Hela vs. Voldemort

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stigma
They start 100 feet apart.

Setting: Chicago, Willis Tower

Who wins?

KingD19
Hela throws a sword 100 feet. /thread

Stigma
What about Voldy's avada kedavra?

KingD19
A killing spell on the Goddess of Death? What if they used Fiendfyre on Human Torch?

BruceSkywalker
Voldy dies horribly

Utrigita
Originally posted by KingD19
A killing spell on the Goddess of Death? What if they used Fiendfyre on Human Torch?

It's magical in nature so I could see the argument being made for that having a effect on Human Torch, but I agree entirely with the comparison. You could also throw water at Aquaman.

Stigma
Huh, so noone is backing up Voldemort here? I guess I overestimated him.

Placidity
Originally posted by Utrigita
It's magical in nature so I could see the argument being made for that having a effect on Human Torch, but I agree entirely with the comparison. You could also throw water at Aquaman.

Well to be fair, you can "throw" water on a regular person and it wouldn't hurt...

"goddess of death" is just a name - unlike Thor, she doesn't display any powers embodying death, decay, corruption etc. Aside from the comics/Norse mythology reference, her name probably comes from her enjoyment/adeptness at killing people (Odin's "executioner"wink.

I see no reason why AK wouldn't affect Hela *unless* her level of sorcery is higher than that of the HP-verse.

If one really wanted to make an argument, then we should all be reminded that the writers decided to get cute in the first movie, where Thor states magic does not exist, and it is only "science" not yet understood (or something along those lines).

Placidity
And to further jump on the analogy train: Using an electric shock device on the god of thunder - oh wait...

Silent Master
There's no evidence that the obedience disk is electricity based. By the way, if you actually look at the definition of science, magic as seen in the MCU and other fictional universes would easily qualify.

KingD19
The obedience disks weren't electricty based. Electricity was involved, but it seemed to be some sort of fast acting poison/paralytic agent similar to getting tased. Because getting tased doesn't cause your veins to turn blue and stick out of your skin.

Also, Thor said Asgardian "magic" is simply tech so advanced it seems like magic to humans. He never said magic isn't real, because that would mean Fenris, Surtur, etc... are all science based. And they're not.

Silent Master
IIRC, He actually said that your ancestors called it magic, you call it science. To Asgardians it's one and the same.

Thor never said magic doesn't exist or that Asgardians don't use it. In fact, in every subsequent example its referred to as magic, spells or something they were taught.

KingD19
Originally posted by Silent Master
IIRC, He actually said that your ancestors called it magic, you call it science. To Asgardians it's one and the same.

Thor never said magic doesn't exist or that Asgardians don't use it. In fact, in every subsequent example its referred to as magic, spells or something they were taught.

You're right. That is the more accurate quote.

And that's also correct. Loki and Odin mention Friga teaching Loki all his magic and illusions for example.

KingD19
Originally posted by Placidity
Well to be fair, you can "throw" water on a regular person and it wouldn't hurt...

"goddess of death" is just a name - unlike Thor, she doesn't display any powers embodying death, decay, corruption etc. Aside from the comics/Norse mythology reference, her name probably comes from her enjoyment/adeptness at killing people (Odin's "executioner"wink.

I see no reason why AK wouldn't affect Hela *unless* her level of sorcery is higher than that of the HP-verse.

If one really wanted to make an argument, then we should all be reminded that the writers decided to get cute in the first movie, where Thor states magic does not exist, and it is only "science" not yet understood (or something along those lines).

Hela straight up brings ancient Asgardian soldiers and Fenris back to life by corrupting the Eternal Flame with her own powers. How is that not displaying any powers over death?

But let's be honest, Voldemort gets a sword through his gut before he realizes what's going on. Hela was fast as shit compared to other Asgardians. Voldemort couldn't land hits on Harry.

Silent Master
Not to mention the AK isn't foolproof, at least 2 people have survived it.

KingD19
Also Hela ignored multiple "fatal" wounds. She just healed immediately if she even got injured.

Stigma
Originally posted by Silent Master
Not to mention the AK isn't foolproof, at least 2 people have survived it.
Hmm. That's a fair point.

I wonder what other spells Voldermort can use to harm Hela.

Josh_Alexander
Hela Wins!

Too fast for Voldi, and his spells may not even have an effect on her so....Voldi loses this one.

*Hoping for Quanchi not to come all grumpy at me* laughing out loud

steverules_2
Where's Quan? Did Rob finally kill him?

Stigma
Originally posted by steverules_2
LOL, why so brutal.

But yeah, a case for Voldy needs to be made. So far voices backing up Hela are dominating this thread.

Utrigita

Well I must admit that the image in my head when I said that was from Justice League Unlimited:

-PRJnLBva3w

I was under the impression that she used her powers to revive and control the dead Soldiers of Asgard after she returned and wiped out the Warrios Three and the rest of the asgardian Army, or have I misunderstood?

I would argue that the Marvel Universes approach to magic as per Doctor Strange has changed to it being a force of mysticisme rather then technology. Unless we make a clear distinction between Asgardian "magic" and "human" magic.

TheVaultDweller
Well, based on how Kevin Feige has described it in a few interviews, "magic" in the MCU is the manipulation of energies drawn from other dimensions. For example, in one interview, he mentions how Scarlet Witch's powers work off the same basic principles as MCU Earth Sorcerers. But it comes across differently due to the manner in which they draw and use the energy.

