Chris Farley: funny or nah?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

marwash22
Do you (did you) find Chris Farley to be, in general, a funny actor?

To me, he was not funny... like, at all. That flailing around and acknowledging that you're a fat person, is not inherently funny to me. I like plenty of actors who use physical comedy (Jim Carrey, Steve Martin, etc.), so that's not the reason I don't like Farley.

I remember enjoying 'Beverly Hills Ninja'... as a kid; but I also liked scratch n sniff stickers and trash like 'Ren and Stimpy' when i was a kid. After I grew up and saw his work as an adult, his shtick lost all appeal and i do not understand why he's praised as a comedy legend.

if you disagree, please explain what made him such a great comedic performer.

Robtard
I enjoyed him in my teens and maybe very early 20's, but the 'I'm a stupid fat person and these are my fat stupid antics' schtick isn't very funny, you can get away with it here and there, but film after film, it gets old and that's all he's really ever had to go on. At least in film. 'Tommy Boy' is the last thing of his I recall that I enjoyed, doubt I'd find it humorous now.

Why I don't really care of Melissa McCarthy, she tries the same shit in many of her films. Granted, they're writing for her and she'd be stupid to not take the money/work.

Zack M
Funny.

Patient_Leech
Lol... funny.

Impediment
Funny, but he did star in some stinker films like Black Sheep and Beverly Hills Ninja.

Tommy Boy and SNL were his best.

Inhuman
SNL skits were mostly good. Especially with co-stars that would help out in the skit.

Movies: meh, hit or miss.

McCarthy is trash though.

Surtur
I picked "sometimes". I like him in two things. Tommy Boy and Black Sheep. Great movies.

Fat guy in a little coat.

ohz8_IafGwE

marwash22
that's the exact thing I'm talking about.

he's fat and he's wearing a small coat... what's funny about that scene?

he's literally saying the words "fat guy in little coat"... to explain to us what we can already see. So not only is the "joke" not funny, it's insulting to our intelligence, like we couldn't see that he's a fat guy wearing a little coat.

it's like a laugh track that tells you when you're supposed to laugh because the joke isn't actually funny.

Surtur
Dude you just do not get the 90s.

He's fat, he knows he is fat. Fatty fatty two by four, can't get through the kitchen door.

Khazra Reborn
I love his SNL skits, but his movies were more or less, all shit.

riv6672
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
Thats about right.

-Pr-
I've only really seen him in Tommy Boy and some SNL stuff in Youtube.

Liked him in Tommy Boy for the most part, but his SNL stuff ranged from very funny to just... Not great iirc.

marwash22
even on SNL, he wasn't funny.

L-nOY_d-vJU

why do you people think acting like a mentally retarded person is funny?

marwash22
a1PUhcqBg98

"general idiocy"

perfect encapsulation for his comedy.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn

Pretty much how I feel. But he showed some charm in his movies, so there's that.

No one's saying he's high-brow humor. But he was funny. His complete inhibition and dedication to humor is very much like Jim Carey or Will Farrell. So yeah, he's a legend.

This probably belonged in the celebrity forum, but I guess too much was at stake with wash's ego on the line. roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing out loud

steverules_2
Feel like this is more of a rant thread

Tbh I don't think I've see him in anything I've watched, looking at his stuff I don't think I'd find him funny at all so I'll stay clear of him and let marwash keep complaining about how Farley is a terrible human being

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Impediment
Funny, but he did star in some stinker films like Black Sheep and Beverly Hills Ninja.

Tommy Boy and SNL were his best. wtf, how did you not like Beverly Hills Ninja? Its up there WITH Tommy Boy for me.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by marwash22
even on SNL, he wasn't funny.

L-nOY_d-vJU

why do you people think acting like a mentally retarded person is funny?

I suppose you disliked Billy Madison too, huh?

Anyway, let people have their tastes dude. To me, Chris Farley was hilarious, although no one compares to the king (Rodney Dangerfield).

Patient_Leech
This is an old and obscure SNL skit that my brother and I quote all the time. It's a classic. For some reason it's never on YouTube, but it's pretty hilarious, and not just about Chris Farley, though he's in it...

https://vimeo.com/14375224

marwash22
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
This probably belonged in the celebrity forum, but I guess too much was at stake with wash's ego on the line. roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing out loud ego? That doesn't even make sense. I know I'm in the minority thinking he's not funny. I wasn't looking for validation. I was looking for other people to explain why they thought the guy was funny.

i made the thread so the discussion could be had without derailing the other thread where the conversation started.

you seem to be taking this way more personal than i am.

carthage
I liked Tommy B0y and his stints on SNL were pretty funny like that NyQuil commercial where it put him in a coma for 6 months/the infamous Chippendales skit. I have a feeling he knew his shtick wasn't sustainable hence why he was going for Shrek, but overall I like him when he was given the right role.

