Daredevil vs Judge dredd in Law knowledge

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dareangel
who knows the law better? matt or dredd?

RealityWarper
It's a tie I think.

Judge Dredd isn't just a Cop. He is by definition a Judge and that means that, in Omega City One, he is the law.

Daredevil perfectly knows how the law works in our world.

LGU
Not exactly an apples to apples comparison as their respective laws are completely different.

Dredd had every letter of the law literally bred into his brain during his cloning/ageing process so there's nothing about his version of the law that he doesn't know FWIW.

Cheers.

Galan007
^ I'd also wager that Mega-City One's laws are far more abundant(and complex) than those of mainstream Marvel earth, given that Judges serve as judge/jury/executioner due to the city's absurd overpopulation.

...And like you said: Dredd knows EVERY last detail of EVERY last law.

psycho gundam
Is there going to be a Dredd 2 film? It'd be a shame if there wasn't

Galan007
I f*cking hope so. Really enjoyed that film... Holds up great with repeated viewings as well. thumb up

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Galan007
^ I'd also wager that Mega-City One's laws are far more abundant(and complex) than those of mainstream Marvel earth, given that Judges serve as judge/jury/executioner due to the city's absurd overpopulation.

...And like you said: Dredd knows EVERY last detail of EVERY last law.

Or, everything is given the sentence of 30 years in jail, or death, lol.

Galan007
http://i.imgur.com/ClE4gfJ.jpg

JayDaDon
True, ive never seen community service offered in mega city one lol

..seriously tho i find the world of dredd more and more interesting as I read into it and now really phukking want to see dredd 2 or a series.

Galan007
^ Dunno about community service, but I have seen Dredd divvy-out sentences for lesser infractions on several occasions. One that comes to mind is when he sentenced a citizen to a month in the iso-cubes for littering.

riv6672
^^^From the movie:

Khazra Reborn
Despite it's simplicity, 2012 Dredd is pretty much the best comic book movie ever.

riv6672
Its up there, yeah. Definitely one of MY top picks.

Kazenji
Originally posted by psycho gundam
Is there going to be a Dredd 2 film? It'd be a shame if there wasn't

Not sure about the sequel happening, But they have been doing Dredd stories set within that world from the movie.

golem370
Where is She Hulk?

Dareangel
also it seems like dredd is more about criminal law. but the LAW is beyond only criminal or even law of torts. wonder if dredd or matt know the law of succession or the Family LAW. they probably do but would really be interesting. seeing judge dredd walking down the street and a couple asking him to rule as a judge about child support and devision of property. and dredd will be like ***** you are abstracting the LAW by preventing me from stopping a commited crime right now. you get 5 years.

cdtm
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Or, everything is given the sentence of 30 years in jail, or death, lol.

And the odd banishment from Earth via rocket.

The fate of poor "not Wily Wonka" for making candy so addicting, even the crime computer kept asking for samples.

Dareangel
i think he just makes up the punishment on spot 0_0

riv6672
^^^nope.

Dareangel
Originally posted by riv6672
^^^nope.

did you ever see the Penal Code of that universe? i mean nobody ever question dredd about the Law Sections he is accusing with. i dont think most of those criminals really know the law. it would be funny if someone actually question him like what? section 3.5? what are you talking about dredd? thats the section about witnessing a crime and being detained for questioning on spot. what death penalty are you talking about.

Kazenji
I remember in a story a while back Dredd was getting desperate to catch some guy for a crime and looking for the right evidence etc.....went as low as making up something about the tags off some pillows he owned were removed and another judge pulled him up on it.

Dareangel
Originally posted by Kazenji
I remember in a story a while back Dredd was getting desperate to catch some guy for a crime and looking for the right evidence etc.....went as low as making up something about the tags off some pillows he owned were removed and another judge pulled him up on it.

Lol see? thats my point. i think he makes things up sometimes. i mean Death penalty for ressisting arrest? 3 weeks for vergancy??? like wtf you are walking down the street after a club and bam, dredd is there. you are going to prison for 3 weeks for that? and then you will be like what? wait what prison i am just walking down the street late at night after being in a club. oh now you are ressisting arrest death.

riv6672
Originally posted by Dareangel
did you ever see the Penal Code of that universe?
Yes.
http://judgedredd.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-Crime_Code

...i mean nobody ever question dredd about the Law Sections he is accusing with.
See below.
Originally posted by Kazenji
...i dont think most of those criminals really know the law.
1. Not his fault.
2. Most law breakers dont.
3. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

staxamillion
I think the whole premise of dredd is to have such an overpopulated world that death and super harsh penalties are the only deterrent and most efficient.

I think they are trying to create a perfect society by rooting out all but the rich and the (just?!?) because there cant be nearly enough resources and jobs for everyone. for the most part dredd follows the letter of the law but he will cut corners if necessary.

Dareangel
Yes.
http://judgedredd.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-Crime_Code

See below.