And similar things have been said about other "magical" characters, even the likes of Ghost Rider. How "Hell" is simply another dimension from which "magical" energy can be drawn. The last season of Agents of Shield actually went into some detail about it, with the whole Darkhold plotline.

So, it could be interpreted as either mystical or scientific, depending on the level of understanding various individuals have of these energies. Which completely fits into what Thor said previously about it.

TheVaultDweller
I mean even in Dr Strange itself, the Ancient One tells Strange that he doesn't need to think of what they do as "spells" if he doesn't want to, but rather a "program" or "source code" they use to achieve their effects. So, it really comes down to perspective and choice of terminology.

Placidity
Originally posted by Utrigita

I was under the impression that she used her powers to revive and control the dead Soldiers of Asgard after she returned and wiped out the Warrios Three and the rest of the asgardian Army, or have I misunderstood?

I believe she partially did that, she had to use the Eternal Flame to resurrect them. But to resurrect them as undead (I think Fenris Wolf appeared rather normal/alive?) seems to be her doing, although we can't be sure. It has been used twice - once on the forementioned fallen Asgardians, and once on Surtur. The key detail is Surtur was resurrected as his former self, and not "zombie-like". However the other key detail is that the flame itself is from Surtur, so that might explain the difference in effect.

Aside from this arguable feat, as formidable and evil-green coloured as she is, she doesn't even begin to earn the title goddess of death.

This leads me to think of a maybe interesting fight. Who would win - Hela, or...

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/117031/5878665-8790487196-tumbl.gif

Placidity
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
Well, based on how Kevin Feige has described it in a few interviews, "magic" in the MCU is the manipulation of energies drawn from other dimensions. For example, in one interview, he mentions how Scarlet Witch's powers work off the same basic principles as MCU Earth Sorcerers. But it comes across differently due to the manner in which they draw and use the energy.

And similar things have been said about other "magical" characters, even the likes of Ghost Rider. How "Hell" is simply another dimension from which "magical" energy can be drawn. The last season of Agents of Shield actually went into some detail about it, with the whole Darkhold plotline.

So, it could be interpreted as either mystical or scientific, depending on the level of understanding various individuals have of these energies. Which completely fits into what Thor said previously about it.

Interesting points, but I don't actually believe magic doesn't exist in MCU. Was just throwing something into the mix.

I do dislike the idea of Thor's world just being "hi-tech".

Utrigita
I believe she partially did that, she had to use the Eternal Flame to resurrect them. But to resurrect them as undead (I think Fenris Wolf appeared rather normal/alive?) seems to be her doing, although we can't be sure. It has been used twice - once on the forementioned fallen Asgardians, and once on Surtur. The key detail is Surtur was resurrected as his former self, and not "zombie-like". However the other key detail is that the flame itself is from Surtur, so that might explain the difference in effect.

Aside from this arguable feat, as formidable and evil-green coloured as she is, she doesn't even begin to earn the title goddess of death.

This leads me to think of a maybe interesting fight. Who would win - Hela, or...

https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11/117031/5878665-8790487196-tumbl.gif

True, I need to rewatch it but still a strange difference. It could boil down to Fenris and Surtur being another kind of beings then the soldiers, but the most likely explanation imo is that it's a oversight in order to get good effects in the movie.

I agree that her showings of power is hardly comparible to the power of Hades, I think she would get stomped in a battle with him. Especially if he was at full power.

Interesting points, but I don't actually believe magic doesn't exist in MCU. Was just throwing something into the mix.

I do dislike the idea of Thor's world just being "hi-tech".

As Thor said, it's a mix. The Bifrost clearly has some level of Technology behind it, but I would argue that it also uses magic in order to function.

Utrigita
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller

Interesting. I hadn't seen that describtion before.

Nice find thumb up

relentless1
lol I notice Quan has yet to comment; can't bring himself to put the L down on his boy voldemort laughing out loud

Stigma
Originally posted by relentless1
lol I notice Quan has yet to comment; can't bring himself to put the L down on his boy voldemort laughing out loud
Huh, Maybe he didn't see this thread /shrug

But yeah, so far all people claim Hela is the clear winner. Voldemort might be powerless here.

KingD19
When VOldemort comes up with a spell that can stop 1,000 swords flying at him all at once, let us know lol.

Placidity
Originally posted by Stigma

But yeah, so far all people claim Hela is the clear winner.

I'm a person too Stigma. FeelsBadMan...

Stigma
I'm a person too Stigma. FeelsBadMan...

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/mobile/000/005/393/IKIFEEL.jpg

Placidity
Originally posted by steverules_2

He is also missing from the Hulk v Hela thread.

His absence here reveals something interesting.

As of this moment, the top 10 threads almost all feature Hela or Voldemort in which he is rabidly active. Yet not the ones which pit his idols against each other.

A normal person would enjoy debating a fight between two of his favourite characters.

But someone who has an irrational, almost pathological obsession or idolatry with fictional characters would avoid having to even entertain the thought of one of these characters losing.

Stigma
He is also missing from the Hulk v Hela thread.

His absence here reveals something interesting.

As of this moment, the top 10 threads almost all feature Hela or Voldemort in which he is rabidly active. Yet not the ones which pit his idols against each other.

A normal person would enjoy debating a fight between two of his favourite characters.

But someone who has an irrational, almost pathological obsession or idolatry with fictional characters would avoid having to even entertain the thought of one of these characters losing.
Interesting insights mmm

Yeah, I think by now good points were made in support of Hela defeating Voldemort rather easily.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.