KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Chris Farley: funny or nah?

Did you find Chris Farley to be a funny actor?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
YES: he's a legend. 6 30.00%
NO: he was never funny. 6 30.00%
SOMETIMES: in certain roles (list what they are) 8 40.00%
Total: 20 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Chris Farley: funny or nah?
Started by: marwash22

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Chris Farley: funny or nah?

Do you (did you) find Chris Farley to be, in general, a funny actor?

To me, he was not funny... like, at all. That flailing around and acknowledging that you're a fat person, is not inherently funny to me. I like plenty of actors who use physical comedy (Jim Carrey, Steve Martin, etc.), so that's not the reason I don't like Farley.

I remember enjoying 'Beverly Hills Ninja'... as a kid; but I also liked scratch n sniff stickers and trash like 'Ren and Stimpy' when i was a kid. After I grew up and saw his work as an adult, his shtick lost all appeal and i do not understand why he's praised as a comedy legend.

if you disagree, please explain what made him such a great comedic performer.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 08:01 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

I enjoyed him in my teens and maybe very early 20's, but the 'I'm a stupid fat person and these are my fat stupid antics' schtick isn't very funny, you can get away with it here and there, but film after film, it gets old and that's all he's really ever had to go on. At least in film. 'Tommy Boy' is the last thing of his I recall that I enjoyed, doubt I'd find it humorous now.

Why I don't really care of Melissa McCarthy, she tries the same shit in many of her films. Granted, they're writing for her and she'd be stupid to not take the money/work.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Last edited by Robtard on Aug 24th, 2017 at 08:14 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 08:11 PM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Funny.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 08:13 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Lol... funny.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 08:14 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Impediment
Endless

Funny, but he did star in some stinker films like Black Sheep and Beverly Hills Ninja.

Tommy Boy and SNL were his best.

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 08:23 PM
Impediment is online now! Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Inhuman
|||||||||||||||||

SNL skits were mostly good. Especially with co-stars that would help out in the skit.

Movies: meh, hit or miss.

McCarthy is trash though.

Last edited by Inhuman on Aug 24th, 2017 at 08:32 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 08:26 PM
Inhuman is currently offline Click here to Send Inhuman a Private Message Find more posts by Inhuman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

I picked "sometimes". I like him in two things. Tommy Boy and Black Sheep. Great movies.

Fat guy in a little coat.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 08:59 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

that's the exact thing I'm talking about.

he's fat and he's wearing a small coat... what's funny about that scene?

he's literally saying the words "fat guy in little coat"... to explain to us what we can already see. So not only is the "joke" not funny, it's insulting to our intelligence, like we couldn't see that he's a fat guy wearing a little coat.

it's like a laugh track that tells you when you're supposed to laugh because the joke isn't actually funny.

Last edited by marwash22 on Aug 24th, 2017 at 09:09 PM

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 09:06 PM
marwash22 is currently offline Click here to Send marwash22 a Private Message Find more posts by marwash22 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Surtur
Restricted

Account Restricted

Dude you just do not get the 90s.

He's fat, he knows he is fat. Fatty fatty two by four, can't get through the kitchen door.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 09:12 PM
Surtur is currently offline Click here to Send Surtur a Private Message Find more posts by Surtur Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Khazra Reborn
Champion of Midgard

I love his SNL skits, but his movies were more or less, all shit.

Besieged by countless foes, his eyes they are aglow, longing for the fight. He stands upon a mound, doesn't aim the throw, just lets the hammer fly!

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 10:07 PM
Khazra Reborn is currently offline Click here to Send Khazra Reborn a Private Message Find more posts by Khazra Reborn Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn

Thats about right.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 10:11 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
-Pr-
Hey Yo!

I've only really seen him in Tommy Boy and some SNL stuff in Youtube.

Liked him in Tommy Boy for the most part, but his SNL stuff ranged from very funny to just... Not great iirc.

Fuck Putin. Help Ukraine

Unicef
UN Refugee Agency
Red Cross

"What does not kill me... is not trying hard enough."

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 10:11 PM
-Pr- is currently offline Click here to Send -Pr- a Private Message Find more posts by -Pr- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

even on SNL, he wasn't funny.

why do you people think acting like a mentally retarded person is funny?

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 10:53 PM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

"general idiocy"

perfect encapsulation for his comedy.

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 10:55 PM
Patient_Leech
System Failure

Originally posted by Khazra Reborn

Pretty much how I feel. But he showed some charm in his movies, so there's that.

No one's saying he's high-brow humor. But he was funny. His complete inhibition and dedication to humor is very much like Jim Carey or Will Farrell. So yeah, he's a legend.

This probably belonged in the celebrity forum, but I guess too much was at stake with wash's ego on the line. roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing out loud

Old Post Aug 24th, 2017 11:50 PM
Patient_Leech is currently offline Click here to Send Patient_Leech a Private Message Find more posts by Patient_Leech Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
steverules_2

Feel like this is more of a rant thread

Tbh I don't think I've see him in anything I've watched, looking at his stuff I don't think I'd find him funny at all so I'll stay clear of him and let marwash keep complaining about how Farley is a terrible human being

I'm Bada's pimp

I created Raptor Bada, Donald, and Sparkles

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 12:13 AM
steverules_2 is online now! Click here to Send steverules_2 a Private Message Find more posts by steverules_2 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by Impediment
Funny, but he did star in some stinker films like Black Sheep and Beverly Hills Ninja.

Tommy Boy and SNL were his best.
wtf, how did you not like Beverly Hills Ninja? Its up there WITH Tommy Boy for me.

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 12:19 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jmanghan

Originally posted by marwash22
even on SNL, he wasn't funny.

why do you people think acting like a mentally retarded person is funny?

I suppose you disliked Billy Madison too, huh?

Anyway, let people have their tastes dude. To me, Chris Farley was hilarious, although no one compares to the king (Rodney Dangerfield).

Warrior of Light Respect Thread

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 12:22 AM
Jmanghan is currently offline Click here to Send Jmanghan a Private Message Find more posts by Jmanghan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Patient_Leech
System Failure

This is an old and obscure SNL skit that my brother and I quote all the time. It's a classic. For some reason it's never on YouTube, but it's pretty hilarious, and not just about Chris Farley, though he's in it...

https://vimeo.com/14375224

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 12:30 AM
marwash22
HELL YEAH.

Originally posted by Patient_Leech
This probably belonged in the celebrity forum, but I guess too much was at stake with wash's ego on the line. roll eyes (sarcastic) laughing out loud
ego? That doesn't even make sense. I know I'm in the minority thinking he's not funny. I wasn't looking for validation. I was looking for other people to explain why they thought the guy was funny.

i made the thread so the discussion could be had without derailing the other thread where the conversation started.

you seem to be taking this way more personal than i am.

Old Post Aug 25th, 2017 12:30 AM