RIP, Tommy Boy is just one of the films that defined growing up for me. I remember most of the scenes and love the road trip aspect of it

marwash22
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I suppose you disliked Billy Madison too, huh? love 'Billy Madison'. Chris wasn't in it enough or over the top enough to effect the movie for me.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Anyway, let people have their tastes dude. bermm

did you see the poll? I'm not telling people what to like, I'm asking for reasons why people like what they like.

Ryanrojas300@gm
Dude whoever you are thank you soo much for this i have been researching this guy forever and grew up with everyone loving him so much for his comic genius the problem is he only does 20 swconds of comedy and its the exact same every time busts the door down screams and yells gets really nervous and getty in the interview and wuickly bursts out again... he seems like he actually would be really funny in real life and a genuinly awesome guy but i dont have any evidence that he can be funny in any other way then what we both mentioned. And when i dare say it in public i am shot down right awayevrytime with the same bs omg you just havent seen the good stuff or he was hurting inside which has nothing to do with why i dont find him funny actually maybe it does because everyone would just egg on his coke fueld style so he gave them what they wanted i bet if more people would have asked for more then a screaming ape he might have appreciated it and been a lil more himself once in a while but noone wants to see the real guy they just ignore the provoke the issue untill someone dies and then afterward they say thimgs like he was hurting so much i feel like it was easy to tell that he was going to die he was always more loud and coked out then the time before. And i truly blame his friends for letting it go down so blatently because he was the actual star so they didnt wana risk not getting more paychecks at his huge exspense. Also the fans for egging it on... oh yea and the classic response when i ask how hes funny. Living in a van down by the river thats all they ever axtually know

Ryanrojas300@gm
Dude whoever you are thank you soo much for this i have been researching this guy forever and grew up with everyone loving him so much for his comic genius the problem is he only does 20 swconds of comedy and its the exact same every time busts the door down screams and yells gets really nervous and getty in the interview and wuickly bursts out again... he seems like he actually would be really funny in real life and a genuinly awesome guy but i dont have any evidence that he can be funny in any other way then what we both mentioned. And when i dare say it in public i am shot down right awayevrytime with the same bs omg you just havent seen the good stuff or he was hurting inside which has nothing to do with why i dont find him funny actually maybe it does because everyone would just egg on his coke fueld style so he gave them what they wanted i bet if more people would have asked for more then a screaming ape he might have appreciated it and been a lil more himself once in a while but noone wants to see the real guy they just ignore the provoke the issue untill someone dies and then afterward they say thimgs like he was hurting so much i feel like it was easy to tell that he was going to die he was always more loud and coked out then the time before. And i truly blame his friends for letting it go down so blatently because he was the actual star so they didnt wana risk not getting more paychecks at his huge exspense. Also the fans for egging it on... oh yea and the classic response when i ask how hes funny. Living in a van down by the river thats all they ever axtually know

Ryanrojas300@gm
He did gave charm you could tell that he was capable of doing it and it was amazing the first time you saw it but after like the third timenur like oh hes screaming and forociously moving his arms again ohhhhh booooyyyyyy!!!! Super funny in billy madison super funny when he did those sketches with adam sandler where he played the old housewife i think thay was his best shit but im sure nobody will agree because he doesnt scream or purposely fall and break something and act like its brlievable at all

relentless1
some of his SNL stuff was pretty good but he sucks in films

Jmanghan
Originally posted by marwash22
Do you (did you) find Chris Farley to be, in general, a funny actor?

To me, he was not funny... like, at all. That flailing around and acknowledging that you're a fat person, is not inherently funny to me. I like plenty of actors who use physical comedy (Jim Carrey, Steve Martin, etc.), so that's not the reason I don't like Farley.

I remember enjoying 'Beverly Hills Ninja'... as a kid; but I also liked scratch n sniff stickers and trash like 'Ren and Stimpy' when i was a kid. After I grew up and saw his work as an adult, his shtick lost all appeal and i do not understand why he's praised as a comedy legend.

if you disagree, please explain what made him such a great comedic performer. I loved tommy boy and beverly hills ninja, but I'd say if you want physical comedy, go watch some Jim Carrey, Bruce Campbell, Three Stooges, etc.

A lot of people just did it better then him, but that doesn't make him bad.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.