
I don't really see the point in this line of debate in anyways. No one is packing a shotgun, or a rocket launcher, or any kind of ranged weapon here. Best to compare blunt force feats instead.

It's useful to discuss because being able to survive gunshots and a rocket launcher is a huge durability feat especially when the opponent doesn't have such feats.

Gunfire and explosives aren't just penetration attacks either. Even with bulletproof vests, people who get shot are usually knocked down, knocked out and may suffer broken ribs even when the bullet doesn't penetrate. That goes to show that bullets pack quite a lot of impact force. Cage doesn't even flinch when he gets shot at with firearms. And of course, explosives will have quite a lot of concussive force.

IIRC, Hellboy has actually ducked for cover from gunfire. I'll need to rewatch the movies to be sure though. Bottom line is, as much as Cage doesn't have feats of getting thrown about by monsters, HB also doesn't have feats of tanking guns and rocket launchers like Cage did. It doesn't seem fair that we only consider HB's feats valid while disregarding Cage's feats just because there are no guns in this fight.

FrothByte
Originally posted by Newjak
Hellboy has the best durability feats of two. If for no other reason then he was able to get hit in the head by a train speeding over top of him. He did it repeatedly as well without sustain injury.

But Cage has far better strength feats though.

TheVaultDweller
It's useful to discuss because being able to survive gunshots and a rocket launcher is a huge durability feat especially when the opponent doesn't have such feats.

Gunfire and explosives aren't just penetration attacks either. Even with bulletproof vests, people who get shot are usually knocked down, knocked out and may suffer broken ribs even when the bullet doesn't penetrate. That goes to show that bullets pack quite a lot of impact force. Cage doesn't even flinch when he gets shot at with firearms. And of course, explosives will have quite a lot of concussive force.

IIRC, Hellboy has actually ducked for cover from gunfire. I'll need to rewatch the movies to be sure though. Bottom line is, as much as Cage doesn't have feats of getting thrown about by monsters, HB also doesn't have feats of tanking guns and rocket launchers like Cage did. It doesn't seem fair that we only consider HB's feats valid while disregarding Cage's feats just because there are no guns in this fight.

Fair enough. Hellboy does have a ton of blunt force trauma feats though.

And that really is the weak point for Cage in these debates. His opponents have been pretty mediocre overall. It's been mooks with guns, Jessica (who he didn't want to fight, and he was trying to resist Kilgrave's control), and Diamondback, in one of the dumbest fights I have seen in the MCU, to date, and who he also didn't want to seriously harm.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.