1. Not his fault.
2. Most law breakers dont.
3. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

thats not a complete penal code. where are the procedure rules. not only as far as crimes but also the defences. like under age defence or self defence, or not being in control for the actions.

of course not knowing the law doesnt release you from standing trial. my point however is that maybe they dont even know if he is correct about the law or not. i mean when you santance someone to death, you better make sure you are following the exact law. also, where is the explanation of the criterias for a murder. the actus reus the mans rea for it. yeah i know its comics but could be cool to have it

Dareangel
Originally posted by staxamillion
I think the whole premise of dredd is to have such an overpopulated world that death and super harsh penalties are the only deterrent and most efficient.

I think they are trying to create a perfect society by rooting out all but the rich and the (just?!?) because there cant be nearly enough resources and jobs for everyone. for the most part dredd follows the letter of the law but he will cut corners if necessary.

there is a limit as to how harsh the panlties can be before people will riot and not play along with the law. thats the Garry baker theory. he said that when a criminal is considering to commit felony or not to commit, the deterrence he see in front of him is the punishementXthe probability to get caught. now the question where does it stand as far as his value to the benefit he get from the crime. Baker suggested to lower the costs of the enforcement which will lower taxes, and instead get higher punishement. lets say the criminal values the robbery as 50 and the punishement of being in prison for X years is 100 to him and the probability to get captures is 55%. that means he wont do the crime. of course there are many factors but they are all taken into account in the example numbers. now, if we decrease the % to get caught by less law enforcement, but increase the punishement he still wont do the crime because more years in prison or death costs more to him. however, there is a limit as to how far you can push the punishment because if for every felony you do, you get a very harsh punishement it wont make a difference to you and you will stop playing by the law. the deterrence will lose its value. so i dont think they use a very smart method if thats the plan.

Galan007
did you ever see the Penal Code of that universe? i mean nobody ever question dredd about the Law Sections he is accusing with. i dont think most of those criminals really know the law. it would be funny if someone actually question him like what? section 3.5? what are you talking about dredd? thats the section about witnessing a crime and being detained for questioning on spot. what death penalty are you talking about. "Crime: arguing with a Judge. Sentence: Death!"

http://i.imgur.com/254ooLX.gif

Dareangel
Originally posted by Galan007
"Arguing with a Judge. Sentence: Death!"

Lol. i will ask for a judge disqualification based on prejudice decisions. wonder how similar is their law to the real one.

staxamillion
there is a limit as to how harsh the panlties can be before people will riot and not play along with the law. thats the Garry baker theory. he said that when a criminal is considering to commit felony or not to commit, the deterrence he see in front of him is the punishementXthe probability to get caught. now the question where does it stand as far as his value to the benefit he get from the crime. Baker suggested to lower the costs of the enforcement which will lower taxes, and instead get higher punishement. lets say the criminal values the robbery as 50 and the punishement of being in prison for X years is 100 to him and the probability to get captures is 55%. that means he wont do the crime. of course there are many factors but they are all taken into account in the example numbers. now, if we decrease the % to get caught by less law enforcement, but increase the punishement he still wont do the crime because more years in prison or death costs more to him. however, there is a limit as to how far you can push the punishment because if for every felony you do, you get a very harsh punishement it wont make a difference to you and you will stop playing by the law. the deterrence will lose its value. so i dont think they use a very smart method if thats the plan.

I kinda thinks that's the point. that what I always think when I read/watch dredd anyways.

I always feel like dredd represents an ideal in a hopeless situation

Dareangel
i think that for me at least, judge dredd comics answered a debate jurists always have. is the Law system reflecting the face of society, or is it the other way around. judge dredd answered the question and i actually agree with the answer. the law reflects the society. unless we are talking about colonial countries, which usually use the british law system because of the past. but even in those countries we see changes in many main subjects.

riv6672
thats not a complete penal code.
did you ever see the Penal Code of that universe?

Quitcher bicthing.
You're like one of those shirtless guys on the old COPS Tv Show who'd get run down by police and start arguing "the law" with them like you had a leg to stand on. laughing

Dareangel
Quitcher bicthing.
You're like one of those shirtless guys on the old COPS Tv Show who'd get run down by police and start arguing "the law" with them like you had a leg to stand on. laughing

but i am right. this is not a complete penal code. and whats wrong with knowing the law? knowing the law and your rights in many cases can prevent a violation of your rights.

Dareangel
but yeah this is comics. i took it too serious Lol. i was just wondering about their system because it doesnt seem like dredd is using evidence or examines the defences too much.

staxamillion
yeah that's kinda why I figured the law was mainly to keep population down since the judge could kill for what seems like little things.

you probably get 3 years in an isocube for jaywalking and if you try to run away they shoot you.

Dareangel
But Judge dredd is cool. the latest movie was very cool. i just wonder why arent they releasing a new one. this time its batman from the future vs dredd.

staxamillion
yeah that's kinda why I figured the law was mainly to keep population down since the judge could kill for what seems like little things.

you probably get 3 years in an isocube for jaywalking and if you try to run away they shoot you.

i think a dredd vs 2099 (marvel continuity would be cool)

Surtur
This pretty much tells you who will win:

q6cyDsuNx_U

staxamillion
Murdock merely adopted the law, Dredd was born it... molded by it...

Dareangel
dredd is in-love with the Criminal Law. of course he is... its one of the easiest to learn. lets see him handle corporation and property laws or Taxing law. chose himself the easy life.

staxamillion
i thought dredd was genetically created and programmed to know all law and be infallible in all questions when it comes to laws, adjudication, and sentencing.

plus i think Daredevil only has a license to practice law in New York. im sure Murdock only has specialties in criminal law and probably the US constitution but i doubt he could rattle off uncommon esoteric laws like it being illegal to keep an ice cream cone in your back pocket in Kentucky.

https://www.louisville.com/sites/default/files/u4353/icecream.jpg

JayDaDon
but yeah this is comics. i took it too serious Lol. i was just wondering about their system because it doesnt seem like dredd is using evidence or examines the defences too much.

I think it would be very easy and interesting to have a story where the Judges and the Hall of Justice are the villains and we have a sort of uprising in MC1. I feel like they ride such a razor's edge of being fascist villains it would be easy to tell that kind of story. I don't know if they have already, the more knowledgeable Dredd fans may know.

staxamillion
Originally posted by JayDaDon
I think it would be very easy and interesting to have a story where the Judges and the Hall of Justice are the villains and we have a sort of uprising in MC1. I feel like they ride such a razor's edge of being fascist villains it would be easy to tell that kind of story. I don't know if they have already, the more knowledgeable Dredd fans may know.

they could easily do this. im not a huge Dredd head but i could e it. like a story from the pov of faction of freedom fighters. they'd have battles with judges and have a small political movement

JayDaDon
I mean...there's gotta be a lot of people caught in the middle just trying to live a good life getting absolutely phucked in MC1.

Galan007
Originally posted by JayDaDon
I think it would be very easy and interesting to have a story where the Judges and the Hall of Justice are the villains and we have a sort of uprising in MC1. This type of premise has occurred a few times. Most notably in "America" and "Red Razors".

"America" is particularly esteemed because it is set from the POV of 2 normal citizens caught in a war of Judges and whatnot. thumb up

JayDaDon
Nice. It is a story element that's RIGHT under the nose of the original premise so I thought they had to have atleast flirted with it. I gotta check those out.

riv6672
but i am right...
Inner Circle's 'Bad Boys' starts playing
...this is not a complete penal code. and whats wrong with knowing the law? knowing the law and your rights in many cases can prevent a violation of your rights.

Put a shirt on.

Kazenji
Got that "America" story haven't read it, Been getting the Judge Dredd Mega Collection.

Sin I AM
Originally posted by golem370
Where is She Hulk?

ikr

Dareangel
t being illegal to keep an ice cream cone in your back pocket in Kentucky.

https://www.louisville.com/sites/default/files/u4353/icecream.jpg

o_0 are you shitting me? why? oh i am so going to search for the explanation to that law. i am dying to know what went thru the legislators mind with that law.

riv6672
its illegal to sell ice cream in Newark after 6 pm on Sundays unless the customer has permission from his or her doctor.

Dareangel
Inner Circle's 'Bad Boys' starts playing

Put a shirt on.

Lol you are right about those shirtless guys. the problem is that they dont know the law. they repeat the same bullshit over and over again. they learned that in order to detain the cop must have a probable cause and thats it. but they dont realize that there are exceptions. such as asking for your ID, driving license or checking out if you are drunk. those are specific instructions that overcome general instructions. they dont realize that further when they refuse to do those things, which they have to do, there is already a probable cause to detain them. further arguing is basically refusing to be legally detained and now they can be arrested. and they dont realize that and think the police is not obeying the law. i always facepalm myself when i see that.

Flyattractor
they could easily do this. im not a huge Dredd head but i could e it. like a story from the pov of faction of freedom fighters. they'd have battles with judges and have a small political movement

That has kind of been done. They did it when the Democrat aka Terrorist Party caused enough trouble the Judges let the People Vote to enact a Democratic Government or keep the Justice Dept in Charge.

And yes. the "America" story is one of the Best Dredd Tales of all. Although Dredd is hardly in it and when he is, he is pretty much the villain.

riv6672
Lol you are right about those shirtless guys. the problem is that they dont know the law. they repeat the same bullshit over and over again.
-looks at Dareangel's last batch of posts-

Irony.

laughing

staxamillion
o_0 are you shitting me? why? oh i am so going to search for the explanation to that law. i am dying to know what went thru the legislators mind with that law.

this is where I found the ky shenanigans

apparently it was a ploy to steal horses. thieves would have ice cream in their pocket and the horse would follow trying to lick it

rolling on floor laughing

riv6672
this is where I found the ky shenanigans

apparently it was a ploy to steal horses. thieves would have ice cream in their pocket and the horse would follow trying to lick it

rolling on floor laughing
Egad! An ingenious use of edibles for illicit equine enticement! eek!

staxamillion
holy alliteration Riv

Surtur
I think a prerequisite for winning should be the ability to properly pronounce the word "law".

Dareangel
-looks at Dareangel's last batch of posts-

Irony.

laughing

except i do know a thing or two wink

riv6672
^^^Bad Boys, Bad Boys...

holy alliteration Riv
laughing

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.